Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I deem it so bc I refuse to browse gws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rationale posted:

There’s a lot to do. Trying for temporary power by February so I can do some of it.

I keep hearing sell. Does anyone want to buy? Some rear end in a top hat has pulled up three times asking about a blow molded santa statue. That’s as much interest as the place gets.

Admittedly we’re nowhere near ready but I’ve never finished before I got started except a few times when I was fourteen or so but that wasn’t like this.

I feel like it's worth asking the fundamental question: Why donuts? (With the second fundamental question: Why retail donut sales?)

They're the type of thing that requires a lot of customer traffic to generate a profit. That location doesn't look like it would be capable of handling a lot of customer traffic. There's no paved parking and no way to put in a drive-thru without doing some very significant (and very expensive) changes to the building. Your original post mentions wanting to sell 800 donuts and 800 drinks from 6-10 each morning. How do you expect that number of customers (and their cars) to get in and out of this location in that timeframe?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Sundae posted:

Can this be the official BFC baking and pastry thread now? I’ll contribute a batch of pills yet donuts or something once I’m back in the states. :v:

Hell yeah, let's do it!

I bought a bunch of spices like anise seed and cardamom so I can make pfeffernusse this weekend, those little German spice cookies that only get sold around Christmas. They're possibly my favorite cookie. A bunch of the spices are whole, so they're gonna get ground up and be extra fresh and good

Also might make Polish honey gingerbread. It's a really cool traditional recipe, where you make the dough at least two weeks before baking, and let it age in the freezer. I've only made it twice, but I swear the spices got more intense the longer the dough aged

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Rationale posted:

There’s a lot to do. Trying for temporary power by February so I can do some of it.

I keep hearing sell. Does anyone want to buy? Some rear end in a top hat has pulled up three times asking about a blow molded santa statue. That’s as much interest as the place gets.

Admittedly we’re nowhere near ready but I’ve never finished before I got started except a few times when I was fourteen or so but that wasn’t like this.

There's your market. Pivot to donuts shaped like blow-molded santa statues

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I got the tude now posted:

I made a snake lol

wanna eat this snake

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’m gonna pave the lot and cut in drive-thru windows ya goofies

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Rationale posted:

Okay but what is this near? Because this looks like a location for a gun store not a donut shop.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

Can this be the official BFC baking and pastry thread now? I’ll contribute a batch of pills yet donuts or something once I’m back in the states. :v:

Given that this thread, to date, is more of a business mockumentary thread than an actual business thread, there will be some leeway on donut-related content. But certainly nothing official about it.

To all readers: the thread has already frustrated some posters who were trying to make earnest and serious-minded business recommendations. Business, finance, and career related content is desired, encouraged, and in fact necessary for this thread to continue here on a longer time horizon. But, please read this thread with your eyes open and realize the only reason it still exists here is because a large part of the community finds it entertaining.

In the meantime, play nice, and use the 'report' button when appropriate. Thanks.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Not kidding- when I see places like this I think potential too. That's from living and working in an area where buying property that's already been upgraded puts it out of budgetary reach and diminishes the ability to add value/equity.

Rationale posted:

What's the electrical and plumbing situation? Is the interior drywalled?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
The interior is catastrophic. Knob and tube wiring. Water been off since the bush administration. Dead birds. Horny ghosts.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
brb someone gave me a big pile of mismatched PVC and a broken toilet so I figure I should start a commercial plumbing business with it

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Rationale posted:

The interior is catastrophic. Knob and tube wiring. Water been off since the bush administration. Dead birds. Horny ghosts.

Whoa, ok got it. This isn't a massive building, it's about the size of four 2-car garages, and about the easiest situation to rewire. Since you can handle the plumbing, that seems feasible too.

You mentioned a $200k estimate. Does that figure seem fairly accurate to you?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
does anyone know how to connect a toilet to a sewer line with PVC? What kind of glue should I buy?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Giraffe posted:

does anyone know how to connect a toilet to a sewer line with PVC? What kind of glue should I buy?

Just get what they have at the dollar store. It shouldn't make a difference.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Giraffe posted:

gently caress all that you need to make a spreadsheet or two before you’re qualified to jimmy the shitter

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

based on the appearance of the lot, in southern california there would likely be environmental permitting requirements at multiple levels to do the paving. especially if it's going to impinge on the trees behind the building. it's very likely to be less strict where you are, but you should definitely check your local regulations

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

Rationale posted:

So you have to modify everything except MAYBE the plumbing?

Baking chat:
I'm gonna try to make a pie (apple) for the first time in my life today. Its my dead grandmas recipe. The recipe card is dated 1984 and it definitely contains ingredients that she did not put in when I was a kid helper to said pie making.

