Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

hey im watching this and uh is waxing ball sacks something people actually do now or is this just part of the nightmare future setting

get wtih the times gramps, waxing balls has been a thing since like.... 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Some Guy TT posted:

hey im watching this and uh is waxing ball sacks something people actually do now or is this just part of the nightmare future setting

most people who do just use a trimmer but as someone who's seen a lot of balls it's been going on forever

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zvahl posted:

most people who do just use a trimmer but as someone who's seen a lot of balls it's been going on forever

right but the guy in the black mirror episode isnt gay uh i mean not in the same way you probably are

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Shaving works fine and is quick and easy as long as you keep up with it. I cannot imagine waxing your ballsack unless you had nothing better to do the rest of the day than stay in the fetal position wishing you had been strangled by your umbilical cord.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Some Guy TT posted:

right but the guy in the black mirror episode isnt gay uh i mean not in the same way you probably are

true but even clothed straight men haven't been able to get away with the schlubby asthetic very well since the 90s, the general tone has shifted towards a lot more groomed especially in the popular narrative as you're talking about so it's not particularly surprising

i get away with being an unshaven ogre because a good number of gay men appreciate it for some reason

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
So apparently the new show from the DARK people just ripped off a brazilian graphic novel wholesale

https://twitter.com/marycagnin/status/1594190866041610240?t=q_tGkkTYuqlrSQpOxsEabw&s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Unnamed One posted:

So apparently the new show from the DARK people just ripped off a brazilian graphic novel wholesale

https://twitter.com/marycagnin/status/1594190866041610240?t=q_tGkkTYuqlrSQpOxsEabw&s=19
If you look at their pupils, you can see that the show is very different.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not sure i buy it tbh. The settings and conflicts are completely different, the major similarities are visual, and most of that is just triangles.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i commented to my brother in law that the reason Andor is good is because it's not even about a star war and you don't need to know anything about Star Wars to watch it.

he quickly replied "it actually has everything to do with Star Wars." so I didn't pursue it any further.

I was talking about it with some acquaintances yesterday and described it as the first time star wars has been sci-fi instead of space fantasy with sword wielding knights and princesses in castles; where multiple episodes were focused on space banking laws, space prisons, etc. And that yhe season is entirely focused on "how did the rebellion get money"

One of the people said she liked trek so it sounded great to her

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

they kick this up another notch when the Black Panther baby is named after Toussaint Louverture

Surely that isn't right

Miles morales dad's name is Jefferson Davis, it has to just be some writer not realizing what they did. It has to be!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you know i gotta say mastershakeman bernie seems like such an obvious and easy thing to do i really dont get why this one riffs off of the ivermectin avatar which wasnt exactly easy to parse even in its original context

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mastershakeman posted:

episodes were focused on space banking laws

there's this minor contribution to the series called 'the phantom menace' you may want to check out

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
how do they wax their balls in the Future? nanomachines, son!

https://twitter.com/petefrasermusic/status/1594057131552305153?s=20&t=cWZgMdVFaPCKlxWST90cPQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol if u don't shave ur balls

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morgan Freeman promotes a nation that uses slave labor and punish people for being gay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3jjN0D5iQ

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Alhazred posted:

Morgan Freeman promotes a nation that uses slave labor and punish people for being gay:

the usa?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip green ranger

https://www.avclub.com/r-i-p-jason-david-frank-power-rangers-1849806516

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Alhazred posted:

oh my loving god please click this

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

they chopped off his legs for that show

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

boooo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People been ripping off manga/graphic novels for decades, too bad pick up a camera and learn2film

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
firing up rings of power since I got a free week of prime and lol ok

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Koirhor posted:

firing up rings of power since I got a free week of prime and lol ok

It's boring as poo poo and generally not even in a Tolkien way

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Can't believe Dwayne the rock Johnson sang so well in that Disney movie Moana. Only seen it once but one of my students really likes his "You're Welcome" song during reinforcement time. It's really growing on me!!

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

i say swears online posted:

Lmfao wtf

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Can't believe Dwayne the rock Johnson sang so well in that Disney movie Moana. Only seen it once but one of my students really likes his "You're Welcome" song during reinforcement time. It's really growing on me!!

He's worth every $100 million he asks per picture

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Nonsense posted:

People been ripping off manga/graphic novels for decades, too bad pick up a camera and learn2film

the Akira ripoff in Nope was really dumb but the Akira ripoff in Uncut Gems was pretty worthy

(not a joke - both those movies stole, er, homaged Akira. well uncut gems stole for sure.)

edit: they both ripped off the feature length animation not the manga tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

NeatHeteroDude posted:

he's got some pipes but it's auto tuned as hell

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

lmao i clicked this earlier and it worked but now it's not available in my country

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i loving love that song and im not afraid to admit it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Antonymous posted:

(not a joke - both those movies stole, er, homaged Akira. well uncut gems stole for sure.)

How so?

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Nov 20, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2AF_DJgdjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB6Ch_VAfIk

this kinda stuff is pretty normal in film score, cause 95% of the time the score is made after the film is cut and to cut the film you need music. it's likely they edited to the Akira song and it worked too well with it, reworking it too much made it not fit the scene anymore

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

This is the climax moment and it sticks out so much that it took me way out of the movie, which granted is a movie about 'spectacle'

it's also a cliche at this point

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'm going to hazard a guess that the creator of a movie full of deliberate genre references and media pastiches did that on purpose

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you don't steal a shot on accident, no. You think I'm suggesting it was subconscious, unintentional? it's very intentional

if you think 'ah, an 80s anime. that is what this scene needed - a call back to an iconic image from something insanely unrelated, a technique we haven't done anywhere else in the movie' you might be a redneck

The director said "I like this shot and I want to steal it" and that was about it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Everything is a remix of a remix? What's stealing here? Star wars, airplane, like every single tarantino movie, are all at least partially derivative, if not mostly. Shot for shot recreations of scenes galore. That's what I can throw out there off the cuff, but it's pretty normal. Because unless you just literally cut film that's not yours in, in the act of shooting, composing, and lighting the derivative shot, you've made a new work.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I say "The director did this"

and you correct me "yah they did it, ON PURPOSE"

well no poo poo? That's your level of media literacy?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

if you think 'ah, an 80s anime. that is what this scene needed - a call back to an iconic image from something insanely unrelated, a technique we haven't done anywhere else in the movie' you might be a redneck

please don't plagiarize foxworthy

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

(serenely and with great wisdom) nihil sub sole novum (floats away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

a lot of great scenes are rip offs of other great scenes

what I'm saying is I didn't 'get' the Akira thing on an intellectual level or a visceral level. It 'bumped me' it 'took me out' I could no longer 'suspend my disbelief' and found it 'jarring' and like a sore thumb it 'stuck out'

jesus christ