Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I think Glick are about to find out the WEC were using them to pad out a joke grid and now the big boys are here their plan of pinkie swearing they'll do the whole season then buggering off after LeMans isn't going to work so well.

Yeah, though the curious new Italian thing and Adventures of ByKolles are likely in the same boat, at least the Glickenhaus has some proven speed and reliability. I do think it’d take somebody buying one to get a full-season guarantee next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tony Stewart knows which way to point the dragster.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Yeah, though the curious new Italian thing and Adventures of ByKolles are likely in the same boat, at least the Glickenhaus has some proven speed and reliability. I do think it’d take somebody buying one to get a full-season guarantee next year.

ByKolles were essentially already told to take a hike because they only needed 1 patsy and Glick were "ready" first.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

ByKolles were essentially already told to take a hike because they only needed 1 patsy and Glick were "ready" first.

Glickenhaus’ patsy-ness didn’t involve trademark lawyers, in fairness.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
https://www.imsa.com/news/2022/11/05/lamborghini-tabs-iron-lynx-as-team-to-operate-gtp-project-in-2024/

A pink LMDh Lamborghini?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man the Hypercar/GTP era is gonna be fuckin LIT.

I just hope GT3 delivers at Le Mans like it has in IMSA.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We know the GT3 cars can provide a hell of a show over 24 hours, they do that in IMSA as well as the SRO series and Nurburgring 24. So that’s not really the right question.

For me it’s how the ACO integrates them. The real big issue could be limiting only to GT3 cars from brands running Hypercar, for example (I believe that was floated in this whole rumor cycle). It sounds like they’re stepping back from requiring a “GT3 Plus” kit (which was never detailed at all), so hopefully it’s a class brought in as-is.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The GT3 Plus kit was just the single dumbest idea in recent sportscar history and there is a lot of competition.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seems likely, considering Deborah Meyer has been working on getting more women into motorsports for more than a decade.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder if I’ll run into drag strip uncle buck again.

We’re in Pomonathis weekend for the big NHRA season finale. A bunch of points and stuff I don’t pay attention to happened so I guess it’ll be exciting if you like spreadsheets. I’m just here for the Mexican place around the corner. And the chest rumbling zooooooms.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

coconono posted:

I wonder if I’ll run into drag strip uncle buck again.

I think I missed this story. Is he running around breaking into doors with drills or something?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I think I missed this story. Is he running around breaking into doors with drills or something?

nah he was some dude that's banned from the track for "having an opinion." So he was posted out by the Derby Room parking lot in an old El Camino(it might have been a Chevelle with the back chopped out) that looked like he was living in it. He very specifically told me he was not living in it anymore. I think it was his race vehicle at one point because it had all the different stickers NHRA's Tech team gives out on it. Like the ones that get you $50 if you don't go red on a run or hit your time exactly. I listened to the dude for about 2 minutes, felt like 4 hours. Nice enough, however.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Season finale for the World Endurance Championship, the 8 Hours of Bahrain, has gotten underway a little while ago - now about 45 minutes in.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Season finale for the World Endurance Championship, the 8 Hours of Bahrain, has gotten underway a little while ago - now about 45 minutes in.

cant wait for the next couple seasons of endurance in wec and imsa because of all the new spaceships thatll be racing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so the NHRA final finals were this weekend and it was real humdinger:

I can't remember this lady's name but she won her race:
https://twitter.com/KenLeeTroy/status/1591946517665181696

John Force explodededed (and got out and cut a tearful promo thanking our safety team, absolute legend)
https://twitter.com/WillLesterPhoto/status/1591946232880304128

Leah Pruett exploded and won:
https://twitter.com/NHRADragster/status/1591900244333146112

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
You're supposed to keep the fire INSIDE the engine :ohdear:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

cant wait for the next couple seasons of endurance in wec and imsa because of all the new spaceships thatll be racing

Lord yes. We’re finally here, and it deserves more of an effort post, but with any luck we should finally be at the fireworks factory.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Some variation of Putting It In H has been the thread title for 3 years now, are we actually really putting it in H?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Anyone going to Le Mans this year? I thought tickets weren't going on sale until like December but the tour company we're going with told me they bought them already :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Some variation of Putting It In H has been the thread title for 3 years now, are we actually really putting it in H?

