Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pookah posted:

I used to work in european software localisation and it's absolutely a thing that nothing is going to get done in August because most of Europe is on holiday then.
Like, literally every email sent is going to get an out-of-office reply.

It is awesome.

Similar with Chinese new year, the hundreds of millions on the move don’t return emails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strong Sauce posted:

At best it would be left to the CTO to understand this but Elon's short a couple C-Suite right now.

But yes at the very least a CTO would be given some kind of overview like this. Someone with some curiosity... say someone who had just purchased the company for a lot of money, would probably probe further in. But it should't take a huge team like that to show him this. A Product Manager could just give him this overview over lunch.
Asking product managers to run through a architecture flow chart of your single and only tech product is a very good presentation to take in before you make statements like "the headcount here has room for improvement" or "I'm going to buy you for 4x your valuation and fix this".

Laying off everyone of note and asking the remaining engineers "wait, what's our architecture actually?" is like Hitler in his bunker as the Red Army takes Berlin asking "is it bad outside?" while Götterdämmerung plays in the background.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol America is the way it is has nothing to do with poverty. It’s the old temporarily embarrassed millionaires thing that’s engrained itself into the culture at large.

Lol at the idea Europe doesn’t have poor people

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol at the idea Europe doesn’t have poor people

Not even close to what was implied but go off

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

The other point I'm making here is that there are some jobs that just don't let you work the hours that you'd like to work and they're essential jobs. Collecting garbage sucks rear end but imagine if we lost all the loving garbage collectors. The right way to go about this is to honestly lower the wages for poo poo like Twitter engineers and increase the wages and lower the work time for garbage collectors so they need to do it every loving day.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 19, 2022

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Mars is seriously more possible right now than hair implants

He's trying so hard

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Bottom Liner posted:

Spoken as someone that has no idea what a life of poverty in America is like. It's systemic oppression and you're literally using Kanye's "black people chose to be slaves" argument.

The Jan 6 rioters were overwhelmingly wealthy middle class fucks.

Like yeah, it would be great if general strikes and class unity were to materialize out of thin air but you're completely ignoring all the systems and power structures built over literal centuries to quell that very thing.

I'm talking about countries that abolished monarchies that existed for 4 times longer than America has. I'm talking about the fact that most Americans do choose to be treated like slaves, and the majority of them are not African Americans. This response is ignorant of the entire history of the rest of the loving planet lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr. Merdle posted:

The other point I'm making here is that there are some jobs that just don't let you work the hours that you'd like to work and they're essential jobs. Collecting garbage sucks rear end but imagine if we lost all the loving garbage collectors. The right way to go about this is to honestly lower the wages for poo poo like Twitter engineers and increase the wages and lower the work time for garbage collectors they need to do it every loving day.

How are you missing the key problem in a musk thread of all things? Software folks earning 100k a year are not the problem.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Employment in Europe can be nuts. I've got a job that was established in medieval times that gives me August and September off on full pay (on the basis that I would need to travel home to attend the family farm or some poo poo).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I lived in Germany for a couple of months for work and it was astounding how the entire country shuts down on Sunday. Like even grocery stores.

In Sweden you can’t buy wine or hard spirits on Saturday after 15, and not at all on Sundays! (For home use, restaurants etc is fine).

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
You cant take a nine to five normal and splat it on a SV Tech person and cry whatever.

The dissimulate of your comment

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 19, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Employment in Europe can be nuts. I've got a job that was established in medieval times that gives me August and September off on full pay (on the basis that I would need to travel home to attend the family farm or some poo poo).

Whoa, was that in the brewing industry?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

yeah i'm pretty sure he's south african but I think he's already got a US citizenship

South African to Canadian, through his mother, and then US by himself. He's not South African in any real sense. The only really weird part about it was when he left, as there has been a steady stream of South Africans leaving since the end of Apartheid.

TBH, avoiding the draft towards the tail end of the SA Border War seems like a good choice!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Necrothatcher posted:

oh yeah? well my profession is even older. the oldest perhaps of all.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Bottom Liner posted:

How are you missing the key problem in a musk thread of all things? Software folks earning 100k a year are not the problem.

