Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

and whats it gonna get them? a lawsuit tied up for years in the international court system? meanwhile they're unemployed lol

....no? Twitter France (or whatever) is its own thing and can be fined directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

one of elon's master legal strats was getting his adversary to hire a QAnon loving moron

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
After a few million you do kind of stop thinking about some real basic stuff I imagine.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Whose rereg are you anyway? That you, Greg?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

All I can say is Elon’s Twitter comments look like a completely different place than last night. Many accounts that showed any slight opposition on Elon’s account have been disabled, and the comments went poof. I don’t even have to point out the irony next to the “free speech” he was pushing for at this point.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

learnincurve posted:

lol in order to see musk's tweets you have to go to his feed, he's not blocked or anything the site is just hosed.

this is sad for all parties because they could have been doing anything else on friday night and it would be a better use of their time. like watch a movie, work on your own poo poo, hang out with friends. anything but sitting in the office on a friday night trying to draw out diagrams for a billionaire who didn't want to learn and just haphazardly came in and destroyed almost everything of value.

the worst part is: this was them spending a friday night after all their other coworkers got fired, trying to figure out how everything works. did they get every single thing? i doubt it, because there are systems with 0 engineers, so its just some other team with previous knowledge just going, "oh yeah we use gizmoduck", and drawing a box and pointing their system to it.

Searching around you figure out:
Manhattan = real-time, multi-tenant distributed database for Twitter scale (2014)
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/a/2014/manhattan-our-real-time-multi-tenant-distributed-database-for-twitter-scale
Gizmoduck = "Gizmoduck, the user store at twitter is backed by memcache, and some disk-based storage behind the cache." (2013)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6106003
Earlybird = Part of their Twitter Search Engine (2011)
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/a/2011/the-engineering-behind-twitter-s-new-search-experience

Okay, so what happened to Zipkin: https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin which is their distributed tracing system? I do not see it written there and there's not many other codewords left to fill that in.

Where is their deployment of Druid, an open source columnar database they use for real time analytics? (they didn't write it but its heavily used) https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2022/powering-real-time-data-analytics-with-druid-at-twitter

Hadoop Cluster (not written at Twitter)? They were definitely still using Hadoop and also actually working with Google in their Cloud Platform GCP (equivalent to AWS)
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2022/scaling-data-access-by-moving-an-exabyte-of-data-to-google-cloud

Even if this was a general overview... that looks entirely too small. There is no telemetry anywhere.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

Frank Frank posted:

Whose rereg are you anyway? That you, Greg?

Timmy the dog.

Famous 5, not Brady Bunch

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

How’s the drump poll going? Almost 13 million votes

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm sure various hackers around the world appreciate the diagram of Twitter's internal network layout, however high-level it may be.

Also oof at the three(?) women in the code review room being literally pushed to the absolute back of the crowd.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

davecrazy posted:

I don’t get the whole whiteboard thing. Nobody was ever alledging that the Twitter infrastructure was bad. All of its “problems” were around revenue and content moderation which is not an infrastructure engineering issue, yet he’s acting like he needs better engineering to ‘fix’ Twitter. How can you spend 44billion on a company and have no idea how it works or what it does. lol.

quote:

Musk told investors that he felt Twitter’s earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization margin was too low and the company has “too many engineers not doing enough,” Faber said, citing sources familiar. Musk also pledged to make the company a “magnet for talent,” Faber added.

from back in May https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/05/elon-musk-expected-to-serve-as-temporary-twitter-ceo-after-deal-closes.html

I suspect Musk did, at some level, fail to grasp the kind of engineering problem Twitter sets out to solve

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

davecrazy posted:

I don’t get the whole whiteboard thing. Nobody was ever alledging that the Twitter infrastructure was bad. All of its “problems” were around revenue and content moderation which is not an infrastructure engineering issue, yet he’s acting like he needs better engineering to ‘fix’ Twitter. How can you spend 44billion on a company and have no idea how it works or what it does. lol.

Elon Musk was implying it with his “1000 microservices and only 40 are needed” tweet. There’s a lot of people running around now insisting that Twitters arch must be bad and wasting a lot of money.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

Knormal posted:

I'm sure various hackers around the world appreciate the diagram of Twitter's internal network layout, however high-level it may be.

Its very basic and as people have said, like he is teaching some 101 class

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Strong Sauce posted:

Even if this was a general overview... that looks entirely too small. There is no telemetry anywhere.
Legit question: what is a CEO supposed to do with this info? Okay here are our various processes. Is that supposed to guide some strategic decision? Does knowledge of the existence of Manhattan change things? From the corner office what are the actual practical uses of this diagram, even were it complete? Just to say he "knows" how the sausage is made?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah posted:

Because he has built his entire persona around being perceived as an erratic genius tech guy who codes and engineers poo poo.
When he's just an enormously inflated used car salesman.

C'mon, I know we all like to laugh at those beach photos but he's not that big

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Legit question: what is a CEO supposed to do with this info? Okay here are our various processes. Is that supposed to guide some strategic decision? Does knowledge of the existence of Manhattan change things? From the corner office what are the actual practical uses of this diagram, even were it complete? Just to say he "knows" how the sausage is made?

