Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
Could be monstrously terrible luck, bugs, or both. I don't know if there's any way to be sure. If it were me I'd chalk it up to a bad round and keep an eye out for if it happened again under same or similar circumstances. Hopefully not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

If anybody's unaware, there's a Halloween challenge going on now which lets you earn a spooky trophy if you complete it. The requirements are to play on Nightmare mode, go to each map marked by a pumpkin on the map selection board (basically all the small maps), eat all the candy, then light all the jack-o'-lanterns, then finally take a ghost photo (the ghost will be wearing a jack-o'-lantern over its head). You'll hear a spooky noise when you complete each part, and there are no other requirements (not even identifying the ghost type). The amount of candy and jack-o'-lanterns left is listed by the map in the truck. I think it lasts all month, so no rush.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
And reset the map if it's raining

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
I noticed that, I wonder what it is about the heavy rain

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I noticed that, I wonder what it is about the heavy rain

It's because a few of the maps have jack o lanterns outside so you can't light them if it's heavy rain lol. light rain is fine and the maps that don't have jack o lanterns outside can still be done in heavy rain.

Spent like 2 hours and got the trophy with my friends, was a fun little event I enjoyed it. Funny moment was in Edgefield it was a Raiju so we all got ready to take the picture for the finish and it just instantly annihilated all 3 of us before we could react.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's because a few of the maps have jack o lanterns outside so you can't light them if it's heavy rain lol. light rain is fine and the maps that don't have jack o lanterns outside can still be done in heavy rain.

oh yeah that makes sense

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Here's the settings I've been using for 16x for very safe very fast money grinding if anyone wants them.

whoa

This was on the asylum. I'm trying to do the challenge. I had a plan for taking a photo but this ghost was a raiju so I decided to just quit while I was ahead and try with a safer ghost.

e: okay second attempt was very quick lol. I went in with my candle as usual, checked the east wing first, while I was looking around I saw a light that had been turned on and thought maybe I found the ghost room. Temps were high no matter where I checked though. While I was checking temps, I hear doors close, and I'm trying to turn on the hallway light but it won't let me no matter what angle I click from. "Huh that's weird" I think. Then I try opening the door to the east wing, and it's locked. "Weird" I think, and decide to go back to the truck. Only when I saw the door outside shut did I realize I was in a hunt. Luckily I never even heard the ghost. But yeah it hunted me at 100% sanity so that was a super easy ghost to guess.

Check out what I got just for guessing right:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 11, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Sorry for the triple post but last night I got the bronze Apocalypse trophy thanks to Ibram Gaunt's money grinding strat!

Sanity at the end of the round:

Game Summary:

A few ghost stats:

The key for me was always having a lit candle on me or near me, which meant always carrying a lighter/candle, which meant effectively only having one inventory slot. I had to schlep everything down one by one, and it was a room near the end of the west wing in the basement :argh:

The toughest part was getting the ghost photo. I was prepared to potentially take the photo during a hunt, so I had an escape route planned and smudge sticks set up in a relay on my intended escape path. Luckily I never needed to use them, the photo was the last thing I did and I still had about 85 or so sanity at that point (got hit by a ghost event at one point), so I just set a candle down and kept chanting the ghost's name until an event happened and they materialized. I couldn't see them so I panic-snapped two photos and luckily somehow got the ghost in one of them. :toot:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Congrats gamer. I still gotta get off my rear end and do it myself, but sunny meadows is too spooky alone!!!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

All the ghost feet pics were because of a weekly challenge boss, I swear

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Sure, sure, whatever you say TOESUKR

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So my 3 high school friends and I who recently reconnected and started playing video games a night a week to chat and have fun picked this up as a Halloween thing to do, and because we're sick of shooting mans or diablo for a bit

I was really, really surprised at how fun it was, I thought it would be a one night laugh but I imagine we might continue playing it for a while. It could use some better up-front tutorials and we did a lot better once we read a little bit about how the evidence gathering devices worked but its cool because unlike most horror games (at least on the lowest diff) it feels like you're drawing the ghost out which makes it scarier than a game where the ghost is always coming after you no matter what.

