Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also don't worry too much about producing science quickly. I find that I'm usually teching up much faster than I can actually build up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Darox posted:

The tutorial is kinda flawed because it puts several biter bases so close to your position without any noticeable modifiers for the pollution rate, so you'll get swarmed pretty quickly which is rude for any player and especially deadly for people who are still working out how inserters and assemblers work.

I actually felt the tutorial itself (which I guess was the demo... which I didn't play all the way through) didn't do very well representing the game. Like jumping from basic automation to a weird sort-of-walled-in area might not be a huge stretch but it was broken and I had no idea how to repair or what could be repaired. It was a weird take. Normal game just felt... normal.

The default starting points (in the real game) for biters are seriously crap, though. A few coal-powered miners will trigger them when you're still busy manually handling everything and there always seems to be a nest that spawns a short distance away. You can't kill it yet but the small raids will invariably take something down before you can run back to pistol them to death. Not really difficult (and people better than me can probably tech so fast and build so efficiently it doesn't matter) but when you're still trying to add X to Y on a belt having a few miners die every other minute is a special brand of annoying.

On the other hand turning them off leads to a whole lot of boredom for me, so YMMV.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

timbro posted:

I just picked up this game and am so late to the party. I started the tutorial and now I’m already fried trying to make enough green bottles for my labs in a way that gets my tech up quick enough and keep forgetting about biters. I was enjoying it and thought naievely that I was getting the hang of it until I read some stuff online. I now feel like I’m about 0.05% of the way through. Very excited to have another bash.

Downside is I keep wanting to rebuild my base as it gets all spaghetti and too clogged.

Rebuilding is part of the game, remember that space is infinite so you don't need to tear down your old base you can just move somewhere else
Embrace the spaghetti and post pictures of your builds
Don't spend too much time look at/for blueprints online at first, try and figure things out your own way
You need more iron/green chips than that, like a lot more, no even more
Trains are awesome and you should install the Honk mod, and Disco Science
Try and resist restarting entirely when you've figured a better way of doing things out

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My preferred setting is to go to the enemy tab and turn of the time evolution factor entirely, and often dial back the pollution factor to be low.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

M_Gargantua posted:

In my current run I've done something new: attempted to factorissimo heavily

And I hate it.

It only works if you do deliberate spaghetti from building to building.

You can put buildings inside other buildings.

Rather than a single bus-based layout, I think Factorissimo is best suited for a layout where you do a lot of pre-production on the spot. So instead of bussing circuits into your factory, bus in the raw materials and place a circuit-making factory inside the factory that's going to consume those circuits. It works well with something like Helmod, where you can plan out exactly how much each factory will consume and produce, so that you can determine exactly how much your intermediate-production factory blueprints produce and exactly how many of them you need to feed a given end-product factory.

Personally, my favorite part is that it kind of forces your production areas to be somewhat self-contained and easily blueprintable. There's no worries about getting your spaghetti intertangled or placing things too close together, because each production area has its own dedicated surface, and if your input belts are getting tangled you can move the whole factory without having to rebuild everything inside. If you come up with a better design for intermediates-production or get a better recipe, you can swap out just the factories that do that, without having to shake up the larger design.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Factorio is weird in that in any other game, you would want the enemies to murder you at least several times before you get good enough to win. I think it's because it's a pretty long game as far as these things go and starting over from scratch sucks. So most people tune biters to not ever be a threat until they want the extra challenge. That said, I always played with default biter settings and thought it was well balanced if you go in with the understanding that you have hard-coded progress checks with being able to handle evolution.

M_Gargantua posted:

My preferred setting is to go to the enemy tab and turn of the time evolution factor entirely, and often dial back the pollution factor to be low.

I do this when I do marathon mods because they never give you any useful weapons for like 50 hours.

timbro
Jul 18, 2004
So I am just- I think- finishing up the tutorial level where I built a car. Fortified with about a gas zillion torrents and built a belt that could circle the sun to auto feed them ammo.

