Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Would you consider the k371 worth it over the k361s? I know it's outside the price range I mentioned but people seem to really gently caress with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Kwolok posted:

Would you consider the k371 worth it over the k361s? I know it's outside the price range I mentioned but people seem to really gently caress with it

I have the 371s and think they're pretty exceptional for the price. Just be warned that I find their stock pads aren't great and the headband is uncomfortable so fix those and your laughing. Do not get the brainwavez pads, got for the Shure ones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for sub-$20 wired IEMs with decent audio quality? I'm not super picky about audio quality since I mostly use them to listen to podcasts, and I tend to lose headphones really easily so I like to buy a handful at a time. Convenient for keeping a pair in a jacket or whatnot.

The thread had a few that they recommended years ago and I stocked up, but now I've run through them and they look like they're no longer being sold.

e: Looking through the thread's recent history I see the Moondrop CHU, the Salnotes Zero recommended recently. Is there anything else along those lines?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 9, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

7hz/Salnotes Zero, Moondrop Chu, Tanchjim Zero. There’s a lot of IEMs called Zero that are decent right now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have recommendations for sub-$20 wired IEMs with decent audio quality? I'm not super picky about audio quality since I mostly use them to listen to podcasts, and I tend to lose headphones really easily so I like to buy a handful at a time. Convenient for keeping a pair in a jacket or whatnot.

The thread had a few that they recommended years ago and I stocked up, but now I've run through them and they look like they're no longer being sold.

I just picked these up after seeing them pop up here a few times and they're surprisingly nice.

Kwolok posted:

And I ordered theese: https://a.co/d/aaTodkV

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, gonna pick up one of each to compare. Thanks, y'all! Beat my edit speed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

e: Looking through the thread's recent history I see the Moondrop CHU, the Salnotes Zero recommended recently. Is there anything else along those lines?

Yeah I have both of these and they are fantastic.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
For the first time in my life, I decided to finally get decent open eared headphones. I got Beyerdynamics Amirons at first and was impressed initially, but deep down I somehow felt they could be better. I tried the Hifiman Edition XS in a hi-fi store the last weekend, which pushed me down this road in the first place. My listening experience was slightly hindered by some muppet blasting a pair of floor speakers few metres away, even after the sales guy asked them to keep down. I ordered a pair to make sure I'm doing a right decision and goddamn, do they sound amazing. The difference to Amiron isn't massive, but the Hifimans feel roomier both physically and aurally, so I'm sending the Amirons back.

Despite the totally up to date OP's recommendation, I also splurged on a iFi Hip-Dac2. Everything sounds amazing and absolutely worth the money.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Still trying to figure out the constant buzz in my new headphones. Its buzzing in only one ear, and only on one input type (2.4 ghz only, bluetooth and 3.5mm are fine). Does that sound like a hardware defect?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Loving a set of AKG K712 Pro I picked up! They're like Q701 with better low frequency handling (I want to emphasize just how big of an improvement it is there - these have nice lows, not super hyped or anything but you can hear it all well there). Great soundstage, really nice overall sound. I saw them at Thomann for like $156 before shipping and couldn't refuse, but I am glad I went for it. I might look into a replacement cable just because I'm not a huge fan of the relatively thin n' flimsy AKG stock cable here (not because I think the sound is deficient, I don't expect any changes there).

Still loving the HD 660 S also. I might pick up a set of Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z soon to round out my trip back into headphones, as I used to really love the ATH-A900 when I had those (twice, actually). Well, ok, I guess I'd still need one of the newer revamped Beyer X series to make it a complete update, getting the "newer and improved...er" versions of my old favorites.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 15, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Which ones? K612? K712?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Must have typo'd that initially, sorry, I'll fix it :) AKG K712 Pro!

Edit: I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some ATH-A990Z also, as Thomann confirmed they'll be getting stock soon and had a good price on those also. I've read very good things about them from others who have used and loved the A900X - I'm eager to see how they do for me.

I need to sell a few guitar pedals and put the proceeds toward some Beyer DT-700 X Pro and DT-900 X Pro to have my whole kit updated!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 15, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Go buy my HD600's!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017657

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I've seen the Steelseries Artic 7's recommended a few times, and something intrigued me. The Artic Nova Pro has their gameDAC feature that hooks up to multiple systems for quick switching. Has anyone used this? I'm not needing anything fancy; I just use my headset on voice calls for work (and gaming headsets work fine for that), but it would be nice if I didn't have to keep moving my headset back and forth to play on my PC.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Parachuting into the thread here: Can you recommend something? My lovely old earbuds have finally eaten it, and I'd like to buy myself some decent headphones since it's black Friday next week. The Headphone Buying Guide link in the OP is dead, and after an hour or so online, I'm still overwhelmed and have no idea where to start. I'm not a massive audiophile but usually listen to music at work for about 4-8 hours a day.

