Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even the most basic zombie or pox zombie has around 100+ HP if the meatgrinder numbers are to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

They probably ran into the mistake of assuming a much too long DoT duration. 5 damage a second over 30 seconds works out to a respectable 150 damage, but of course no enemy except for bosses will ever stay alive for nearly that long.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't see the point of the stubby on Psyker, I can already pop heads as a free default ability, why do I want to expend multiple shots of ammo for the same thing?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have a knife that does bleed on non-weak point hits (and seems to do bleed no matter what at the moment which is lmao) and I can stab an assassination boss once and he'll still be bleeding three phases later so that's likely accurate.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Bussamove posted:

Playing around in the meatgrinder all DoTs are pretty terrible right now. Flamers for example are great crowd-clearing (and carapace-armor cooking) tools thanks to their pure damage output, but the DoT from setting something on fire is… 3 a tick? Which makes the primary fire not great outside of its ability to quickly stagger things as you approach them.

Seems like something that needs a tuning pass desperately.

The dot stacks fiercely. Keep the trigger down and the dot starts ticking for 150+ per tick. Makes them one of the best beast of nurgle killing tools

Orv
May 4, 2011
Soooo I tested the knife out of curiosity. It does not currently have a finite duration on the bleed. You can stab a mauler once and a minute later he'll die of 10 damage ticks.

This is potentially extremely hilarious for bosses depending on how/if this scales at all with better weapons. The trait is Lacerate if anyone cares to keep an eye out to futz with it.

Also god the bleed decals look like they're from a goddamn PS2 game.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The force staff AOE is real fuckin good (I’ve only gotten the Trauma staff but tearing people in half with that boom boom feels great and it even has a melee attack (lovely one but good enough for one or two that slip through) and the quell speed is balls fast even at level 11

Sienna’s back bay-beeee

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
3 Vet + Psyker on a blackout mission on malice+ felt like an actual survival horror game. Popping vet ults in series to mark stuff ahead in the fog, slowly moving so you dont get crumped by corner-ragers.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Is it me or is a lot of people overestimating the kills per second capability of the Veteran wrt handling long range threats?

Every time I'm in a mission where there's at least 2 between Zealot and Ogryn, it's a tossup if their loadout can handle ranged threats, and if it's not, whenever we get hailed by a salvo of lasgun fire I'm seeing too often people preferring getting peppered rather than charging in.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Char posted:

Is it me or is a lot of people overestimating the kills per second capability of the Veteran wrt handling long range threats?

Every time I'm in a mission where there's at least 2 between Zealot and Ogryn, it's a tossup if their loadout can handle ranged threats, and if it's not, whenever we get hailed by a salvo of lasgun fire I'm seeing too often people preferring getting peppered rather than charging in.

Suppression is real and definitely works, I spend a lot of time opening up against patrols and focusing on using my ammo on enemy shooters, when you start killing models in a unit at range the rest of them slow their fire rate down. It's what veteran is best at too, the extra toughness means you're stronger trading at range with shooters than the other classes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 20, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Suppression is real and definitely works, I spend a lot of time opening up against patrols and focusing on using my ammo on enemy shooters, when you start killing models in a unit at range the rest of them slow their fire rate down. It's what veteran is best at too, the extra toughness means you're stronger trading at range with shooters than the other classes.

I need to try out other classes other than Ogryn then, it's hard to find cover sometimes :(

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Serdain posted:

The dot stacks fiercely. Keep the trigger down and the dot starts ticking for 150+ per tick. Makes them one of the best beast of nurgle killing tools
Yeah I was about to say, if you keep on flaming stuff like Maulers you can kill them real quick.

On the other hand, I've tried the flamer on the assassination boss and it seems to be terrible against him. Then again, he's highly resistant to ranged damage in general when his shield is up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah, it's surprisingly effective to just spray a long burst of fire from an autogun or autopistol in the general direction of a ranged squad to get them to break up for a bit. It's particularly valuable in the maps where you're up against the dregs, cause they sure seem to love to have gigantic groups of autogun-wielding guys around.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Got the accatran finally and for my word its like the braced autogun but way better. First lasgun where 1 ammo equals one shoot too, it doesn't have the same raw damage output as the braced autogun but it remains near pinpoint accurate at full auto, at long range, and has a huge ammo pool to compensate. It really is the closest thing we get to a hellgun.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Has anyone found a use for the pistols? I mean, specifically the laspistol and the stub revolver, they seem like pure downgrades. The stub revolver has six shots before you have to reload very slowly and the DPS on those six shots isn't even anything to write home about. Compared to a braced autogun or something it's just...pathetic?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
As excited as I am to actually have a lasgun in an fps, the suppression capabilities of autoguns on higher difficulties is real useful. I've had more runs beaten by random enemies with guns than any other enemy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pennsylvanian posted:

As excited as I am to actually have a lasgun in an fps, the suppression capabilities of autoguns on higher difficulties is real useful. I've had more runs beaten by random enemies with guns than any other enemy.

