Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

claiming a balding man as your national figure is probably one of the most pathetic things you can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's more of a state-affiliated organization than the term mercenary applies. They work really closely with the regular Russian military. I've heard around 50,000 soldiers are in their little zone of operations, but there's no breakdown of that that really means. Personally I don't really think they're distinct from the Russian military apart from in a legal sense.

idk it looks that sharp decreases in prisoner counts happened in earlier years. Bit much to say that all 23,000 discharges had to be wagner signups

Да, Сковорода posted:

But a very cool thing has come to light: the Federal Penitentiary Service has apparently started to somehow process the outcast convicts who have been given to the Wagner PMC.

and this is reflected in their official statistics, which now show that 23,000 prisoners have abruptly disappeared from the colonies.

(Peak in 2015 is a large-scale amnesty, and in 2020 it is a covid when the courts have almost no sentences)

https://zona.media/article/2022/11/18/navoynu
(from t.me/skovoroda/2398, via tgsa)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

very rude to India

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No, we just kept gandhi on notes and went in for industrial growth instead of plantation acconomie like he wanted lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

effective ahimsa

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilippineStar/status/1593900824328970243?t=5KwLkn_MCHuNJuxBJ8dWeQ&s=19

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Hm
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1594016442869252098

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

More and more people are saying this.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

that's quite a statement

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"Just wear a sweater!" - Jimmy Carter

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Western European capitalist class is Nicholson nodding at this

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

now that i have learned putin is dismantling the carceral apparatus in russia i must further support him

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i'm sure that serbia, of all countries, can find some part of southeast asia that they technically claim as their rightful clay

this is what you do when you're winning, right?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

claiming a balding man as your national figure is probably one of the most pathetic things you can do

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

this is what you do when you're winning, right?

I would say this is the tricky part about this whole thing, in wars of national defense, usually there is no where to go, but Ukraine perhaps is a bit different (alongside the linguistic/political splits in Ukrainian society).

That said, you could also say this conflict, perhaps not that differently than Syria, is resulting intentional depopulation (although you could also argue both sides are conducting it). No one wants civilians around in Ukraine anymore.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Nov 19, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The sweedes will not feed them, but will gladly take their body heat for themselves.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I would say this is the tricky part about this whole thing, in wars of national defense, usually there is no where to go, but Ukraine perhaps is a bit difference (alongside the linguistic/political splits in Ukrainian society).

That said, you could also say this conflict, perhaps not that differently than Syria, is resulting intentional depopulation (although you could also argue both sides are conducting it). No one wants civilians around in Ukraine anymore.

I'd be interested to see if Zelenskyy comes out and contradicts this statement by an energy CEO. It's logical and humane, but goes against the nationalist propaganda. They'll have to walk a fine line here.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

could go to russia...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

I'd be interested to see if Zelenskyy comes out and contradicts this statement by an energy CEO. It's logical and humane, but goes against the nationalist propaganda. They'll have to walk a fine line here.

I mean he might publically, but we have seen recently how much rethoric from Kiev regularly detaches from reality. If (and still a big if) the Russians do bring much of the general infrastructure down, there most likely wouldn't be anywhere to put people even if there were areas of the country still with electricity/water/heat. Western Ukraine is much lower density than Western/central Ukraine and they can only take so many people in.

When I said, "drag down to the mat" this is more or less what I was talking about, to slowing drag the entire nation down until it is unlivable, and eventually that will have an effect on its military.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I mean he might publically, but we have seen recently how much rethoric from Kiev regularly detaches from reality. If (and still a big if) the Russians do bring much of the general infrastructure down, there most likely wouldn't be anywhere to put people even if there were areas of the country still with electricity/water/heat. Western Ukraine is much lower density than Western/central Ukraine and they can only take so many people in.

When I said, "drag down to the mat" this is more or less what I was talking about, to slowing drag the entire nation down until it is unlivable, and eventually that will have an effect on its military.

I just found the BBC interview that this thing came from and it's a bit taken out of context, to be fair. The CEO is basically saying "if you can leave for a few months it would help the grid, but there's no emergency where it's necessary to leave."

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1594040040707051521?s=20&t=aaL7_U0SqarIG4jdIghGfg

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

I just found the BBC interview that this thing came from and it's a bit taken out of context, to be fair. The CEO is basically saying "if you can leave for a few months it would help the grid, but there's no emergency where it's necessary to leave."

That said, I don't know how many Ukrainians are sticking around when they could have easily left beforehand.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

they can stay in germany, where plentiful supplies of natural gas will keep the heating prices down,

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

That said, I don't know how many Ukrainians are sticking around when they could have easily left beforehand.
Easily is an exaggeration it's still illegal for men to leave, and it will cost them money and some risk to cross the border. Then there is also the question of coming back and maybe being branded a deserter when this is over.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Germany is an occupied nation, they will never pursue freedom.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Arent ukrainian men still barred from leaving the country, or did they back down from that

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1593964877160321025?t=q7lm3ORfzDY-MhNbvk0nyQ&s=19

Russia is blowing up their own pipelines again

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Arent ukrainian men still barred from leaving the country, or did they back down from that

no, still true. about 25% of SBU propaganda is bragging about cracking down on "evaders," in addition to bragging about purging collaborators. basically they just post nonstop about ethnic Russians, students, and minorities being arrested.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Easily is an exaggeration it's still illegal for men to leave, and it will cost them money and some risk to cross the border. Then there is also the question of coming back and maybe being branded a deserter when this is over.

Yeah, but they are going to still be barred unless they smuggle themselves out. That said, if things get really bad, I don't know how you keep order when much of your population needs to leave.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1594022410868912128

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1594017473078124544

To the last Ukrainian.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Scholz appears drunk, what a sad state of affairs for the German left!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ZАПИСКИ VЕТЕРАНА posted:

Today is Missile Forces and Artillery Day. Cheers to all involved! This war has shown that artillery and missile troops are the decisive ones.
(from t.me/notes_veterans/6673, via tgsa)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/cityafreaks/status/1588606804074065920

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Reddit

Nation

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1593320863771803650

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

On the loving nose. Youch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rutibex posted:

Yeah the excuse of "there isn't much food so we have to be careful" is utter bullshit and antihuman. hunter gatherer tribes share tons and they have a lot less resources than sweden. Russians share just like normal people and they have been hosed by famines and weather quite a bit!

sweaden culture feels like if entitled boomers existed for 1000 years and made a culture out of it

I’ve enjoyed reading books by Icelandic authors and every other scene has a traveler coming by to whom they give salt fish and coffee. I remember this kind of stuff from a few Norwegian novels too (Knut Hamsun :hitler:). maybe Swedish is exceptional.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

greetings from m. Gandhi, ruler and king of the Indians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve enjoyed reading books by Icelandic authors and every other scene has a traveler coming by to whom they give salt fish and coffee. I remember this kind of stuff from a few Norwegian novels too (Knut Hamsun :hitler:). maybe Swedish is exceptional.

all nordics are garbage people, hth