Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/1593458337126965250

Which one of you was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
“Incredibly divorced” doing a lot of lifting in that premise.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Karia posted:

What's the matter, McFly? Nocoiner?
*spitting* monero! I hate monero!

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

I feel awful for the Twitter staff (or ex-staff) but aside from them this whole thing is hilariously entertaining. At this rate Musk will have destroyed $44bn within a month? Two months max?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593649356661436417

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oh, he's definitely going to subject them to a series of twisted games in which the losers die horribly.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

They could just write anything it's not like Elon Musk even understands code

quote:

According to Palmer, he first messaged the billionaire on Twitter some years ago after creating a bot that would help detect if there was a cryptocurrency scam in a Twitter mention and send an automated report to the platform flagging the scam, per Crikey.

Palmer said he also worked with Twitter cofounder Jack Dorsey and the Twitter team so that reports would be instantly sent to them, the outlet reported. He also sent the code to other crypto influencers.

"Elon reached out to me to get hold of that script and it became apparent very quickly that he didn't understand coding as well as he made out. He asked, 'How do I run this Python script?'" Palmer said, per Crikey.

"After I gave him the script, I wasn't a fan of him. He's a grifter, he sells a vision in hopes that he can one day deliver what he's promising, but he doesn't know that," Palmer added, per the outlet. "He's just really good at pretending he knows. That's very evident with the Tesla full-self-driving promise."

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Isn't everyone locked out of the office?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Morrow posted:

Isn't everyone locked out of the office?

That's what they thought, anyway.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593652897236934656

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I literally thought this was parody until I checked who Zoe was.

“I need engineers urgently to stop the platform melting down over the World Cup this weekend and to stem the bleeding from everyone else leaving. So right now every engineer in the company needs to drop whatever they’re currently doing and go over their last six months of code commits so I can give them a personal performance review. You might not like it, but this is what peak management performance looks like. :downs:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm willing to bet those "code reviews" are more like a loyalty/rear end-kissing test as well, because it's not like this dude has a loving clue how to read code let alone interpret out of context snippets with ground-zero knowledge of how the systems actually work.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
"Employees are extremely confused" seems like it could sum up pretty much the entire duration of Musk-Twitter.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
By the end of the month the company will be small enough that he can do personal performance reviews of every single employee.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm willing to bet those "code reviews" are more like a loyalty/rear end-kissing test as well, because it's not like this dude has a loving clue how to read code let alone interpret out of context snippets with ground-zero knowledge of how the systems actually work.

he doesn't understand the scope of twitter's problems, which are institutional and regulatory in scale, and instead thinks he's just rebooting a cool tech startup and all these problems are future problems that can be avoided by clever code. thus, he just needs to find the most clever and loyal coders and whip them until they solve the problems

except, twitter isn't an exciting new startup with a lot of future possibility. it's an established, stagnating company with a very clearly defined and tricky set of problems that cannot be circumvented through sheer coding prowess alone. twitter operates in different markets with different regulatory regimes and you have to balance, say, GOP pressures to not crack down on right wingers vs. the german government making pro-nazi speech explicitly illegal. thats much more of a policy issue than a technology issue and musk has signaled he doesn't give a gently caress about policy, he's all about the code. he doesn't have runway to figure out these things, he bought the company on the alleged promise that he has some kind of plan and he immediately started loving up the second he took over

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I would be extremely worried about workplace violence if I walked into that building right now.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Breaking news all twitter engineers fired because they were encouraged to make commits as small as possible

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Like, it's interesting in that Twitter probably could have been run on a skeleton crew of like 25% of it's former workforce and still functioned as it currently does, and that matches the direction of the rest of Big Tech atm.

It's not yet clear that Twitter can run on its skeleton crew. We don't know if it can still respond to major traffic spikes (like this weekend's World Cup), or if it can recover from bad software roll-outs, or if it can still resist nation states trying to hack it, or if it can survive the fines from being unable to comply with regulations. And even if they can do all of that, it's unclear whether they can still release any new features or continue to monetize successfully enough to pay off their investors.

