Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

I'm getting serious tide FOMO but the mixed review status on the store page for this game has me thinking I should just probaby wait until the 30th.

Right?

not really

it's :fatshark: game so chances are it will get new bugs instead. Also given you have to level up all characters to gain access to things, might as well start today. Most negative reviews are for performance/technical issues and I doubt they'll fix all of those at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it an unlimited refund period prior to release?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

As my first Tide game I'm interested in playing at launch, how the gently caress did these people get away without having dedicated servers for years? Was the demand just never that high until now? Or did it suck and was that something people worked around to enjoy the game?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

haldolium posted:

that workaround just extends the timeout before the driver is force reset by windows to prevent BSoD. Has no impact on performance and is not really weird at all. Obviously it's unnecessary to have to go through but I'm always happy when small regedits fix poo poo instead of having to hope for developer made fixes to severe problems.

No thanks for sharing it, I wasn't making fun, it's just that there's tons of little tweaks being shared to try to fix stability between underclocking your GPU, turning off overlay, messing with video settings that wouldn't seem to impact performance much, regedits, etc.

Get to be a techpriest basically

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I did my penance buit didn't get a new nice vest :negative:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anyone know if the perks that give bonuses for quelled peril is only for the active quelling or also passive?

Popete posted:

Isn't it an unlimited refund period prior to release?

Usually purchase-accessed beta games still hold to the 2 hr limit, right?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 20, 2022

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
gotta love it when my team decides to not board the jet and just farm kills for a few minutes and then I get DCd before the mission ends and the reconnect fails :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Servers are a lot more solid today.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

terrorist ambulance posted:

No thanks for sharing it, I wasn't making fun, it's just that there's tons of little tweaks being shared to try to fix stability between underclocking your GPU, turning off overlay, messing with video settings that wouldn't seem to impact performance much, regedits, etc.

Get to be a techpriest basically

yeah true, thats the nature of it I guess when these things happen to so many people they start to do their own troubleshooting but it's not necessarily a fix for all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know exactly what the "Warp Charged" special ability for the Psykers force sword does?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

field balm posted:

Yeah I'm having loads of fun so far. The itemizationdefinitely feels off for early levels but hopefully the crafting will fix that and add some more playstyle customization. I'm not sure why they nerfed giving out a bunch of poo poo weapons at the end of the mission but it would make it less painful to try stuff as you level.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised the end of mission drops are so much lower; definitely should probably keep the higher rate for the first few levels so a new player can try out the different ones available then have it drop off later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm getting serious tide FOMO but the mixed review status on the store page for this game has me thinking I should just probaby wait until the 30th.

Right?

Honestly I'd wait, maybe even give it a month after launch. Kinda regretting my pre-order, but on the other hand it got me to reinstall Vermintide II which just feels like a much better game in comparison.

My main issues right now:

1) maps feel very same-y. This hopefully will change after release, but oh my god I can not take much more grey corridor. There's one part of one level where you're in a big sandy pit and that is like a breath of fresh air, and it's a loving pit of brown sand. VT has so much more visual diversity between the crypts and the cities and the jungles and the tundra etc. Plus, you know, color. I'm hoping future maps are better about this but since it takes place in a hive city I'm kind of scared it won't be.

2) item progression feels bad. Once in a while you get a freebie gift at the end of a match but for the most part it's earn cash, use that to buy something in the store. It really just feels. . . perfunctory. VT had a system where you basically got a loot box at the end of the match (and no way to buy them) but the quality was dependent on match performance. So do the main objective, do the secondary, collect some extra greebles on the map, have a little luck, and you'd get a high level random item. I dunno, it just felt like there was a lot more correlation between doing well and getting good stuff. Never thought I'd be wishing for a (again - non-paid and no way to buy more) loot box system but here we are. The version they've got in here with buying poo poo from a store that has a random assortment just really doesn't feel good.

3) The character suck and the banter between them isn't half as good as VT. I'm sure being able to create your own dude was way high on the list of what everyone wanted - especially the streamers - and I'm equally sure I"m just an old man yelling at clouds about this, but the results just aren't nearly as strong as a couple of crafted characters with strong characterization. The in-match interplay between the 4 characters in VT is really strong and consistently entertaining. Not so here.