It's all a show to help give credence Musk understands any of this poo poo. All because he was ridiculed by people much smarter than him in the past few days.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon wants to be the CEO, which he is bad at, and also be an engineer, which he has no qualifications for.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

one of elon's master legal strats was getting his adversary to hire a QAnon loving moron

Pretty sure Linn Wood worked pro bono on that one. He does that to get high profile cases.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He believes the hype, thinks that he isn't a CEO, he's an engineering wizard who can spit out genius technical insights other people will never see even if he knows nothing about the systems beforehand.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

C'mon, I know we all like to laugh at those beach photos but he's not that big

I saw those pictures (I wish I hadnt) and yes he is.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

kw0134 posted:

it's important that the CEO knows, e.g., that the company's core product is not a straightforward CRUD app

this is a low bar! Normally such levels of ignorance relative to position of oversight only exists amongst, say, charity boards of directors. But we are talking about someone who apparently sincerely believed that Twitter might have a significant number of nonexistent employees on staff

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I have to say I maybe bought into the hype too much that the website would fail already. Hopefully tomorrow is the day that pushes it over the edge.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i am the ceo of twitter now everything willbe fine trust me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lol 70% of his followers are bots

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

*invites spectacular woman he just met at a classy social event back to his mansion
*She stares in awe at your palatial estate, wandering it's labyrinthine corridors.
*She pauses at a massive framed piece of art
*On white canvass are the huge black letters spelling HELLO WORLD.
*"Hey, yeah, I coded that"

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

BUT MY IRON TIGHT CONTRACT!!! i yell as i get fired through email with no immediate recourse while my employer remains unpunished

My friend, it's clear you have no idea how things work in actual civilised countries. The European workers will receive both short term financial support and long term (but still within like a month) big payouts.

It's wild how Americans think their hosed up cowardly systems are the norm everywhere else.

For instance, Germany and France are both much more economically successful than the US while not having much in the way of natural resources. If you ask a German to work on a Sunday you'll get flensed, if you ask a French person to work more than twenty hours a week you'll get a beret up the butt.

The Elon lickers getting posted in this thread are the American norm and it's loving hilarious.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

So the HGH and steroids made his internal organs bigger, does that include his heart? I’m thinking an enlarged heart plus his apparent stimulant use/abuse makes Elon pretty likely to just drop dead sooner than later, right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

I have to say I maybe bought into the hype too much that the website would fail already. Hopefully tomorrow is the day that pushes it over the edge.

I really don't expect it to, but god drat I want it to. I really loving do. Just, once have some follow-through universe. Don't let some scrambling dickheads at the bottom save the incompetent Captain. I've seen it so, so many times.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

So the HGH and steroids made his internal organs bigger, does that include his heart?

Like the Grinch but stupider

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol 70% of his followers are bots
70% of Twitter is bots.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

52/48 for the yes's

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

latinotwink1997 posted:

Do you think the results are unbiased, or beyond that, even matter at all to Elon? If people voted overwhelmingly "no" he'd unban him even faster because he's an edgelord manchild.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A LOVELY LAD posted:

"i told u i was hardcore"

my last words in the team slack as I pass away form a stress and age induced brain aneurism
ripper died of an overdose, though

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

cr0y posted:

52/48 for the yes's

That’s pretty good considering all the bots voting yes. :lol:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

jaybird is operating at 98% capacity and HAWK is experiencing a 0.0001% error rate whilst nestEGG is increasing at a healthy 3% day on day rate in its marginal return efficiency as ceo i can say this is good and exceeding expectations

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ronya posted:

it's important that the CEO knows, e.g., that the company's core product is not a straightforward CRUD app

this is a low bar! Normally such levels of ignorance relative to position of oversight only exists amongst, say, charity boards of directors. But we are talking about someone who apparently sincerely believed that Twitter might have a significant number of nonexistent employees on staff
With a non-moron CEO, you show that on page two of the "welcome to company" booklet and then breeze right past it because most non-technical eyes (and even technical people, outside their field of expertise) would glaze over and the point is made. Like I can create a diagram of how every subunit of my division in a major telecom interacts with each other and supports the product, and it'll be largely meaningless because he's not going to go to a central office and discuss telephony switching or whatever.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1594034286725804032?s=46&t=3V03hD2VWMXCQa9_UfPqzA

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

An outage will happen, the 40 engineers left there won't be able to fix it.

Twitter will be down for a month.

Elon will have the team set up a page on Twitter's 503 message where it's just him tweeting and no one else saying stupid BS

Twitter 2.0 will be launched using mastodon & immediately crash again.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cr0y posted:

52/48 for the yes's

The cursed ratio again

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Knormal posted:

Also oof at the three(?) women in the code review room being literally pushed to the absolute back of the crowd.

lots of people on visas, including the obvious Brit, and not a single black person in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I have my suspicions that the leering old dude with the fake hair is not from around here either