Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Seems like these bots use full blown headless browser instances so that'll be where all the CPU/RAM is going, 40+ copies of Chromium furiously refreshing as fast as they can could get pretty taxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

repiv posted:

Seems like these bots use full blown headless browser instances so that'll be where all the CPU/RAM is going, 40+ copies of Chromium furiously refreshing as fast as they can could get pretty taxing

So probably not a good idea to try and build a new PC inside that Ridge case if it's going to be mainly used running bot tasks I guess, lmao.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah... sounds like the kind of kid who could use a giant case to deck out for years to come.

Sneaker botting is really lame though. Maybe he'll find some other interesting tech hobbies that aren't crypto or NFTs or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He should probably build a separate sneaker bot PC tbh.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
he should get a less poo poo hobby imo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He should probably build a separate sneaker bot PC tbh.

I told him it'd probably be cheaper to just pick up a used workstation PC with an older 20+ core xeon in it or something.... assuming CPU architecture doesn't matter for bot instances lol.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah I guess. I'm not gonna tell him how to use his PC though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

At least he isnt using his pc to make AI anime titties or deepfakes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Who cares what that dudes doin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
OP what does your bro think of Elon

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

teagone posted:

I told him it'd probably be cheaper to just pick up a used workstation PC with an older 20+ core xeon in it or something.... assuming CPU architecture doesn't matter for bot instances lol.

Are you sure that's how it works? These kinds of things are usually not a case of "more threads = better" irrespective of performance. What usually matters most is overall multithreading performance, and an ancient xeon might not end up much better than his 5800X.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

OP what does your bro think of Elon

Despite running bots on his PC, my brother is like the most un-online person lol. I'm sure he's aware of Elon, because he's looking into buying an EV, but I doubt he knows anything explicit about him/his recent Twitter shenangigans; he's not one to really care about that sort of poo poo. The only social media my bro has is the FB page he runs for a boba tea business that he's a part-owner of. Outside of that, the only online stuff I'm aware of that he does is whenever we play whatever games together lmao.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are you sure that's how it works? These kinds of things are usually not a case of "more threads = better" irrespective of performance. What usually matters most is overall multithreading performance, and an ancient xeon might not end up much better than his 5800X.

I really have no idea, lol. I told him to ask the devs of the bots he uses since he's in their discord if older CPU archicture like a 22 core broadwell Xeon would be fine running their bots. Apparently most users there utilize AWS/Google Cloud compute to handle 100s of tasks as opposed to local hardware, but my brother doesn't want to pay for that since he's more selective over what sneaker "drops" he goes after.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 20, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

teagone posted:

Despite running bots on his PC, my brother is like the most un-online person lol. I'm sure he's aware of Elon, because he's looking into buying an EV, but I doubt he knows anything explicit about him/his recent Twitter shenangigans; he's not one to really care about that sort of poo poo. The only social media my bro has is the FB page he runs for a boba tea business that he's a part-owner of. Outside of that, the only online stuff I'm aware of that he does is whenever we play whatever games together lmao.

My good goon, I was joking

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

My good goon, I was joking

I indulge in every request, joke or not. Lol.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
So I finally upgraded from my decade-old mid-tower to a SFF Meshlicious build over the weekend, while also upgrading my trusty 2700x to a 13600KF and the latest z790 platform.

Bare skeleton:

Half-way there, with a good view of the bequiet Silent Loop 2, 280mm:

Motherboard side everything installed, pre cable cleanup:

MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio also fits, just had to lower the GPU supports by one level:

And there she is closed up, next to the previous case:

Runs really well so far, the difference that new CPU makes is insane, even during normal desktop usage it's really noticable.

I had to lower the pump voltage to 9V to make it really silent though, that mesh case lets a lot of noise through.

Awesome build quality on that Meshlicious though, just as I had hoped.

Xenthalon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 21, 2022

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got my hands on a 4080. My build currently has a Ryzen 5600x, and booted up a few games and the cpu is definitely falling behind. It's pegged at 100% while the gpu barely hits 50% in Cyberpunk. Any path to upgrade my cpu on a B550 with DDR4?

