Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Waffle House posted:

"Go long on bets that were already safe, also I am a dicksucker"

I wouldn't have thought Meta was a safe bet tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
do these stupid fucks want a world with a few billionaire geniuses owning everything, a dozen sychophants serving them and everyone else on the streets surviving on moss and insects and trying to improvise a workable smartphone so they can marvel at the wondrous creations of their betters

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

crispix posted:

do these stupid fucks want a world with a few billionaire geniuses owning everything, a dozen sychophants serving them and everyone else on the streets surviving on moss and insects and trying to improvise a workable smartphone so they can marvel at the wondrous creations of their betters

I mean of course. Sure in their mind they are one of those few billionaires, but that seems to be the ideal world they are working for.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
well that's hosed in the head :mad:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'm sure goons are just making a bigger deal about this than it really is

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

B-Rock452 posted:

I think the fact that there has been a movement with workers to improve their conditions has just pissed off chuds to such a degree that they will only be happy if everyone worked in literal sweatshop conditions

There’s this insane fantasy of like big alpha men chopping trees and using big power tools as “real work” where nobody got exploited and workers just used the strength and wit to produce valuable products. It’s hugely regressive and never existed.

It’s a huge romanticization based on top of a complete inability to detect and react to corporate exploitation. They see Elon’s “hardcore code” work and instead of seeing a complete failure to organize and coordinate labor, they see their fantasy made modern.

This is why all of those same types of idiots get into scams. Like crypto. Blind as bats.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

I mean of course. Sure in their mind they are one of those few billionaires, but that seems to be the ideal world they are working for.

I think they actually aspire to be the chief sycophant.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
When is Musk going to fight Uwe Boll?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

jadebullet posted:

When is Musk going to fight Uwe Boll?

Been F5’ing for this tbh

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

These big tech companies just need to force their entire payroll department to quit.

Then they just get to keep all the money because you don’t need a payroll department.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

smackfu posted:

Carmack spent a lot of time on his version of SpaceX but it didn’t work out for him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Aerospace

Worth noting that he worked with a budget that was less than a fraction of a percent of SpaceX's budget, so that something managed to stay in the air for more than a few seconds is impressive in itself.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ElGroucho posted:

John Carmack is basically the genius that Musk thinks he is

I said come in! posted:

What is John Carmack even doing nowadays? I miss when he worked at ID Software.

I highly recommend the book Masters of Doom. It's a great book about the early years of ID.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

what is an API exactly?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

crispix posted:

They want that but set in The Handmaid's Tale universe.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

a set of functions and procedures allowing the creation of applications that access the features or data of an operating system, application, or other service.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

All Parts of the Internet

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

Application Programming Interface. Basically it's a way for a piece of software to allow a computer to talk to it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

-Elon Musk

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

Thanks. I see there's a very mathematical explanation here:
http://h14s.p5r.org/2012/09/0x5f3759df.html

I didn't :lol: but I'm sure more math-minded nerds would.

Yeah my LOL was that its actual """""salient""""" code that if you printed out and open palm slapped down onto Elon's desk, he wouldn't know wtf he's looking at.

This is probably the best vid to explain for non computer touchers but its still mathy, but the content of the code wasn't my point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8u_k2LIZyo

But notice it has 3.4 million views, pretty fuckin' salient if you ask me

See More Butts fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 19, 2022

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

"Texts between Elon Musk & Jason Calacanis posted:

Jason Calacanis
2022-04-15 17:06:33 ( CDT )
Back of the envelope ... Twitter revenue per employee : $ 5B rev / 8k employees = $ 625K rev per employee in 2021 Google revenue per employee : $ 257B rev / 135K employee = $ 1.9M per employee in 2021 Apple revenue per employee : $ 365B rev / 154k employees = $ 2.37M per employee in fiscal 2021

Jason Calacanis
2022-04-15 17:08:07 ( CDT )
Twitter revenue per employee if 3k instead of 8k : $ 5B rev / 3k employees = $ 1.66m rev per employee in 2021 ( more industry standard )

Elon Musk
2022-04-15 17:17:48 ( CDT )
Insane potential for improvement

Genius Musk:
Twitter revenue per employee if 950 instead of 8k : $ 5B rev / 950 employees = $ 3.25m rev per employee in 2021 ( industry leader )

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Improvements in cpus have made doing square roots the proper way faster than that code now, but still a cool bit of history

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Caveat that I have no idea what Pushshift is and it sounds like it's some kind of reddit specific API project that have some Twitter integrations.