Budget - $100-300 CAD (inc tax)
Source - Android phone or laptop
Isolation Requirements - Yes, in an office with other people
Preferred Type of Headphone - I'd like to try over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced/bit of bass I guess?
Past Headphones - I've only ever used cheap buds and IEM. I like clear music with a bit of thump
Preferred Music - 80s-00s rock, alt, indi and sometimes Taylor Swift when no one's watching
Wireless - Not really a concern for me. It could be fun if that was an option, but I'd probably just get annoyed with Bluetooth connections and battery life.

Id don't think I'm that picky, so as long as they're comfortable to wear, have decent sound quality, will last a few years and don't look ridiculous, I'll probably be pretty drat happy. Any suggestions?

e: Sorry Arson, wrong country :/

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 18, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Parachuting into the thread here: Can you recommend something? My lovely old earbuds have finally eaten it, and I'd like to buy myself some decent headphones since it's black Friday next week. The Headphone Buying Guide link in the OP is dead, and after an hour or so online, I'm still overwhelmed and have no idea where to start. I'm not a massive audiophile but usually listen to music at work for about 4-8 hours a day.

Past Headphones - I've only ever used cheap buds and IEM. I like clear music with a bit of thump
Preferred Music - 80s-00s rock, alt, indi and sometimes Taylor Swift when no one's watching
Wireless - Not really a concern for me. It could be fun if that was an option, but I'd probably just get annoyed with Bluetooth connections and battery life.

Id don't think I'm that picky, so as long as they're comfortable to wear, have decent sound quality, will last a few years and don't look ridiculous, I'll probably be pretty drat happy. Any suggestions?

Moondrop Starfields? They have harman style tuning, wired.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you go Moondrop right now I'd get the Kato's or Arias with that budget, there's not much reason to get the Starfields any more since the Arias are basically the same thing for cheaper. For over-ears though your only real decent closed back option outside wireless is the AKG K361.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

njsykora posted:

If you go Moondrop right now I'd get the Kato's or Arias with that budget, there's not much reason to get the Starfields any more since the Arias are basically the same thing for cheaper. For over-ears though your only real decent closed back option outside wireless is the AKG K361.

I'd be fine with wireless, I just meant I'm not that fussed about it really and open to change. What else would you suggest if I went wireless?

I guess it's also worth mentioning I wear glasses?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone have any recommendations for some wireless ear buds for use in a warehouse?

Don't want the inner ear style as prolonged use of them hurt my ears.

Mainly for communication between boss and myself whilst making orders/on the forklift.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Outrail posted:

The previously mentioned Starfield is deprecated, replaced by the Aria at a lower price range (~$80USD) and Kato higher up (~$180USD), but yea it was good and now either of those newer models are well-tuned IEMs as well, tho the Aria have a reputation for poor functional durability and the paint bubbling/flaking off. I’ve owned several of these similar Moondrops and they’re all good, easy recommendations that frankly all sound nearly the same and should work for just about anyone. Kato is worth the money if the price differential isn’t a big deal to you, I like them a lot and they sound a little cleaner and sharper than the older variants. Also no paint to bubble off.

Etymotic’s ER2XR is generally available for around $130 in Canada. Tuning and sound quality are phenomenal for the price, I prefer them to the Moondrops but that’s subjective. If you need isolation, Etymotics fit much deeper in the ear canal than most IEMs, giving you attenuation of ~35dB with the silicone tips and ~42dB with foam, far in excess of typical IEMs. Personally I also find them more secure and comfortable fitting than most other IEMs but for some people they’re unbearable, look up a video on YouTube to see them being used if you’re interested, the fit makes or breaks the experience for people. Due to how deeply they fit there can be a lot of cable noise, this is easily remedied by looping the cable up around and behind your ear in the same way the cables on the Moondrops work, this both further secures the fit and damps any vibrations travelling up the cable.

There’s also the Dunu Titan S which is a <$100USD Aria competitor with seemingly better build quality, I haven’t used them but they are well regarded. Likewise the Truthear x Crinacle Zero, which are $50USD and tuned almost perfectly to the Harman target, a product of substantial consumer preference market research which is intended as a sort of ‘one size fits most’ tune. Haven’t heard them, not a big fan of Harman in the past, but enough people have spoken well of them that I recently ordered a pair anyway to try out.

