Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yea Apple has more or less reached market saturation with their current hardware lineup, most of their recent growth has come from services.

Latest rumours are that there’s going to be an iPhone 15 Ultra with a significantly higher retail price than the existing Pro models lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’ve heard that AR glasses is the next big thing.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 16, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
they should sell apples imo

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Yea Apple has more or less reached market saturation with their current hardware lineup, most of their recent growth has come from services.

Latest rumours are that there’s going to be an iPhone 15 Ultra with a significantly higher retail price than the existing Pro models lol

I have no idea what they could possibly put in a smartphone to justify an even higher price tag at this point. At least with the Apple Watch Ultra, you're filling a specific niche use-case and the price isn't that much more compared to prior year Titanium models.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Apple wants to make more money? Bring back the swag catalog you cowards.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Go to Apple Park or Infinite Loop and you can buy all the wacky Apple T-shirts you want. Each store has different designs, with IL being more retro, so you’ll want to visit both.

They’ve got other merch too, like sketchbooks and pens and water bottles. Or the cool product flash cards, which unfortunately were out of stock when I visited.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Jose Oquendo posted:

Apple wants to make more money? Bring back the swag catalog you cowards.

I would probably buy the second one if it was easy to acquire and reasonably priced, I don't even suck off Apple, just a cool design.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Go to Apple Park or Infinite Loop and you can buy all the wacky Apple T-shirts you want. Each store has different designs, with IL being more retro, so you’ll want to visit both.

They’ve got other merch too, like sketchbooks and pens and water bottles. Or the cool product flash cards, which unfortunately were out of stock when I visited.

lol are they seriously packed in boxes?

rly want the flying Apple logo

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Endless Mike posted:

lol are they seriously packed in boxes?

rly want the flying Apple logo

Yup, they come in white boxes like Apple accessories. Rainbow streak is great but I still love the Pirate flag logo the best. They’re not cheap though, $40 a piece.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

kefkafloyd posted:

someone lost their job over that imperfectly faced shelf

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kefkafloyd posted:

Or the cool product flash cards, which unfortunately were out of stock when I visited.

iMac!
Right
Power Mac G4! Right
Mac II! WRONG! It's actually a Mac IIx.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus as the amount of space (32 GB) is getting constrained.

However, there are some issues:

• I want a large form factor phone (this is critical or I won't be able to use it)
• I don't use a phone case, but all iPhones after the 7 have glass backs - what's most resistant to damage? It'll be in my pocket up against my keys.
• I'd prefer the front bezel to be white if possible

What would people recommend?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quackles posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus as the amount of space (32 GB) is getting constrained.

• I want a large form factor phone (this is critical or I won't be able to use it)
• I don't use a phone case, but all iPhones after the 7 have glass backs - what's most resistant to damage? It'll be in my pocket up against my keys.

1.) 14 Plus or Pro Max (including refurbs) are your only (Apple) options
2.) Glass is higher on the mohs scale than steel, the main source of scratches in pockets is going to be sand. The frame is another story though, that sumbitch will scratch whether it's steel or aluminum.
3.) I want that too, but it's too late now. :sigh:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) 14 Plus or Pro Max (including refurbs) are your only (Apple) options

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention:

• Assume I'm buying the phone used. Just say what model you think would be best and I'll ask my local independent computer store to fish one up.

quote:

2.) Glass is higher on the mohs scale than steel, the main source of scratches in pockets is going to be sand. The frame is another story though, that sumbitch will scratch whether it's steel or aluminum.

OK, that's a weight off.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I haven't had any scratches on the SS bands of iPhones Pro from going caseless. I don't carry keys in the same pocket though.

If you're buying second hand I would go for a 13 Pro Max (assuming that you can't get a 14 Pro Max second hand just yet.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quackles posted:

• Assume I'm buying the phone used. Just say what model you think would be best and I'll ask my local independent computer store to fish one up.

OK, that's a weight off.

