Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I still really hate the poxbursters/boomers. Once they get close enough there's quite literally nothing you can do to avoid the damage, it feels like.

It feels pretty bad on maps with lots of blind corners and tight corridors, in L4D you could at least bully the boomers and shove them away before exploding them at a safe distance, I don't think you can do the same here but I haven't tried running towards the bomb man yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

explosivo posted:

Alt tab fixed that for a friend of mine last night, or try alt enter to go in and out of wide-screen?

Nah nothing simple gets rid of it. Very annoying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It feels pretty bad on maps with lots of blind corners and tight corridors, in L4D you could at least bully the boomers and shove them away before exploding them at a safe distance, I don't think you can do the same here but I haven't tried running towards the bomb man yet.

You can shove them but you'll still get hit by the blast. I think it's still better than eating the whole blast though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They either don't appear in the meatgrinder until later or aren't in there so I can't test it but I wonder if you can trip poxbursters by shooting them in the legs. Seems like the kinda poo poo this game would do.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

toasterwarrior posted:

I still really hate the poxbursters/boomers. Once they get close enough there's quite literally nothing you can do to avoid the damage, it feels like.

They need a health nerf, they can tank way too much damage

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any way to play with bots in Darktide? The people I'm getting in public matchmaking are really, incredibly bad at this game which is the same experience I had with the beta :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any way to play with bots in Darktide? The people I'm getting in public matchmaking are really, incredibly bad at this game which is the same experience I had with the beta :(

Post-launch according to todays news post.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That foggy special condition looks like crap, though I guess maybe it looks nicer if I turn up the volumetric fog setting

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It's incredible how people will never, ever look behind them and barely try to stay together

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

That foggy special condition looks like crap, though I guess maybe it looks nicer if I turn up the volumetric fog setting

I ironically just had that condition occur just after turning the setting to Extreme to see how it ran. It looked very nice!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's incredible how people will never, ever look behind them and barely try to stay together

Also a shame that veterans just can’t switch to their melee weapon and are forced to lasgun the mauler in their face until they fall down. Tragic, really.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
BTW I tried it out in the training area and yeah, really, really do not loving shoot Maulers in the head. The head is carapace armor, their body and legs are flak armor. Bodyshots all day and use your abilities if you can because they really are chunky boys

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ten minutes left in the return window and I’m weighing the enjoyment of playing with friends vs this being one of the ugliest, worst feeling games I’ve played in a long long time. Some of the worst shooting I can remember. What a let down after how crisp Vermintide still is top to bottom.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fishstick posted:

Flamers sound like an igniting gasrange, bombers have a ping from a grenade pin being pulled and will shout lines like "bomber advancing" , Trappers have female voiced callouts about selling you, and some jingling of chains. Theyre not as in your face as in V2 but after a while you can pick em out.

After getting tired of pubbies ignoring specials I tried veteran and I gotta say - space CoD is a lot of fun.

i still can't hear any callouts like this at all. I'll have to play a round or two with headphones, see if that makes a difference

I get headaches wearing the drat things though, all these years i've never found a pair that doesn't make the sides of my head hurt after an hour, so I kinda hope that isn't the problem lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Probably my biggest complaint with the combat is the floaty melee, like you don't have to be all that close to an enemy to land a hit and it looks like you're just whiffing with your axe and then a dudes head explodes.

Game is a lot of fun though.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

weekly font posted:

Ten minutes left in the return window
This is a beta, steam only counts after release for time played for return, so they say.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Ok so, after a 3 hour session:

-performance could be better
-playing as a veteran in a foggy map with an ogryn in party is kinda frustrating. they're always in the way, they seem forced to dive to force ranged enemies to switch to melee
-going 1-5 as ogryn is terrible, the billy club and the noobtube are incredibly uneven, compared to the knife and the rippergun
-a lot of stuff seems two steps ahead and three steps wrt to the general design notes Fatshark should've managed to pin down while iterating on VT2, from the hub to the shop interface to weapon accessibility.

BUT
when everything clicks, it's a great gaming experience. Tense, visceral, desperate, with inspiring aesthetics to boot.

I hope part of what irks me is a beta thing (like, crafting would fix the randomness of the weapon shop).

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

The game itself is an absolute blast but the sheer volume of crashes I get is insane. Everything has been tried over the last two days and it's just impossible to have fun when you have to reload a mission 8-9 times in a row and then get no credit due to another, unrelated, reward bug.