I think this is only true as a downside of the krieger lasgun, as much as I still like it. Even the base lasgun can get a statroll that shoots about as fast as you can click, then theres the carbine variant that shoots even faster than that, the accatran, etc. Lasguns get larger ammo pools too as their main benefit, an autogun will run dry way faster than a judiciously used lasgun will, even with it taking multiple uses of ammo per shot.

Honestly I prefer the accuracy because blindly using ammo in suppression is okay and all, but if you're killing people with headshots that also suppresses nearby enemies too and is a more permanent solution.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 20, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rabelais D posted:

Has anyone found a use for the pistols? I mean, specifically the laspistol and the stub revolver, they seem like pure downgrades. The stub revolver has six shots before you have to reload very slowly and the DPS on those six shots isn't even anything to write home about. Compared to a braced autogun or something it's just...pathetic?

I haven't tried the revolver yet but I would assume it's better against armoured stuff than anything rapid firing would be? Some of the chunky enemies will take more than a full clip of autogun fire so if the revolver can kill them in one clip or a headshot then that'd be a thing. If not then yeah they're pretty crap and probably need buffing.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Rabelais D posted:

I think the main (only?) thing pistols have going for them is that you can whip them out instantly and immediately start blasting, which can be quite clutch when there's a trapper approaching you while you're surrounded by zombies.

... Though the shotgun can be pulled almost as fast and is better in every single way so hm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Just did an experiment, and from the other side of the arena you can hit a mauler with every single shot at full auto, all the way through the magazine with the accatran, thats as much aim bloom as youll ever get.

Compared it to my blue rarity and even higher power level braced autogun, you're lucky to hit 3 or 4 shots out of the magazine doing that, i probably hit the enemies next to him even more, and the time to kill while doing more judicious bursts ends up being way worse than the accatrans, you only start reaching parity at the mid range and then its obviously superior up close.

Dps numbers at that ideal point blank full auto scenario are like 500 for the acctran and 700-800 for the braced, so its not like night and day either. You step back just to even the center of the arena and they reach equilibrium, both doing around 500 dps.

If they ever put in customization and let me give this thing a scope its gonna be wild.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 20, 2022

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have seen a end of mission weapon gift maybe twice, why would I ever take this? Curios are also cheaper to buy then weapons.

5% Chance after 5% chance of a reward at end of mission to find a better Curio that has a bonus that will actually help you during the mission.

Does higher difficulty missions give better rewards? The few times that I have tried a difficulty 2 mission I have gotten a weapon as a reward.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Encountering one of the rarer, but more noticeable VT pubbies, the ones that melee every loving barrel they come across.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been playing Ogryn and Zealot both about the same amount, up to level 14 or so. Ogryn as a duo with my wife who is playing Zealot and then Zealot on my own. Both are good and I'm enjoying them on Malice (level 3). I can't speak to higher levels, but I suspect people struggling with Ogryn just aren't playing aggressive enough. I frantically melee and dance, dash, and do whatever I need to do to work my way into melee range. Dodging constantly avoids a lot of ranged fire and getting into melee range really does cut down on the amount of ranged fire heading towards you and your team.

I enjoy it a lot. So far probably equally to Zealot.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 20, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sharkopath posted:

If they ever put in customization and let me give this thing a scope its gonna be wild.

If that happens you can keep your peasant physical projectiles, lasrifles will be god tier headpoppers with 600 shots

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I'm assuming Impact is another word for stagger?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

tehinternet posted:

If that happens you can keep your peasant physical projectiles, lasrifles will be god tier headpoppers with 600 shots

The Mark XII is kind of that already. As far as precise, efficient, versatile ranged weapons go it’s top tier. The flashlight is a godsend in some environments too.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turns out you can buy items you don't have the Trust for yet, you just can't equip em yet

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fishstick posted:

Turns out you can buy items you don't have the Trust for yet, you just can't equip em yet

Useful information for sure.

