Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I would guess it's more like they are going to try to monetize proxies for themselves.

I mean that's what M30 was, but yeah I suppose it's possible they'd lean into more "official proxy" products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LGD posted:

I mean that's what M30 was, but yeah I suppose it's possible they'd lean into more "official proxy" products

I totally foresee like gold bolder editions of cards coming out. Oh these are for playtest, not for official play, and since commander is the most popular format and doesn't have official play, it lets them skirt a lot of issues and still make money off of proxies.

I better put in a big order at MPC.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Even if they take down all the proxy-making tools at least we can always print out MTG Goldfish text proxies, plus there other sites that can get you ones with the art. I don't think there's anything they can do to stop people from playing the game for basically free.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Saw pics of some dude who made his own magic cards in some lovely for-profit-only prison in texas. used toothpaste to "glue" them to playing cards. just wrote rules he could remember onto paper scraps.

theoretically you could just playing magic without any cards, but mental-shuffling seems rife for questionable draws.

End of the day Wizards needs Magic Players more than Magic players need them. If Wizards went out of business tomorrow... there'd be new fan created set continuing the latest unresolved story, probably a kickstarter to get a print run going within the month. There are totally obscure TCG that still get new sets by fanatics decades later, if Wizards went away a game as old and popular as Magic would instantly have so many people all over it working to forge news sets and standards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

pseudanonymous posted:

I totally foresee like gold bolder editions of cards coming out. Oh these are for playtest, not for official play, and since commander is the most popular format and doesn't have official play, it lets them skirt a lot of issues and still make money off of proxies.

I better put in a big order at MPC.

It'd be nice to be able to copy all the images in one of the Google Drives that mpcfill uses.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress. May need to do an MPC order sooner than later.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
November 17, 2022, 12:00 pm
Shipping Partner: DHL ECOMMERCE

BRING ME MY DAMNED PROXIES, SKREEEEEE!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Framboise posted:

gently caress. May need to do an MPC order sooner than later.

:same:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

It'd be nice to be able to copy all the images in one of the Google Drives that mpcfill uses.

You can, there's no reason you cant?

Well they have to have their link be public. But most of the drives you can go to the person's actual drive and look around, and copy images if you want. I have the backups from when MPC went down for a while, several hundred GB of images.

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
Hell has frozen over and I have received shipping notification for Heads I Win, Tails You Lose.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

You can, there's no reason you cant?

Well they have to have their link be public. But most of the drives you can go to the person's actual drive and look around, and copy images if you want. I have the backups from when MPC went down for a while, several hundred GB of images.

I hadn't snooped around too much on MPCfill to see if there were public links. I was under the impression that people had gotten spooked a few years ago and taken all their links down so as to not incur Wizards' wrath. Looks like WillieTanner, the most prolific uploader, doesn't have a link to his on there, but a few others do.

e:

Expected Delivery on
SATURDAY 19 November 2022
by
9:00pm
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 8:33 pm on November 18, 2022

Oh thank GOD. I was going crazy with anticipation.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 19, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Friend just told me the game store closest to him does Pioneer and cEDH for FNM. If you win a [cEDH] pod you get packs equal to the number of players in the pod, lmao (there are multiple pods per night)

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 19, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Friend just told me the game store closest to him does Pioneer and cEDH for FNM. If you win a [cEDH] pod you get packs equal to the number of players in the pod, lmao (there are multiple pods per night)

That's kind of how my store does it. $5 buy-in for cEDH, winner takes all in store credit from the pod (so $15 store credit for a 3 person pod, 20 for 4, etc).

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
We do a Sunday night commander where it's a pot of $5 per person for a 3 round commander tournament, points are based on standing in each pod plus a random point assignment based on colour to split out the scores more evenly. Winner takes 40% of the pot, second takes 30% etc.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My store does packs as prizes - $5 for entry, one draft pack to the prize pool per entry. I got 2nd in a 7 player event and got two packs, which felt bad - I'd rather have spent the 5 bucks on singles

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My store just does buy here play here with freeplay for commander. Then they roll off some promo packs.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Commander players complaining about event EV, lol. iT's A cAsUaL FoRmAt

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Who's complaining?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Here to report that this batch of 504 proxies do not stink.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Commander players comparing prize support in different game stores isn't complaining about EV.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Front and back samples:

A few of the decks had two-faced cards so I had to use the remaining four card slots to print the missing cards for the decks on the back.