4) balance is fucky. I think they backed themselves into a corner with letting people have an open-ended character selection. In VT you need one of each class per match. I'm sure that causes matchmaker problems, but here you can easily end up with a match of all of one type of character. The Fanatic in particular seems strong enough to have a 4 man crew be a pretty powerful meta.

5) The weapons seem same-ish and unsatisfying. So many variations on "it's an assault rifle" or "it's a knife." I'm sure the way higher end stuff gets better, I've only got one character over lvl 25 and that one is certainly getting more interesting stuff, but goddamn it's grim at the lower levels. Feels kinda bad to see a match of 4 people all shooting las rifles.

I'm not going to refund or anything, and I really hope they make it better and more interesting, but yeesh. Kinda wish I'd held off. It says something that me and the clutch of friends who are big into PvE games have come around to jus playing VT instead, which we've all got hundreds of hours in.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know exactly what the "Warp Charged" special ability for the Psykers force sword does?

charges your blade for a slower but very damaging single target strike, takes a solid chunk off boss healthbars

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Servers are a lot more solid today.

aaannndd disconnect with mission aborted due to unknown error

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

aaannndd disconnect with mission aborted due to unknown error

I had three in a row DC me right at the end with no EXP this morning.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Martout posted:

charges your blade for a slower but very damaging single target strike, takes a solid chunk off boss healthbars

Yeah, I jumped into the meatgrinder to check it out, and you can oneshot maulers if you do it and hit them with a charged heavy attack in the chest

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Fanatic in particular seems strong enough to have a 4 man crew be a pretty powerful meta.

I just had a random pub group with 4 Zealots and it was quite smooth.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah it can't, but what else has carapace armor besides mauler heads which you wouldnt shoot anyways, and ogryns?

BTW, I find the "plink" sound and sparks can be misleading on crushers. Go test in the psykanium; sometimes a "plink" is like 1% damage and you're wasting time, or sometimes it's 50% and you're basically fine.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
man the mission where you have to scan a bunch of things looking for a new plague mutation just seems like a harder mission than a lot of the others because people spread out like mad to look for them, no extra hounds condition in effect but we seemed to get just a shitload of hounds on that one :( AI director sure knows how to punish spread out groups!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Martout posted:

man the mission where you have to scan a bunch of things looking for a new plague mutation just seems like a harder mission than a lot of the others because people spread out like mad to look for them, no extra hounds condition in effect but we seemed to get just a shitload of hounds on that one :( AI director sure knows how to punish spread out groups!

If it's not everyone scattering to the winds to scan, it's having a whole group that doesn't seem to know how to scan and just chases hordes all over the place. Every single time I get one of those maps I just hop up in chat and say "I'll be the scanner, just cover me." Or, if I'm playing a duo with a friend or something, designate him scanner because I kinda don't like scanning.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

Right?

The review scores so far to me actually seem to be...

Pretty nice, so far :v:

Seriously though,

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I'd wait, maybe even give it a month after launch. Kinda regretting my pre-order, but on the other hand it got me to reinstall Vermintide II which just feels like a much better game in comparison.

1) maps feel very same-y. This hopefully will change after release, but oh my god I can not take much more grey corridor. There's one part of one level where you're in a big sandy pit and that is like a breath of fresh air, and it's a loving pit of brown sand. VT has so much more visual diversity between the crypts and the cities and the jungles and the tundra etc. Plus, you know, color. I'm hoping future maps are better about this but since it takes place in a hive city I'm kind of scared it won't be.

2) item progression feels bad. Once in a while you get a freebie gift at the end of a match but for the most part it's earn cash, use that to buy something in the store. It really just feels. . . perfunctory. VT had a system where you basically got a loot box at the end of the match (and no way to buy them) but the quality was dependent on match performance. So do the main objective, do the secondary, collect some extra greebles on the map, have a little luck, and you'd get a high level random item. I dunno, it just felt like there was a lot more correlation between doing well and getting good stuff. Never thought I'd be wishing for a (again - non-paid and no way to buy more) loot box system but here we are. The version they've got in here with buying poo poo from a store that has a random assortment just really doesn't feel good.

