Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

tbf, completely forgetting about women is entirely on brand for FIFA.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

To be fair this is the most Swiss thing he could have done. It's up there with saying the Nazis aren't so bad while handling their gold

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

I first saw the text only of Infantinos's "I feel ______" speech on Twitter and I legit thought it was a poo poo post. Just lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Harry Lime posted:

I first saw the text only of Infantinos's "I feel ______" speech on Twitter and I legit thought it was a poo poo post. Just lmao

if you watch the video you can tell he thinks he's saying something profound and meaningful

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

jfc

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
idk pretty progressive by Berlusconi standards

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Harry Lime posted:

the profound pause between each idiotic statement really makes it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

will he even reach main character status with all this going on *gestures*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sad question posted:

Are there any funny toilets like in Sochi? Or did they avoid that by not building any
this is like cookie cutter low effort

Russian low effort is a whole nother level of bespoke and curated

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

*Italian Shania Twain voice*: EEEEEEEEEEY I feel-a like-a da woman!

I was gonna go with the Helen Reddy song, but....ah hell

I'ma gay, I'ma ginger, I'ma disabilo...

I'ma wooomann

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Infantino claims he was bullied but obviously not nearly enough

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Alan Smithee posted:

idk pretty progressive by Berlusconi standards

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

In extremely Gregg voice: "how high am I?"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

okay i like qatar now lmao

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

"I was Italian, so imagine" is maybe one of the funniest things ever said.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st3MP6C-cMo

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5wAWyqDrnc

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

that, plus while I don't want to go too far into "hurrah for the Raj" territory, in a lot of the world that's the accepted way of doing business and Mozambique has exactly the same say at FIFA as Germany or Argentina does

I think £100 was the going rate for "the local police are now your personal henchmen" in India, but it might have changed since then

I really disagree with this take. It implies that the reason the WC is in Qatar is because some poor African nations voted for it despite objections by the more noble, but outvoted big countries.

The reality is that Platini, Teixeira and Grondona were the major names pushing Qatar. So UEFA, CBF and AFA. Blatter even publicly admitted that Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes. This mess is being done with the full support of the then leaders of the major soccer federations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

joepinetree posted:

I really disagree with this take. It implies that the reason the WC is in Qatar is because some poor African nations voted for it despite objections by the more noble, but outvoted big countries.

The reality is that Platini, Teixeira and Grondona were the major names pushing Qatar. So UEFA, CBF and AFA. Blatter even publicly admitted that Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes. This mess is being done with the full support of the then leaders of the major soccer federations.

This isn't quite how the voting works, there were 22 representatives that voted according to this article and they were:

Sepp Blatter (Switzerland), Julio Grondona (Argentina), Issa Hayatou (Cameroon), Chung Mong-joon (South Korea), Jack Warner (Trinidad and Tobago), Angel Maria Villar (Spain), Michel Platini (France), Geoff Thompson (England), Michel D'Hooghe (Belgium), Ricardo Teixeira (Brazil), Mohamed Bin Hammam (Qatar), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Chuck Blazer (United States), Worawi Makudi (Thailand), Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay), Junji Ogura (Japan), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Franz Beckenbauer (Germany), Rafael Salguero (Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt), Vitaly Mutko (Russia).

So it's not like all of UEFA voted for Qatar just because Platini did as there are other UEFA members there on that list.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

This isn't quite how the voting works, there were 22 representatives that voted according to this article and they were:

Sepp Blatter (Switzerland), Julio Grondona (Argentina), Issa Hayatou (Cameroon), Chung Mong-joon (South Korea), Jack Warner (Trinidad and Tobago), Angel Maria Villar (Spain), Michel Platini (France), Geoff Thompson (England), Michel D'Hooghe (Belgium), Ricardo Teixeira (Brazil), Mohamed Bin Hammam (Qatar), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Chuck Blazer (United States), Worawi Makudi (Thailand), Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay), Junji Ogura (Japan), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Franz Beckenbauer (Germany), Rafael Salguero (Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt), Vitaly Mutko (Russia).

So it's not like all of UEFA voted for Qatar just because Platini did as there are other UEFA members there on that list.

We don't know how each of them voted. But we do know that the three main people pushing for it were Teixeira, Grondona and Platini. We also know, because Blatter has said so, that Spain and Portugal helped organize vote trading so Qatar would help get votes for Portugal/Spain in 18 and Qatar 22.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/600649-fifa-concedes-qatar-and-spainportugal-traded-votes-in-world-cup-bids

My point wasn't that UEFA voted as a block. But that the main pushers for Qatar were in the biggest federations, not some football backwaters.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

joepinetree posted:

We don't know how each of them voted. But we do know that the three main people pushing for it were Teixeira, Grondona and Platini. We also know, because Blatter has said so, that Spain and Portugal helped organize vote trading so Qatar would help get votes for Portugal/Spain in 18 and Qatar 22.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/600649-fifa-concedes-qatar-and-spainportugal-traded-votes-in-world-cup-bids

My point wasn't that UEFA voted as a block. But that the main pushers for Qatar were in the biggest federations, not some football backwaters.

Oh sure sorry I wasn't saying you were wrong just clearing up that it wasn't voted per federation, rather worse than that. Saw that same article about Spain/Portugal when I tried to see if who voted for whom could be found.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
I just find it hard to believe Infantino ever had red hair, or any hair at all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Backdoor Delivery posted:

I just find it hard to believe Infantino ever had red hair, or any hair at all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I found that on some random unverified website so I don't know if it's really a picture of him as a child but I choose to believe because it looks like loving bat boy lmao

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

How is Infantino so much worse than Blatter lol

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Like the Hitchiker's Guide said, the President's job is to distract. FIFA President doing great at distracting yall itt.

gently caress FIFA hth edit: also Qatar

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Gaddafi was right about Switzerland

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Hegay posted:

How is Infantino so much worse than Blatter lol

sanctimonious oval office that wants everyone to believe that "football heals"

post not signed

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

BWV posted:

"I was Italian, so imagine" is maybe one of the funniest things ever said.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

joepinetree posted:

yeah, that's fair

it was more in response to the question as to why these bodies tend to operate as they do (and why the 2026 CUM cup will have 48 poo poo teams in 16 groups of 3), but absolutely the Qatar thing is not just a case of Ugandans gonna Ugand

e: 2026 is the CUMyear

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

So are the stadiums and training grounds air conditioned? Obviously the fan stuff isn’t

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Arivia posted:

So are the stadiums and training grounds air conditioned? Obviously the fan stuff isn’t

How do you air condition an entire stadium?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The team accommodations will be air conditioned, but whenever a team is 48 hours out from playing Qatar, said air conditioning will mysteriously malfunction.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

I have no clue which is why I asked.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Dell_Zincht posted:

fill it with fans

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
*Barbara Streisand voice*

send in the clouuuds

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dell_Zincht posted:

???

There are tons of air conditioned stadiums. You just need to enclose them.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

Very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Wazzerphuk posted:

I am bald, I'm Qatari
Today I am from Harare
I'm disabled, I am gay
I do not feel ashamed