Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game is borderline unplayable in public matchmaking right now outside of 1-skull difficulty which, ugh. I put in 4 hours playing 2-skull missions with public groups and only won one mission. I made it to a whopping level 4 in 4 hours.

In the mission I won, I spawned in to take the place of a player who quit literally right as all 3 of the other players became casualties and I was standing in the middle of a poxwalker horde with virtually no health. Did my dash and danced around with a sword and killed them all, found a medkit, dropped it, healed up, fought my way through a few specials and rescued all 3 other players and we went on to finish it. That was a real drat cinematic and cool moment :c00l:

But it's just absolutely unbelievable how poorly the average player can handle even Level 2 missions. I feel like if you translated difficulties to terminology most games use it would be like:
1) Casual/I just want to see the story/impossible to fail
2) Easy, for players who don't want a challenge
3) Normal, challenging
4) Hardcore

But if you queue up for a Level 2 public mission, teams melt as soon as more than one ranged enemy shows up at once. No one tries to melee ranged enemies. People get overwhelmed by poxwalker hordes and die because they refuse to move their mouse horizontally. Everyone splits up and runs in 4 different directions and you're the only one that's not going backwards. One person runs ahead and grabs every single ammo pack. Someone dies with a scripture and convinces your team not to look for it because "i'll still have it when you rescue me", and you're carrying one of the other ones so you can't do it yourself. No one ever presses the block or dodge buttons. Psykers spend a lot of time headpopping the armored poxwalkers with axes (the ones that aren't even specials) and zero time using it against specials. No one will even attempt to melee a boss even after you break their shield and they're stunned on the floor.

:psyduck:

This game owns because of how much of a badass you can feel like sprinting and sliding and parkouring all over while literally both running and gunning (you can interrupt your reload animation to swap to melee, swing a few times to kill an enemy, then swap back to the gun and be at the same goddamn point in the reload animation holy poo poo) and just generally lets you be some kind of WH40k John Wick but somehow people are just not doing any of that and they are standing there pretending they're an invincible space marine instead.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of new people who either haven't played Vermintide or last did so years ago, and a lot of people who aren't use being at the bottom end of the gear spectrum again. Like, difficulty 3 opens up at level 3 and the way the enemies are scaled would make that a HUGE MISTAKE, and yet every time I've tried to up to Malice difficulty its always like level 3-4 pugs still using their starter gear and eating poo poo on the first horde.

They really ought to change difficulty 3 to open at like level 10, Difficulty 4 at 15, difficulty 5 at level 20 or something to that extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maybe something about this and Vermintide have always just clicked with me but like, you can quite literally dance circles around any enemy in this game. Even poxhounds can rarely pounce you if you just keep spamming sideways dodges. If you keep dodging back/sideways while swinging a melee weapon, that will defeat anything this game throws at you except for ranged enemies. And the ranged enemies are hella dangerous but... if you run up and swing a melee weapon at them, they stop shooting, switch to their own melee weapons, and get wrecked. You can block any hit from even the biggest enemy as long as you have even 1% stamina.

It's also a game where enemies never just turn on a dime to shoot at you, so you can flank and run up behind them. You can shoot potshots with a pistol to distract shooters then hide in cover while your teammate runs up in melee. You can do a lot to direct enemy attention and if you pay attention to where the enemies are looking you can move around pretty much effortlessly in big chaotic fights.

It's just frustrating that it gives you an absurd wealth of tactical tools to use to defeat pretty much any situation but people just don't use any of them. That stuff was all intuitive to my friend and I within two missions in the old beta :argh: And what I like about this game so much is just how intuitive all of that stuff is because the visual and audio effects telegraphing it all are phenomenal. you can feel the thud of bullets plinking on armor distracting a crusher and know that it's pissing him off. You can see where shooters are aiming based on scope glint. You can see enemies get viscerally stunned when you hit them with a weapon that has some stopping power. It's all rad as hell.

But on the other hand I just hopped into a Difficulty 3 mission and it was smooth as butter (we were all level 4-6), so maybe the problem is just that the good players go straight to higher difficulties.

e: On reflection I think I am also biased by playing Zealot which is ridiculously OP and invincible even after the dash toughness nerf from the old beta. 5% toughness/sec regen even without my allies near me, AND I can restore 50% toughness at will? Okay.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 19, 2022

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Even with my 3080ti i've been dropping sub 30 fps and stuttering. Shits kinda fuckin dumb.

RE: ogryns, the shovel is amazing for just being an all rounder, overhead heavy is pretty much AP and regular chains are great at wave clear. that being said ive been loving the shield and club, the shields special has him just fuckin plant it and nothing can pass it and you take next to none or none at all stamina damage, just happily sit infront of 3+ gunners or whatever else and just laugh whiile dudes behind blast away.