One thing that I am finding is that I automate a load of stuff and suddenly need some basic ingredients that I can’t get because it’s all sat on belts. I wish you could just pinch stuff off belts

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Push F to grab stuff on the belts (or ground).

timbro
Jul 18, 2004

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Push F to grab stuff on the belts (or ground).

drat, thx

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I always set chests limited to a few stacks of items next to the belts so I can nab stuff, like gears or other fiddly intermediate crap I need lots of but don't want to hand craft.

I'm really really bad about going from bootstrap base to mall with all the finished goodies ready to grab. So having those gears ready is good when I need to slam out another dozen assemblers or boilers or whatever.

timbro
Jul 18, 2004
Now I’ve looked at a few things YouTube is recommending me factorio stuff.

One thing I don’t understand is these mega bases, I saw one that says they didn’t cheat but surely you run out of ore eventually?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

timbro posted:

Now I’ve looked at a few things YouTube is recommending me factorio stuff.

One thing I don’t understand is these mega bases, I saw one that says they didn’t cheat but surely you run out of ore eventually?

Mining productivity upgrades eventually scale ore patches to effectively infinite

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

timbro
Jul 18, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

Mining productivity upgrades eventually scale ore patches to effectively infinite

So that means you have to get those upgrades before you run out of ore?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The map is infinite and resource patches get larger/denser the farther you go from spawn (this also makes it better to expand in a single direction rather than uniformly in all directions).

timbro
Jul 18, 2004
Oh right! I hadn’t picked that up, I’m just out do the tutorial and on my first normal base.

Decided to go peaceful this time to get my head round the progression but think I’ll wipe this soon and start a real one.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

timbro posted:

Oh right! I hadn’t picked that up, I’m just out do the tutorial and on my first normal base.

Decided to go peaceful this time to get my head round the progression but think I’ll wipe this soon and start a real one.

A full peaceful run to rocket launch isn't a bad idea since it'll let you fiddle at your own pace and learn what to prioritize. I'm the weird guy who finds the game kind of hollow without biters, but they're a constant thing to manage and worrying about managing them while also figuring the game out would be a bit difficult.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xerol posted:

The map is infinite and resource patches get larger/denser the farther you go from spawn (this also makes it better to expand in a single direction rather than uniformly in all directions).

Yeah, on default setting starter patches will be something like 200k-500k, but if you move out 10km or something in one direction you'll find patches with 30M ore. Before mining efficiency that lasts a very long time, after a lot of mining efficiency upgrades it's practically infinite. Throughput is the challenge at that stage, not limited resources.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
While my first time was no biters, IMO set them not to expand (aka railworld settings) so they are still there and you have to clear nests as your pollution grows, but once they're gone that area is safe forever. And if you stop expanding the attacks won't get any more frequent.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I would love there to be a setting where you can start with railworld (no expansion) settings but after you launch the first rocket expansion gets turned on and starts ramping up over time, because artillery is close to useless in railworld settings until you get like 10 range upgrades.

timbro
Jul 18, 2004
So I was doing pretty well but then hit needing blue science bottles.
Having to re-do a lot of stuff to get these made at a reasonable rate !

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I feel the best way to up the challenge is play multiplayer, never talk to each other about what you are doing, don't even nesseciarly log in at the same time, but agree beforehand that you can only move things long distances via trains and not belts.

Then everything will be extremely chaotic and you will be constantly dodging badly programmed trains on chaotic train networks.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel the best way to up the challenge is play multiplayer, never talk to each other about what you are doing, don't even nesseciarly log in at the same time, but agree beforehand that you can only move things long distances via trains and not belts.

Then everything will be extremely chaotic and you will be constantly dodging badly programmed trains on chaotic train networks.