You often target error rates like <0.01% or <0.001%. Even that 1% number would be consider abysmal for most services at any kind of at scale application or api.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/elijahschaffer/status/1593520669358452737?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

Hero of the people Elon forcing those soft San Fran soy boys to work like my weird macho fantasies

I'm on a lot of rigs and that's an absolute piece of poo poo rig. Lmao

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Does anyone’s Twitter now scroll in the opposite direction to see the replies? A practical joke by a leaving employee? edit: Awww, they fixed it.

Also, a sigh of relief to see almost no one left at the company supports this rear end in a top hat.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/18/elon-musk-twitter-engineers-workers-mass-resignation?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 19, 2022

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is an API exactly?

Nice try, Elon

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/dreamleaf5/status/1593735078126886913

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Libs don't want to talk about the 75% of requests that work, just smearing the 25% that fail.

In a real job 75% is a solid C.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shazback posted:

Genius Musk:
Twitter revenue per employee if 950 instead of 8k : $ 5B rev / 950 employees = $ 3.25m rev per employee in 2021 ( industry leader )

BIG BRAIN BUSINESS SCHOOL
FINAL EXAM
QUESTION 1 (THERE IS NO QUESTION 2)

You have a business with a poor revenue to employee ratio. Do you:

1. Identify and address inefficiencies within your organisation to enhance revenue generation; or
2. Sack everyone so number go up

Please do not show workings.

Time permitted: 1 minute

p.s. anyone picking option 1 is fired

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I don’t wanna scroll their timeline but I’m assuming it’s like when Bobby Hill wanted to do standup and found a site with jokes meant to appeal to a white audience, from slavery days of yore.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yikes. (that terrible "joke" makes me cringe to think about ("joke" is in parentheses because there is no humor in the image or headline)).

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/elijahschaffer/status/1593520669358452737?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

Hero of the people Elon forcing those soft San Fran soy boys to work like my weird macho fantasies

The person who tweeted this out is a Podcaster and "reporter."

Talk about projection of his own insecurities

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

jadebullet posted:

The person who tweeted this out is a Podcaster and "reporter."

Talk about projection of his own insecurities

and maybe he thinks those guys in the video are actually making lattes?

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Buce posted:

yikes. (that terrible "joke" makes me cringe to think about ("joke" is in parentheses because there is no humor in the image or headline)).

I'm actually kind of impressed by the raw insecurity in that headline. Whichever poor doomed bastard wrote that wanted you to be absolutely sure that you knew that they thought AOC was a dumb-dumb. Could not leave anything to chance, like a toddler who wants you to know where and what the punchline is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

I'm sure goons are just making a bigger deal about this than it really is

Big Tech gonna crush earning when Elon shows them they don't need 2/3 of their API calls

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Monprr posted:

People on the right are just rooting for job losses in Tech.

They really loving hate us because we lean left.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Chuds went from "Learn to code" to "we don't need so many coders" in record time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There are investors who literally make money just listening to Jim Cramer and then doing the opposite

pretty sure those people are just lucky, anti diamond hands have the same accuracy as diamond hands.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

graynull posted:

Chuds went from "Learn to code" to "we don't need so many coders" in record time.

Coding isn't a REAL JOB for REAL MEN where you DRILL OIL and GET DIRTY and HAVE SWEAT and DIE BY THIRTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monprr
Jan 28, 2009

Babylon Bee knows their audience might be too stupid to get the joke so they have to explain the joke in the headline.