Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why doesn't stewie use his inventions anymore? that was my favorite part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anyone watched the new Aqua Teen movie yet?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

yeah and its better than the first one.

I still wish they made the tv show

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of tame by ATHF standards but still a fantastic time imho

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man, how the hell did I miss a whole new season of Lower Decks? :mad: I'm only a couple of episodes in but they seem to have addressed my only major complaint with it, namely that it cranked up the comedy too much a lot of the time instead of just telling a good story. It feels like a proper part of Star Trek now in a way that the first two seasons almost managed but didn't quite have the confidence in themselves to achieve.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Man, how the hell did I miss a whole new season of Lower Decks? :mad: I'm only a couple of episodes in but they seem to have addressed my only major complaint with it, namely that it cranked up the comedy too much a lot of the time instead of just telling a good story. It feels like a proper part of Star Trek now in a way that the first two seasons almost managed but didn't quite have the confidence in themselves to achieve.

Yeah, I think a lot of people saw the trailer or first episode and thought "Star Trek - Family Guy/Rick and Morty ", but it's actually the show that captures the tone of the TNG era easily the best, and it's now the favourite new Trek of a lot of fans, me included.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lower Decks took a few episodes for me. The bulk of the early jokes were basically "Ha ha, this is Star Trek!"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah a lot of people recommend skipping the first 2-3 episodes because it starts pretty rough (especially the pilot where it's trying too hard to be Rick and Morty with the humor) but it's great once it settles in.

They manage to walk a good line between telling actual Star Trek stories but with humor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Turned off the new season of Inside Job half an episode in. Just wasn't feeling it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Open Source Idiom posted:

Turned off the new season of Inside Job half an episode in. Just wasn't feeling it.

I watched the first two episodes during a plane flight. It's good enough to continue.

Saw the rest of the season. That was actually really sweet. The main character with a dumb name is cool.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 18, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed really hard when the first episode had the dual joke (Atlantian Gibberish) and (Italian Gibberish)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
it took me a while to warm up, but i ended up really liking inside job's first season;

is this a full second run or like "season two part one"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nikumatic posted:

it took me a while to warm up, but i ended up really liking inside job's first season;

It's eight episodes.
Netflix call those seasons parts, like P2E3. Make of that what you will.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If you watch Aqua Teen Plantasm, do text the number the Mooninites mention.

Worth it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

Inside Job's first two episodes absolutely do not help endear the viewer to the characters. It's when they meet the reptilians when they start getting there

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah Inside Job series 2 was pretty great. There’d better be a part 3, you hear me, shadow government? :arghfist::tinfoil:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 19, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I assume like all Netflix animation, they’ve already commissioned the entire series, and just release 8/10 at a time until the total number is out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

I assume like all Netflix animation, they’ve already commissioned the entire series, and just release 8/10 at a time until the total number is out.

But didn’t Glitch Techs end prematurely? Granted that’s a kids’ show that they got from Nickelodeon, but still.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Netflix's normal trick is to order long singular seasons that they cut in half and release as two separate seasons to get a longer show for cheaper, since there's some deal about how they're supposed to pay per season they commission. I don't know all the details.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Netflix's normal trick is to order long singular seasons that they cut in half and release as two separate seasons to get a longer show for cheaper, since there's some deal about how they're supposed to pay per season they commission. I don't know all the details.

I believe it's that there's all sorts of salary hikes built in when a show gets renewed for a second season.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Yvonmukluk posted:

But didn’t Glitch Techs end prematurely? Granted that’s a kids’ show that they got from Nickelodeon, but still.

Glitch Techs was produced entirely without Netflix, axed, then shelved. Also true for the Rocko and Zim movies. Well, the produced without Netflix and shelved part, anyway. Rocko was done and shelved before I came on in autumn 2017 and Zim wrapped in... I wanna say April 2019? The deal with Netflix was in place by June the same year.

But for Glitch Tech- Just after we all got back from Christmas break, THAT Monday at 5 PM, GT crew was unceremoniously booted with zero warning. It scared the poo poo out of everyone, understandably. Turns out that in our recent head exchange, the new head didn't like the idea of having two action shows in production and opted to kill GT over RotTMNT.

And then they killed RotTMNT. Nick is not run great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

Glitch Techs was produced entirely without Netflix, axed, then shelved. Also true for the Rocko and Zim movies. Well, the produced without Netflix and shelved part, anyway. Rocko was done and shelved before I came on in autumn 2017 and Zim wrapped in... I wanna say April 2019? The deal with Netflix was in place by June the same year.

But for Glitch Tech- Just after we all got back from Christmas break, THAT Monday at 5 PM, GT crew was unceremoniously booted with zero warning. It scared the poo poo out of everyone, understandably. Turns out that in our recent head exchange, the new head didn't like the idea of having two action shows in production and opted to kill GT over RotTMNT.