I think there are a lot of tech MBAs out there right now thinking that they can cut work forces by 75%, but I think there's a good chance Twitter goes down as a cautionary tale for exactly why you don't do that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm sure you could get Twitter down to a skeleton crew, but you'd have to do it slowly and take great care to preserve institutional knowledge and key employees and reduce bus factors in key areas. Junk a bunch of features, pare everything down, etc.

You don't do it by having a chaos monkey as CEO.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Now he wants them to fly into SF on like an hour's notice and be there by midnight, because he is utterly divorced from reality.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593665774744350721

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Imagine paying a Thanksgiving-priced ticket, packing your bags in an hour and braving the holiday airport chaos for this. The desperate visa holders will feel they have to do this. How depressing it must be.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Imagine paying a Thanksgiving-priced ticket, packing your bags in an hour and braving the holiday airport chaos for this. The desperate visa holders will feel they have to do this. How depressing it must be.

To be fair I'd be surprised if the visa holders live terribly far from the office anyway.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah my experience with the H1B crowd is they put down in the apartment right next to the job. They're not tied down to a house because they don't want that boat anchor if they have to leave the country.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
In other countries you have until the Visa expires to find another job. In the US you have 60 days to find something or leave, and I think it used to be less than that.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Cabbit posted:

Now he wants them to fly into SF on like an hour's notice and be there by midnight, because he is utterly divorced from reality.

Surely the Great Coder will arise out of this sincere coding patch if he stays up all night waiting for it!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cabbit posted:

Absolutely incredible how much being rich has broken this guy's brain

"Yeah I suppose you can Zoom, but can't you just hop on a quick transcontinental flight? Just tell your pilot to meet you on the tarmac?"

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

“Incredibly divorced”
thread title

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Meanwhile, Elizabeth Holmes is going to jail for eleven years, so it's not all bad.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Absolutely incredible how much being rich has broken this guy's brain

"Yeah I suppose you can Zoom, but can't you just hop on a quick transcontinental flight? Just tell your pilot to meet you on the tarmac?"

If I was a remote worker for Twitter and lived in a town that had a handful of other twitter employees, I would charter a jet for this and bill it to the company.

Although with the layoffs there's probably noone around to pay the invoice so good luck finding a charter company that would take your business.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

Surely the Great Coder will arise out of this sincere coding patch if he stays up all night waiting for it!

I appreciate this contribution to the forums.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593767953706921985?s=46&t=D4uJdBV1HuNx8POSVshLPw

[sideshow bob crack ping dot gif]

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Poll is currently 60-40% yes, with 1.5 million votes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s not even a good lickspittle.

He can omit the “former”. DJT’s allies do it all the time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Been casually refreshing it the last 20 minutes or so and No is slowly but steadily gaining.

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 19, 2022

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Thing is, he’ll reinstate Trump regardless. If folks vote yes then he can go ‘well twitter voted yes’ and if they vote no he’ll’do it for the lols’ or whatever.

Bonus comedy: Trump only gets to come back to a broken and I working twitter, and then rages because of it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Anno posted:

Been casually refreshing it the last 20 minutes or so and No is slowly but steadily gaining.

No went from like 40% to 40.3% with an extra 400k votes. Don't really see that as much movement.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

No went from like 40% to 40.3% with an extra 400k votes. Don't really see that as much movement.

Maybe, it has a whole day to go. It's already changed .9% since it was posted in this thread.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
online polls are bullshit, also even if it was a 50.00....000001% favor in No, musky would go "clearly sjw lib bots"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Sure, Elon, letting the orange pissbaby back on the platform you're actively burning down is a great idea. :getin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fighting Trousers posted:

Sure, Elon, letting the orange pissbaby back on the platform you're actively burning down is a great idea. :getin:

For the love of God, Montreboer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Up to 42% no. Getting big “stop the count” energy from watching it slowly tick up.

I don’t honestly care that much what the ultimate decision is, I just want all of the “Trump loses third popular vote” headlines this should generate. And you know that fucker is sitting in a dark room starting at this thing.