3) The character suck and the banter between them isn't half as good as VT. I'm sure being able to create your own dude was way high on the list of what everyone wanted - especially the streamers - and I'm equally sure I"m just an old man yelling at clouds about this, but the results just aren't nearly as strong as a couple of crafted characters with strong characterization. The in-match interplay between the 4 characters in VT is really strong and consistently entertaining. Not so here.

4) balance is fucky. I think they backed themselves into a corner with letting people have an open-ended character selection. In VT you need one of each class per match. I'm sure that causes matchmaker problems, but here you can easily end up with a match of all of one type of character. The Fanatic in particular seems strong enough to have a 4 man crew be a pretty powerful meta.

5) The weapons seem same-ish and unsatisfying. So many variations on "it's an assault rifle" or "it's a knife." I'm sure the way higher end stuff gets better, I've only got one character over lvl 25 and that one is certainly getting more interesting stuff, but goddamn it's grim at the lower levels. Feels kinda bad to see a match of 4 people all shooting las rifles.

I'm not going to refund or anything, and I really hope they make it better and more interesting, but yeesh. Kinda wish I'd held off. It says something that me and the clutch of friends who are big into PvE games have come around to jus playing VT instead, which we've all got hundreds of hours in.

Not that most of this isn't valid, but apparently, they are rolling out more maps and features by the end of the beta, so hopefully that smooths things out a bit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like there’s been an uptick in multi spawn poxbursters since the beta/early pre-order period. Triple ones are both extremely funny and scary.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

So far I think its cooler than vt2 was at the end, I really like how much harder it is, the pace of the hyrbid combat, how much cooperation you have during missions during events, the larger amount of threats and how they necessitate new ways of play, the variety of weapons available and how different they feel, I think the classes have more defined roles that are also better designed, and even though they arent as defined characters as the vt2 cast I find myself laughing a bunch of times during missions because they do still have plenty of funny banter.

This games definitely gonna end up better as they keep adding stuff.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 20, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

BTW, I find the "plink" sound and sparks can be misleading on crushers. Go test in the psykanium; sometimes a "plink" is like 1% damage and you're wasting time, or sometimes it's 50% and you're basically fine.

That's a crit, you can crit through armor still.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

The review scores so far to me actually seem to be...

Pretty nice, so far :v:

Seriously though,

Not that most of this isn't valid, but apparently, they are rolling out more maps and features by the end of the beta, so hopefully that smooths things out a bit.

Okay, a bit of a mae culpa; I went to the beta announcement and here is what they said:

quote:

WEEK ONE (November 17 - 20)
Full access to the game hub and mission board.
4 changing missions across 4 zones
We will regularly run in-game events (Conditions), namely Power Supply Interruption and Ventilation Purge. We don’t want to spoil them too much. We encourage you to experience them for yourself :)

WEEK TWO (November 21 - 27)
Up to 8 changing missions across 4 zones
In-Game Events, other surprise additions we do not want to spoil right now

WEEK 3 (November 28 to 30)
Up to 10 changing missions across 4 zones
Downtime to get the game ready for wide release: Tuesday Nov 29, 202219:00 UTC

NOVEMBER 30 (LAUNCH)
13 missions across 5 zones
1 New Zone (We do not want to share its name yet)
New Conditions (In-Game Events)

So it seems to be more conditions and missions going at the same time, with one new zone being added at launch.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That zone is likely the Throneside we’ve seen concept art of, occasionally the PA broadcasts in the Mourningstar mention it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

That zone is likely the Throneside we’ve seen concept art of, occasionally the PA broadcasts in the Mourningstar mention it.

Throneside also has a section of the soundtrack dedicated to it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Throneside also has a section of the soundtrack dedicated to it.

Look Mx. I Read Song Names.

That’s much more compelling evidence, yes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Power Sword also seems like a straight upgrade from the chainsword, losing the ability to stunlock in favor of multiple massive armor piercing cleaves per charge.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Power Sword also seems like a straight upgrade from the chainsword, losing the ability to stunlock in favor of multiple massive armor piercing cleaves per charge.