North of the starting point, we use Left-Hand train systems. South? That's Right-Hand train systems. Somewhere to the East there's a network of double-headed trains, but it operates independently. :) There are a few places where they merge, so keep your eyes peeled!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

XkyRauh posted:

North of the starting point, we use Left-Hand train systems. South? That's Right-Hand train systems. Somewhere to the East there's a network of double-headed trains, but it operates independently. :) There are a few places where they merge, so keep your eyes peeled!

This implies a level of organisation that my MP games have never reached. It's more like 'where have all the green circuits gone? What does all this stuff even do and why isn't it working?' *gets hit by a train while trying to figure out the horrible spaghetti mess*

Jokes aside though it is very good because usually stuff works so you just accept that as written and go do the next thing, or you insert arbitrary vampire taps in to bleed off specific things that you want from the system in random locations, but everyone else does that too and it all gets very weird.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Mod chemistry ftw :dumb:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Suspect A posted:

Mod chemistry ftw :dumb:

That's all?

I don't even have splitters or yellow inserters yet

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
post the mods (i assume the first is angels and the second is py)

this is nullius early game plastic (there's more below the bottom)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, it's Py. But don't worry - they decided that recipe was too good and nerfed it so it doesn't make sense to build it like that any more.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

embrace the pipe madness

growing grass

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
You want pipes ?

I've had some dumb funn code-golfing tiling Seablock designs with the goal of packing poo poo in repeatable chunk blocks

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

Somehow this system never deadlocked.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of deadlocks, can someone give me some feedback on the entrance part of this fueling stacker? The exits seem okay with each chain signal following the station component before merging, but I feel like I'm missing something on the entrance with too many signals:

Also bonus overview of the accidental megabase (in the Space Exploration mod):

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Phobeste posted:

post the mods (i assume the first is angels and the second is py)

I was doing a Nullius run, my only gripe with a ton of these types of mods is that they make automating base building materials extremely difficult. Nullius counters that i guess by giving you a +200+ personal crafting speed lol.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Less Fat Luke posted:

Speaking of deadlocks, can someone give me some feedback on the entrance part of this fueling stacker? The exits seem okay with each chain signal following the station component before merging, but I feel like I'm missing something on the entrance with too many signals:

Replace the arrowed signal with a chain signal and remove the marked ones. Should work fine.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Nice, thank you!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Make sure each individual stop is limited to 1 train as well so trains don't try to enter a lane that's already full.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yep every station is configured with the appropriate max amount; I thought I might end up using LTN but with vanilla, train limits and circuit conditions it works quite well! I'm wondering if I should re-factor my intersections to be right hand or straight passes only to ease congestion too.. decisions, decisions.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Charles 1998 posted:

I tried SE but it was too much trying to launch rockets containing the materials you need in space and building the materials needed to operate in space. I hope the official expansion that's in space streamlines that process because obviously a single mod author is probably not going to be able to create the same polish as the creators of the game. It's just too ambitious of an idea for one single dude.

My approach to this was to completely surround the rocket silo with requester chests fed by inserters which were wired to the silo, allowing them to read the cargo rocket's contents. Launch for the silo was controlled by logic conditions, which required both the loading array to be showing all of the inserters for specific products as inactive and to have received a request signal from the orbital platform. Fortunately I didn't rely on rocket deliveries for terribly long, though.

I wound up with several hundred orbital launch cargo railguns controlled by input from the orbital logic network being the actual bridge between my platform and various other surfaces, including providing flamethrower turret fuel for defenses on particularly-gnarly worlds and then shipping empty barrels back to be refilled. At least as of a few years ago it really felt like the launch cannons were the intended way to handle mass material movement from ground into orbit.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Cannons are cool but only work in-system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah I assume that's what the buildable and automatable spacecraft would wind up being for. Having posted about it so much recently is making me consider trying to just step back into that enormous multiplanetary factory and try to keep climbing the tech tree from there.

Everything except fluids and raw-material deliveries to initial processing stages is handled by bots, it should theoretically be possible to just lay out a new platform section and start building new poo poo there, without having to work out the method everything else runs on...