Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BonHair posted:

Wait, what? How does that not gently caress the data up if it just do happens to contain a bunch of zeros (like my posting)?

The low level protocol tries to balance the 0s and 1s and has built in rules to make that possible no matter the content. Might be called bit stuffing, but it's been a long long time since I knew this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/pass-labs-hpa-1-headphone-amp-review.39286/

$3600 :lol:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

aw poo poo, don’t tell me Nelson is a snake oil guy (lol, j/k, I already kinda knew)…I wouldn’t buy any Pass Labs products, but I’m a fan of the Amp Camp kit and his work teaching DIY

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
speaking of HPAs, iirc hifiman has one that send 5W per channel into things that will send you straight to otolaryngology when powered at milliwatt ranges

Palladium fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 20, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BonHair posted:

Wait, what? How does that not gently caress the data up if it just do happens to contain a bunch of zeros (like my posting)?

There are electrical issues that can happen if the signal spends too much time above or below neutral, so most digital protocols designed to go moderate to long distances over copper will use various encoding schemes to keep the average signal level at 0 over the long term regardless of the data being transmitted. Usually by adding bits so that certain dangerous patterns (long runs of zeroes) never happen and other patterns can be inverted to keep the average signal level neutral.

If you want to get nerdy on the details this section of Wiki has some good starting points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_code#Disparity

8b/10b is probably the one used by the most things in an average home or office.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Only tangentially related to audiophile poo poo but I just got home from work and I feel like ranting a bit.

Vinyl purist DJs crack me the gently caress up. I watched this old guy with a handlebar moustache get out of a taxi with three crates of LPs and two decks, have his partner help him set up (late) so he could play rock & roll and punk and new wave for four hours in the dive bar I work as a bouncer. He couldn't control his levels, and repeatedly knocked his tonearms off the records. And I just know this is the type of old dude who opines at length about how much "better quality" it is.

It's a novelty - and sure, a fun one at that - and there are few bars or venues in this city that have PAs that can do it justice. These dives ain't it.

Maybe I'm extra sour because I've been too depressed to seriously seek out gigs lately, but when I asked the bartender at the end of the night "hey what do we pay our DJs here" and he half-jokingly snapped "none of your business," I definitely wanted to clap back with "well I'm just asking because I'm better at it than everyone I've seen spin here." I thought better of it, just like I thought better of keeping the extra cash that he mistakenly handed me. Humility is exhausting though, and I often wonder whether I've crossed into 'pushover' territory about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Humility is exhausting though, and I often wonder whether I've crossed into 'pushover' territory about it.

…and so you’re…mad at the DJ?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ok Comboomer posted:

…and so you’re…mad at the DJ?

Nah, like I said I'm obviously a bit bitter, and the security work at these kinds of dives generally just sucks which doesn't help. I do think though, if you're going to be paid to DJ, that you should probably not constantly jump your own needles and clip out the PA every other song. Spinning vinyl can be interesting if you've A: got a unique and well-curated record selection, B: can scratch, or C: are playing on a system that makes a difference, but if you're not doing any of those things, why not just use a controller? I think some of these folks are stubborn in the same way as audiophiles, and I think the 'analog purist' thing is a BIG part of it, which is why I posted it ITT.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Nah, like I said I'm obviously a bit bitter, and the security work at these kinds of dives generally just sucks which doesn't help. I do think though, if you're going to be paid to DJ, that you should probably not constantly jump your own needles and clip out the PA every other song. Spinning vinyl can be interesting if you've A: got a unique and well-curated record selection, B: can scratch, or C: are playing on a system that makes a difference, but if you're not doing any of those things, why not just use a controller? I think some of these folks are stubborn in the same way as audiophiles, and I think the 'analog purist' thing is a BIG part of it, which is why I posted it ITT.

I mean, you’ve said it’s a low-rent dive with a crappy PA a bunch of times

Dollars to donuts he’s a hobbyist vinyl collector amateur who got handed some beer money and pocket change for all his trouble, the DJ equivalent of some rando undergrad fat-fingering his way through “Wonderwall” at a local coffee shop

Like you yourself said, good professional DJs aren’t spinning in a dive bar

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The way the guy instantly responded "none of your business" I'm guessing the actual answer is "in exposure" or something.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It’s amazing the lengths people will go to for a gig like that. I schlep my own gear, and it’s honestly not worth it unless you absolutely, positively want to play out regularly…and don’t have any friends.

