Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I still think it's funny that the Imperial records vault they have to break into is set up for maximum excitement and maximum retrieval inefficiency.

I enjoyed it, but I was thinking about whether there was a better way than putting everything on a single precious flash drive that was constantly in danger of falling into Darth Vader's hands.

Literally everything about Star Wars technology is usually set up to be as inefficient and exciting as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Farm Frenzy posted:

mons miserable marriage was also arranged at age 15 unless i completely missed the point of that scene

Yeah, but the daughter wants to get betrothed, and is excited to marry, so there's no particular reason the marriage would turn out badly, particularly as Mon can pick a suitable husband for her.

Mon having a visceral reaction to her daughter appreciating their own culture, and being entirely dismissive of it, it comes across to me as an out of touch liberal, just like the earlier Senate scenes. Though as depiction is not endorsement, we can't know what the writers' room thinks of that, and if they're writing that about coastal libs or as coastal libs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cnidaria posted:

can’t believe they’ve finally made a good Star Wars since Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005)

Shadow of Mordor/War remains the better LOTR story after Rings of Power

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, but the daughter wants to get betrothed, and is excited to marry, so there's no particular reason the marriage would turn out badly, particularly as Mon can pick a suitable husband for her.

Mon having a visceral reaction to her daughter appreciating their own culture, and being entirely dismissive of it, it comes across to me as an out of touch liberal, just like the earlier Senate scenes. Though as depiction is not endorsement, we can't know what the writers' room thinks of that, and if they're writing that about coastal libs or as coastal libs.

Well yeah she is supposed to be a rich elite politician who's massively out of touch even if her hearts in the right place (i like the scenes contrasting Andor getting rewarded with taste in the prison and the senators deliberately putting bitter flavor in their drinks). But also: she has a strong emotional reaction that's got a reasonable foundation even if it can be irrational, she (correctly) interperts it as losing touch with her kid who's rebelling against her, and in that scene she's facing down the realization of the specific lovely circumstances they're all in

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

mon's heavily telegraphed as being ivory tower as all hell with warrenite leanings, and i don't think that's just my own bias

StashAugustine posted:

(i like the scenes contrasting Andor getting rewarded with taste in the prison and the senators deliberately putting bitter flavor in their drinks)

this was so good

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

what are you reading this plot as allegory for?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Farm Frenzy posted:

what are you reading this plot as allegory for?

Like the children of divorce who were put off the whole concept, she's turned her feelings about her own marriage into a stance that can't be reconciled with her daughter's more positive view and that's creating a wedge between them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

slava uchandrila

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

mons miserable marriage was also arranged at age 15 unless i completely missed the point of that scene

StashAugustine posted:

Mon Mothma clearly resents her marriage, both in how it started and how it's broken down; and she's going to be marrying her kid to a gangster for political advantage. This is without bringing in any real world context like "arranged political child marriage is bad"

i dont really see how the sad state of mon mothmas marriage can be blamed on the cultural custom given that as far as i can tell her husband dislikes their home planet just as much as she does like nearly every relationship mon mothma has with other characters can be summed up as she hates them because she hates herself this is also as far as i can tell the main reason shes willing to take such risks picking a fight with the empire at all

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

i say swears online posted:

mon's heavily telegraphed as being ivory tower as all hell with warrenite leanings, and i don't think that's just my own bias

this was so good

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/09/29/andor-creator-tony-gilroy-says-he-views-mon-mothma-as-sort-of-a-nancy-pelosi-character/

Draw your own conclusions

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no, stop. it's not my own bias. please stop

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/TheBatmanFilm_/status/1593703859645550598

no word yet on whether he also has a psychiatrist to vent about his domineering mother and untrustworthy compatriots to

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

that's avian-american discrimination

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont really see how the sad state of mon mothmas marriage can be blamed on the cultural custom given that as far as i can tell her husband dislikes their home planet just as much as she does like nearly every relationship mon mothma has with other characters can be summed up as she hates them because she hates herself this is also as far as i can tell the main reason shes willing to take such risks picking a fight with the empire at all

