Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

teraflame posted:

This timestick trio thing is garbage! Buttons are way too hard to press, needs an obscure coin battery, cant turn it off to save power.. how did websites recommend this?

At least the magnet is strong. But yeah I cannot find a perfect quality timer anywhere.

big fan of the lavatools timer despite it having two out of three of those problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unplugging it to move it to your water dispensing apparatus is annoying at best, especially if your model, like mine, had an attached power cord and not one that could disconnect and leave the other end stuck in the outlet, dangerous at worst, because you gotta make sure you don't forget to shut off the water and overflow the thing and have to dry it off before you turn it back on.
Every Zojirushi I've owned (I'm on my second) has had a magnetic power connector, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

I use mine all the time. In addition to making tea (the main justification) I use it all the time for baking (some water from the boiler plus a little from the tap to get water warm enough to get whatever desired dough temperature I'm after). Handy for instant noodles too, if you're into that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was looking at them recently because I was tired of filling my electric kettle so often. Turns out they aren't much bigger. My kettle holds 1.75L and they have 2L and 3L options. I didn't feel like they were big enough to justify replacing the working kettle. We were also wondering how the pump parts can be cleaned, but didn't get that far.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

100% Dundee posted:

All this talk about roasting chickens and such over the last few pages made me realize that I do not have a decent roasting pan/roasting rack type situation at all. I have plenty of sheet pans and a few cast iron pans that I typically use when I roast things or just generally bake items, but I think it might be a good thing to have.

Is there a preferred or suggested roasting pan/rack that people here use and love? Realistically it would probably only ever used for chickens and larger cuts of beef, vegetables, etc so I don't think I need anything too gigantic as I never plan on doing a turkey or anything that huge.
I know that people here like a sheet pan but I use a big cast iron pan for this and I believe that's part of why my chickens have such crispy skin

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best roast chicken I’ve made has been in a 16” round cast iron pan preheated in the oven. Spatchcock the chicken the night before, salt the skin and leave it uncovered in the fridge. When ready to cook, sear it breast side down in the cast iron, remove and add aromatics/root veggies to the pan the place the chicken on top and back in the oven. Cook to temp and rest. While resting, remove the veggies from the pan and make a gravy with what’s left.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Best roast chicken I’ve made has been in a 16” round cast iron pan preheated in the oven. Spatchcock the chicken the night before, salt the skin and leave it uncovered in the fridge. When ready to cook, sear it breast side down in the cast iron, remove and add aromatics/root veggies to the pan the place the chicken on top and back in the oven. Cook to temp and rest. While resting, remove the veggies from the pan and make a gravy with what’s left.

I'm going to remember this for next time. I roast chickens a couple times a month and follow this pretty closely but I don't sear the chicken first. I typically just put the chicken on top of all my veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onion) and roast all of it together, and I usually make a sauce completely separate too.

The searing step and gravy at the end sound great.
-

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Guy Axlerod posted:

I was looking at them recently because I was tired of filling my electric kettle so often. Turns out they aren't much bigger. My kettle holds 1.75L and they have 2L and 3L options. I didn't feel like they were big enough to justify replacing the working kettle.

Ehr… while Zojirushi certainly has 2L and 3L options, most of their lineup goes up to 5L. "Use it up and wear it out" of course; there's no need to buy something new if what you've got is working for you.

Guy Axlerod posted:

We were also wondering how the pump parts can be cleaned, but didn't get that far.

They sell little citric acid powder clean/sanitizing solution packets. You put one into a mostly-empty boiler and fill it, let it boil, run the whole thing through the dispenser, fill it again (no powder this time), flush the system clean (to clear any residues), and fill a third time (for regular use).

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Cassius Belli posted:

Ehr… while Zojirushi certainly has 2L and 3L options, most of their lineup goes up to 5L. "Use it up and wear it out" of course; there's no need to buy something new if what you've got is working for you.

I guess I happened to pick two lines that only had small boilers. Weird.

quote:

They sell little citric acid powder clean/sanitizing solution packets. You put one into a mostly-empty boiler and fill it, let it boil, run the whole thing through the dispenser, fill it again (no powder this time), flush the system clean (to clear any residues), and fill a third time (for regular use).