Besides, all the old jungle heads who spin vinyl that I hang out with are bone tired of dragging around record boxes and spare needles and all that poo poo (esp in Portland, where most of the DJ venues are half assed at best — enjoy being your own engineer, bring at least one spare of every cable you’ll need, and don’t push the levels too hard or you’ll blow out the house mixer.) Way easier to have a laptop or a Rekordbox prepped USB stick these days. Busting out the actual vinyl is for, like, being invited to spin at a high roller friend’s birthday party. Special occasions only.

Went to one nightmare gig where my bandmate insisted on spinning on a set of decks that were too close to the subwoofer, so the needles were constantly jumping around. And then there was an obnoxious fan who kept jumping into the DJ booth and further loving poo poo up. He got so mad after that he smashed a copy of Port Rhombus on the sidewalk. Vinyl gigs really aren’t worth the trouble unless you can control the environment AND you know what the hell you’re doing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zereth posted:

The way the guy instantly responded "none of your business" I'm guessing the actual answer is "in exposure" or something.

A friend of mine used to do the dive bar DJ thing. He said the money was just enough to cover the tab for him and his wife for the night.

He also said that most of the full-time DJs in town actually made their money selling cocaine.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
lmao at the vinyl purist guy DJing in the first place. The only people still doing it that way after digital hit it big were people who were doing mixing/scratching/playing club 12"s that you couldn't get any other way. Everyone else moved on to some sort of digital because it was way, way less problematic. And you had better believe that none of the people mixing 12" dance records were concerned about the purity of their sound, it was just what everyone was using and what the clubs expected. DJ headshells and cartirdges were super heavy things that were designed to resist skipping if at all possible, not get any sort of great audio quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
why even play LPs in the first place ever, amirite?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Unironically yes, mostly. I have a pair of 1210s that I only ever use every six months or so to listen to old Tull records. I've been considering selling them because I'm broke; last night another vinyl purist at the bar offered me $950 for the pair. I said no.

Zereth posted:

Nah, there's a flat rate (I'm guessing it's $100 because bar owners are cheapskates) plus a percentage of bar sales, and probably some comped drinks.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Mister Speaker posted:

Unironically yes, mostly. I have a pair of 1210s that I only ever use every six months or so to listen to old Tull records. I've been considering selling them because I'm broke; last night another vinyl purist at the bar offered me $950 for the pair. I said no.

Is that the going price? I keep mine because I’m a co-owner of a vinyl label, and not having a pair of 1200s would be socially awkward, but I rarely use them. Even switched to an Akai AMX/AFX setup so I can leave them at home and still have knobs and poo poo for Serato.

My parents dropped off a pile of crap that included a USB/built in preamp belt drive turntable the other month, and I’m tempted to keep it around for sampling and digitizing vinyl, but get rid of the 1200s.

Okay, so the one audiophile thing about DJing that does matter is bitrate. Lower bitrate songs tend to sound like absolute rear end on a club system that’s tuned to show off bass frequencies in particular. I have never mixed out of a song faster than when I threw on a 128 kbps mp3 remix a friend did of the Stand Alone Complex theme. Might be less of a thing with better compression algorithms, but in the early 00s, that was the big reason to shop at Beatport or rip your own digital files.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I sincerely don't understand why anybody who owns SL1200s and still plans to listen to records would get rid of them, especially somebody who "co-owns a vinyl label", in order to replace them with a lovely ION USB dealie, but that's just me.

I mean, unless you're like hard-up for cash in an emergency--in which case I would probably direct you to the CSPAM thread that QCS tried to shut down

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I haven’t A/Bd them to win an argument on the internet, but 1200s ain’t what you get for high end audio quality. They’re what you get when you pay your friend in weed to carry your gear, and it has to survive possibly being dropped down a flight of stairs and covered in PBR. I’ve got basic bitch Shure carts in mismatched shells that I keep clean and maintained, but they’re not audiophile quality gear. Their purpose in life is to not yeet themselves out of the groove if I get feisty with some scratch records while entertaining my cat on a Sunday afternoon.