Supposedly, it is finally time to shift into "H"

And if you want to instead shift into V8, have 4 hours of no-commentary V8 roar from a vintage Ford GT40 at the 2022 Spa Six Hours back in October.

Robbert Alblas posted:

Onboard racing during the 2022 Spa Six Hours starring the Ford GT40.

Make sure to put your headphones on to fully experience the brutal V8.

It finished P3 while being down on 7 cylinders due to a pushrod failure for the last 90 minutes of the race.

Driven by Oliver Bryant & James Cottingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwDQGGoVPs

Volume up, headphones on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBz3V-U-LAQ

highlight reel of same race here, same amazing audio, less length.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 15, 2022

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

coconono posted:

so the NHRA final finals were this weekend and it was real humdinger:

I can't remember this lady's name but she won her race:
https://twitter.com/KenLeeTroy/status/1591946517665181696

John Force explodededed (and got out and cut a tearful promo thanking our safety team, absolute legend)
https://twitter.com/WillLesterPhoto/status/1591946232880304128

Leah Pruett exploded and won:
https://twitter.com/NHRADragster/status/1591900244333146112

I dont know poo poo about drag racing but I always enjoy your updates, thanks.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You're supposed to keep the fire INSIDE the engine :ohdear:

Internal combustion engine, it’s literally right there in the name

Those are some insane pics

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Lord yes. We’re finally here, and it deserves more of an effort post, but with any luck we should finally be at the fireworks factory.

I should be excited but I'm just not, because fireworks are a good analogy.

It's all fake. There aren't prototypes here, there's a bunch of spec machines with some plastic glued to them that will be BoPed into line and some sub-LMP1 speed "hypercars" that will also be artificially restricted to make sure everyone gets a turn.

The racing will be good, spec racing often is, but the winner will usually be whoever lobbied the FIA best that week and there is absolutely no technology battle. They might as well have gone for straight LMP2 with a spec hybrid.

I'll enjoy the racing but any kind of golden era of prototype racing this isn't, in fact it's confirmation of its probably permeant death.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

I should be excited but I'm just not, because fireworks are a good analogy.

It's all fake. There aren't prototypes here, there's a bunch of spec machines with some plastic glued to them that will be BoPed into line and some sub-LMP1 speed "hypercars" that will also be artificially restricted to make sure everyone gets a turn.

The racing will be good, spec racing often is, but the winner will usually be whoever lobbied the FIA best that week and there is absolutely no technology battle. They might as well have gone for straight LMP2 with a spec hybrid.

I'll enjoy the racing but any kind of golden era of prototype racing this isn't, in fact it's confirmation of its probably permeant death.

To be fair there has not been a technology battle since 2017 so you're half a decade late to the funeral.

This will be infinitely better than a Toyota winning by default forever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

To an extent, what Hypercar/LMDH represent for prototypes (and GT3 for GTs) almost feels like a “end of history” moment. Both being BoP formulas - and Hypercar/LMDH specifically also having a low aero downforce ceiling, allowing the designs to cater to marketing as much as R&D - just means it’s on teams to refine around the margins and make sure the cars are reliable and fast enough.

It feels like the only way to get out of the boom or bust sports car cycle, effectively putting a salary cap on things for a development point of view. The price is just getting too high for development to let things be as open as LMP1H was, never mind things like Group C.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And that's it, racing as a technology sport has been slowly dying for a long, long time and this is the death of the 2nd last place it happens. And F1 becomes more restricted every passing year.

This is separate from racing for racing, for which this is great news.

But I'd literally rather have complete spec racing than this because at least then the team and driver have more input than whoever whined hardest to the FIA. LeMans this year in the top class was entirely ruined because Toyota bitched themselves into the Alpine being slower down the straight than the LMP2 cars its based on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The hard part is that racing as a technology sport has been working on smaller and tighter windows - never mind in fewer series - and losing its impact for decades. I think it would legitimately require ZEV technology to make something interesting out of a much more wide-open series these days, and even in that case it would likely have some spec shared so that OEMs don't go all the way to outer space.