If it's not an actual Apple refurbished phone, get the 13 pro max, since it will have a less used oled screen. Otherwise, a 12 will probably be just fine.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i went from an 8 plus to a 14 pro, no bezels means the screen size is bigger so try that rear end out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

Just to check: are you in the US or not ? US has an on going carrier price war, so sometimes you can get good deals. Postpaid only.

13 pro max if you can find it used would be a good option otherwise.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Quackles posted:

Just to be that annoying guy again but the 13 mini has pretty much the same amount of screen space as the 7 plus while still being comfortable to hold and use.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I feel like if someone’s coming from a 7 plus then they are used to and probably specifically want a large phone. OP made a point of saying ‘I want a large form factor phone, this is critical or I won’t be able to use it’

It’s not clear if the requirement for large form factor is for the purposes of screen real estate or physical size - it could be the latter, they may have some sort of condition which makes holding or carrying a smaller phone more difficult.

As for bezels though, iPhones don’t really have bezels any more.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the white bezel is dead and gone even if you get an iphone SE

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quackles posted:

Duckman2008 posted:

Just to check: are you in the US or not ? US has an on going carrier price war, so sometimes you can get good deals. Postpaid only.

Definitely consider this - I can't believe how many $500 - $1000 credits available, even for 5+ year old trade-ins.

I'm pretty amazed you've gotten by with a 32GB iPhone for this long - managing a device's app storage sounds like my worst nightmare. Give me the extra storage so I don't have to think about it for the next 3+ years of the device. The last time I had 32GB of storage in my phone was over a decade ago with the iPhone 5 :aaaaa:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 18, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to allow Outlook mail notifications while I'm in my work focus, but not allow them when I'm in NO focus (anytime outside work hours). It seems I can only add apps to the allowed/block list if I'm actually IN a focus, rather than not being in any focus.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a way to allow Outlook mail notifications while I'm in my work focus, but not allow them when I'm in NO focus (anytime outside work hours). It seems I can only add apps to the allowed/block list if I'm actually IN a focus, rather than not being in any focus.

I just created a "Personal" focus that automatically turns on when my "Work" focus turns off. Then Outlook tracks the focus to enable its own Personal or Work mode. Does that get at what you want to do?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

I just created a "Personal" focus that automatically turns on when my "Work" focus turns off. Then Outlook tracks the focus to enable its own Personal or Work mode. Does that get at what you want to do?

Yeah I guess it would 99%. It’s annoying seeing a focus icon at the top of the screen and on my watch screen all the time, but whatever I guess. Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The outlook app has its own quiet hours setting. Set your quiet hours for whenever you’re not at work and allow the app in Work focus.

Click your face/profile then click the alarm clock icon in the upper right

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sweet, thanks!

Why in the world that setting isn’t under notifications blows my mind. I’ve never seen that alarm clock icon before.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 19, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm in Canada. I also won't purchase a phone on contract under any circumstances; I would prefer to buy an older used iPhone with a replacement battery (sadly my local used computer store didn't have an 8 Plus in white) but I'll take whatever as long as the size is good (see below).

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like if someone’s coming from a 7 plus then they are used to and probably specifically want a large phone. OP made a point of saying ‘I want a large form factor phone, this is critical or I won’t be able to use it’

It’s not clear if the requirement for large form factor is for the purposes of screen real estate or physical size - it could be the latter, they may have some sort of condition which makes holding or carrying a smaller phone more difficult.

As for bezels though, iPhones don’t really have bezels any more.

I'll adapt to the lack of a bezel, I guess. But yes, I do want a physically large phone; I have big hands.

Gay Retard posted:

I'm pretty amazed you've gotten by with a 32GB iPhone for this long - managing a device's app storage sounds like my worst nightmare. Give me the extra storage so I don't have to think about it for the next 3+ years of the device. The last time I had 32GB of storage in my phone was over a decade ago with the iPhone 5 :aaaaa:

The secret is that I use it as my secondary computing device; my primary is a MacBook Pro which has effectively inexhaustible space. What's taking up the space on my iPhone is mobile games :v:

I've only had the phone for about two years; before that I was on a flip phone because the MacBook Pro did everything.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Quackles posted:

I'm in Canada. I also won't purchase a phone on contract under any circumstances; I would prefer to buy an older used iPhone with a replacement battery (sadly my local used computer store didn't have an 8 Plus in white) but I'll take whatever as long as the size is good (see below).