Not that the 90 dollar Target special is really worth a poo poo in terms of quality either, but it’s convenient and lets me sample directly into my iPad for Koala/Beatmaker 3 use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I haven’t A/Bd them to win an argument on the internet, but 1200s ain’t what you get for high end audio quality.

literally false. :psyduck:

you know you can change the cartridges on turntables, right?

you know tons of HiFi dorks have fancy HiFi cartridges on their 1200s, right?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Every single one of the forty-four Technics 1210s (various models) I own has made an insane amount of cash compared to what they cost to buy & repair in the first place. I think the most I paid was £230 each for a pair of brand new in box 1210 M5G, from a girl who found out her boyfriend was cheating on the eve of his birthday and just wanted rid. Our insurers class the Mk2 as a collector’s item — like a classic guitar that’s no longer made — so they’re worth more on paper than I ever spent.

Although several prominent professional touring DJ acts who were previously “all vinyl all the time” moved to USB sticks over the past couple of years, there’s still enough demand for well-maintained decks that I can’t see myself selling any of them any time soon.

Daft vinyl may be, but long may it continue!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
like, a turntable's entire job is to spin a record around at a consistent/precise and accurate rate while properly applying the correct forces to the cartridge and stylus and not succumbing to environmental vibrations or interference.

people consider the 1200 the "gold standard" of TTs precisely because it's a bulletproof quartz-controlled tank that needs virtually zero maintenance and runs like a top forever, while also providing a bunch of fiddly speed control/cue control features.

You can argue that it's overpriced/overhyped to hell and that the Mk7 shouldn't cost $900 new, but I'd pick a 1200 over an equally priced Pro-Ject/Rega/belt drive TT any day.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah even a lot of the big vinyl DJs are onto DVS systems now. Andy C hasn't played a record that wasn't timecode in almost a decade.

Ok Comboomer posted:

literally false. :psyduck:

you know you can change the cartridges on turntables, right?

you know tons of HiFi dorks have fancy HiFi cartridges on their 1200s, right?

It's more than just carts though. Technics aren't great turntables. They have a reputation as dj decks because they're robust and they can (usually) hold a pitch but that's about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah even a lot of the big vinyl DJs are onto DVS systems now. Andy C hasn't played a record that wasn't timecode in almost a decade.

It's more than just carts though. Technics aren't great turntables. They have a reputation as dj decks because they're robust and they can (usually) hold a pitch but that's about it.

lmao loving hell

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Records sound bad anyway so why are you two arguing?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mister Speaker posted:

Technics aren't great turntables.

That's true, they're not just great, they are literally the best.

Stable speed, outrageously solid construction, probably the best factory tonearm ever put on a turntable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 21, 2022

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

You know that Technics made more than just the 1200, right? And that just because people abuse their 1200s, that doesn't make them bad turntables?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'd pick a 1200 over an equally priced Pro-Ject/Rega/belt drive TT any day.

Getting rid of a Pro-ject Debut III in favor of a Technics 1700 mk2 was probably the best vinyl-related decision I ever made. Measurably better pitch stability and sound quality with the exact same cartridge/needle. Plus people have some sort of weird aversion to anything even remotely auto so I got the 1700 for almost nothing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You know the biggest manufacturer of turntables in history, the one with a product portfolio stretching over six decades and hundreds of models, the one whose name is pretty much synonymous with “the turntable company” to people above a certain age?

yeah all those turntables are actually dogshit

loving Trump voter-level reality denial going on ITT, just straight up saying the opposite of what’s objectively true

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
As a longtime Discogs user I know they've been having trouble on the back end for a while, taking a super hands-off approach to even basic issues with the site/database while moving more and more towards paid/shill stuff on the frontend. But this was particularly ridiculous: https://www.discogs.com/digs/gear/why-you-need-a-portable-turntable/

Play your records at work! Play your records while camping! Be that guy at the flea market who everyone looks at with a "lmao you have to be kidding me" vibe! And do it all with the most garbage portable turntable we could find!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That old Sound Burger ad but unironically.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, Discogs. Why ruin such a great resource with garbage shilling?