The crazy part is that earlier today I had about 3 hours with only 2 crashes and no settings were changed after that. I just wanna purge the heretic with my psyker.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Char posted:

Ok so, after a 3 hour session:

-performance could be better
-playing as a veteran in a foggy map with an ogryn in party is kinda frustrating. they're always in the way, they seem forced to dive to force ranged enemies to switch to melee
-going 1-5 as ogryn is terrible, the billy club and the noobtube are incredibly uneven, compared to the knife and the rippergun
-a lot of stuff seems two steps ahead and three steps wrt to the general design notes Fatshark should've managed to pin down while iterating on VT2, from the hub to the shop interface to weapon accessibility.

BUT
when everything clicks, it's a great gaming experience. Tense, visceral, desperate, with inspiring aesthetics to boot.

I hope part of what irks me is a beta thing (like, crafting would fix the randomness of the weapon shop).

I'll agree on the billy club but hard disagree on the toob. CousinOkri just hit level 9 and the Emperor has gifted me a grenade gauntlet, I'll give that a spin though. The only real bug I've come across so far was having 2 bots while with in a team of 4 players, so for a while it was the 6 of us which was fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I vastly prefer Ogryn's club to the knife because it has a better attack pattern :shobon:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like the pipe, the base one is you get is pretty bad though. Get a better one and it'll do work

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m level 5 and I haven’t gotten a good sword yet :( I don’t want the stupid Catachan blade with its stupid counter, I want the other good sword that cleaves through everything and I can stab people with it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

explosivo posted:

I vastly prefer Ogryn's club to the knife because it has a better attack pattern :shobon:

There are two knife attack patterns and two different knives.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Every Ogryn on my team has tried it, successfully putting their body between the burster and my gun so that we *both* get to blow up.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

turned off DLSS and got a VPN im getting way less crashes, not NO crashes mind you but i actually had a game where it didn't crash the whole time, and i havent had one instance where it disconnected me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The purge on Psycher (I think I'm consistently spelling that wrong but gently caress it) has been fixed so now it's somewhere around 1.5x passive, which is nice during downtime.

For his faults he has been great on the foggy maps for popping backline threats you can't see. It's just an issue when you get into healthbar boss fights and when your more punchy classes go down you're struggling a lot because it's down to your sword and gun. Still, he can hold his own, within reason.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been loving playing as Ogryn, but since I play with randoms I'm thinking that Zealot might be an idiot-friendlier alternative. It drives me nuts how frequently I'll find a perfect choke point, call out a horde, then watch helplessly as my teammates rush into it piecemeal instead of waiting 10 seconds for it funnel towards my guy's quasi-invincible rear end so they can blast it apart without putting anyone at risk.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been loving playing as Ogryn, but since I play with randoms I'm thinking that Zealot might be an idiot-friendlier alternative. It drives me nuts how frequently I'll find a perfect choke point, call out a horde, then watch helplessly as my teammates rush into it piecemeal instead of waiting 10 seconds for it funnel towards my guy's quasi-invincible rear end so they can blast it apart without putting anyone at risk.

Zealot really does seem like the most idiot-proof class, in that you can dispatch hordes, not rely on just coherency to keep your toughness up, and can carry a rifle or similar when your special-killers inevitably fail to do their job.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah... I tried Veteran earlier and actually found it kinda fun as well, but going back to the playing with randoms thing, I don't like playing a class that relies on other people not bogarting all of the ammo for me to be effective.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Meeko posted:

Hero Power affects how much damage you do, how much you stagger enemies (both the chance and for how long on both basic attacks and shoves), and how many enemies you can hit at once (where applicable). Your total hero power is based on your equipped weapons and curios - a individual item's power level doesn't directly affect the damage it does per se, so even if one of your weapons is a lower power level than the other, they'll do damage based on your overall hero level (so having a bad weapon makes both weapons worse). If it's like vermintide, each difficulty below the highest also has a cap for how high your power can be. it has no bearing on defense.

cool thanks!

quote:

as for the other question: lol and lmao who knows. just equip the highest power level stuff you get unless you really need a secondary effect until you can get max level gear, then start being picky.

yea that's about what i was expecting to hear

fun, but not good

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah... I tried Veteran earlier and actually found it kinda fun as well, but going back to the playing with randoms thing, I don't like playing a class that relies on other people not bogarting all of the ammo for me to be effective.

People are typically pretty chill in games like this and if you do the ammo callout on middle mouse they'll usually leave the next one or two alone. Not everyone but many.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Bussamove posted:

Six missions in a row now without a drop, this is super.

