Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think you just have to pick it if it rolls. I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure "can't reroll" is a different mod than mandatory, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Good news, Roulette's death side is both sticky (can't be rerolled) AND mandatory!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Come to think of it I think I've always had valkyrie with roulette

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

I don't know, a hero being weak to weaken hasn't really impacted my decision making much because the solution to weaken enemies usually ends up being kill them quickly, rather than counterpick for them.

There is "weak to weaken" and then there is "Turns them into the t2 version with 1 more HP"

Like, i've used them. I hated it the whole time. The only way they're even somewhat reliable is if you get the combo items that add mana gain to blank sides and the one that sets all mana sides to 2. There's enough 2 pip die faces on others that you can more often get your double or triple activated with that.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ace really is just bad bc even in a perfect 3-pip team setup, you get 9 mana to use on... Draw? He should have a more impactful spell at the very least if setting him up for big mana turns is gonna stay his gimmick

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Funnily enough, that makes me want to mess with Ace more! Boost 3 is insane. I think I get too intimidated by the side matching mechanic instead of leaning into it. Pair of Kings and Cheater's Sleeves are always a riot

"Never odd me the tells," my scoundrel says as they strap on a knife bag and cheater sleeves, moments before the bag explodes, killing them and a nearby wolf.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Boost 3 is good but again it requires a lot of setup and it's the only thing that hero is doing that turn. And like... how often do you have two other 3-pip sides and then also a side you really want to give boost 3 to? I guess you can do all of that to give, like, yellow a good cleave somewhere. I dunno

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Might just be me but I prefer Ace to Wizard, I know a lot of people like Wizard but I've never found them that great. Most of the time I don't have the right items to make Wizard good, and they just seem weak by default.

Whenever I've pick Wizard they've been meh at best, if not outright bad for my run whereas Ace has done better for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ace is one of my favourite blues because there are so many items that make it amazing. Eucalyptus, for example, will trigger the triple side all by itself.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
End of Round 1 of a new Blursed run. This was legitimately one of the most fun teams I've ever had. Smacking the Dragon with this was so satisfying.

Edit: Round 2 did not go well.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 17, 2022

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Jedit posted:

Ace is one of my favourite blues because there are so many items that make it amazing. Eucalyptus, for example, will trigger the triple side all by itself.

I don't remember what Eucalyptus does. This brings up a common question I have though. Is there a list of items on the internet somewhere? The wiki that google shows is really bare bones, and searching through the almanac is difficult when you only know the name and not the tier.

Also, what tier is Soul Link? I've had that in my list of available achievements forever, but I never see it available.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Just discovered this game had a thread and that it's goon-made. I bought it after my first demo run, played a ton of it for like a week, and it's still currently my favorite way to fiddle with my phone in lines. Thanks and awesome work, Tann!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Farquar posted:

I don't remember what Eucalyptus does. This brings up a common question I have though. Is there a list of items on the internet somewhere? The wiki that google shows is really bare bones, and searching through the almanac is difficult when you only know the name and not the tier.

Also, what tier is Soul Link? I've had that in my list of available achievements forever, but I never see it available.

It's a curse item.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Farquar posted:

I don't remember what Eucalyptus does.

As you might have guessed from what I said it does, it's a 3-pip with Double Use. (Specifically it's a level 5 item with Heal 3 Cleanse DU.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arzaac posted:

I guess that makes sense, there's no level 50 item in the almanac...

Still, what a letdown.

It's a level negative 50 item. That's why the number is purple.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beat item mode for the first time.

The combo of the cape which copies your left side, and the gloves which copy your middle side, and the seal which gives a bonus for dupes meant that my red hero had six identicial +6 heal+shield+mana sides

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

:lol: just killed Hexia by rolling my first-turn dice over and over forever. Level 61 and counting on Blursed, this is the longest run I've ever had

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

:lol: just killed Hexia by rolling my first-turn dice over and over forever. Level 61 and counting on Blursed, this is the longest run I've ever had

gratz. Too bad htere isn't a cheevo for it yet

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

just picked the "hero heavy" curse thinking it wasn't bad value for 8, immediately regretted it when I tried to use a shield

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lol got this list of blessings/curses

6 points:

-15) Edge death (kill 2 heroes)
7) bone math
6) hero cleanse
6) monster blank
4) greased dice
4) potential
4) youth

made the 'must take a total of 6 blessing points' thing extra annoying, since it means that the only possible options are

hero cleanse / monster blank
or
edge death+bone math+ two of the 4 pointers

less flexible than the 'pick 1 blessing' option

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I wonder if there's something where you you can start with less than the maximum amount of blessing points by doing the following UI flow: going over the blessing point maximum, then deselecting one blessing so you're under the maximum. I think this communicates that they deliberately want to start with less than all the points allotted to them.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Why is the most brutal curse in the game, Hero Rite, disguised as a blessing? :thunk:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think it's probably just in general hard to quantify hero rite, because that extra bonus can be legitimately really powerful in the hands of some heroes. You start getting into heroes who can do 5 damage to all enemies, or 5 damage + 5 mana or what have you. It's that weird situation where it can legitimately be both a curse and a blessing.