(Quietly I also mourn the tire war, which makes Super GT a pro recommendation, even for its GT3-based class)

I also suspect while the ACO will always be a little indebted to Toyota (and Akio Toyoda is the only OEM representative on the World Motorsport Council from memory), I think this will be the last year we have such silly nonsense. Balancing one true spaceship, a grandfathered LMP1, a budget option, and the absolute goon squad of LMP2s has to be hard work. There will be fewer P2s next year due to having more Hypercar-class entries; Ferrari, GM, and Porsche are coming in, and I doubt any of them take to getting nerfed like Alpine did (hell, look back to the finale last year in GTE Pro to see precisely how two of those brands handle that!).

Again, I'm happy for it to be racing for racing's sake, and will always quietly wonder where it would be different but not for VAG street car engineers cheating on diesels.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I'm old man yelling at cloud here of course. Although GT3 isn't a utopia, there was at least one LeMans Aston Martin were taken completely out of it by an insane BoP change, after qualifying, for a car that was years old.

One thing I don't think is coincidence is that multi year domination in F1 pretty much became a thing with the end of the tyre war. Even Ferrari 2000-2005 were only dominant 2 of those years.

But now it's one less thing that can reel in Red Bull, then Mercedes and now possibly Red Bull again. slightly lovely tyres for Mercedes somewhere in 2014-2021 could have made things much less dull.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Dudley posted:

And that's it, racing as a technology sport has been slowly dying for a long, long time and this is the death of the 2nd last place it happens. And F1 becomes more restricted every passing year.

this isn't anything unique to racing - modern engineering in general is less willing to spend speculatively

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The tech race stopped being a viable field of competition once tobacco advertising went away: instead of half a dozen or more brands pouring cash in to get on top, you get a couple of car manufacturers and maybe a handful of other large brands, but nothing like the parity of outside funding that used to be available.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Race car design used to be more an art than science so a team would consist of a small number of people guestimating the best design then pounding the racetrack. Human knowledge is such that now the best way of making the best car is a team of hundreds of people going through constant testing and simulation. Smart will never trump several hundred monkeys with computer pouring over telemetry/cfd/wind tunnel/fea/engine dynos etc. Plus a lot of cutting edge technology is inherently more complex; a space frame chassis cab be home-brewed, but a moderm toptier car is going to be carbon fibre, and that is inherently more expensive and complex.

You can't unlearn knowledge to return us to racing as it was until the mid 80s. The best you could would to be have a series with a strict cost cap, strict head count limit, a complete ban on testing technologies (wind tunnels, cfd, etc. Only allow fea for designing safety structures), limit telemetry to strictly safety related issues. Force car design to go back to a chief designer and the driver trying to intuit how to make the car faster.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Make everyone publish their R&D data at the end of every season for that season's car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yep, that's the only true way to do it.

In the same way the only real cost cap is "Anyone can buy your car for $500".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

You can't unlearn knowledge to return us to racing as it was until the mid 80s. The best you could would to be have a series with a strict cost cap, strict head count limit, a complete ban on testing technologies (wind tunnels, cfd, etc. Only allow fea for designing safety structures), limit telemetry to strictly safety related issues. Force car design to go back to a chief designer and the driver trying to intuit how to make the car faster.

even then, when Formula E was trying to limit the headcount and areas in which OEMs could throw cubic dollars in order to find a tenth, you still had Porsche stationing people in a hotel not far from the event to run telemetry data and strategy. It's almost impossible to stop.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dudley posted:

Yep, that's the only true way to do it.

In the same way the only real cost cap is "Anyone can buy your car for $500".

I love shitbox racing. Lemme see some old rear end wagon someone threw a roll cage in.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/mattamys/status/1593663365586587658

Lmfao this owns in all the wrong ways

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Add it to the list of baffling decisions the series has made as it scrambles against the reality that no-one really cares about it now all the big manufacturers are leaving.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As near as I can tell, motorsports events are party weekends that happen to involve cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

I love shitbox racing. Lemme see some old rear end wagon someone threw a roll cage in.

I love that the way to get around that $500 limit has been for teams with people involved in racing who happen to “find” things around their workplace that are no longer in use. I think there was a LeMons team of Corvette Racing guys doing just that a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Or you get a group of insanely talented engineers with access to high tech equipment to cut custom designed wing cross sections out of home insulation foam and a bunch of old lovely 90s turbo management tuning poo poo that is never used anymore and it's insanely cheap to go on a totaled Miata that you stuck a hockey puck with a hole in it between the body and subframe where it's bent .

Expertise is free and machine time is free but the materials are what costs in formats like that