Well the fact that her husband also resents the situation doesn't change that she also resents it. I need to rewatch too, since it implies they used to be happier together before he got into swapping war stories with Gestapo agents and she got into secretly funding terrorism but also I think she just always disliked it being forced on her? But yeah Mon getting into starting the entire Rebel Alliance because she's mad at herself and her family is pretty much correct

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Like the children of divorce who were put off the whole concept, she's turned her feelings about her own marriage into a stance that can't be reconciled with her daughter's more positive view and that's creating a wedge between them.

Some Guy TT posted:

So what's lib about that. She has a motivation grounded in her own personal experience and has to confront how that works with the rebel alliance as a whole because that's the theme of the entire show

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Nov 19, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

God I'm just so happy to be having these kind of conversations about a Star War

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Farm Frenzy posted:

So what's lib about that. She has a motivation grounded in her own personal experience and has to confront how that works with the rebel alliance as a whole because that's the theme of the entire show

Sneering at her daughter embracing her culture is pretty lib.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

God I'm just so happy to be having these kind of conversations about a Star War

I was just thinking it's very funny how obi wan addresses these exact same themes by having baby Leia make speeches that the adults react to as if they're insightful but the acting is really bad so it comes across as them just condescending to her

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Sneering at her daughter embracing her culture is pretty lib.

She's seeing her child end up in the same situation that she did. it's not an abstract issue for her

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Farm Frenzy posted:

She's seeing her child end up in the same situation that she did. it's not an abstract issue for her

Her daughter wants to. If the problem with arranged marriages is coercion and partner choice, her daughter wanting to enter a marriage and Mon having the ability to pick a suitable husband solves both problems.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Her daughter wants to. If the problem with arranged marriages is coercion and partner choice, her daughter wanting to enter a marriage and Mon having the ability to pick a suitable husband solves both problems.

doesn't she have exactly one choice for suitor though?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

In my opinion the problem with arranged child marriages is the arranged part and the child part

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Farm Frenzy posted:

In my opinion the problem with arranged child marriages is the arranged part and the child part

They keep saying betrothal over and over again so I was assuming they would marry when they came of age.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mothma was aghast at the idea of marrying her daughter off to new money

Then she thought well, it's just an introduction, my daughter won't go for this arranged marriage crap, nothing to worry about, I can just tell the scumbag new money guy my daughter refuses

And the mothma finds out that her daughter will be happy to take introduction -> marriage

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

doesn't she have exactly one choice for suitor though?

only because her parents obviously dont want her to have any i didnt get why mothma was so hostile to the gangsters request since he explicitly said he has no expectations he just wants their kids to meet and decide for themselves but yeah finding out next episode that her kid is super into this stuff made that reaction much more logical since shed absolutely go for it just to say gently caress u mom and dad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mastershakeman posted:

Mothma was aghast at the idea of marrying her daughter off to new money

Then she thought well, it's just an introduction, my daughter won't go for this arranged marriage crap, nothing to worry about, I can just tell the scumbag new money guy my daughter refuses

And the mothma finds out that her daughter will be happy to take introduction -> marriage

Her really being aghast at her daughter marrying beneath her and the anxiety that her in-laws might be boorish or déclassé would fit her character so far.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1593320863771803650?s=20&t=QG7yDTDk_ocxDWeSLFg5vA

I am so tired of these Star Wars

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cenotaph posted:

I'm balking at the idea that you're interpreting my criticism as against strong female characters and not him being a loving weirdo about it. Like I'm not going into detail about it because it's been ages since I was subjected to any of his garbage but I remember getting a pretty distinct vibe from his work and was completely unsurprised when the dirt on him came out.