E:

-Sleeving report-

The cards barely fit in the Ultra Pro acrylic boxes after I double-sleeved them.

Not sure if most acrylic boxes are like this, but these get thicker toward the bottom. There is literally no room for a single other card in there. I'm going to split the next deck I sleeve up into a few piles and put them under a heavy book overnight to see if that flattens them enough to fit into the deck box comfortably.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 20, 2022

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

This is not on you but seeing the stupid lazy rear end way the extended art is implemented is my biggest pet peeve. With the legendary border it looks fine but any normal card has that stupid top half of the coloured border over the name which highlights the harshest gradient possible with vehicles looking particularly horrendous. I think either getting rid of the colour border and having a curved sunset gradient would look so much better. Or extend the art up above the name and call them half art cards vs bordered and full art.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Batterypowered7 posted:

The cards barely fit in the Ultra Pro acrylic boxes after I double-sleeved them.

Yeah those specific ultra pro boxes aren't great for double sleeved or commander decks with tokens.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Reynold posted:

Yeah those specific ultra pro boxes aren't great for double sleeved or commander decks with tokens.

It's 'cause I used Dragon Shields. I've got a different deck in some shittier sleeves and that one fit well, even while double-sleeved.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Saw somewhere that you can run a local version of card conjurer. Haven't set it up yet but didn't seem too hard from the instructions.

Not trying to be competitive but I can tell what I put together is really messy
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/qJyQdT8IfEi5TbQ6dkOPbg

I've been wanting to make a snow deck, never played the snow sets and its cold outside and I just want to make this. Kinda just added a ton of the snow cards that seemed good, went with Jorn, God of Winter as commander. The other snow commander options had too high mana costs or didn't lean into snow every much. It's funny how cheap this deck is, so many snow cards dirt cheap lol. Casual deck but also i still want it to be like actually trying to do something while being winter themed.

I think my main wincon will just be face-beating, but I have a couple ways to keep all the untapped mana I should have floating around, and if I understand these cards correctly(Kruphix god and horizon stone), I keep that mana basically until I lose it or these cards removed... assuming that's really how it works, then I have a few win conditions based on dumping mana into stuff like Dark Depths.

regarding Dark Depths: Does Thespian's stage copy it exactly, like if I play it with only 3 counters, does the copy also only have 3 tokens or does it start with a full 20? I'm guessing the former since Thespian's stage already done entered the battlefield and I don't think copying this way counts as that card entering the battlefield? Could be totally wrong. This might also not even be a good combo now that I'm typing about it. 30 mana just to summon a 20/20 is already a moonshot, and trying to copy it at the right time seems eh. Sounded fun last night when I was building this but seems hard to pull off and not that crazy if I do, one extra big boy to remove.

I think Exsanguinate could also be a wincon if I end up floating a crazy amount of mana. Hmm, wondering now if I should have at least a third way to keep unspent mana or maybe something else to do with it when I get it. I might also be lacking card draw and removal. I put a maze of ith in there thinking maybe I can use it to protect my commander on the field but I guess plenty of other ways to remove him if he's not equipped with hexproof and stuff.

List is really creature heavy, partially because I'm really wanting a very icey snowy deck. I looked at one of those crazy 5,000 dollar deck lists and it loses so many snow creatures that they are basically the kinda generic $$$ deck full of expensive s-class staples, except snow lands thrown in. Which I guess is the strongest thing to untap and lean into but still, not very wintery. lol I added Frozen Shade because its frozen and looks cool with a edgar allen poe flavor text, but realizing now any big-mana I have will be mostly colorless so I cant pump her into a surprise threat. Looks like I got room to cut from creatures.