Ok, so sort of like an espresso machine. Good to know.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I had a wild idea come to me in a dream last night for mixing up Thanksgiving:

Turkey shwarmas.

Anyone got deets on little countertop shwarma machines? Bonus points if I can rent one.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You can get a generic Chinese one from Aliexpress/Walmart/Amazon for as little as $150.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

teraflame posted:

This timestick trio thing is garbage! Buttons are way too hard to press, needs an obscure coin battery, cant turn it off to save power.. how did websites recommend this?
If you have so few gizmos that take coin batteries that a CR2032 seems obscure count your blessings. I always have a card or two of CR2032 lithiums because I have so many things that take them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always have to keep 2025s and 2032s around. 10 packs are cheap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SubG posted:

If you have so few gizmos that take coin batteries that a CR2032 seems obscure count your blessings. I always have a card or two of CR2032 lithiums because I have so many things that take them.

Owning a Dreamcast is not without its duties.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Owning a Dreamcast is not without its duties.
Or SNES and Genesis/Megadrive carts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Breville Air Fryer on sale for $280

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085FTBLC6?tag=camelalerts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestions for a freezer thermometer? I’m using an external one and thinking the slight leakage might not be that great for the freezer (I’ve only been using it for a day)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Suggestions for a freezer thermometer? I’m using an external one and thinking the slight leakage might not be that great for the freezer (I’ve only been using it for a day)

I have this AcuRite one and it's excellent. It's worth it for the fridge monitoring too, but especially for the alarm. This is the kind of thing you don't think you need until the alarm goes off and your fridge is busted but you managed to save all of your food.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have this AcuRite one and it's excellent. It's worth it for the fridge monitoring too, but especially for the alarm. This is the kind of thing you don't think you need until the alarm goes off and your fridge is busted but you managed to save all of your food.

Good tip about the alarm. I'm about to store a bunch of breast milk into it, and wanted to measure the temp in case it falls below a certain temp. But having an alarm alert me is a much better idea!

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I had a wild idea come to me in a dream last night for mixing up Thanksgiving:

Turkey shwarmas.

Anyone got deets on little countertop shwarma machines? Bonus points if I can rent one.

I was waxing nostalgic about my time in Berlin and all the delicious Doner Kebab a few months ago and did a deep dive. The consensus was that they don't work anywhere near as well as the larger restaurant ones.

I think most videos/recipes recommended marinating or seasoning the meat, freezing it (as individual pieces, or formed into a log if using ground), slicing it super thin when frozen, then pan frying.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PolishPandaBear posted:

I was waxing nostalgic about my time in Berlin and all the delicious Doner Kebab a few months ago and did a deep dive. The consensus was that they don't work anywhere near as well as the larger restaurant ones.

I think most videos/recipes recommended marinating or seasoning the meat, freezing it (as individual pieces, or formed into a log if using ground), slicing it super thin when frozen, then pan frying.

I think that the best fake home kebap is made under a broiler. I like starting with shredded chicken tights, add some fat/oil ,ideally the rendered fat from the first cooking, and flavouring and give it a few minutes under the broiler.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PolishPandaBear posted:

The Serious Eats gyro meat recipe/process works really well. You broil after slicing to get the crispy edges. My local kebap place is more fo a deli that does gyros too and so they don't have a big spit and they pan fry the meat and it's good too.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have made gyros at home using an old Sunbeam carosel rotisserie that came out great.

They made an older metal unit and a newer plastic unit that I'm assuming is the same internals.

You can find them on ebay but if you check your local thrift stores and facebook marketplace you can probably score one for $10 or $20 bucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
REI has a sale right now on some OXO camping cookware, such as a carbon steel 10/12in pans with removable handles for 50% off

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
What is the best mandoline for home use? I neeeeeeeed paper thin potatoes and onions. Budget about 150

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
super benriner or regular benriner depending on the size of the potatoes and onions

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flaggy posted:

What is the best mandoline for home use? I neeeeeeeed paper thin potatoes and onions. Budget about 150

Bron is $156 and has a blade you can adjust to any thickness

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I have a plastic colander but I'd like to get a metal one for draining ground meat that just got fried (sometimes I'm paranoid of melting plastic) and rinsing dal/lentils before cooking (holes are kinda big on the plastic one for split lentils).

