Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

whydirt posted:

Plz stop posting Trump tweets

I'm trying my hardest to find funny Elon tweets but god drat it I am not a miracle worker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think at some level Elon Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally hosed, it was almost entirely his fault, his reputation is now severely damaged, and his entire investment is now wasted. He's probably pissed about that, so now he's just lashing out and making his perceived enemies mad while Twitter is still afloat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

frankly there are thousands of people on twitter both worse than trump and more actively malicious than him that werent banned even before musk took over so i dont really care that hes unbanned. i pray that trump has it in him to do the funniest possible thing of refusing to go back.

The problem was Trump was/is ground-zero. Anything Trump screams from his decaying brain gets echoed out by those other thousands of people as a coordinate single effort because (Ex-)President Trump Said It and it looks legitimate to Boomers. Being excised from Twitter like the cancerous polyp he is killed his reach so those other thousands of people have to throw random assorted poo poo and hope something sticks.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just realised I've never heard Elon's voice, somehow. Does he have a proper Sarth Effrican accent?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wonder if there’s any sort of legal advisor that is allowed within a mile of Musk currently because man, he really don’t get why certain people got banned from Twitter before he took over.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tree Bucket posted:

Just realised I've never heard Elon's voice, somehow. Does he have a proper Sarth Effrican accent?

he sounds like a huge fuckin' nerd

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

I think at some level Elon Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally hosed, it was almost entirely his fault, his reputation is now severely damaged, and his entire investment is now wasted. He's probably pissed about that, so now he's just lashing out and making his perceived enemies mad while Twitter is still afloat.

He does not - he is an entitled megalomaniac baby with constant need for attention who has surrounded himself with sycophants and created an online echo chamber with the worse possible people who constantly huff his farts. He has had the chance multiple times to just NOT do the dumbest and worst loving decision the last 3 weeks but does it anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tree Bucket posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYygm8oaGxU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mastodon is getting another flood. I actually don't mind using this but I mostly used twitter to follow sports stuff which is not exactly a strong point in a niche tech nerd ecosystem.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Has there been any response from the studios and networks about the hilarious amounts of copyright infringements going on right now? I’ve seen several entire movies being tweeted already, and I don’t think they’ve been taken down yet, so that’ll be fun for the Twitter legal department on Monday.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Guess it's time to become a furry artist

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tea Party Crasher posted:

This was the model for Counter-Strike source servers. Regular players could pay a monthly fee to be one of the admins, and they were allowed to gently caress with the server through the console commands in order to kick and ban people at their discretion. Perhaps people would pay in order to have their own isolated community instances within Twitter guided by their paid-for right to rule. For years other websites have foolishly used algorithms in order to create echo chambers, when they could have charged users for the privilege to do it themselves.

Edit: tldr of course people will pay to power trip, look how much Elon paid
Ugh don't remind me. Server hosts grifting their regular community with lines like "Fast, reliable hosting doesn't come cheap :agesilaus:"

Except hosting was totally dirt cheap. Asking players for donations was always a scam. You could buy that fast, reliable server for $5/mo and they'd give you a second server for free. Expensive my rear end. And so many rubes would donate $5-$20 a month to them. But one thing everyone agreed on - even the rubes that donated to these grifts - was that Pay2Admin is loving intolerable and should never be done. It's never a good idea. You will only have power-tripping manchildren as admins. Always and forever. They are the only kind of people who would pay for power over others. Guess it's inevitable then.

Coming soon to twitter! :eightbux::10bux:

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

Oh god I can't even make it through the first clip. The second hand embarrassment coupled with people cheering for this nasty potato man is too much for me

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

goddamn, in some of these there are people even more embarrassing than elon

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tree Bucket posted:

No he’s spent enough time in the US that he floats between American, American pretending to be British, vaguely British and South African often in the same sentence

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

PederP posted:

I'd caution those eagerly awaiting a spectacular technical collapse to temper expectations. Engineers and developers can keep a sinking ship platform afloat and mostly functional for a very long time. It might be unstable, buggy, non-secure, non-profitable and even quite publicly on fire - but still it can keep chugging along relatively functional. So while a mass departure of staff will certainly be crippling and cause numerous very severe problems - my experience with complex software systems and the organizations working on them - is that a true collapse is not likely to happen.

Do I think Twitter is going to be a good platform from now on? Absolutely not. But neither do I think there is much chance of the lights going out permanently. There will be bugs and downtime. There will be serious problems and much anger from users and stakeholders. But I think it will survive and eventually stabilize as a profitable and stable platform. I don't think Elon will recoup the full 44 billion - on the contrary, I think he will burn more to keep it afloat (indirectly, but still). I also think there will be new owners before the eventual true rebirth and stabilization. I'm sure it will stay big in Japan.

I mean. You’re only kind of right.

At organizations of this scale all it takes is some engineer to accidentally push the wrong config to some infra system that completely blows out the backend and is complex to restore.