I'll adapt to the lack of a bezel, I guess. But yes, I do want a physically large phone; I have big hands.

The secret is that I use it as my secondary computing device; my primary is a MacBook Pro which has effectively inexhaustible space. What's taking up the space on my iPhone is mobile games :v:

I've only had the phone for about two years; before that I was on a flip phone because the MacBook Pro did everything.

ww@ amigo, im in vancouver and just went from an 8 plus to 14 pro and the 8 plus is just sitting around now. battery needs to be changed tho it's at like 76% max capacity or something lol but it never got the performance downgrade or w/e

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
So I've been an android user since 2010 but I'm probably going to be switching to iPhone from my galaxy s21 ultra soon because my son is coming up on phone age and from what I can tell the parental controls on ios are better unless I want to install Spyware on android (I don't).

I guess my question is for anyone who has made a similar switch after being android basically/almost since smart phones existed. How long will I regret it before I accept it (kidding, this is entirely subjective I know).

How do the Google apps work with ios, from what I can tell on my iPad, Google photos won't upload pics unless I have the app open which is kind of annoying. Any other weird quirks with Gmail, maps, Google home, other apps? Does the Google opinion reward app on ios give as many surveys as Android?

Any tips or tricks for switching? How do I live without a dedicated back and app switching button? They don't have touchid anymore right? They ever gonna bring it back? I've gotten so used to my in-screen fingerprint scanner, really gonna miss it.

Last thing, does the ask for approval thing in screen time just stop working and is there a way to fix it. One of my kids iPads for about a month has only been sending the request to my MacBook and no matter what mine nor my wife's iPad never gets it. Is that gonna happen with the iPhone too or am I just super unlucky?

Thanks for reading my long post

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there such thing as a weight scale that puts data into Apple Health automatically, or is opening an iPhone app every time just a necessary step?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Any tips or tricks for switching? How do I live without a dedicated back and app switching button? They don't have touchid anymore right? They ever gonna bring it back? I've gotten so used to my in-screen fingerprint scanner, really gonna miss it.

It’s all swipe gestures. If you want to go back, swipe back. If you want to switch apps either swipe left/right on the home bar or swipe up and get the app cards. It’s very intuitive once you get used to the gestures.

I don’t have answers to your other questions but I will say that Apples strong points are it’s deep integration with other Apple services so I would recommend at least trying a clean start on Apple app (mail, maps, safari, etc) and see how you like it before switching over to Google apps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah fighting years and years of muscle memory is not easy or fun, so the best advice is to keep an open mind and know it will take time to adjust.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Using an iphone with Gmail, Google maps, Google photos, chrome, gcal, etc, works great and there's no reason to switch to apple's versions if you're already used to and using google's

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Is there such thing as a weight scale that puts data into Apple Health automatically, or is opening an iPhone app every time just a necessary step?

Yeah afaik if you give the app access to health it should put the data in there. I know the scales that do this exist I just don’t know off hand which ones do.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

There are a bajillion smart scale brands.

Have a look here if it’s not paywalled? https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-smart-scales/amp/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh I have a Wyze scale, it’s just that you have to weigh yourself and then open the iPhone app and wait for it to connect to the scale via Bluetooth and then the Health data is updated. Ideally I could skip the app part each time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could you create a shortcut to open health when that specific device connects? I say this having no idea how shortcuts works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Withings scale updates over wifi, but best I can tell, you still have to open the app to get it to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

smackfu posted:

My old withings scale does send the records over wi-fi to withings but if i open the app, all data will be sent to apple health. My busted garmin index worked the same(while being worse than the withings so i advise against getting one).