...I think I'd lean towards it being a tweak if anything, because those tend to be effects with huge tradeoffs.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ace is really powerful if you've picked up any item spells like Curse or Beam or whatever. Not the strongest unless you pick up a bunch of synergistic items as well but it can work out.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Hey I love your game! Didn't know it was made by a goon.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Pain of Mind posted:

To get below 35 I did it on easy, go after a blessing that makes it easier to 1 turn rounds (I think I had the one that starts you with 4 mana on turn 1), hope you get decent item and hero combinations, and go full dps. I won exactly on 35.

I finally got...40 turns with fizzing (2 mana on turn one), essence thief (+1 mana when an enemy dies) and the "monster growth" curse to balance things out. (Also since easy requires exactly 6 blessing points, I also took a Lich's tome which seems usually bad and I never used it).

Maybe I could've got 38 turns with perfect play, but I feel like my sequence of heroes and item choices through the run couldn't get me to 35, so there's definitely some luck involved.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Arzaac posted:

I think it's probably just in general hard to quantify hero rite, because that extra bonus can be legitimately really powerful in the hands of some heroes. You start getting into heroes who can do 5 damage to all enemies, or 5 damage + 5 mana or what have you. It's that weird situation where it can legitimately be both a curse and a blessing.

...I think I'd lean towards it being a tweak if anything, because those tend to be effects with huge tradeoffs.

I could maybe see it working as a tweak, but as is you get it with a bunch of level 1 heroes with basic sides. If you already had a Duelist or a Wanderer it might be an interesting risk/reward but there are very, very few basic hero sides worth getting +5 at the cost of the rest of your turn. And even with high-tier heroes a single Slate might ruin your day.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ok Raid mode is hilarious. Getting Essence Capture and Essence Thief and just spamming Burn and Scald all day while both teams died in droves was hysterical. Killed the second dragon by having my last surviving hero, a Fiend, explode both of them with Burn :supaburn:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I could maybe see it working as a tweak, but as is you get it with a bunch of level 1 heroes with basic sides. If you already had a Duelist or a Wanderer it might be an interesting risk/reward but there are very, very few basic hero sides worth getting +5 at the cost of the rest of your turn. And even with high-tier heroes a single Slate might ruin your day.

I think early game would be mostly fine just because you can deal 6+ damage with a single die. You only need to beat a single level to get a tier 2 hero, and then there are a pretty large number of tier 2 heroes who can interact positively with rite. If you pick up any side replacement items you can get around rite as well.

...granted yeah, unless you get lucky you're probably dying at a boss level. If nothing else I imagine the sisters would be quite hard. I don't know the right cost for it but it should probably be a curse.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

At an absolute minimum I think you'd have to rite managain faces and manage your mana really carefully. You can do a lot with Burst and hero spells as long as your mana generating heroes don't all eat poo poo.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Hero Rite was an absolute blast. It does lose its edge a bit since, like all "hero X" abilities, you can replace it with item sides to give you more flexibility in a pinch. Like someone said though, my run ended when I had to fight two Slates at once.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darn, permanently killing a party member doesn't give you the mana from essence capture.

It should, if nothing else, give you the mana for level 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

At an absolute minimum I think you'd have to rite managain faces and manage your mana really carefully. You can do a lot with Burst and hero spells as long as your mana generating heroes don't all eat poo poo.

I've never seen Hero Rite, but I have put Rite onto a cantrip face before and you can use that die - and that die only - repeatedly. With the right gear you can probably generate infinite mana.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Been mostly tinkering around with blursed, and I think I would (loosely) rank my favorite blessing to take as:

Treasure Seeker
Shrink

Bolt Spell
Leyline

Shiny
Save Spell
Reroll
Greased Dice
Jeweled Chalice
Fizzing
Boss Smash
Turn 3 Heal

Mostly based on how many curses they mitigate, while also being good stand alone.

A question I just through of - can you get blessings you pass on later, or if there are 3 good blessings at the start does that lock you out of whichever one you do not take?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2022

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Bolt is still my #1 pickup because it lets you take every Burst related curse AND dramatically increases the value of mana independent of your blue hero. But Preparation (all heroes shield 2 turn 1) is also a great one. Not only does it help enable alpha striking and drastically lowers the chance of a bad beat giving a T1 hero kill, but it makes Steel sides way stronger and more consistent as well as lowering the risk of Pain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well, managed 32-turns on easy classic. Essence thief / essence capture / boss smash for blessings, sandstorm+++ for curses (damage at the end of the second turn doesn't matter if you win first)

biggest luck was avoiding slates, basalt, and the slime queen - there just isn't enough DPS to be able to beat them

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Added modifier/item generation with a crappy algorithm. It can't tell if it creates nonsense or how powerful anything is though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That screenie has some serious Blood Manos energy.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Fun to tinker with UI rendering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Generated Blursed mode, you say??

e: TIL that the Burning Halo's "damage all enemies on Rescue" effect triggers retaliatory damage similar to Repel dice, which means that if your Valkyrie equips it and uses it to rescue herself with her "reuse on Rescue" shield die, she can potentially just repeatedly do that over and over forever in a feedback loop until the retaliating enemy turns to dust

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 21, 2022