Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A you say?

Step 1: Play Last Stand, drawing RH.
Step 2: Play Bran and then RH to protect him.
Step 3: ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

adding disruptive spellbreaker into Odd Warrior :hmmyes:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Oenis posted:

Boo, I thought we were getting some Spell-DH support after that first reveal, but it was just a red herring, apparently.

Well, there's still the other half of their card set.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
So granted, we haven't seen all the cards yet, and granted, it's a pretty open-ended theme (so they could be seeding cards for next year after the Deathrattle and Fel packages rotate)... but it's so weird to go all-in on Outcast tribal as a theme right now. The full list of Outcast cards in Standard is as follows:

Crimson Sigil Runner
Spectral Sight
Wayward Sage
Eye Beam
Gan'arg Glaivesmith
Chaos Leech
Kurtrus Ashfallen
Vengeful Spirit

So, at best, you can destroy a few medium sized creatures and draw some cards. (And two of the new Outcast payoff cards add more cards to your hand as their "reward.") I just don't see what this deck is supposed to look like, even setting aside the question of how good it's going to be. How do you win? None of these cards are proactive in any way.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Anyone willing to let me watch them win a match for some of that sweet, sweet xp?

Bobsaget911#1771

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

That warrior legendary annoys me. No part if its flavor is making any sense, it has no connection to the class, and the effect isn't even good.

I mean yeah the sins of pirate warrior still weigh on the class but come on

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

bravesword posted:

So granted, we haven't seen all the cards yet, and granted, it's a pretty open-ended theme (so they could be seeding cards for next year after the Deathrattle and Fel packages rotate)... but it's so weird to go all-in on Outcast tribal as a theme right now. The full list of Outcast cards in Standard is as follows:

Crimson Sigil Runner
Spectral Sight
Wayward Sage
Eye Beam
Gan'arg Glaivesmith
Chaos Leech
Kurtrus Ashfallen
Vengeful Spirit

So, at best, you can destroy a few medium sized creatures and draw some cards. (And two of the new Outcast payoff cards add more cards to your hand as their "reward.") I just don't see what this deck is supposed to look like, even setting aside the question of how good it's going to be. How do you win? None of these cards are proactive in any way.

Not that it’s any good but don’t forget Razorglaive Sentinel for the pseudo outcast synergy

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

That warrior legendary annoys me. No part if its flavor is making any sense, it has no connection to the class, and the effect isn't even good.

I mean yeah the sins of pirate warrior still weigh on the class but come on

In WoW they have a skill to reflect spells. But in HS it does seem out of flavor.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

imo, they decided Warriors were going to be one of the Blood Elf-themed classes and needed to figure out a way to fit the skinny hypermagical elves into the nonmagical, big, tanky class. So, they focused on the spell-eating aspect for stuff like the taunt/rush that can't be targeted by spells and 4/5 that's a disruptive class card outside of Warlock or Rogue, and they decided to break the class themes for the sake of a big dumb cool effect with the legendary.

(It probably helps that I think the card's a lot better than a lot of you. It'd be a sideboard card if Hearthstone had those, but in a world of 40 card decks it's at minimum a three mana 3/3 that can copy a random utility spell. This sounds weird, but in the matchups where it does something it wouldn't take a lot to make me feel like it's worth it.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 19, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Spellbreaker

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chernabog posted:

In WoW they have a skill to reflect spells. But in HS it does seem out of flavor.
Okay so it's at least not completely made up. My first reaction was "people like copying their opponents stuff so uhh warrior does that too now"

Lurks With Wolves posted:

