Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

They were freakin' awesome and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them, but don't tell me what I should or should not find embarrassing in a franchise that also features a racist cartoon stepping in poop.

edit: loving page snipe. I Luthen to be a washed out jedi. Not a sith, not a jedi, just a failed padawan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soonmot posted:

edit: loving page snipe. I Luthen to be a washed out jedi. Not a sith, not a jedi, just a failed padawan.

going to laugh when Luthen turns out to be like Petro from Clone Wars

And also, I love the idea of the Mod kids, but like most things in Boba Fett that wasn't the Tusken Raiders/Mando S2.5 stuff, it was handled and executed like absolute poo poo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

zoux posted:

Boba Fett was just wildly inconsistent, turning him into a balls-out, zero-complications good guy made no sense and was absolutely not what the audience wanted to see out of a Boba Fett series. I didn't think Obi Wan was that bad, I really liked the stuff involving just Obi wan and Vader.

This actually would have been good if they'd bothered to commit. If they'd pulled a Black Sails and had Boba Fett take over Mos Espa at the head of a joint Tusken Raider anti-colonial rebellion and an alliance of criminals. The worst mistake of BoBF was killing off the Tuskens for cheap pathos.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
tony gilroy in interviews has casually mentioned the kind of difficulties luthen has to overcome in pulling together disparate groups, so i think luthen getting got is out of the question

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soonmot posted:

He's a clone of Plagueis, the entire rebellion was just part of a complicated revenge plot against sheev

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dexo posted:

And also, I love the idea of the Mod kids, but like most things in Boba Fett that wasn't the Tusken Raiders/Mando S2.5 stuff, it was handled and executed like absolute poo poo.

The idea of street punks who entwine their identities with investing in and maintaining fancy bikes is an interesting one, but they were just so out of place in Tatooine. The bike designs didn't make sense in the context of Star Wars, and the outfits all looked like bad cosplay. Not to mention that dumb-as-hell little spin the guy did before firing his blaster, and the god-awful chase scene that was only outdone by the sheer incompetence of the foot chases in Obi-Wan. Star Wars has always been pulpy space opera action, but then there's... whatever the gently caress Robert Rodriguez slapped together for BoBF

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Remember when she was sort of interesting and were trying to figure put what angle she was working, what they'd do to develop her character, when we'd find out more, how she fit into everything and it turns out the answer was "well bad guys come and blow her up?"

https://twitter.com/Katankryze2477/status/1594078251604901889?s=20&t=Surivy3eP-qsLutkSwsMxw

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

404notfound posted:

The idea of street punks who entwine their identities with investing in and maintaining fancy bikes is an interesting one, but they were just so out of place in Tatooine. The bike designs didn't make sense in the context of Star Wars, and the outfits all looked like bad cosplay. Not to mention that dumb-as-hell little spin the guy did before firing his blaster, and the god-awful chase scene that was only outdone by the sheer incompetence of the foot chases in Obi-Wan. Star Wars has always been pulpy space opera action, but then there's... whatever the gently caress Robert Rodriguez slapped together for BoBF

Cutting out your bike designs bit below, but everything else I agree with. In the end they sucked. I think a lot of the suckyness of Boba comes down to execution and the fact that it was plotted like horseshit and the characterizations weren't right. Everything you list as a negative actually works, logically, with the kind of counter culture they were cribbed from. Young punks rebelling against the tatooine aesthetic makes perfect sense. There is just so much more they could have done to show what these people were about that they didn't end up doing and so ultimately they failed.

Like you give the Andor crew the same concept and even the same bike designs and I bet it is executed just 100x more brilliantly and lands. Whatever the gently caress was going on with Rodriguez and COVID and LFL during filming will remain a mystery.

404notfound posted:

The bike designs didn't make sense in the context of Star Wars

This bit is just untrue and I fully disagree with it!!

Jerkface posted:

I'm home now so I can properly go back over these scooters. Anyone saying the scooters in BOBF are not "star wars" is almost 100% complaining about the metallic color finish on them. They have classic star wars speeder bike elements every where else.

Endor bike

Dooku's Bike

Enfys Nest Bike

Kintan Strider Swoop

Space Vespa

There is nothing that says you can't have smooth body components on a bike, most of them have them! The difference between them is how much is smooth vs what greebles or engine parts are revealed. Imagine if Dooku's bike was metallic chrome, it has virtually no "greeble" bits.

The endor bikes are actually very smooth overall, though with distinct paneling pieces and the exposed under engine area. The very thin "legs"/"footholds" give them a great sci-fi look with the classic prow.

Enfys Nest and the Kintan Strider bikes are very greebly. The Kintan Strider high back seats are similar to Japanese biker gang seats, but the huge exposed engines and high handle bars are more reminiscent of american roadsters. Enfys' bike also calls back to Japanese biker gang flag poles, but the bike itself reminds me of a kite/sail almost, with the way the prow frames fan out and the look of "wires" holding everything together. Its insanely greebly.

The Vespas have strong panels on either side of the seat area and the classic exposed engine on the back rear. The key difference between these and the others is almost purely the chrome look! It makes the paneling look like "1 piece", which the designs break up with some inlaid paneling on the front of the bikes. Then you have the sweet chrome grills with all the lights + modded mirrors. The upper handle bar area for each bike is also fairly "greebly" and also showcases different bar mods. Each bike is the same "model" but unique in how its modded.

Its actually pretty sweet. I bet if someone photoshopped the vespas to be "matte" beige, they would not look out of place. In fact, I think they'd look closer to the OT aesthetic than Dooku's bike. Its the chrome that is making everyone crazy, but its actually sick AF. Given the same production team designed the Kintan strider bikes, which are very OT - they clearly know what is star wars aesthetic. Thus I must declare the space vespas Star Wars™

The one two punch of Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan will always be just a crazy weird run of very bad star wars. Its just inexplicable!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

404notfound posted:

I disagree there, Tatooine is like the perfect spot for that subculture to pop up. Bunch of Kids modifying themselves and bringing some color to a planet of dirty broken down things, is theoretically a cool story.

Most of the problem is still in just how bad the like general lighting and cinematography was in Boba Fett. That did them absolutely no favors.

Like Boba Fett's armor looked like poo poo and that is something that we know is supposed to work well there.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

zoux posted:

God I hope not. Not just because I love Skarsgard and would hate to lose another season of him, but I don't think Mon Mothma is at a place where she could credibly assume the lead of the rebellion. Plus, the pay off of her story is going to relate to her family, and she's probably going to cross some rubicon that binds her irrevocably to her path

I could be down for a season of internal power struggle for control (both ideologically and materially) of the Rebellion, ending with Mothma leading the "main" rebel coalition and Saw and others eventually being excommunicated (leading to his marginalization/death in Rogue One). Mothma playing financial hardball with the more extreme factions would be fun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The bikes literally look like bumper cars from the old days.

They looked like something from an entirely different universe.

E: and just as slow 😅

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The people of Tatooine don’t make aesthetic fashion choices. They’re literally dirt poor lol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I dunno, the Lars homestead, seemingly everyday farmers, could afford to buy a few slaves, had at least two cars, and their kid even had a racing aircraft.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The mods would have worked literally anywhere else, but these smart and clean looking kids who have bright and immaculate candy painted bikes somehow also couldn't afford water...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

CubanMissile posted:

The people of Tatooine don’t make aesthetic fashion choices. They’re literally dirt poor lol.

lol. Being dirt poor in industrial society is literally the basis for the emergence of subcultures.

Parkingtigers posted:

The mods would have worked literally anywhere else, but these smart and clean looking kids who have bright and immaculate candy painted bikes somehow also couldn't afford water...

What do you think they were using the water for? How do they keep their scooters so clean?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 20, 2022

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

lol. Being dirt poor in industrial society is literally the basis for the emergence of subcultures.

Tatooine isn’t quite LA.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I dunno, the Lars homestead, seemingly everyday farmers, could afford to buy a few slaves, had at least two cars, and their kid even had a racing aircraft.

Yeah, and the relatively well off yeoman farmer's car had faded rear end paint cuz that's what happens to paint in the desert, very quickly. The pastel scooter gang could not be anything other than bored rich kids.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

CubanMissile posted:

Tatooine isn’t quite LA.

It doesn't need to be LA, you still see emergent youth subcultures in places like Botswana.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Fair enough, but everything that got translated to the screen was still cringe as hell in my opinion.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Posts bashing production design and plot holes pop up when the writing, acting, and directing aren't enough to cover for them. BoBF tried a wild strategy of building up to an Avengers-style showdown finale with a show that was 25% flashback and 25% a different show, leaving almost no time to establish any meaningful connections with a bunch of characters you're supposed to root for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The mod squad are a good concept but they needed to either be background characters or to have actual development and personalities. You only have to look at Chief Inspector Hyne or Syril's mum or the imperials on Aldhani or Brasso to see that Andor's done a stellar job of characterising minor characters in a short amount of screen time, and the mods needed to have that level of care or to be something like the bell ringer.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Azhais posted:

He's a clone of Plagueis, the entire rebellion was just part of a complicated revenge plot against sheev

Plagueis wasn’t human, he was a Muun, so that would just raise further questions!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's no Muun

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
the mod squad should have been sold as cringe instead of cool, the same way "we" would cringe at a 'white trash' subculture of monster energy drink, fox clothing, and eminem

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It doesn't need to be LA, you still see emergent youth subcultures in places like Botswana.

All these people could be on BoBF and would fit in.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vintersorg posted:

All these people could be on BoBF and would fit in.

No, they'd stand out too much for being actually badass.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder what Jeans Guy is up to

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Parkingtigers posted:

No, they'd stand out too much for being actually badass.

lmao You’re right.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember when she was sort of interesting and were trying to figure put what angle she was working, what they'd do to develop her character, when we'd find out more, how she fit into everything and it turns out the answer was "well bad guys come and blow her up?"

https://twitter.com/Katankryze2477/status/1594078251604901889?s=20&t=Surivy3eP-qsLutkSwsMxw

all that buildup for a Untouchables gag, smh

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Another bummer about BoBF is that the mod leader was played by Sophie Thatcher, who previously starred alongside Pedro Pascal in the movie Prospect, which is much better than that series.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Prospect is a great movie and absolutely insane given the budget

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Are they going to swap Maarva's brick for a brick of C4 and put that in the wall of the hotel?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thank you all for reminding me about the interminable droid factory sequence, can't believe i forgot about that

so droids aren't truly sentient, they're just programmed to seem that way?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

my cat is norris posted:

thank you all for reminding me about the interminable droid factory sequence, can't believe i forgot about that

so droids aren't truly sentient, they're just programmed to seem that way?

The general canon seems to be that they start out being basically interchangeable tools with a
stimulated personality to make it easier to work with them, and if they don't get their memories wiped they develop more elaborate and complex sapience over time.

So some droids are fully sapient people and others are basically roombas with a Siri interface and some basic machine learning.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Droids are the product of their trauma, just like humans!

Hakuna robota.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also ofc it massively varies depending on the author

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They're either sentient or capable of convincing others and themselves that they are. At the start of the first movie, C3PO and R2D2 argue with each other when nobody is around to hear them, and then C3PO mutters angrily to himself when he's alone. So if they're pretending to be sentient they're doing it for nobody's benefit.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Left to their own devices long enough, they eventually develop their own religion and proselytize.

Gonk. Gonk. Gonk ko kyenga see.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CubanMissile posted:

Fair enough, but everything that got translated to the screen was still cringe as hell in my opinion.
Can you explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I cannot wait for the Fondor to get a LEGO set. I won't be able to afford it but at least I can admire it from afar. Might even get a UCS if the show is popular enough, seeing as how Cassian doesn't have a vessel of his own.