One time I had the spirit box out and asked "is anyone here" and all our equipment immediately went apeshit and the ghost appeared in front of us, so that was neat(the ghost room was the laundry room in the first level, guess he really hated clothes) but it blew our chance of finding the right ghost type because we were like yep put a checkmark on spirit box and that was, in fact, not one of its three pieces of evidence.

The best part was when we were starting a new hunt and I was talking about what was going on with my EMF reader and my friend goes "god dammit we sound exactly like those dumb ghost hunting shows"

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I picked up Mortuary Assistant for more weapons grade spooky, and no joke, it has a warning that says "WARNING: MAY CAUSE HAUNTINGS, CONSULT YOUR CHURCH OR LOCAL PARANORMAL INVESTIGATORS" but I play Phas, so I assume I'm good to go

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played a game in a public lobby with two people who said they were "real ghost hunters" and played Phasmo to practice. They took the entire game seriously and talked to each other like they were in those ghost hunting shows. They also wouldn't stop explaining to me how real ghost hunting differed from the game. It was hilarious and great.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

fast cars loose anus posted:

The best part was when we were starting a new hunt and I was talking about what was going on with my EMF reader and my friend goes "god dammit we sound exactly like those dumb ghost hunting shows"
lmao

welcome to the game! Yeah it's a lot of fun, and still manages to stay tense and spooky even when you've totally familiarized yourself with the mechanics

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If you're new to the game I'd also recommend reading up on how the Twins and Mimic work, they're both real assholes to figure out if you don't have some understanding of their special mechanics. Mimic is kind of straightforward once you know the gimmick, but Twins can be pretty tough on the larger maps unless they changed how they work since I last had them on a contract.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So my 3 high school friends and I who recently reconnected and started playing video games a night a week to chat and have fun picked this up as a Halloween thing to do, and because we're sick of shooting mans or diablo for a bit

I was really, really surprised at how fun it was, I thought it would be a one night laugh but I imagine we might continue playing it for a while. It could use some better up-front tutorials and we did a lot better once we read a little bit about how the evidence gathering devices worked but its cool because unlike most horror games (at least on the lowest diff) it feels like you're drawing the ghost out which makes it scarier than a game where the ghost is always coming after you no matter what.

One time I had the spirit box out and asked "is anyone here" and all our equipment immediately went apeshit and the ghost appeared in front of us, so that was neat(the ghost room was the laundry room in the first level, guess he really hated clothes) but it blew our chance of finding the right ghost type because we were like yep put a checkmark on spirit box and that was, in fact, not one of its three pieces of evidence.

my group didnt stick with the game because the mechanics are unclear at the beginning, they just got impatient when nothing worked as expected. thats something i like about the game though

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

my group didnt stick with the game because the mechanics are unclear at the beginning, they just got impatient when nothing worked as expected. thats something i like about the game though

We read the wiki on the evidence gathering tools which clarified a lot

Like I never would have figured out that the spirit box responses have to be like, it talking through the box and the ghost lighting up, but anything else is not counted. As I said, I talked into the spirit box and said "is anyone here" and it immediately popped up right in front of us. That's kinda confusing and I don't necessarily blame people for bouncing in that sort of situation

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Yeah figuring out what the tools are even supposed to do feels like it's supposed to be part of the learning curve, and early on when you don't have a lot of equipment or money I think a bit of that is fine, but there really ought to be a way to communicate what they're supposed to do without looking it up in a wiki. I guess you could screw around in training mode until you figure it all out, but you're only gonna really learn a few of the tools at a time depending what ghost you get, and you don't get money for it anyway.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Footprints =/= fingerprints. THAT one took a while for our group to figure out

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sometimes I like going hosting a public game and we get people who are super low level. I'm in the quad digits for my level so it's great to hear their new reactions and questions and be able to help them figure it out. It sucks that people kick low level people - we all have to start somewhere!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

Footprints =/= fingerprints. THAT one took a while for our group to figure out

Are you loving kidding me :negative:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

YUUUUUUUP. They still get you photo evidence $$$, but no real use besides that. Might be able to clue you into Wraith, I guess

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Footprints are also useful to help figure out where the ghost typically “patrols”.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Just be ready to explain to new players that stepping in salt and leaving UV footprints are different things