You're right, I was a little hyperbolic and made the issue seem more zero-sum than it is. But the issue I see is one of "people with the hardest jobs get the fewest benefits, so give them more and if that means that those of us who can have to live with less, that's ok. But also gently caress billionaires

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa, was that in the brewing industry?

Nah, it's a legal ceremonial kind of thing.

I also get a stipend to buy a pie each day I'm out of London.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

what the dickens.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Nice! When I was in Edinburgh got some meat pies and they were excellent.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

Me, an American: :crackping::lol::laffo::lmao::roflolmao::sickos::aaaaa:

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

Necrothatcher posted:

Necrothatcher posted:

LOve to see those docs

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He changes the King's chamberpot. Very ceremonial.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bottom Liner posted:

Not even close to what was implied but go off

That’s the only way anything you said makes anything close to a coherent point so pretend you did

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1593790743050682370

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
maybe dont twitter

maybe we dont need a twittr

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Mr. Merdle posted:

The other point I'm making here is that there are some jobs that just don't let you work the hours that you'd like to work and they're essential jobs. Collecting garbage sucks rear end but imagine if we lost all the loving garbage collectors. The right way to go about this is to honestly lower the wages for poo poo like Twitter engineers and increase the wages and lower the work time for garbage collectors so they need to do it every loving day.

Just a random note but I used to work in an office programming garbage runs and honestly it's a decent job in the UK - public sector which means 20 days paid leave minimum going up to 25 for 5 year seniority (plus 8 bank holidays ), hours are 7-3 on a 4 on/3 off rota, all your safety gear and training included free, and if anybody asks you to lift anything too heavy without the right gear you have a shouty union man dying to get into it with management. I'd take it over working at a supermarket any day.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Knormal posted:

Also oof at the three(?) women in the code review room being literally pushed to the absolute back of the crowd.

https://giphy.com/gifs/season-7-the-simpsons-7x5-3o6Mbd4qw5YnZKeuwU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

gets funnier by the second

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

DrPossum posted:

maybe dont twitter

maybe we dont need a twittr

We need a Social internet thats only 4 hrs a day per person.

Unmoderated

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How long until Musk bans AOC or any other elected public figures that hurt his feefees

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You get three tweets and five likes per day. Choose wisely.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Star Man posted:

How long until Musk bans AOC or any other elected public figures that hurt his feefees

Trump reinstatement plus 46 seconds

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Knormal posted:

Also oof at the three(?) women in the code review room being literally pushed to the absolute back of the crowd.

There wasn't enough space at the front to include their horses.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Tech work in Europe is something else. I'm a computer toucher from the United States and even when I take vacation I'm still basically available in an emergency. My European counterparts go on vacation and their Auto responder basically says you will not hear from me for the next 20 days no matter what happens, sorry.

Also come August the entire European side of our company basically shuts down and that's just how it is regardless of what projects or catastrophic issues we are dealing with.

Jealous

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

goatface posted:

You know what you've just unleashed, right?

You've used your three tweets, but you still want to get in one more sick burn. Unfortunately, you still only have 420 likes, 580 short of the 1000 that would get you three more tweets. But, Twitter's app store is selling a bundle of 10 tweets for $2.99, and . . .

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

European job benefits remind me of obscure D&D spells, like 'You can conjure a pile of leaves once per 24 hours" kind of stuff. Pie stipend? Tame

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
I love how much this has come down on workers.

Fully intentional.

By love I mean loving hate and how stupid are you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Sir John Falstaff posted:

You know what you've just unleashed, right?

You've used your three tweets, but you still want to get in one more sick burn. Unfortunately, you still only have 420 likes, 580 short of the 1000 that would get you three more tweets. But, Twitter's app store is selling a bundle of 10 tweets for $2.99, and . . .

Legit thought that might be a selling point for blutik. Free accounts get very limited tweeting and reactions, :eightbux: gives you lots (but not unlimited), :eightbux:*corporate gets you properly unlimited so you can respond to every one of your angry customers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

I love how much this has come down on workers.

Fully intentional.

By love I mean loving hate and how stupid are you.

Just choose to not be a slave bro

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

goatface posted:

"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

goatface posted:

using mine to tweet "Is there any better feeling than canceling plans?" and reaping the rewards (you get an ElonCoin for every retweet).