I think I'm missing ramp/land-finding, partially because most of those are super generic and just not fun to think about when first deckbuilding, but also most of the ones I know are very very green and warm. I am still half tempted to cut Kruphix just because he's clearly in a very muggy warm environment. He's made of space and space is cold, though so he can stay. I saw a few Jorn decks that leaned into Control with tons of cards like Winter Orb that just freeze other players mana or boards, but while thematically appropriate, seems like everyone at the table would just be bored and annoyed. at the same time, lmao if everyone is getting 1 mana per turn except for me, who gets all my mana when Jorn attacks. Frozen Aether feels more chill and fair so I threw that in. Are there some colder rampant growths out there?

I kinda struggle to figure out what to do with untapping snow-creatures as Jorn goes to combat. With Rime Tender, I think I would tap her to untap a land, then when Jorn attacks, untap her and then tap her again to untap another land. Makes sense I think, but not many snow creatures have something I can do with that. and like, if i untap a tapped creature, I can't suddenly attack with them since Jorn would have already gone to combat phase, right? Or is "whenever jorn attacks" when he actually hits something, ive been assuming its just when attacks declared.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MasterBuilder posted:

This is not on you but seeing the stupid lazy rear end way the extended art is implemented is my biggest pet peeve. With the legendary border it looks fine but any normal card has that stupid top half of the coloured border over the name which highlights the harshest gradient possible with vehicles looking particularly horrendous. I think either getting rid of the colour border and having a curved sunset gradient would look so much better. Or extend the art up above the name and call them half art cards vs bordered and full art.

That's... I'm not sure what word to use here, Fake Squared?

There is no real extended art Swan Song.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Saw somewhere that you can run a local version of card conjurer. Haven't set it up yet but didn't seem too hard from the instructions.

Not trying to be competitive but I can tell what I put together is really messy
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/qJyQdT8IfEi5TbQ6dkOPbg

I've been wanting to make a snow deck, never played the snow sets and its cold outside and I just want to make this. Kinda just added a ton of the snow cards that seemed good, went with Jorn, God of Winter as commander. The other snow commander options had too high mana costs or didn't lean into snow every much. It's funny how cheap this deck is, so many snow cards dirt cheap lol. Casual deck but also i still want it to be like actually trying to do something while being winter themed.

I think my main wincon will just be face-beating, but I have a couple ways to keep all the untapped mana I should have floating around, and if I understand these cards correctly(Kruphix god and horizon stone), I keep that mana basically until I lose it or these cards removed... assuming that's really how it works, then I have a few win conditions based on dumping mana into stuff like Dark Depths.

regarding Dark Depths: Does Thespian's stage copy it exactly, like if I play it with only 3 counters, does the copy also only have 3 tokens or does it start with a full 20? I'm guessing the former since Thespian's stage already done entered the battlefield and I don't think copying this way counts as that card entering the battlefield? Could be totally wrong. This might also not even be a good combo now that I'm typing about it. 30 mana just to summon a 20/20 is already a moonshot, and trying to copy it at the right time seems eh. Sounded fun last night when I was building this but seems hard to pull off and not that crazy if I do, one extra big boy to remove.

I think Exsanguinate could also be a wincon if I end up floating a crazy amount of mana. Hmm, wondering now if I should have at least a third way to keep unspent mana or maybe something else to do with it when I get it. I might also be lacking card draw and removal. I put a maze of ith in there thinking maybe I can use it to protect my commander on the field but I guess plenty of other ways to remove him if he's not equipped with hexproof and stuff.

List is really creature heavy, partially because I'm really wanting a very icey snowy deck. I looked at one of those crazy 5,000 dollar deck lists and it loses so many snow creatures that they are basically the kinda generic $$$ deck full of expensive s-class staples, except snow lands thrown in. Which I guess is the strongest thing to untap and lean into but still, not very wintery. lol I added Frozen Shade because its frozen and looks cool with a edgar allen poe flavor text, but realizing now any big-mana I have will be mostly colorless so I cant pump her into a surprise threat. Looks like I got room to cut from creatures.

I think I'm missing ramp/land-finding, partially because most of those are super generic and just not fun to think about when first deckbuilding, but also most of the ones I know are very very green and warm. I am still half tempted to cut Kruphix just because he's clearly in a very muggy warm environment. He's made of space and space is cold, though so he can stay. I saw a few Jorn decks that leaned into Control with tons of cards like Winter Orb that just freeze other players mana or boards, but while thematically appropriate, seems like everyone at the table would just be bored and annoyed. at the same time, lmao if everyone is getting 1 mana per turn except for me, who gets all my mana when Jorn attacks. Frozen Aether feels more chill and fair so I threw that in. Are there some colder rampant growths out there?