I am always baffled to see how Nickelodeon treats their cartoons and the people who make them with such insane amounts of disdain and disrespect, even when it's cartoons that are wildly loved and have the potential to bring in a ton of merch money like Zim.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda feel like for a long while Nickelodeon has been looking for offramps to get out of the animation business, especially getting away from 2D animation, but they just can't manage. I think they might have been doing more consistently better in the field of toddler shows, but I don't really pay much attention to those. Definitely they've been really uncomfortable about doing shows for young adults or for splitting their appeal between kids and adults.

God knows what's been going on between the people in charge of the channel and the rest of the Viacom/Paramount/CBS company.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

That poo poo is so depressing :cripes: I have nothing but respect for you guys and nothing but disdain for networks

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Inside Job season 2 was good, still does a lot of forced pop culture references, which is fine, I guess even if it feels like lazy writing. I didn't hate Rand this season as much as I thought I would based on last season, even though he is still a terrible father. I guess he came across as too pathetic of a human being to be properly hateable, which is weird considering technically he's the most powerful person on Earth, save possibly the head of the illuminati and the robes whose deal we don't really know yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Everyone’s favorite documentary series is back btich: https://youtu.be/GqKX1Zu6v1U

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dragon Age Absolution is pretty good and breezy at six episodes. Maybe not worth if you don't care or don't like Dragon Age as a setting. As video game things go it's not up there with Edgerunners or Arcane but certainly better than that odd DOTA show.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Alright, finally caught up to and finished Inside Job part/season/whatever 2. That was a delight.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I am slightly distressed to see that there are over 8000 fics on ao3 for Hazbin Hotel, a show that only has a pilot episode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that's who the show is for

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

8000:1 is a pretty good ratio but Goncharov has it beat with 600:0

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The trailer for Ark: The Animated Series makes it look like exactly the sort of cheap tie-in series everyone expected Arcane to be, but evidently all their money went to hiring a voice cast:

Michelle Yeoh
Gerard Butler
Jeffrey Wright
David Tennant
Karl Urban
Elliot Page
Malcolm McDowell
Monica Bellucci
Alan Tudyk
Cissy Jones
Russel Crowe
Vin Diesel

...and some others I think I missed in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTbYmS5o_Y

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not that I'm advocating for hiring cheaper voiceovers but it would be nice if they didn't splurge on celebrity talent and let some pro VAs get work outside of anime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

Not that I'm advocating for hiring cheaper voiceovers but it would be nice if they didn't splurge on celebrity talent and let some pro VAs get work outside of anime.

Personally as I've gotten older I've gotten more and more against the hiring of celebrity VA's for TV shows unless they're willing to commit to the whole project like say Estelle as Garnet, as otherwise it just causes more problems than its worth dealing with(see several fusions over in Steven Universe that should have had a lot more appearances and importance end up getting totally ignored because the crew did a stunt casting of a VA that was too expensive and/or unavailable to do the voice again, the show even made jokes about that being an issue)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You can change voice actors. I always forget that Colbert voiced Professor Impossible in his first appearance in Venture Bros.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let me rephrase that. Hire professional voice actors and pay them what they're worth (which is a hell of a lot more than what they currently make) rather than shelling out millions for a celebrity who phones it in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

drrockso20 posted:

Personally as I've gotten older I've gotten more and more against the hiring of celebrity VA's for TV shows unless they're willing to commit to the whole project like say Estelle as Garnet, as otherwise it just causes more problems than its worth dealing with(see several fusions over in Steven Universe that should have had a lot more appearances and importance end up getting totally ignored because the crew did a stunt casting of a VA that was too expensive and/or unavailable to do the voice again, the show even made jokes about that being an issue)

I was always sad they never used Sugalite again except a single time for like 5 seconds where she doesn't talk, because her design whips rear end. But I guess they didn't want to shell out the money for (or deal with?) Nicki Minaj and recast her. We see Opal and Sardonyx several times throughout the series, I really wanted to see more of Sugalite

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pixaal posted:

You can change voice actors. I always forget that Colbert voiced Professor Impossible in his first appearance in Venture Bros.

Apparently a lot of the times a Celebrity gets hired to do a role they include a clause in their contract that explicitly forbids recasting the role without their permission, hence situations where you get a character that should be an important recurring one but since they're voiced by a celebrity they'll either never show up again or at most they'll be a mute background character

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Simpsons has a few regular roles that big name actors just decided they'd show up and do whenever they're called for, so sometimes you can get the big actor to just stick with the thing.

I think it made sense why Sugilite never showed up again long enough to talk. Amethyst's personality just didn't mesh with Garnet's in a way that would be stable and useful. I dunno if the nature of the fusion would change after Amethyst had her whole character growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

A lot of it is probably down to the director, too. Dreamworks seems like they'll call cut on basically any line read.