There’s a sort of meme that the best closed-back headphones are IEMs, and it persists because it’s kind of true. Most closed-back headphones range from not very good to just bad, and the handful of decent ones are expensive because designing the acoustic space and damping for them is difficult.

AKG K371 and K361 are common recommendations for closed-backs in your price range as the best-tuned options, I haven’t heard the K361 but I did briefly own the K371 and I thought they were kinda poo poo, even ignoring their reputation for poor durability and the fact that for people who wear glasses they have problems creating a seal.

IEMs imo are the way to go for your use case, do some poking around for the units mentioned here and in other posts and see what looks good for your preferences and needs.

If you want wireless, Galaxy Buds are fantastic in my experience, on par with Airpods Pro, and are often available way cheaper than their original MSRP; Galaxy Buds2 are often around $120 on Amazon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Okay, seems like what I really want is open back headphones that don't leak noise :/

Failing the impossible, it sounds like I should go back to getting a decent pair of IEMs and accept I can't do Robert Hays impersonations during zoom calls.

Etymotic’s ER2XR look cool, and seem like they have decent reviews. I'll probably go with them and hope I'm okay getting earfucked by a robot.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

They come with dual flange tips now that don’t insert as far into the canal as the original triple flange, they really do not go as deep as internet hyperbole makes it out to be.

Will still take a little adjusting and getting used to inserting and removing them, always insert at an angle and sort of gently lever them into place, then when removing rock the IEM to break the seal before pulling it out at an angle. Also helps to open your mouth a little to keep pressure equalized via your eustachian tubes, and some people tug up on the top of their ear to help open the canal; I never do and find them quicker and easier to insert than normal IEMs at this point, it’s just a matter of familiarity. Your ear canals aren’t perfectly straight and large sudden pressure changes are bad times, never just shove deeper fitting IEMs straight in or pull them straight out while they’re still sealed, and due to the strong seal they make always break the seal before removing, don’t just yank them out like an idiot.

The process of using Etymotics isn’t any more complicated than using earplugs and it becomes second nature pretty quickly. As involved as all that sounds it really isn’t in practice, they’re quicker for me to insert and remove than the aforementioned typically shaped Moondrops because I’m used to them, and they don’t require ongoing adjustment since they stay in place well.

This is what I mean when I say wrap the cable behind your ear:

This will both remove any cable noise, which is a common complaint about Etymotics when they’re used cable down, and also help secure the fit when you’re moving your head/the cable is pulled on, as it puts any force from the cable onto your outer ear rather than tugging directly on the inserted IEM .

For what it’s worth my ER4XR, a slightly more expensive model, have remained my primary earphones for years now despite having briefly owned substantially more expensive ’high end’ stuff due to their isolation, comfort, and tonality.

One you get used to the fit, due to how little actual contact they have with the ear the ER series feel like they just disappear in a way no other IEM I have used comes close to. I find I can comfortably wear them longer than headphones.

YMMV

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I think this might be the only appropriate megathread to ask this, so here's our goes:

I'm looking for a headset with a docking station for business setting to connect both a landline and my mobile phone via Bluetooth.

The only brand I'm aware of really is jabra, and it was an incredibly comfortable headset. Truthfully I'm not sure the item in describing exists, but if it does/or if there's something better I'd love to hear about it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm looking for earbuds for gym use: cardio and weightlifting. Would be paired with an Android phone. I was eyeing the Sony XM4s now that they are on Black Friday pricing. Anything else I should look at in the rough $200 Price range?

Would be mainly rap and/or YouTube.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 19, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Galaxy Buds 2, Pros if they’re in your budget. People seem to like Sony’s stuff less and less with every passing revision.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Okay okay you've convinced me, I'll get a pair of the ear dildos.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Zotix posted:

I'm looking for earbuds for gym use: cardio and weightlifting. Would be paired with an Android phone. I was eyeing the Sony XM4s now that they are on Black Friday pricing. Anything else I should look at in the rough $200 Price range?

I like the Pixel Buds Pro and they are currently only 150 on Google store.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Zotix posted:

The XM4 are big bois that may not stay secure in your ears, for working out take a look at Beats Fit Pro and Galaxy Buds 2 Pro.

Bose and Jabra also have sport style buds with little wings to keep them more secure in your ears.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
For TWS buds I'm still using the Bose Quietcomfort buds I got a couple years ago.

They weren't cheap but stood the test of time. If I was in the market today I'd take crinacle's advice and buy the samsung buds pro 2 whatevers. Can't go wrong with harman tuning.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

njsykora posted:

Galaxy Buds 2, Pros if they’re in your budget. People seem to like Sony’s stuff less and less with every passing revision.