I actually got matched with three pubbies who were ALL talking and all Warhammer nerds and it was the best matchmaking experience I’ve had in years. I’m still kinda shocked honestly. Some of them weren’t the best players but it’s amazing what communication and coordination can do with even middling players

I wish voice was on by default when you use matchmaking. I loathe teams where nobody is talking in a *cooperative team game* — I totally understand being silent in CoD or something “competitive” but a Left 4 Dead game? You’re actively hurting yourself and your team by not communicating.

Even better would be the game tracking whether a player uses VOIP and prefer matching them with people using VOIP in game. That way everyone would be happy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

Oh that is good to know. Couple times I've seen something for sale I liked but couldn't use yet and when I went back it was gone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think out of all the enemy types in the game the mutants and plague ogyns charge attacks are my least favorite, they can turn on a dime and charge full speed through a doorway and make a abrupt turn right into you, there is a reason why in L4D2 the charger could only charge in a straight line, the mutant even has a "slam into wall and stun itself" animation like the L4D2 charger but it can easily just keep tracking.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think out of all the enemy types in the game the mutants and plague ogyns charge attacks are my least favorite, they can turn on a dime and charge full speed through a doorway and make a abrupt turn right into you, there is a reason why in L4D2 the charger could only charge in a straight line, the mutant even has a "slam into wall and stun itself" animation like the L4D2 charger but it can easily just keep tracking.

It becomes more of a problem in 3* difficulty or higher because the game will just casually throw like 2 mutants a trapper and a bomber in a constrained space at you all at the same time and the mutants just get to do the HULKAMANIA thing.

I'm thinking Fatshark may need to do a pass on the specials rate in the higher difficulties.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think you *have* to do a timed dodge to make them lose their tracking. Merely sidestepping usually isn't enough.
Also I've been trying to get the Zealot's anti-mutant achievement, but apparently the mutant's charge takes priority over the Zealot's. :shepface:

Those dogs are kinda obscene as well as far as erratic movement goes. Though at least they seem to miss you half the time even if you're standing still.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I think this is only true as a downside of the krieger lasgun, as much as I still like it. Even the base lasgun can get a statroll that shoots about as fast as you can click, then theres the carbine variant that shoots even faster than that, the accatran, etc. Lasguns get larger ammo pools too as their main benefit, an autogun will run dry way faster than a judiciously used lasgun will, even with it taking multiple uses of ammo per shot.

Honestly I prefer the accuracy because blindly using ammo in suppression is okay and all, but if you're killing people with headshots that also suppresses nearby enemies too and is a more permanent solution.

Yeah, not saying I spray and pray, just that certain lasguns haven't been helpful. I also tend to be able to do better with Autoguns when I'm suppressed.

EDIT: Noticing a lot of players treating the Pox Burster beeps like an invitation to come and melee them. Every time I get set up to ambush one, a player inevitably runs in front of my fire and gets blasted.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The plague ogryn charge is annoying but it does make me laugh whenever I successfully sidestep it and it locks onto my friend in stride and takes one of them out instead.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

explosivo posted:

The plague ogryn charge is annoying but it does make me laugh whenever I successfully sidestep it and it locks onto my friend in stride and takes one of them out instead.

You are the matador, dodge and pop head

I’ll never get tired of watching people get yeeted by the mutant

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

You know, traits like these confuse me, what's even the point.
I don't think it even stacks, since traits that do usually have that specified.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You know, traits like these confuse me, what's even the point.
I don't think it even stacks, since traits that do usually have that specified.

I was gonna say that it actually looked awesome until I realized it says when every pellet hits an enemy instead of for every pellet that hits an enemy.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

for anyone facing frequent crashes like I did, adding TdrLevel (3) and TdrDelay (5) to the registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers fixed it entirely for me. Before I had a crash every 30-40 minutes, sometimes less. Now its gone.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The breadth of weird hacks and tinkering that people say has fixed the crash and fps issues is so funny

So I took my RAM modules out, blew on them and said a quiet, calm prayer, then re arranged their order and added a registry line and now it crashes 90% less

I'm sure it works but drat :fatshark:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Al-Saqr posted:

The difficulty spike between levels 2 and 3 is really something if you’re under leveled

I'm level 14, what level would you recommend going from 2 to 3? I tried 3 at level 11 and holy poo poo did it slap my rear end, where as tier 2 missions felt like a snoozefest at times.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 20, 2022