I kinda struggle to figure out what to do with untapping snow-creatures as Jorn goes to combat. With Rime Tender, I think I would tap her to untap a land, then when Jorn attacks, untap her and then tap her again to untap another land. Makes sense I think, but not many snow creatures have something I can do with that. and like, if i untap a tapped creature, I can't suddenly attack with them since Jorn would have already gone to combat phase, right? Or is "whenever jorn attacks" when he actually hits something, ive been assuming its just when attacks declared.

Someone also set this up: https://www.printingproxies.com/mtg-proxy-card-editor/creator/ saying it addressed all the complaints from Wizards' lawyers or something along those lines.

Aphrodite posted:

That's... I'm not sure what word to use here, Fake Squared?

There is no real extended art Swan Song.

Yeah, I've just grabbed the fan-made versions of all the cards with "extended" art.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Thespian's Stage becomes a copy of dark depths with 0 counters on it, regardless of how many Dark Depths had.

Unless you have a mirror box or whatever, you couldn't make two marit lages anyway since they're legendary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Thespian's Stage becomes a copy of dark depths with 0 counters on it, regardless of how many Dark Depths had.

Unless you have a mirror box or whatever, you couldn't make two marit lages anyway since they're legendary.

Oh poo poo, well, wouldn't that just mean I could get out a Marit Lage for basically free once I have Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage in the battlefield? that seems crazy!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Oh poo poo, well, wouldn't that just mean I could get out a Marit Lage for basically free once I have Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage in the battlefield? that seems crazy!

Yes. This is how the legacy decks built around Depths work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very cool, I'll definitely add a few more cards to help cheat out or even copy Marit Lages. You know I haven't built a commander deck yet where I absolutely want some specific pieces bad enough to add any proper tutor cards, but some of the Marit Lage combos seem pretty fun and now I sorta want to be able to nab em on demand too lol. and its not so many cards that this deck veers away from snow.

I need to play commander more regularly cause I play Draft pretty consistently every week and I keep evaluating cards for my commander decks as if I were drafting and getting excited about draft chaff I shouldn't actually put in my commander decks

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Yep. Please note that this does not work with the similar copying land Vesuva, which etbs as a copy and consequently gets the full 20 counters.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Someone also set this up: https://www.printingproxies.com/mtg-proxy-card-editor/creator/ saying it addressed all the complaints from Wizards' lawyers or something along those lines.

This has been taken down by the creator with a note that a more rules compliant Cardconjurer is coming "very soon."

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I brought my Drake posted:

This has been taken down by the creator with a note that a more rules compliant Cardconjurer is coming "very soon."

Didn't even last a day! Lol

At least there's always the option of running locally hosted versions [if this doesn't work out].

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Goons, need some help with this one.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/uBYnLZYmO0O-OARcbk5DAQ

This is having trouble getting off the ground and I want it to work well. I did get proxies of the most expensive stuff in here, so that's not an issue, i just have problems getting an engine going. Thoughts?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there ever a situation in which you have been conceivably able to kick Josu Vess and have it be worth it?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
No, you're right. Any suggestions what to pull for that?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like these boxes will fit exactly 98 double-sleeved cards (KMC Perfects, Dragon Shield Matte), so I'm just putting the 99th and the commander on top like so and calling it a day.

E:

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 21, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Looks like these boxes will fit exactly 98 double-sleeved cards (KMC Perfects, Dragon Shield Matte), so I'm just putting the 99th and the commander on top like so and calling it a day.

I wanted to tell blame you that I'm putting together my next MPC order

No self control :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Goons, need some help with this one.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/uBYnLZYmO0O-OARcbk5DAQ

This is having trouble getting off the ground and I want it to work well. I did get proxies of the most expensive stuff in here, so that's not an issue, i just have problems getting an engine going. Thoughts?

Tell us how you want to win the game.