That’s been my experience at least. I also tried the chain axe and while it’s very satisfying the fact that it bites in on a basic light attack can get you into a lot of trouble with groups of tankier enemies like the armored scab melee guys. Takes just a second too long of locked in animation as other people swing at you. Heavy attack gets rid of this but seems to do weirdly bad damage.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I think people comparing this game to Vermintide 2 (At least mechanically) are sort of glossing over the fact that Vermintide 2 had years to get there. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing that, but a lot of the public reviews and sentiment I'm reading seems to be on lack of variety.

I did really enjoy the Winds of Magic and Chaos Wastes DLC that they did for Vermintide 2 and kinda sorta hope they do something similar for Darktide, but I know I may be in a minority here.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CuddleCryptid posted:

Usually purchase-accessed beta games still hold to the 2 hr limit, right?

iirc anything that's considered a beta or prerelease doesn't count to the 2 hour time limit. But also their last hotfix post had

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

That's a crit, you can crit through armor still.

I'm not talking about crits. I'm talking about consistent, reasonable-if-lower damage on crushers.

Let me give some examples, from 5* psykanium with my own (level 29) ogryn and some random 360-370-ish weapons.

This light melee hit did a "plink" and tossed blue sparks. It's totally ineffective. (For comparison, a heavy attack does 330-340.) Trying to kill this crusher with light melee hits with this weapon will take several minutes.

The heavy stubber also "plinks" and tosses blue sparks. It looks and sounds like you're doing poo poo for damage when shooting it.

However, a three-shot burst from the heavy stubber does 84 damage, without any yellow numbers (crits) or orange numbers (headshots I think?). This is suboptimal but workable; it comes out to a consistent 225ish DPS when focusing fire, enough to kill this 5* crusher in one magazine, and actually better than the 200ish DPS from spamming heavy melee attacks with that comparable-level shovel. The damage-over-time obviously includes some crits and headshots, but even the white damage was real damage. The heavy stubber is actually one of the best weapons I own for killing crushers!

Go ahead and test weapons in the psykanium rather than strictly relying on the visual and auditory feedback. I think you'll be surprised at how some automatic weapons perform. Granted, it's perfectly possible that the autoguns suck rear end on crushers, but it's worth actually testing.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 20, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kaldaris posted:

I think people comparing this game to Vermintide 2 (At least mechanically) are sort of glossing over the fact that Vermintide 2 had years to get there. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing that, but a lot of the public reviews and sentiment I'm reading seems to be on lack of variety.

I did really enjoy the Winds of Magic and Chaos Wastes DLC that they did for Vermintide 2 and kinda sorta hope they do something similar for Darktide, but I know I may be in a minority here.

I've spent the last couple of weeks playing VT2 again and while the colour variety is very nice, it is still running through corridors at night a lot and you get used to every map quickly.

What is different is that the map set-pieces are still exciting and something you enjoy anticipating, whereas not so much with this game

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kaldaris posted:

Nah, I'm enjoying Darktide but Vermintide 2 had more variety in the initial release than you're giving it credit for I think, with the subclasses that you could switch between to change up playstyle a little without starting entirely over and then what felt like more level variety with the ones set in towns, castles, jungle ruins, forests, fields and farmlands, etc. Obviously they're adding more of the latter over the course of this early access thing so that may prove to be true in Darktide as well but people are reviewing/giving their opinion on what's available now which is fair enough imo.

As it is, they are asking the same price they charged for Vermintide 2 so I think comparing it to that at release is definitely fair enough and to be honest, it's a semi sequel, they should have at least as much if not more in the followup really right?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Okay, I got my biggest performance boost yet by turning the amount of Worker Threads down to 8. It's an option that you can only change for the Darktide launcher when you first open the game. I no longer have stuttering or large drops of any kind.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What does the Special shotgun shell do?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What does the Special shotgun shell do?

Either shoots all the pellets in a horizontal line or nothing, as far as I can tell.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Okay, I got my biggest performance boost yet by turning the amount of Worker Threads down to 8. It's an option that you can only change for the Darktide launcher when you first open the game. I no longer have stuttering or large drops of any kind.

What cpu do you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What cpu do you have

Ryzen 7 2700. The setting was defaulted to 15. I admit I don't know what worker threads are and I don't know anything about CPUs, but this was the most substantial gain of any of the tweaks I've found.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2022