I currently have a Scythe Big Shruiken cooler on it, but I'm on an open air chassis (XTIA Xproto) so there's no real size constraints as far as cooling is concerned.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Romes128 posted:

Got my hands on a 4080. My build currently has a Ryzen 5600x, and booted up a few games and the cpu is definitely falling behind. It's pegged at 100% while the gpu barely hits 50% in Cyberpunk. Any path to upgrade my cpu on a B550 with DDR4?

I currently have a Scythe Big Shruiken cooler on it, but I'm on an open air chassis (XTIA Xproto) so there's no real size constraints as far as cooling is concerned.

5800x3D

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Literally only this.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
thanks! just ordered one. and a new cooler.

gonna look goofy af with a huge 4080 and dual tower cooler hanging off of it, but i'll still love it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

if your gpu is at 50% only in cyberpunk, does that mean you're at 1080p or something? consider upgrading your monitor if so. gaming at higher resolutions is a good way to make use of all that gpu horsepower.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
1440p. i have a 32in kvm monitor that i use to work/game, so i don't wanna replace that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fractal Design finally released a successor to the Node 202, after 7 long years: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/ridge/ridge/white/

Looks like a pretty good console-style case. It's a bit on the warm side according to the TechPowerUp review, though the thermals aren't out of control or anything. The porosity of the ventilation areas seems pretty low, with more solid material than open air. It still seems solid though.
Hardware Canucks review, looks good but limited, just a little more width and height would allow more GPUs and CPU coolers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vIL0MG-NwY

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really considering that case for my next build.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

F.D. Signifier posted:

Hardware Canucks review, looks good but limited, just a little more width and height would allow more GPUs and CPU coolers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vIL0MG-NwY

Wtf am I understanding this right - no dust filters?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

New Optimum Tech video with a 4080 in a FormD T1. I'm in love with this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fZOykkyjQ

I'm waiting for the case to arrive and gonna attempt to do this (except with an AIO) next week.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the king is at it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fZOykkyjQ

Hope to see him do a liquid cooled version with a 7950X or 13900k eventually.

efb!!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hardware Canucks has another video, showing just how many high end GPUs don't fit into the Ridge, but at least there's one that does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEjFHif9oZE

HalloKitty posted:

Wtf am I understanding this right - no dust filters?
That is correct, the previous RVZ02 didn't have dust filters either, that only came with the later ML08 "revision"

I'm sure DEMCiflex will have some custom magnetic filters pretty soon, especially since the sides are all metal, no plastic this time

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

F.D. Signifier posted:

Hardware Canucks has another video, showing just how many high end GPUs don't fit into the Ridge, but at least there's one that does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEjFHif9oZE

That is correct, the previous RVZ02 didn't have dust filters either, that only came with the later ML08 "revision"

I'm sure DEMCiflex will have some custom magnetic filters pretty soon, especially since the sides are all metal, no plastic this time

RVZ and ML08 are Silverstone cases, Ridge is an evolution on Fractal Design's Node 202 which did come with dust filters. Then again, the Node is a pain in the rear end to open while this seems real easy to take apart every couple of months for cleaning.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So 7900XTs fit in smaller cases but use more power and have less performance than 4090s. Womp womp. I’m guessing worse cooking too.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

VulgarandStupid posted:

So 7900XTs fit in smaller cases but use more power and have less performance than 4090s. Womp womp. I’m guessing worse cooking too.

They are also 20% cheaper then the 4080 and 5-10% better in raster but 15% worse in RT then the 4080.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Anyone know if there is a recommended fan configuration for the NR200? I’m trying to decide what and how many fans to buy and I can’t seem to decide.

My current plan is 2 intake from the bottom, 1 intake from the back and 2 exhaust at the top but wanted to get some opinions.