If good, bringing it to thanksgiving. Wish me luck.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rationale posted:

gently caress all that you need to make a spreadsheet or two before you’re qualified to jimmy the shitter

You thinking plumbing in a toilet and running a business are even remotely comparable is in fact the entire problem, you are going to lose all your money, and my only hope is that you don’t have enough time to employ anyone who comes to rely on their job to survive, because no-one else deserves to get taken down by your insane levels of hubris

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Giraffe posted:

brb someone gave me a big pile of mismatched PVC and a broken toilet so I figure I should start a commercial plumbing business with it

why not a drive through toilet?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Sell the money pit and rent in a viable location.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Will you buy ir

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lmao pics of the donut hovel were exactly what I expected, this is going to work out great. I’m sure all the used commercial kitchen equipment you bought has brightened that place up. Maybe you can pave the drive thru with unsold donuts?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

based on the appearance of the lot, in southern california there would likely be environmental permitting requirements at multiple levels to do the paving. especially if it's going to impinge on the trees behind the building. it's very likely to be less strict where you are, but you should definitely check your local regulations

This is rural Ohio or maybe Pennsylvania I don’t think they have regulations

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Big Taint posted:

Lmao pics of the donut hovel were exactly what I expected, this is going to work out great. I’m sure all the used commercial kitchen equipment you bought has brightened that place up. Maybe you can pave the drive thru with unsold donuts?

No lie the “soil” is mostly old plates and mugs.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it is a shame for anyone who missed the interior shots

dude's wife inherited a warehouse-shaped time capsule

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

n8r posted:

Sell the money pit and rent in a viable location.

Yea thats what I dont get. If running a donut business is such a good idea, why start with the building? Retail/restaurant space there is what? $25/sf/yr? You maybe need 1500 square feet? So call it $35k-$40k/yr to lease.

Versus what are the costs of owning and operating from this location?
- Renovation, landscaping, etc. seems like it'd be at LEAST 2-3 years of a lease, even if a lot is DIY.
- Mowing the lawn, fixing poo poo post reno, installing hear/AC
- Property taxes + insurance
- Financing (I think you said you own outright so maybe not this)
- Lost revenue due to opening delays
- Opportunity cost due to having less business because you are stuck wherever this is rather than a more desirable space

...seems like that could pretty easily eclipse $40K/yr.

That said I get some of that is an investment in the building you expect to recoup potentially. I also get the emotional aspect of owning something without debt.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Rationale posted:

No lie the “soil” is mostly old plates and mugs.

lol this rules

call your donut shop The Path of Glory

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I guess her granddad built the place because his landlord doubled the rent

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

Given that this thread, to date, is more of a business mockumentary thread than an actual business thread, there will be some leeway on donut-related content. But certainly nothing official about it.

To all readers: the thread has already frustrated some posters who were trying to make earnest and serious-minded business recommendations. Business, finance, and career related content is desired, encouraged, and in fact necessary for this thread to continue here on a longer time horizon. But, please read this thread with your eyes open and realize the only reason it still exists here is because a large part of the community finds it entertaining.

In the meantime, play nice, and use the 'report' button when appropriate. Thanks.

Seriously any poster frustrated that there is a lack of “serious business related content” after reading the first 5 pages of this thread should be given a sixer to think about it for a minute. It’s obvious that it’s either a troll, or if not a troll OP is def not going to actually listen to any real advice.

It’s like someone on page 100 of the Zaurg thread wondering why the moron wouldn’t just listen to the great advice people posted. Some people just can’t be helped out of the well, so all you can do is piss in it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sundae posted:

Made some rainbow bagels the other day for a work thing. My bagel forming skills need work but they came out pretty good and were really tasty. The everything flavored ones went fast, should have made more of them:

What they look like when you cut them in half:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sirotan posted:

Made some rainbow bagels the other day for a work thing. My bagel forming skills need work but they came out pretty good and were really tasty. The everything flavored ones went fast, should have made more of them:

These look fantastic!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Repost the interior pictures. I missed them the first time and without them it's impossible to give 100% accurate donut drive-thru advice

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Sirotan posted:

Ooh they're so pretty! Good job

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Sirotan posted:

Those are pretty cool

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

I'll take a half dozen. Are you selling?

:v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

I'll take a half dozen. Are you selling?

:v:

lol definitely not but good news! Somebody else is via Goldbelly!! https://www.goldbelly.com/baz-bagel/dozen-rainbow-bagels-3-free-ny-classic-bagels?ref=search&search_id=72596670

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

$83 with free shipping? How can I say no!?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Doesn’t even come with cream cheese

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you should be in the bagel business instead. Undercut them at $80/dozen with cream cheese. Figure you sell 100 dozen a day and you’re looking at an easy $240,000 per month minus expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Have you finished that toilet yet