Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Trump running in 2024 and about to be unbanned on Twitter. Cool

I will find it hilarious if Elon unbans Trump, Trump abandons Truth Social and it collapses, and then Twitter dies shortly thereafter from Elon's mismanagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I can't loving believe this site is going to outlast Twitter of all things. I cannot loving believe it.

When the curtain falls and the walls come crumbling down, somehow - somehow - this site will still be running and goons will still be posting on this ancient stitched-together mass of spaghetti code and load-bearing slurs.

Astral no poo poo deserves credit for that lol, his nightly descent into the bowels of the earth to battle radium's malformed abominations is the stuff of legends

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Docjowles posted:

I was trying to search for something in the iOS app earlier and it just kept spinning without returning results. The service is crumbling before our eyes :hmbol:

But that rev/employee stat is up! Until the numerator starts going down, too...

Yeah I’m seeing random failures all over web Twitter. Wont load or leave search. Fails to load some images. It’s super laggy, way worse than before.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

cohsae posted:

It would be so loving funny if he reinstated Trump and he immediately tweeted that Elon was a failure as a businessman.

If that happens it'll be fascinating to see whose boots remain licked

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Trump running in 2024 and about to be unbanned on Twitter. Cool

If Twitter had even the barest amount of credibility left it could be problematic.

Now, it's loving hilarious. It's Elon sending more trains into the massive pile of wrecked trains.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

load-bearing slurs

:vince:

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've been a professional programmer with a degree working for 20 years and I don't understand 5% of what the gently caress you just said

When me worse at code, new at job, and working in new language, me able to do better than 25% failure rate even with a fuckup in my process.

cr0y posted:

Are you workshopping your Elon pitch or something

Listen, Elon, I think the move here is to get rid of all the datacenters, and all the databases. Just use VBA SQL, its included in Office 365 and you don't need those pesky servers, infrastructures, and SREs. Just have like 10 desktop computers running Access, they can store all the tweets.
No, I won't take compensation for the title of "main computer dude at storage unit we are renting", I'm just glad to be working on the cutting edge of technology to better humanity.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
what if instead of tweets just big email chains? just cc everyone. Like lol, lmao, why are you overthinking this.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Has anybody tried turning it off and on again?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

WilWheaton posted:

what if instead of tweets just big email chains? just cc everyone. Like lol, lmao, why are you overthinking this.

The reply all storm to end all reply all storms.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I'm actually surprised the Nitter frontend is still functional. I haven't mentioned it anywhere out of fear that it too would implode.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

and load-bearing slurs.

https://twitter.com/dellcam/status/1593713303225651200

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Can’t believe it took him a month. Lind of figured he’d bust in do this, reinstate trump and the Babylon bee, scream gently caress you Vivian gently caress you Chelsea come back Grimes and leave

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

There's a none-zero chance that he'll lose interest in Twitter now that he's accomplished his goal.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

not a surprise. he mad.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

it is now against the tos to break up with me on twitter

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
If anyone wants a timeline with the greatest hits: https://twitterisgoinggreat.com

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593784517890019328

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This guy is a used car dealship owner and he bought one of the most complex communication platforms in the world

Lmao

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Musk's Trump poll now shows as unavailable for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This piece by Ed Zitron is great and savage, I was going quote paste parts but the whole thing is worth a read and chuckle

https://ez.substack.com/p/the-fraudulent-king

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I'm still pretty sure Musk was the guy who donated 8m worth of bitcoin to AJ.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

[opens any random page on github]

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not saying Musk was solely responsible for the success of Tesla or SpaceX, but he had to have some management chops to start two successful technology companies. It's hard for me to square that guy with the edgelord Troll King that Musk is today

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Even from working lovely retail jobs, I learned that someone coming in as an outside hire to a manager or even supervisor position is usually going to be a disaster. Usually, the problem was arrogance and entitlement that they want to mold things to their ideal while making zero effort to learn the company culture, procedures, or internal politics.

This is on a far grander scale but that seems to actually intensify the effect. Elon bought the whole company for 44 billion and made seemingly no effort to learn how or why anything works. Truly intelligent people ask a lot of questions, listen, and have the ability to filter that information. Giving your employees ultimatums, publicly poo poo posting, making GBS threads on your employees, and demanding that they justify their jobs based on arbitrary metrics is a great way to tank the company fast and I'm actually impressed at how fast he's been able to do that.

Basic Startup Philosophy: Move Fast, Break Things!

Elon Startup Philosophy: Break Things Fast, Move!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
He didn’t start Tesla. He bought his way in

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

so I totally don't want alex jones back on twitter but this is clear evidence that musk never wanted free speech, and I hope the right wing echo chamber will all turn on him now

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AndrewP posted:

I'm not saying Musk was solely responsible for the success of Tesla or SpaceX, but he had to have some management chops to start two successful technology companies. It's hard for me to square that guy with the edgelord Troll King that Musk is today

He didn't start either of them, he bought himself in and called himself a founder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AndrewP posted:

:shuckyes:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Starting to question if Musk might try to offload Twitter to Trump and others that would support it.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He didn't start either of them, he bought himself in and called himself a founder.

Didn't he sue them to be called a founder

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AndrewP posted:

Musk bought Tesla

He probably bought Space X as well

Literally the only talent the loving nimrod has is convincing stupid people he's not a worthless piece of poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah whatever value Musk de Leon brings is that he came in with money to start with and he's an able hypeman.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TulliusCicero posted:

Musk bought Tesla

Literally the only talent the loving nimrod has is convincing stupid people he's not a worthless piece of poo poo

Thankfully that whole mirage has evaporated!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm pretty sure he did that a while ago. Shortly after he bought twitter, I remember seeing that twitter's policy was almost immediately revised to remove trans-related rules.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Need the SpaceX Expert to weigh in on this

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593670880676020224?t=Pm7ItWeOCU6Pk2FMctQpGA&s=19

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590384919829962752?t=t7lduu86iFaJL6OQDUdAvQ&s=19

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

Musk bought Tesla

It’s not so much a talent as it is the fact that if you have, effectively, infinite money, you get to take up as much space in the media as you want. Which, in his case, is a lot, making it all the more likely that paint eating chuds on the lookout for a rich idol comes across him.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

learnincurve posted:

Every time I start to feel sorry for the twitter employees I remember something horrible that they are responsible for. Like that time in 2020 when all the open intersex people were hounded off the site and ate permabans by terfs and a complicit mod team.

id assume that moderators and other forward-facing staff who'd have anything to do with user interaction were probably a pretty small percentage of overall staff. the devs, security, network techs, accounting, marketing etc. employees wouldn't have anything to do with who gets banned or not and i wouldn't be surprised if there was a 10:1 ratio there

but most of the employees on the tech/marketing&PR sides of things probably already have new jobs too

the people who probably really got hosed here the most are food services contractors and stuff like that. the people who were years deep into contract work for Twitter they zero reason to expect would vanish, and got blindsided by the entire support market for a multi-billion dollar company's several thousand well-paid employees evaporating almost overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How is the Trump poll going? I want to see results but don't want to encourage this billionaire man child either way

If he does bring him back I'm shutting it all down. I left Facebook like *that*. Twitter is not even close

Sucks for all those govt and corpos that made Twitter their first line of customer communications for emergencies and such