Look at recent outages at Google and Facebook for example. And remember that when these outages happened it was an all-hands-on-deck situation for the staff that worked on these systems, many of which don’t exist at Twitter anymore.

e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Facebook_outage where running a CLI command accidentally disconnected all of Facebook’s data centers and engineers literally had to log into the physical computers because remoting in was borked. All from running a single command that propagated a config irreversibly.

They’ll be fine unless they get unlucky, but if they do it may easily be an extended outage. And the chances of getting unlucky with engineers trying to rip out all this “redundant code” raise the chance of getting unlucky significantly.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Steadiman posted:

Has there been any response from the studios and networks about the hilarious amounts of copyright infringements going on right now? I’ve seen several entire movies being tweeted already, and I don’t think they’ve been taken down yet, so that’ll be fun for the Twitter legal department on Monday.

At least one of the accounts with whole fast and furious movies is gone now, like 24+ hours later lol

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

If this whole thread turns into trump thread I am so done with it. Everyone will be spared from my bad posts at least

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the guy at the end asking to be made #2 in charge of Tesla owns

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/sarahfrier/status/1594105916915187713

“It’s not enough,” breathes Elon in a manic tone, looking down at his big red layoff button. “It’s not even remotely enough!!!!!!!”

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Unperson_47 posted:

If this whole thread turns into trump thread I am so done with it. Everyone will be spared from my bad posts at least

Elon just unbanned the most high profile twitter shitposter. If you don't like talking about it, just don't read the thread for a few hours until Elon does something even stupider.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we'll soon move on from trump when someone scores a goal and the datacenter catches fire

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Nobody can say Twitter is a terrible place to work if nobody works there :mmmsmug: checkmates leftists

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

A lot of Trump's tweets were written by someone else for him so even if he himself doesn't take the account back up, someone associated with him or his campaign will.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Unperson_47 posted:

A lot of Trump's tweets were written by someone else for him so even if he himself doesn't take the account back up, someone associated with him or his campaign will.

none of that stuff ever mattered and it was crystal clear which was which.

This is obviously a desperation move from Musk (along with him being a fascist supporting fascist) but :lol: that trump already preemptively called it out as exactly that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

It's okay there's *always twitter.

*Well maybe not "always".

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Hm yes, I need more revenue and customers, so I should definitely be firing my sales and biz dev people.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Tree Bucket posted:

Look up his SNL appearance it’s as strange as you’d think it is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rigel posted:

It’s 50% this, but Twitter will “survive” as a name/brand. Elon is earnestly hoping to eventually create (from scratch) his own personal Truth Social/4Chan/Whatever, using the present debacle as marketing.

The foolishness we’re seeing is not purely incompetence because it’s also marketing for the future lovely vanity platform.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

Zugzwang posted:

Hm yes, I need more revenue and customers, so I should definitely be firing my sales and biz dev people.

Duh. We just need engineers to generate revenue from ads.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Unperson_47 posted:

nah he's gonna stick on his thing and get all of his stuff reposted by people. best of both worlds as far as he's concerned.

when he originally ran for president he wanted to start a news network, this is what he decided to do instead i guess

I think he was born to poo poo post on a place and not be president or do anything really. it's where he seems happiest. not with family, not with friends, not having an actual job, just on the internet and shouting at strangers through his iPhone all day

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Look up his SNL appearance it’s as strange as you’d think it is.
God bless the stupid loving Wario sketch.

I just can see the awkward as gently caress pitch meetings where they're asking this overmoneyed loser "So do you want to do any celebrity impersonations?" followed by a full minute of silence, and then running down a list of more and more simplistic brainstorming concepts until they're asking him like you would a small child "So do you like books? Do you like, food? Do you like video games?" and Elon just straining himself beyond all possible creative bounds goes, "I like video games" and the room just erupting into "YEAH YEAH SEE MAN YEAH" and just so elated going with the first poo poo he says to get it done.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

no tweets yet from trumpy?

If not, :aloom:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

SirPhoebos posted:

no tweets yet from trumpy?

If not, :aloom:

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1594147961042128896?s=20&t=2OG7OZnY0zlNXCoVASpgCg

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Hoping for a Brazil vs US World Cup Final so it permanently destroys Twitter

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Still hoping that Twitter ultimately ends up in the hands of Yilong

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that makes it so clear that muks is primarily doing all this far-right-baiting because he's painfully uncool/unfunny and they're the only group that will give him unquestioned adoration if he just hits on a few key words and phrases. (i'm sure he's also a generally right-leaning dickbag in general, but he's clearly playing it up because he's finally a ~cool~ kid.)

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahfrier/status/1594105916915187713

“It’s not enough,” breathes Elon in a manic tone, looking down at his big red layoff button. “It’s not even remotely enough!!!!!!!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJeMEOLAWY&t=214s

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Hasn't stopped Elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I mean, at this point if it is completely and utterly obvious that all the ad revenue is gone and will never come back, then what is the point of paying for sales ad people anyway? Just keep building your dumb loving chud echo chamber that will cost you many billions of dollars per year every year until you finally pull the plug.