i rewatched a bit of firefly awhile back and mentioned this here at the time but the little moments sexualizing the female characters were distinctly weird like the engineer sexily eating an apple for no reason the pilot talking about how hot his wife is river tam naked oh and then space hookers

like i cant think of anything in any star trek like that no one goes out of their way to sexualize the women and even when they do theres an actual contextual reason oh wait right jj abrams trek exists never mind

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

found via a film forum..... looks like SAG accidentally posted public streaming access to Triangle of Sadness....... lol

okay i might watch it now this weekend

https://www.sagawards.org/mpnc29/DigitalScreeners

nuts these are vimeo links drat you great firewall of china and your effectiveness in preventing me from stealing movies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

only because her parents obviously dont want her to have any i didnt get why mothma was so hostile to the gangsters request since he explicitly said he has no expectations he just wants their kids to meet and decide for themselves but yeah finding out next episode that her kid is super into this stuff made that reaction much more logical since shed absolutely go for it just to say gently caress u mom and dad

Okay everything else you're saying makes at least some sense but let's be real here: he is obviously lying through his teeth

(It is extremely funny that he thinks he's got an in to Coruscant high society when in three years he's gonna be lucky to not be on a proscription lists)

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Triangle of Sadness:

oops, not sure how to spoiler a youtube video, so I'll just say the hour mark is that Ragnar Kjartansson variation on Meat Joy.

vez veces has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Nov 19, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The least problematic guy they want to build statues of

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

only on ep 4 of andor (its def getting better as people have said) but one criticism I have is the show heavily leans on expecting the audience to just inherently know the empire is "bad". if you went through the dialogue and replaced the word "empire" with "republic", why are we supposed to sympathize with the rebels?

hell, if anything, the corpo mallcops are so lovely the empire showing up and cleaning house is depicted as a GOOD thing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Justin Tyme posted:

only on ep 4 of andor (its def getting better as people have said) but one criticism I have is the show heavily leans on expecting the audience to just inherently know the empire is "bad". if you went through the dialogue and replaced the word "empire" with "republic", why are we supposed to sympathize with the rebels?

lol liberalism unable to define or advocate for itself is always funny. Wait until Mon Mothma’s big Senate speech.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If liberalism could articulate itself, nobody would want it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

hell, if anything, the corpo mallcops are so lovely the empire showing up and cleaning house is depicted as a GOOD thing

Well okay wait for the episode 8-10 arc (and also a little of 6), but yeah Andor is still leaning on the Star Wars thing of taking the beats of historical war movies but removing them them from historical context to making then Good Guys Vs Bad Guys. Otoh this is what let's you make a bug budget show where the heroes are basically the Bolsheviks so who can say

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

just watched some mitch and webb look and... i dont get it? why am i supposed to think these guys are the baddies?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

They keep saying betrothal over and over again so I was assuming they would marry when they came of age.
the betrothal is at age 14 and they marry at 15

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Filthy Hans posted:

no word yet on whether he also has a psychiatrist to vent about his domineering mother and untrustworthy compatriots to

Dr Hugo Strange is listening.

I mean Batman absolutely always has and should rip off successful crime fiction and turn up the literal and metaphorical crazy and camp.

Some Guy TT posted:

i rewatched a bit of firefly awhile back and mentioned this here at the time but the little moments sexualizing the female characters were distinctly weird like the engineer sexily eating an apple for no reason the pilot talking about how hot his wife is river tam naked oh and then space hookers

like i cant think of anything in any star trek like that no one goes out of their way to sexualize the women and even when they do theres an actual contextual reason oh wait right jj abrams trek exists never mind

Uh while I get you with firefly star trek's had the miniskirts and tights and Troi drat near had four boobs and there's definitely been showing off Kira and Jadzia (mind you DS9's cast is just unfairly stacked with hot people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

if you went through the dialogue and replaced the word "empire" with "republic", why are we supposed to sympathize with the rebels?

uhhh... there was a whole storyline in the first three eps that literally does this lol