You’ll need to be using the gear vendor most of the time for upgrades. Post-mission loot seems pretty infrequent.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Thats the fun part of veteran, you're the least ammo dependent class, starting with a large pool and giving you and your whole team more whenever specials are killed. For autoguns which are very ammo hungry you might run dry, but lasguns hardly ever do for me, especially if you play flexibly and save ammo for fighting elites and playing your proper role as a counter gunner to enemy gun squads, spending the rest of the time in melee.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

explosivo posted:

tbqh I actually think the best Ogryn melee weapon I've used has been the shovel. It's the best balance between speed and power and has good sweeps and a charged overhead smash. It's very VT1 1h hammer / mace

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Magitek posted:

You’ll need to be using the gear vendor most of the time for upgrades. Post-mission loot seems pretty infrequent.

Yeah, I’ve been checking the vendor, but with an hour cycle time that’s still 2-3 missions of potentially nothing. Even bad boxes in VT give you scrap and dust.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Pennsylvanian posted:

I have a 2080 as well and this game hates it.

It's kind of seeming that way. Even on low settings I can't seem to get even close to a consistent 60 FPS.

My CPU is a R7 1700 -- maybe that's starting to hit its limits?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yooooooo the braced autogun is so good it retroactively makes me hate the standard autoguns even more. Now this is a proper fuckin' bullethose

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is borderline unplayable in public matchmaking right now outside of 1-skull difficulty which, ugh. I put in 4 hours playing 2-skull missions with public groups and only won one mission. I made it to a whopping level 4 in 4 hours.

In the mission I won, I spawned in to take the place of a player who quit literally right as all 3 of the other players became casualties and I was standing in the middle of a poxwalker horde with virtually no health. Did my dash and danced around with a sword and killed them all, found a medkit, dropped it, healed up, fought my way through a few specials and rescued all 3 other players and we went on to finish it. That was a real drat cinematic and cool moment :c00l:

But it's just absolutely unbelievable how poorly the average player can handle even Level 2 missions. I feel like if you translated difficulties to terminology most games use it would be like:
1) Casual/I just want to see the story/impossible to fail
2) Easy, for players who don't want a challenge
3) Normal, challenging
4) Hardcore

But if you queue up for a Level 2 public mission, teams melt as soon as more than one ranged enemy shows up at once. No one tries to melee ranged enemies. People get overwhelmed by poxwalker hordes and die because they refuse to move their mouse horizontally. Everyone splits up and runs in 4 different directions and you're the only one that's not going backwards. One person runs ahead and grabs every single ammo pack. Someone dies with a scripture and convinces your team not to look for it because "i'll still have it when you rescue me", and you're carrying one of the other ones so you can't do it yourself. No one ever presses the block or dodge buttons. Psykers spend a lot of time headpopping the armored poxwalkers with axes (the ones that aren't even specials) and zero time using it against specials. No one will even attempt to melee a boss even after you break their shield and they're stunned on the floor.

:psyduck:

This game owns because of how much of a badass you can feel like sprinting and sliding and parkouring all over while literally both running and gunning (you can interrupt your reload animation to swap to melee, swing a few times to kill an enemy, then swap back to the gun and be at the same goddamn point in the reload animation holy poo poo) and just generally lets you be some kind of WH40k John Wick but somehow people are just not doing any of that and they are standing there pretending they're an invincible space marine instead.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 19, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Finally did some of the scanner missions people in the thread were hating on and... it's actually not that bad? I could see how someone without an idea of what to do would think it's a 30 minute horde section until a teammate randomly figures out what to do, but it's a rather fun section of finding the objects and scanning them while under pressure and you can have each scan section done in under a minute even if you are mostly doing it by yourself.

Just press 4, sprint in direction of big orb, scan when beepbeep, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

But it's just absolutely unbelievable how poorly the average player can handle even Level 2 missions. I feel like if you translated difficulties to terminology most games use it would be like:
1) Casual/I just want to see the story/impossible to fail
2) Easy, for players who don't want a challenge
3) Normal
4) Hardcore

I don't think that really applies here though. I haven't played a ton but I find the game difficult, am I bad at the game? Yeah sure, this is my first entry to the series but usually missions fail either because the group doesn't maintain coherency (it's usually one person sprinting ahead of everyone else) or you just hit a string of bad luck and things fall apart fast. Getting knocked off a ledge by an explosion at the wrong moment can effectively end an otherwise good run.