And keep a look out for deals. Samsung has discounted stuff pretty quickly after release in recent years and I've already seen these well under $200.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

And keep a look out for deals. Samsung has discounted stuff pretty quickly after release in recent years and I've already seen these well under $200.

In the UK right now you can get the regular Buds 2 for £79 which is a loving ridiculous deal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn, one of my Buds 2 Pro is just fully not working any more, tried everything I can think of but it's not syncing to anything so it needs to be RMA'd. Samsung's repair portal is probably the least helpful website on the internet. Where's the Serial number besides on the case in 1pt font? Here's a wide shot of the back of the box with 18 serial numbers on it. Where's the model code? Here's the same image! Finally got that poo poo and done filling out the form? Here's a generic error, please call us. After retrying 2 times it seems that it actually made support tickets each attempt it just gave me an error at the end as if it didn't go through.

Edit: And they just cancelled my rma request for let's see..

Ah good. These fuckers really want you to get on the phone to deal with these problems.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 21, 2022

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Getting my daughter an iPhone for her birthday and need some wireless/bluetooth IEMs for her. I'd like them to be decent for music, and not crap in any way as they will be a present, but don't want to break the bank as she will likely lose them within 8 seconds anyway. Maybe somewhere up to £30/40 mark. Any suggestions?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beats Flex go on sale a lot and are reasonably durable for kid use. Not sure about your local prices, though. If they’re too much JBL or 1more make cheap reliable wireless buds in the same style.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Getting my daughter an iPhone for her birthday and need some wireless/bluetooth IEMs for her. I'd like them to be decent for music, and not crap in any way as they will be a present, but don't want to break the bank as she will likely lose them within 8 seconds anyway. Maybe somewhere up to £30/40 mark. Any suggestions?

Yes and no. Avoid IEMs and give her a pair of Moki Navigators (they're volume limited) in the color she likes most.

She'll probably turn the volume to maximum immediately so ideally you get her something that won't permanently ruin her hearing so she ends up on a hearing aide by 25.

That might sound funny but after meeting your first young lady with a hearing aide (that she is too embarassed to use) who likes her high volume bass you'll understand.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Considering replacing my Hyperx Cloud 2 with the Sony MDR-7506. Here's my data:
  • Gonna use it for gaming, general communications and regular movie/music listening.
  • Place I heard it recommended mentioned it's very comfortable, this is important.
  • I will be losing out on the Hyperx 7.1 sound. This might be relevant for gaming, but I suspect it won't matter.
  • Will be plugging it into either the case or my Scarlet 2i2 depending on whether or not the sound is too sharp on the 2i2.
  • I want something with a solid build and good sound in that specific price range.

Good idea? Bad idea?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think if you’re not doing production work it’s an extremely bad idea to buy the 7506’s in 2022.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Black Griffon posted:

Considering replacing my Hyperx Cloud 2 with the Sony MDR-7506. Here's my data:
  • Gonna use it for gaming, general communications and regular movie/music listening.
  • Place I heard it recommended mentioned it's very comfortable, this is important.
  • I will be losing out on the Hyperx 7.1 sound. This might be relevant for gaming, but I suspect it won't matter.
  • Will be plugging it into either the case or my Scarlet 2i2 depending on whether or not the sound is too sharp on the 2i2.
  • I want something with a solid build and good sound in that specific price range.

Good idea? Bad idea?

How would you feel about a Yamaha HPH MT5? It's a super competitive price range though so also look at a AKG 361 or something too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If we're eliminating the 7506, I'm adding two more points to my list:
  • Gonna be doing some recording work (VO, podcast, all hobby-grade). Meant to include that, but I see I forgot.
  • I certainly game more than I do anything else. No need for an onboard mic though, which is another reason I want to replace the Cloud 2.

njsykora posted:

I think if you’re not doing production work it’s an extremely bad idea to buy the 7506’s in 2022.

Got it. I heard from a bunch of people on a podcast that it was good for general use and I should've known they were biased.

DancingShade posted:

How would you feel about a Yamaha HPH MT5? It's a super competitive price range though so also look at a AKG 361 or something too.

Probably pretty good I suppose, what would you say are the big upsides to the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The 7506 is an ancient headphone. That's not always a bad thing at all, but in this case.... The design is great except for the absolute dogwater garbage bag pads and the non-removable cable, but the tuning is frankly insane. Boomy sub boost that bleeds all the way into male vocal range, a big honky spike at 5k and zero treble extension past 10k. Get AKG K361 or 371 instead. The build is worse but the tuning is infinitely better.