Become the door.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For what it's worth, they really upped the ranged enemy counts since the weekend beta and I really actually like it. It gives you a lot more to consider in any situation rather than just 'run in and mash the bad men to death with a hammer'. The Ogryn and Zealot charges are still useful, but way more situationally useful than just SIR KRUBERing your way through a big pack of poo poo to get at the one thing that needs killed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Randos in L4D-alikes are always a gigantic roll of the dice and that'll never change.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also I feel like the grenades are much more potent now, and yeah this really incentivizes using them to gently caress up entrenched shooters.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Darktide hasn't yet nerfed itself to V2 levels where my friend who has literally never figured out charge attacks, shoves, dodges, etc. can audibly "click-click-click-click-click" his way through high difficulty missions. It still wants you to understand certain basic concepts and mechanics, and it takes a certain kind of grog to internalize that -- especially if you haven't played a Tide game before.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Darktide hasn't yet nerfed itself to V2 levels where my friend who has literally never figured out charge attacks, shoves, dodges, etc. can audibly "click-click-click-click-click" his way through high difficulty missions. It still wants you to understand certain basic concepts and mechanics, and it takes a certain kind of grog to internalize that -- especially if you haven't played a Tide game before.

i try not to do this but i always panic when the scrum reaches me and start clicking until the problem goes away :smith: same thing got to me real bad in VT2 as well

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
For anyone else having performance issues, I was struggling to run the game at low settings with a 2080 and a Ryzen 7 2700. Going by some recommendations on Reddit, I turned off Steam Overlay and set the game to dedicated fullscreen and saw a genuinely noticeable improvement to the point where I'm now able to put some stuff at high while keeping a semi-smooth picture.

Reminds me of that weird era in like 2011-2014 where forcing games into fullscreen would turn them from 20fps slideshows with input delay into running perfectly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Got the krieger lasgun and its very cool. It has a very heavy thump firing sound that still has the electric crack underneath, and when you fully charge the shot it makes a little chime play thats very nice to hear as you're exploding heads with it.

Bayonet attack comes out real fast too, makes it usable when defending yourself.

Small note, I think they changed it from the beta where now you end up in the same hub with your party after you finish a mission, which is good.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017
So far the game is okay, although I certainly prefer VT2. I am pretty low level, but the weapons seem a bit limited, the missions are very dark and hard to see anything, and the psyker's damage ability doesn't seem super useful?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will still take some grinding to get the levels in to make the game feel closer to end-game vermintide, most of the people who play vermintide a lot probably have a few hundred unopened loot crates because they have everything already, this game is still 2 days old into open beta and we're still figuring things out and trying new weapons as they become available, a few of the classes don't look complete until level 30 talents.

Will say Psyker feels a bit better after the update today, just wait for peril to drop to 97% and keep popping heads.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

moosecow333 posted:

I’m level 5 and I haven’t gotten a good sword yet :( I don’t want the stupid Catachan blade with its stupid counter, I want the other good sword that cleaves through everything and I can stab people with it.

Which one is that?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Pasha posted:

So far the game is okay, although I certainly prefer VT2. I am pretty low level, but the weapons seem a bit limited, the missions are very dark and hard to see anything, and the psyker's damage ability doesn't seem super useful?

Yeah the game is much less fun when you have no weapon access and no talents. Right now people I'm chatting with are saying Psyker Chain Lightning is good so try that when you get to it. I haven't seen anyone use lightning yet but I did see a Psyker styling on dudes with a rapier and that was cool. Saw a Zealot with a flamer and a marksman with a charge up lasgun. I finally got a slab shield too. Looking forward to seeing how nutty things get with full kits.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, right now we're all playing the equivalent of vermintide2 on recruit difficulty without talents and using the one handed sword or hammer, a lot of us probably forgot what that feels like being brand new to vermintide2 without that giant arsenal of weapons and finding your favorite and darktide has a whole bunch of weapon modifiers that have people saying things like the autogun and braced autogun are completely different.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Honestly by the mid tier I think this game is better than vt2.

I like the pace a lot, and the raw amount of gear and equipment and how different they all are, I like the fusion of ranged and melee. There's a lot going on.

Exploring the ship a bit and theres a bunch of zones I hadn't seen before, like a place that looks like a surgeon or barber, maybe.

There's a lot of little doors that could be expansion content if the game succeeds, but also I think stuff like the huge area the techpriest occupies might still be some kind of crafting system.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone know how to skip the tutorial?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Chainclaw posted:

I mean when you make any operative after the first, it gives you option to skip the prologue. If you take the prologue, you're opting into the tutorial.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

TwatHammer posted:

Even with my 3080ti i've been dropping sub 30 fps and stuttering. Shits kinda fuckin dumb.