Part of me is tempted by these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Colander-Expandable-Strainers-Vegetables/dp/B08BJ7CJWH/ref=psdc_284507_t5_B01MQCHQHD

But the rest of me just wants something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Kitchen-...=A23ADOZFIJNPFB

With the latter I can theoretically put it in a bowl, fill with water, and then pull the colander out to get a lot of the rinsing done quickly.

Any thoughts on the expandable vs bowl design?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bowl colanders are infinitely more useful, you can put them in a bowl, over a pot, if it has a foot you can wash produce in the sink and let it drain, etc

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004
Can anyone vouch for the Bosch universal mixer blender attachment?

I own a cheaper Ninja Blender already but it’s loud as hell, blades are semi dangerous to clean and I’d like to consolidate space a bit by getting rid of it and just having the blender attachment for the Bosch without a base to store.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I've had one of the expanding colanders, and I found it more trouble than it was worth. It was never the size I wanted, didn't quite fit anywhere, and the tubes held water which I would invariably pour on my socks after I washed it.

I switched to this RSVP one that Cooks Illustrated liked, and I've been happy with it. It has a nice high foot, which helps minimize backwash when draining food, and the holes are a good balance between small enough to hold small things and big enough to not jam up with little bits like mesh can. It also avoids the issues a lot of metal colanders have where there's a ring around the bottom inside that doesn't drain.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

I switched to this RSVP one that Cooks Illustrated liked, and I've been happy with it. It has a nice high foot, which helps minimize backwash when draining food, and the holes are a good balance between small enough to hold small things and big enough to not jam up with little bits like mesh can. It also avoids the issues a lot of metal colanders have where there's a ring around the bottom inside that doesn't drain.

Seconding the RSVP, I've had mine for almost a decade now and it's been great.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FaradayCage posted:

I have a plastic colander but I'd like to get a metal one for draining ground meat that just got fried (sometimes I'm paranoid of melting plastic) and rinsing dal/lentils before cooking (holes are kinda big on the plastic one for split lentils).

Part of me is tempted by these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Colander-Expandable-Strainers-Vegetables/dp/B08BJ7CJWH/ref=psdc_284507_t5_B01MQCHQHD

But the rest of me just wants something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Kitchen-...=A23ADOZFIJNPFB

With the latter I can theoretically put it in a bowl, fill with water, and then pull the colander out to get a lot of the rinsing done quickly.

Any thoughts on the expandable vs bowl design?

I often just use a 9-10" mesh sieve strainer as my collander (like this). Between the two you linked I'd do the latter.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I stopped using my metal collanders (both large and small. I like how this thing has a handle on it so I don't accidentally pour boiling water on my hand if I forget to wear a mit. I hate putting the metal ones in the sink to drain- also they don't drain very well. Since I only really cooks for myself and my spouse it's the perfect size for me.

I'd prefer if it was metal and not plastic but whatever.

E: No clue what brand it is though as it was bought quite a while ago. I think we may have gotten it at target or 5 below. It drains spaghetti, shells, penne, ziti and rigatoni very well, rather than the water pooling in my metal colanders.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2022

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014
Any recommendations for a cheapish electric kettle or somewhere to find one? I'm just ~1.7 liters, variable temp control, and a standard spout. I've already bought 2 this year that have failed within a couple of months, so am just looking for something that would actually work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bear Throne posted:

Any recommendations for a cheapish electric kettle or somewhere to find one? I'm just ~1.7 liters, variable temp control, and a standard spout. I've already bought 2 this year that have failed within a couple of months, so am just looking for something that would actually work.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-PerfecTemp-1-7-Liter-Stainless-Cordless/dp/B07NY54WDZ/

$74, 6 different temp settings, mine has lasted 9 years so far

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have it too, works great for tea and manual espresso. Not accurate enough temp control for the latter but I have a thermapen so no worries.

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I have it too, works great for tea and manual espresso. Not accurate enough temp control for the latter but I have a thermapen so no worries.

thanks a bunch

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Another vouch for that cuisinart, it’s very reliable

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

emdash posted:

Another vouch for that cuisinart, it’s very reliable

Going on a decade w same kettle personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
Lasted about 8 years for me. It's solid.