There really isn't anywhere else that lets me just scan barcodes and build my collection.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, Discogs. Why ruin such a great resource with garbage shilling?
If I may dust off this old gem: "There's a front page?"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ok Comboomer posted:

You know the biggest manufacturer of turntables in history, the one with a product portfolio stretching over six decades and hundreds of models, the one whose name is pretty much synonymous with “the turntable company” to people above a certain age?

yeah all those turntables are actually dogshit

loving Trump voter-level reality denial going on ITT, just straight up saying the opposite of what’s objectively true

Alright fine. You're right, I shouldn't be arguing in one post that vinyl is crap and denouncing a popular turntable in another. I shouldn't really give a poo poo, and you're right again, that I don't. My Techs have been tuned up by one of the best local technicians, and they run great, and they do the job I want them to (playing Tull records every few months when friends come over and drunkenly demand we listen to vinyl even though the rest of the stages in my setup are AD-DA-AD-DA for days). But literally nobody said they were dogshit. You're also right that in the spirit of this thread, they are perfectly fine. I hope they hold their value. But I think it's not too far into the 'diminishing returns/snake oil' realm to say that objectively, if you're going to be a vinyl head and make that your whole thing, you might spring for something a bit more than just a workhorse tech12.

Having said that, with the outrageous price tags on the new mk7s or whatever, I am legit curious as to how many buyers consider themselves audiophiles and how many are just really rich DJs.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 21, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

[i]You know the biggest manufacturer of turntables in history, the one with a product portfolio stretching over six decades and hundreds of models, the one whose name is pretty much synonymous with “the turntable company” to people above a certain age?

Crosley?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

strtj posted:

As a longtime Discogs user I know they've been having trouble on the back end for a while, taking a super hands-off approach to even basic issues with the site/database while moving more and more towards paid/shill stuff on the frontend. But this was particularly ridiculous: https://www.discogs.com/digs/gear/why-you-need-a-portable-turntable/

“Published in partnership with Victoria” yeah no poo poo

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

stealie72 posted:

If I may dust off this old gem: "There's a front page?"

Yeah, I knew things were going downhill when the front page stopped being your dashboard and started being basically a bunch of ads. I just hope that they're actually too big to fail; I don't know of any other resource that comes close in terms of having a complete, organized database.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I think it's not too far into the 'diminishing returns/snake oil' realm to say that objectively, if you're going to be a vinyl head and make that your whole thing, you might spring for something a bit more than just a workhorse tech12.

Okay, so what do you recommend?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

strtj posted:

Okay, so what do you recommend?

A microSD card with the entirety of Swan Lake on it, stuck into a CDJ2000, connected via SPDIF to a DJM900, driving a pair of Auratone 5Cs that have been left out in inclement weather for 24 hours.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Alright fine. You're right, I shouldn't be arguing in one post that vinyl is crap and denouncing a popular turntable in another. I shouldn't really give a poo poo, and you're right again, that I don't. My Techs have been tuned up by one of the best local technicians, and they run great, and they do the job I want them to (playing Tull records every few months when friends come over and drunkenly demand we listen to vinyl even though the rest of the stages in my setup are AD-DA-AD-DA for days). But literally nobody said they were dogshit. You're also right that in the spirit of this thread, they are perfectly fine. I hope they hold their value. But I think it's not too far into the 'diminishing returns/snake oil' realm to say that objectively, if you're going to be a vinyl head and make that your whole thing, you might spring for something a bit more than just a workhorse tech12.

Having said that, with the outrageous price tags on the new mk7s or whatever, I am legit curious as to how many buyers consider themselves audiophiles and how many are just really rich DJs.

I honestly don’t even know how to parse this

like, at one point you accuse me of misattributing statements but then also you attribute a bunch of things to me that I certainly never said

also, what would you consider a better TT than a 1200? What attributes does it have? How is it better?

if this:

Mister Speaker posted:

A microSD card with the entirety of Swan Lake on it, stuck into a CDJ2000, connected via SPDIF to a DJM900, driving a pair of Auratone 5Cs that have been left out in inclement weather for 24 hours.

is an attempt at trolling its not very funny

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think, to repeat myself, that he is saying records sound bad. Or at least not as good as digital.