This lacks meaning without a resolution or RT on/off noted.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The ragtown map is my favorite so far, definitely should be a palliative to anybody afraid of the maps only being the manufactorum from the beta. It's a huge open multi level shanty town with a variety of subojectives, including an interesting multistage finale that has you navigating a large zone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Friend of mine was having multiple crashes tonight and read about turning down the Scatter Density/Ragdoll/Decal settings at the bottom of the video settings by half or more and he didn't have a single crash after he did that. Who knows if that actually was the culprit but something to try if anyone's having a lot of crashes.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 19, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Using FSR 2 on "high performance" gives super blatantly more stutter and lower frames (and obviously looks worse) than just "performance"

very impressive

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

DeathSandwich posted:

They really ought to change difficulty 3 to open at like level 10, Difficulty 4 at 15, difficulty 5 at level 20 or something to that extent.

Everyone complained at the thought of being restricted, so they didn't. This is the result

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Sorry to do this, but I read a fair bit of the thread without finding an answer.

Is the Time/special dice stuff in this one the same "memorize the map and where the hidden room/jumping puzzle is" thing from previous Tides, or did they change it to something more enjoyable?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

For your sanity, please do not queue for difficulty 2 missions until you are, bare minimum, level 5. I'm serious. Even if you are capable of handling it yourself, you'll get queued with other under geared people who are not. Just do 5-6 rank one missions first.

Also, what is 'hit mass' and why would I care about ignoring it? A lot of the stat references in this game are completely unexplained.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://youtu.be/dTKJeQTwiK4

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly by the mid tier I think this game is better than vt2.

I like the pace a lot, and the raw amount of gear and equipment and how different they all are, I like the fusion of ranged and melee. There's a lot going on.

Exploring the ship a bit and theres a bunch of zones I hadn't seen before, like a place that looks like a surgeon or barber, maybe.

There's a lot of little doors that could be expansion content if the game succeeds, but also I think stuff like the huge area the techpriest occupies might still be some kind of crafting system.

For me its the setting, I've seen plenty of vermintide at this point. Feel they've really stepped up the mood with the music too.

I love the zealot preacher being fanatical and single minded. Just pointing to a tin of ammo and going "HOLY AMMO! FROM THE EMPRAAAAH!".

Performance is rough, rolling with a 3090 at 1440p and I'm bouncing between 60-25 fps depending if I'm mucking around with RT or not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Sorry to do this, but I read a fair bit of the thread without finding an answer.

Is the Time/special dice stuff in this one the same "memorize the map and where the hidden room/jumping puzzle is" thing from previous Tides, or did they change it to something more enjoyable?

They're randomized around the map now. Probably with X number of potential set places from what I've seen so people will eventually relearn it anyway but there's no jumping puzzles or hidden rooms they're just on shelves or in corners or on the floor.

E: A slightly equipment spoiler-y image that may be of interest to those Ogryn-minded amongst you.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 19, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe how bad the weapon stats UI is lol

Isn't this like their 3rd game now? How do they not have weapon stat numbers figured out? There is no explanation for any of the stats and the bars are difficult to read.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

you have to progress 1 operative past the cutscene following basic training, i believe. after that, you can make the other classes and skip the prologue mission.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Popete posted:

I can't believe how bad the weapon stats UI is lol

Isn't this like their 3rd game now? How do they not have weapon stat numbers figured out? There is no explanation for any of the stats and the bars are difficult to read.

Yeah some tooltips would really do wonders for that screen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Orv posted:

E: A slightly equipment spoiler-y image that may be of interest to those Ogryn-minded amongst you.

And a shovel, as it should be.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Love the zealot text too like "cool stuff happens when you critically hit"

How do you crit? Is it a stat? A flat chance? Do I hit weak spots? Can everyone do it? When? Where? Why??? :fatshark:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
failed_handshake_timeout simulator

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Ogryn grenade gauntlet is so good. Love my big beautiful boi who does trigonometry to explode a sniper from across the map.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Coming from Vermintide 2 it feels like melee in this game doesn't quite have the same great weighty feedback, I also don't feel like there's good feedback as to where I'm taking damage from. Sometimes feels like I'm taking random damage, or suddenly all my toughness disappears and I have no idea how, but I suppose that's because I'm new to the game (I do know to look behind me).

Also, all the levels look the same: dark corridors leading to dark open spaces. Nothing beats bashing rats in the head in an open field on a sunny day.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just had a really enjoyable and smooth pub run where everyone used ranged to the max, cleared rooms as best we could before going in after heavier specials and would check behind themselves and each other constantly. Felt fantastic, if a tiny bit slow.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Orv posted:

Just had a really enjoyable and smooth pub run where everyone used ranged to the max, cleared rooms as best we could before going in after heavier specials and would check behind themselves and each other constantly. Felt fantastic, if a tiny bit slow.

Nice. I just had one where we kinda did the same thing then the pubs just split up for the boss fight. :negative:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://youtu.be/M2jz3Y8LjaY

https://youtube.com/shorts/aLG7EIXpNWM?feature=share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just want to know why I can't do the cool slide move around the space station :colbert: