Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Failed Imagineer posted:

So far tournament is looking extremely fake and not gay

gay is possibly allowed in the fan zones but not in the stadiums (excluding hospitality boxes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Oh lol sorry no that's FLJ, assume posts are steeped in hyperbole at all times

every day I wake up and have at least a hundred messages from the mods complaining that I embellish all my poo poo for the sake of a punchline

might as well just drown myself

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Al-Saqr posted:

Nothing wrong with trying new things

horrifying poster/post combo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How poo poo must the rest of Doha be if everyone's so desperate to get into the shipping container tent shithole for a can of bud

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How poo poo must the rest of Doha be if everyone's so desperate to get into the shipping container tent shithole for a can of bud

Looking on booking.com you can get a hotel room for like a hundred quid, where you can presumably also drink, these people are dumb as gently caress

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I gotta say, I did not see this attempt at sportswashing ending with Qatar just telling all of the fans to go gently caress themselves and sticking them in refugee camps.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking on booking.com you can get a hotel room for like a hundred quid, where you can presumably also drink, these people are dumb as gently caress

To be fair to them, I’m guessing they reserved these accommodations based on the bill of goods they were sold. Not really their fault that after 12 years and $200b spent, the best Qatar could muster was a storage container prison camp.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

To be fair to them, I’m guessing they reserved these accommodations based on the bill of goods they were sold. Not really their fault that after 12 years and $200b spent, the best Qatar could muster was a storage container prison camp.

They also thought so many people would come that the hotels would be utterly stuffed with people.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I think the big issue is also that gulf states are incredibly loving boring places that don’t offer any real value of flying 5,000 miles to go to if you’re not a scam artist consultant, a literal criminal or underworld type, a military contractor, or a migrant worker who needs to survive and make a living. Like there’s no real value proposition to be had in going to qatar to spend four weeks there or frankly any of the other surrounding countries in terms of being a tourist who wants to have fun.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Welcome to the FIFA Fan Gulag

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Well, ok, but they can still just leave and go to a hotel and cut their losses. Not a huge amount of sympathy for anyone who traveled there tbh

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5--imN5Us

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lol that's these two right

https://twitter.com/StoolFootball/s...pagenumber%3D16

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Arivia posted:

it's an animated jizz rag

The mascot is clearly a loving tribute to the bedsheets used to cover arrested corrupt FIFA execs on their way out of that Swiss hotel

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

webmeister posted:

The mascot is clearly a loving tribute to the bedsheets used to cover arrested corrupt FIFA execs on their way out of that Swiss hotel

Thank you, I had forgotten about that lol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Another broken promise — Jewish prayer spaces are now banned and kosher food can no longer be sold

Qatar won't allow any cooked Kosher food and public Jewish prayer https://jpost.com/international/article-722891

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Incredible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone try so hard to get as much bad PR as possible since Elon musk a couple hours ago.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Infantino knows how discrimination feels, being pre-emptively banned from the most troll-free football forum on the web

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Infantino: “it’s okay Jews. I too am gay”

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The next hosts already brainstorming slogans to emphasise how welcoming they are compared to Qatar: "Everybody gets to CUM," "CUM together," etc

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sad that the last real world cup any of us will ever have experienced is 2018. This winter bullshit on half empty stadiums is not the same. And all CUM aside, the 48 team format is just the stupidest decision in the list of stupid decisions FIFA has taken. Hey, let's make stuff like Spain V Netherlands or Argentina V Croatia impossible, and have a lot more Panama vs Tunisia instead.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive me for the rant/ hot take:

But I think this Qatari World Cup is going to increase Islamaphobia in your "Western Liberal" style countries.

Look at the way that Qatar is shouting "We are Muslim", "This is a Muslim country", "This is the way things are done by Muslims in Muslim countries" "You filthy heathen white people just dont understand coz you are different.". And then all the stories are on the deaths of the indentured slavesmigrant workers, the oppression, the repression, (both political and otherwise), the bigotry, discrimination and violence against LGBTQ, and women etc.

This leads for a lot of very easy 'Islamists are backwards brutish evil fuckwits' style articles by the right wing press and similar more judiciously worded ones, (but with the same message), by the 'Liberal' press. And it will gain legitimacy because Qatar itself is saying "All of this is happening this way BECAUSE we are a Muslim country etc. This is how we do things."

Bullshit. The Qataris are doing and have done some evil horrible poo poo, both in real life and in the context of bribing and organizing this World Cup. This is because they are arsehole authoritarian rich fundie fuckwits, (amongst other things), not because they are Muslim. But because these arseholes are hand waving away all their fuckery and human rights abuses etc. on "We are a Muslim country, you in the godless West wouldn't understand", then a lot of the focus is going to be on how Qatar, a Muslim country, handle things.

It's just another awful thing about this whole loving awful situation. Oh, and to be clear, I am not saying anyone here has indulged in the sort of casual Islamaphobia I am talking about. But I can still see it becoming a thing out in the world.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

joepinetree posted:

Sad that the last real world cup any of us will ever have experienced is 2018. This winter bullshit on half empty stadiums is not the same. And all CUM aside, the 48 team format is just the stupidest decision in the list of stupid decisions FIFA has taken. Hey, let's make stuff like Spain V Netherlands or Argentina V Croatia impossible, and have a lot more Panama vs Tunisia instead.

What, you're not excited for group M: Uzbekistan/El Salvador/Tahiti?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'm excited for a Vanuatu/Surinam/Equitorial Guinea/Kyrgyzstan group

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

too exciting, better remove one of those countries

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

You'll never get elected Fifa president if you don't even know how the CUM cup will work

vyelkin posted:

too exciting, better remove one of those countries

:hmmyes:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Tonight, all the world's eyes turn to our marquee match up of the first round, Mali vs Honduras.

Best part is that Canada, Mexico and the US are all guaranteed Pot 1 slots. Which means 3 of the 16 groups will have one of those three, one team from the equivalent of current pots 3/4 combined, and a team that didn't even qualify for this year on the newly formed pot 3.

Which means that a "USA/Tunisia/Oman" type group isn't just a certainty, but we'll get 3 of them.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The next hosts already brainstorming slogans to emphasise how welcoming they are compared to Qatar: "Everybody gets to CUM," "CUM together," etc

I've got some bad news for you about the cultural direction the United States government is headed in after 2024...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

it's been done

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Looking forwards to the lessons learned and applied in the inevitable 2030 World Cup hosted in Saudi Arabia

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just thinking how this World Cup could have been a fun summer in the US or Japan makes me fume. Such a missed opportunity for football amid the pandemic.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

joepinetree posted:

yeah it sucks. UEFA has hosed the euro too.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

joepinetree posted:

The 16 groups of three thing is especially terrible. 12x4 would at least present the possibility of some interesting matches in the first phase.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
it really sucks how international football is fully controlled by rich cunts in suits whose only possible thought is to how to make themselves and their sponsors more money, forever

are there any fans who think a bigger world cup is better, or loves the endless expansion of the champions league

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Butterfly Valley posted:

it really sucks how international football is fully controlled by rich cunts in suits whose only possible thought is to how to make themselves and their sponsors more money, forever

are there any fans who think a bigger world cup is better, or loves the endless expansion of the champions league

Fans of Peru and Australia are probably stoked about not having to go through an inter-confederation playoff for the third cycle in a row.

And now New Zealand is basically guaranteed a slot forever, so they might be into it.

The group stage is going to be dreadful, though.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Its kinda incredible how much Qatar had all these deals and promises that they invested so much money in for PR... and now its stopped supporting them just as the world cup starts. The international media is focused directly on the country and they are letting the event become a rolling PR disaster as something bad will probably happen every day of the WC.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sylvian Wastes posted:

Its kinda incredible how much Qatar had all these deals and promises that they invested so much money in for PR... and now its stopped supporting them just as the world cup starts. The international media is focused directly on the country and they are letting the event become a rolling PR disaster as something bad will probably happen every day of the WC.

Eh, it's not something that is happening to them as much as it is something that they are doing.

I don't think it was ever about PR. I don't think a single one of the rich fucks cares too much about what the NY Times is printing about them. And if they did they could have just done what they said they would do. Let some team captain wear a rainbow flag, let people drink some beer in the stadium that even without all the infrastructure they promised the media can spin this as a transformative event. But that means that maybe one of their indentured servants might have a bit of fun.

For me, the WC was always about the rich Qataris wanting to party in some expensive VIP suite with a David Beckham and some models. And once that was secured, they could just not give a gently caress anymore.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Mustard Iceman posted:

Fans of Peru and Australia are probably stoked about not having to go through an inter-confederation playoff for the third cycle in a row.

And now New Zealand is basically guaranteed a slot forever, so they might be into it.

The group stage is going to be dreadful, though.

I'm Peruvian. We don't give a gently caress. Nobody wants to see more trash teams at the WC. gently caress FIFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

Eh, it's not something that is happening to them as much as it is something that they are doing.

I don't think it was ever about PR. I don't think a single one of the rich fucks cares too much about what the NY Times is printing about them. And if they did they could have just done what they said they would do. Let some team captain wear a rainbow flag, let people drink some beer in the stadium that even without all the infrastructure they promised the media can spin this as a transformative event. But that means that maybe one of their indentured servants might have a bit of fun.

For me, the WC was always about the rich Qataris wanting to party in some expensive VIP suite with a David Beckham and some models. And once that was secured, they could just not give a gently caress anymore.

You're right on. Seems like every week now, we get a different iteration of detached, feckless billionaires going "gently caress you and gently caress the person behind you too" to the rest of the world.