(It probably helps that I think the card's a lot better than a lot of you. It'd be a sideboard card if Hearthstone had those, but in a world of 40 card decks it's at minimum a three mana 3/3 that can copy a random utility spell. This sounds weird, but in the matchups where it does something it wouldn't take a lot to make me feel like it's worth it.)
At minimum it's actually a 3/3 in your hand without text because your opponent does not play spells that are beneficial to you, does not play many spells to begin with, or is able to play around it by following a good spell with a weak spell they held on to. Imo its floor is dire and the ceiling is mediocre outside of specific meta conditions. You're right with thinking of it as a sideboard card but going by experience I'd say that cards with fairly niche scenarios do not make the cut in hearthstone if those scenarios aren't heavy swings or outright game winning. Even in a 40 card world I just can't see it as anything other than super fringe after the first few weeks of the expansion :shrug:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I guess my thought was more just... in your average control warrior shell, either your opponent's doing something cheap and aggro and you aren't doing anything worthwhile on 3 anyway so you just drop a flat 3/3, or you're running into various control-ish decks doing stuff with spells that's at least useful enough to be worth the time. But now you mention it... Yeah, there's a big midrange middle that's not doing anything useful. Especially not when Mage and Hunter are both getting new archetypes about targeting a bunch of Arcane spells at specific enemies, and Frost DH is doing the same.

(Okay, we don't know what Arcane Hunter looks like yet, but Arcane Shot is the archetypical spell for a reason.)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

is Pure Spell DH going to be a thing? Sounds gimmicky but maybe funny to play

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I mean, the dream with Asvedon is catching Rune of the Archmage or a Jackpot spell or something, but there are a lot of random-rear end spells that would be perfectly fine stapled to a three mana 3/3 even if they aren’t a total blowout — Arcane Intellect, Thrive in the Shadows, etc. The questions are a) what deck wants this, and b) are there enough decks where this is basically blank that it becomes a liability. (The only good target versus Beast Hunter is infused Frenzied Fangs, for example, and Imp Warlock doesn’t have any good picks.) I assume targeting is random, also.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

frajaq posted:

is Pure Spell DH going to be a thing? Sounds gimmicky but maybe funny to play

With some more payoffs I can see it working. Spell Hunter was a top deck a few years ago and I can see how it could work for DH too.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm playing Relic DH right now and I could maybe see Spell DH happening, maybe you keep Jace Darkweaver in and hope you burn through your deck to draw him by turn 8?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

there's plenty of dh spells that put do nothing immediate bodies out and they all are pretty horrible off naga or scorpion so I don't see how putting this card in your deck much less building the deck around it is gonna be a thing. granted you'd be wanting to do something different with this type of deck but

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I think I just managed to trigger a game crash in Wild. The Paladin opponent played an Undatakah with the deathrattles of Immortal Prelate, Abomination and Masked Reveller, and gave it lifesteal. I had Creepy Painting in play and used a Hedge Maze to trigger a Sinrunner's deathrattle. I expected that this would have killed the Undatakah and given me a copy of it, but as soon as I selected the Sinrunner the game stopped responding and popped up a 'You were disconnected' message. It said 'Reconnected, resuming' but then 'You were disconnected' again and then crashed back to a splash screen that said my game had been disconnected from the servers and needed to restart I hadn't had any connectivity issues prior to that. Not sure if it counted as a win or a loss, but pretty crazy! I know Undatakah has been bugged in the past but this is the first time I've run into something that completely crashed the game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm playing Relic DH right now and I could maybe see Spell DH happening, maybe you keep Jace Darkweaver in and hope you burn through your deck to draw him by turn 8?

You could probably get away with Jace and maybe Denathrius along with abyssal depths to more consistently tutor them out. More than 2 minions gets dicey

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Oenis posted:

All those cards are undead that have been incidentally revealed by playing The Scourge, so we don't know yet what a Vision of Darkness is or does. But a permanent card in your hand certainly seems novel. Maybe something like a repeatable 1 or 2 mana spell: Discover a shadow spell, or gain a random shadow spell or something, if I had to guess?

Almost called it. I think at three mana it's too expensive to be great, though. I mean yeah it's infinite value but a three mana tax for each spell seems very steep.

This, however, is the power creep that will probably carry shadow priest quite a bit.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
idk if i'd call it power creep when priest had a similar conditional 1-mana 2/3 years ago. it's definitely strong though

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

kater posted:

there's plenty of dh spells that put do nothing immediate bodies out and they all are pretty horrible off naga or scorpion so I don't see how putting this card in your deck much less building the deck around it is gonna be a thing. granted you'd be wanting to do something different with this type of deck but

That's why I said it needs better payoffs and some conditional removal or something.