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 14, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If you are doing top exhaust with bottom intakes you don't need that fifth fan from the back. 2x 120mm will do a good job cycling all the air. I had a similar setup in a modded EVGA hadron and found the 90mm back fan to be more of a hassle with the extra wire and having to manually set rpm to be lower to maintain a reasonable noise level.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thirteenth Step posted:

Anyone know if there is a recommended fan configuration for the NR200? I’m trying to decide what and how many fans to buy and I can’t seem to decide.

My current plan is 2 intake from the bottom, 1 intake from the back and 2 exhaust at the top but wanted to get some opinions.

I've got the NR200P max, which is the same I think it just comes with an AIO. I didn't install any additional fans on top of the AIO and I've been totally fine - Control and Cyberpunk both have reasonable temps on my 3070.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.12329/page-123#post-271666
The Dan C4-SFX will be 14.7 liters instead of the previously planned 13.37 (:v:), looking at the compatibility list of currently announced RTX 4080/4090 and RX 7900 cards this makes sense and the larger dimensions probably aren't very noticeable unless you put the smaller version right next to the large one (which you can't).

E: I think 2023 is realistic, but fair: It was already supposed to be out "soon" in 2020 :v:

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 16, 2022

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Re: dan c4x

Phone posted:

2028 is gonna be awesome

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Can't wait to drop my 6090 into one!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

orcane posted:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.12329/page-123#post-271666
The Dan C4-SFX will be 14.7 liters instead of the previously planned 13.37 (:v:), looking at the compatibility list of currently announced RTX 4080/4090 and RX 7900 cards this makes sense and the larger dimensions probably aren't very noticeable unless you put the smaller version right next to the large one (which you can't).

E: I think 2023 is realistic, but fair: It was already supposed to be out "soon" in 2020 :v:

In a way I think it's a mistake to build for 4080 and 4090, those cards are ridiculous and I really hope it's not a form factor that sticks around, the 7900s are normal

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
While the trend for GPU sizes has been going in the opposite direction for three refresh generations now, this case is even more aimed at putting the fastest hardware into an ITX box than eg. the A4 or A4-H2O. He already makes cases where you can only fit 2-slot FEs and approximately three basic AIB models per card. That's also not an exaggeration, the compatibility list for RX 7900 partner cards in the small version of the C4 lists exactly two models. For RTX 4090 partner cards it's zero. He probably wants to avoid the situation of the Dan A4 and RTX 3080 cards, where the compatibility list included FE cards and EVGA XC3 models (which they never really made/sold) and nothing else.

It's not safe to bet on the slower cards ending up being significantly smaller, with the possible exception of reference models. And while FE cards might be almost sensible, their availability is limited (in quantity but especially location, they're not sold in every country) and the alternative partner cards all tend to be (way) larger. For AMD cards the problem is similar, the AMD RX 7900 cards are small (but also somewhat limited by that "tiny" cooler, and also not available everwhere and only in small numbers) while all the partner cards are gigantic. So the 4090 might be ridiculous but the case creator can't really aim for the "average" 4070 or RX 7800 cards which are not out yet, without losing yet another few months. And the lesson from the RTX 2000 and the RTX 3000/RX 6000 generations is that especially the third party vendors will often move their oversized coolers down the stack longer than they need to, in order to save on tooling cost and so they can pump another 20% power through the card for bars that are 5% longer.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

orcane posted:

He probably wants to avoid the situation of the Dan A4 and RTX 3080 cards, where the compatibility list included FE cards and EVGA XC3 models (which they never really made/sold) and nothing else.

The founders edition cards don't really work in sandwich design cases because the airflow can't pass through the card. Maybe there are workarounds but with my A4 it would be a no-go.

I have a 3070 XC3 which just about fits.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC (from reading people using the 3080 FE cards in the A4), they work fine after removing the plastic foil and using standoffs for the riser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

In a way I think it's a mistake to build for 4080 and 4090, those cards are ridiculous and I really hope it's not a form factor that sticks around, the 7900s are normal

Many AIB 7900s are just as large as the 4090s.