Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
My friend on the ground for the first match -

quote:

loving hell. They've arsed it up already. Imagine match day at Wembley x 5. That's Al Bidda Park for the fan zone. Capacity; 40,000. Queue to get in hundreds long. And at a standstill. 🧐

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Starting strong.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It's like he's just taunting Morocco.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

host it in Egypt or Morocco then, they already have stadiums and a footballing culture and a population big enough to occupy more than one stadium at a time

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

five bids and counting!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1594047082444120066

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Morocco doesn't count, that's so far NW Africa it might as well be Spain.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

They tried to get in on the Spain/Portugal bid until they decided to include Ukraine for pander points. Its actually kind of funny how much international football seems devoted to kicking the Morroccans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goatface posted:

yeah but Africa begins at the Pyrenees so it still counts

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

Richard Keys has worked for Qatar's BeIN Sports for the last 9 years.

do you remember when saudi arabia bought newcastle and he wrote a big angry screed about how their human rights abuses are different and intolerable, in no way directly acting as the pissy voice of the qatari royals after being fired from being on proper tv

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I love it when these guys become hardcore Arab nationalists when you wave enough Benjamins in their faces.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
amazing the number of rich white guys coming out of the woodwork to say "well you know, Qatar have treated me well so I don't see what the problem is"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
as much as it might suck to be a fan it's still way worse to work there

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/20/sports/soccer/migrant-workers-world-cup.html?smid=url-share

quote:

Migrants hired to work at the opening match waited all day without food and water.

Instead of a day of work, the workers endured no water, no food and no toilets under the hot desert sun.

By Tariq Panja

Nov. 20, 2022, 9:34 a.m. ET

A group of more than 200 migrant laborers hired to work concession stalls at the Qatar World Cup’s opening game said they had been left without food, water and toilet facilities for seven hours while they waited for their assignments.

Standing in front of the Bedouin-tent-shaped Al Bayt stadium in Al Khor, the group were desperately trying to contact their employer without success. Several said they had been asked to report to a facility close to the arena before 10 a.m., nine hours before the game was scheduled to start.

The group, mostly made of men from India, said they had signed contracts to work at the World Cup that guaranteed one meal a day and just under $1,000 for 55 days. “It’s a very bad experience,” said one member of the group. The worker declined to give his name out of fear that it would upset his employers, but added, “Our coordinator told us to come here before 9 a.m. but no one was here.”

The group of concession workers were just a tiny part of the army of low-paid workers Qatar has hired to prepare the country to host the World Cup. The treatment of workers in Qatar and elsewhere in the Gulf has drawn much scrutiny in the yearslong buildup to the event. Human rights groups estimating several thousand migrants have died as a result of injuries, heat-related problems and other health concerns as Qatar embarked on a $200 billion reconstruction to prepare for the one-month tournament. Qatar strongly disputes that total, and notes that it has made reforms to its labor laws.

The concession workers were not the only ones left frustrated under the hot desert sun on Sunday: A group of 20 women from the Philippines, hired to sell scarves, found themselves in a similar situation: Three hours after arriving at the stadium, they had been unable to locate the company that hired them. “We’ve walked so much, this isn’t good,” said one of the women. They, too, were trying to contact representatives of their company without success.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

Morrocco Cup Pros:

African country so its a great tip of the hat to one of the most football-loving regions of the world that often isn't included in its highest levels.

Arab Country, great tip of the hat to another of the most football-loving regions of the world that is often included in its highest-level decisions

Muslim Country

Close enough to Western Europe that travel is easy and convenient for the fans of the teams most likely to dominate play and reach the finals.

Is a place said fans would enjoy vacationing anyway even without the cup

French and Spanish both widely spoken

Already has most of the infrastructure needed in place

Great and deep football tradition.

Cons:

Absolute dogshit at bribery. Just awful. Just can't convert phosphate wealth into cold hard brown envelopes. Do not give cup under any circumstances.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Jesus Christ I forgot about this thing

https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/status/1594347177245016065?t=RpEOri3blWJzWSoMriGCiQ&s=19

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I remember that back when they were trying to sell us this whole debacle, one of the selling points was that the whole country is the size of a single metropolitan area so all the stadiums would be within easy travel of one another and fans could attend multiple matches on the same day if they wanted to. I assume that, like everything else in the Qatari bid, this promise was founded on them inventing artificial clouds that would fly the fans across Doha gridlock from stadium to stadium, and once they won the bid they just forgot about it instead.

hold up. you mean to tell me that "please come by car" isnt a good solution for getting a load of people in and out of a venue quickly and frictionless?

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1594305248037928962?s=20&t=NKmQ0-0YHm0mz-Tc31eVdA

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Someone said that's the ghost of the dead migrant workers.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

boy you'd have to be a real fail-rear end and bitchmade country to just build a 60,000-seater stadium with an enormous parking lot around it instead of spending literally any money on public transport

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

boy you'd have to be a real fail-rear end and bitchmade country to just build a 60,000-seater stadium with an enormous parking lot around it instead of spending literally any money on public transport

[USA begins sweating profusely]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When you're expecting to bus in most of the crowds from contracter pens it doesn't matter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
$200b to spend on infrastructure in the 21st century, hmmm yeah think we should just chuck it all into big highways and parking lots in the middle of the desert

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
FWIW the one World Cup I went to was in Recife, Brazil and the stadium was way outside town and didn't have jack for public transit going its way

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Teach posted:

Wouldnt be wearing a ghutrah and agal if so

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the problem with public transport is you risk the guys you're paying 30p a day to drive the buses crashing and making your pristine event look bad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's why you build a driverless light rail.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Teach posted:

Qasper t_he Migrant_ Ghost_

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

im enjoying this fifa approved pride flag
https://twitter.com/LesDegommeuses/status/1593352781385142274?s=20&t=xcPwvixuvtFBtMdxKJyvDA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

drat i didnt know the Adobe-Pantone copyright problems was THAT bad people cant even use the colors on photoshop to print stuff with anymore!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So I guess the World Cup is just streaming live on Twitter?

Cool. Who needs content moderation. What's anyone gonna about it, sue?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thank you, BTS Moments mp4

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Why are the Qatari spectators so miserable isn’t this their big day

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
how many fans usually die during a world cup?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not enough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al-Saqr posted:

Why are the Qatari spectators so miserable isn’t this their big day

They have a guy to faint with excitement

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

new wager: will he attend all world cup matches before crypto dot com collapses?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It's actually rather shocking there isn't a crypto sponsor for this event since the two seem made for each other.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

whypick1 posted:

It's actually rather shocking there isn't a crypto sponsor for this event since the two seem made for each other.

crypto dot com pulled out of a 5 year deal with UEFA earlier this year

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

whypick1 posted:

Oil and natural gas are actual things with actual value. They don't bother with funny money.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

"I'm here at the dumpster out the back of this Qatari prison and it's absolute limbs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oil and natural gas are actual things with actual value. They don't bother with funny money.

Gulf states have actually been one of the biggest investors in crypto because ironically given its origins and talking points they see it as a great way to have more state control over financial transactions