Lol seeing what Jace does I'm imagining how brutal a Zul'jin reprint in DH would end up playing out as an absolutely insane turn.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I guess they didn't want to push the the power level of infinite shadow discovers since radiant is in standard. You can probably still do a weak, gimmicky combo with it at 3 cost, though, which sounds like something I'd like to play

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Not that it’s any good but don’t forget Razorglaive Sentinel for the pseudo outcast synergy

Might just work as a quality card should Fel DH need more value (if the meta slows down).

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Whoa cool, earlier I ran into MarkMckz!

didn't get to play him, he instaquit to my busted spriest deck at match start =[

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Every now and then I think to myself "ah what the hell, maybe this priest deck won't be obnoxious af to play against" and every time it turns out I shoulda just bailed immediately.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well what happens if a card permanently added to your hand gets copied and stolen

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
1 mana 2/3 doesn't even move the needle anymore when everyone has 40 hp

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gotta say ultimately this has been my favorite deck of the season

### Vanndar Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Blackwater Cutlass
# 2x (1) Gone Fishin'
# 2x (1) SI:7 Extortion
# 2x (2) Double Cross
# 2x (2) Perjury
# 2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
# 2x (2) Sticky Situation
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 2x (3) Field Contact
# 2x (3) Ghastly Gravedigger
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Shroud of Concealment
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Edwin, Defias Kingpin
# 2x (4) Private Eye
# 1x (4) Scabbs Cutterbutter
# 2x (4) School Teacher
# 2x (4) Scuttlebutt Ghoul
# 1x (4) Vanndar Stormpike
# 1x (5) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (6) Crabatoa
# 1x (8) Shadowcrafter Scabbs
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAECAY7ABAqd8APtgAT7igSnjQTHsgTYtgTp0ASY1AS42QSX7wQPqOsD/u4DofQDvYAE9p8E958Et7MElrcE3NAE3NoE3doE3toE9d0Ew+ME9+0EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It’s got a little bit of everything. Disruption with the gravediggers and theotar, just a tiny bit of rng with the school teachers and perjurys, and just enough insane blowout potential that it doesn’t feel like the only way the deck can win. It feels a little bit like Control Shaman crossed with Secret Mage

Oh and obviously renathal/denathrius because at this point in the season I’m firmly in the “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” camp

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

kater posted:

Well what happens if a card permanently added to your hand gets copied and stolen

It's gone. The card text on the base minion is just descriptive. The mechanics are on the other card - doesn't go when cast.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Firebert posted:

1 mana 2/3 doesn't even move the needle anymore when everyone has 40 hp
Iirc it also didn't move the needle back on 30 hp in the form of twilight whelp

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

These two look fun enough for me to try building a shaman deck for pretty much the first time ever.

edit: and that spell is a great Jackpot hit, especially if you have a bunch of stupid poo poo in your hand from Reconnaissance and the like.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 21, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I don't know. Everything in this Big Shaman package besides the card draw feels like it's 2-3 mana too expensive. Even with Renethal, it's all just ways to get board advantage at a point where you'd want flat-out bombs.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Anyone willing to let me watch them win a match for some of that sweet, sweet xp?

Bobsaget911#1771

Anyone? Please? The last guy I tried to watch was just spamming through a "Draw X Cards" quest.

Thanks to the Rogue who helped!

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 21, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So many firebirds. These are obviously Enrage Warrior cards but I have no idea how to evaluate them.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't think 6 fire spells total are enough to support the phoenix and the champion. Also, the smithing card clashes with imbued axe.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

why do some cards feature an exclamation point anyway

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
loling at (Revives 2 times.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Chernabog posted:

I don't think 6 fire spells total are enough to support the phoenix and the champion. Also, the smithing card clashes with imbued axe.

I think it's enough to make Thori'belore work, just because getting a 4/4 with Rush that eventually comes back twice is sticky in a way that works long-term even if you don't play any Fire spells. But they're only adding four Fire spells in this set, and of the two existing Fire spells for Warrior only Forged In Flame is usable. The spells they're adding seem pretty good in a vacuum (except for the two-mana spell that summons two 1/2s with taunt, or two 2/4s at six mana), but I don't think they're enough to make Sunfury Champion work. Check on it again when they add more Fire spells, but I'm not expecting much right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The mini-set will probably add support but who knows afterwards.