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

Professor Wayne posted:

Just be ready to explain to new players that stepping in salt and leaving UV footprints are different things

Yeah this one hosed me up for a bit lol

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
well i finally figured out the spirit box, which was confirmed by a ghost whispering "kill" in my ear when I asked why it was here so in retrospect that was not really a good thing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Lol yeah that first spirit box response is a doozy

I dunno if anyone saw but supposedly the next update is coming soon with a major graphics update. I have to assume the player models are part of that, which will be nice, but I've grown attached to the walking Poser default models and their arthritic gorilla hands

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

My buddy plays the one dude who's like 7ft tall and has dead soulless eyes. Will miss the accidental horror as he scares the poo poo out of me when I turn around

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
my friends & i all play as the bald black dude. i truly deeply appreciate the enormous amount of work the devs continue to pour into this 3 year old $15 game but i would prefer they not touch the janky, backwards-snapped-spine player models, personally

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'd be happy if I can spend in-game cash on dumb cosmetics

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My friend's avatar is the white guy and last time we played every tool he had mounted on his wrist, it was quite ridiculous

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I'd rather they update the ghost models over the player ones. Half the charm in this game is how jank the player models are.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So just got done playing a new game called Ghost Watcher. It's like a combination of Phasmophobia and Devour. Still fairly cheap on Steam right now and still being developed. Bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun! So like Phas, you have to identify what type of ghost it is and there are various objectives you can do during the level. But once you've identified which ghost it is, you have to do certain things in certain orders and you can capture the ghost!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I hope the next update stabilizes the voice issues I've been having in multiplayer. Usually once per map, some part of my voice chat will stop working (some combination of proximity voice and/or radio voice not being heard by others and not being recognized by the spirit box). Going to the audio settings menu, re-applying the existing settings and returning to the game sometimes fixes it, other times it starts working again after I use discord voice chat. I never had any voice issues before the last major update, and while this stuff certainly isn't a deal-breaker, it is annoying.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So just got done playing a new game called Ghost Watcher. It's like a combination of Phasmophobia and Devour. Still fairly cheap on Steam right now and still being developed. Bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun! So like Phas, you have to identify what type of ghost it is and there are various objectives you can do during the level. But once you've identified which ghost it is, you have to do certain things in certain orders and you can capture the ghost!

I've watched a few rounds of people playing Ghost Watchers. It seemed generally ok, though I do remember thinking the "ghost drags you halfway across the map" mechanic was more obnoxious than scary after a handful of times, and that was just while watching.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhasmophobiaGame/comments/zkuhc8/tempest_major_update_v0800_patch_notes_transcribed/

Christmas event, Wraiths no longer step in salt at all, and the Rev is back, baby

quote:

Revenant

The legendary Revenant has been left behind in the ranks of the new threatening ghosts. So, we're finally returning some former glory to the speed beast, and adjusting how this ghost hunts, hopefully placing them back on the podium!

Instead of slowing down instantly after losing line of sight, Revenant will keep their increased speed until reaching your last known position

Their speed will now decrease gradually over 2.7 seconds (0.75m/s) instead of instantly

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wtf, how the hell are you supposed to survive vs. Rev then? Hold two smudges and pray you aren't stuck in a long hallway when it hunts lol?

Edit: huge QoL change for crucifixes, you can place them properly and doing so shows the radius it affects. No more guessing!

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 13, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The new update is live today. Some ghost changes, some quality-of-life stuff, normal things.

But there's this little nugget:

quote:

Custom Difficulty will now have an 80% reduction applied to the reward multiplier

Wow. That's a lovely change for those of us who tended to play on Custom. I doubt my regular group will want to play anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Took a look around a few of the maps earlier, and really like some of the visual improvements. The lighting changes alone make this update a winner for me, places like the farmhouses and Sunny Meadows have so much better visibility it’s ridiculous. Snowy weather looks a lot better, though I still wish it would accumulate on the ground. Performance also seems noticeably better on my measly 1060. The ghost tweaks mostly sound cool, though the Yurei might as well have not been changed. The custom difficulty reward nerf seems too harsh, but personally it doesn’t bother me that much.