Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It sounds like you already have a lot of the theory, and maybe just need some more of the mechanical and technique portion of playing? Its just a practice thing. Easiest for me was memorizing the 3nps scales shapes for each of the seven modes and playing them sequentially in different positions until I had them memorized and in my muscle memory. I didn't do it for hours on end, maybe 15-20 minutes a day, usually while watching netflix or whatever . What I wished I had done when I was practicing that was to pay attention to where the root 3rd 5th and 7th are in each mode. I realized later you can build chords and arpeggios with any of the notes in the scale but those are the most commonly used, obviously. Oh, make sure to use a metronome! You can also figure out the scales on single strings to help break out of boxes too.

And what other folks said about learning solos from songs you like too. Weezer solos aren't too tough and are usually diatonic iirc.

Oh and if you learn a cool lick, play it in a bunch of different positions on the neck, keeping it in key. Also you don't have to stay in 3nps boxes to stay in key of course. I remember having my mind blown when a teacher told me I could just play the appropriate major/minor pentatonic scale over a chord and it would work, which is such a simple trick to "fake" lead playing.

yeah i realized yesterday that.... learning blue leads isn't so hard. definitely doable for me. i know enough about where i am in the key now.

it kind of happened accidentally, because unlike a lot of guitar players (i'm told), i didn't get stuck in one box. the 3nps stuff isn't even what i rely on. i use it pretty rarely if we're being real.

but i did get okay at playing up and down one string. i think it was cause a lot of blue and pinkerton songs are in Gb, so it was easy for me to conceptualize myself in the scale because knew the formula for a major scale. it kind of expanded to the other strings based on specific reference notes, where like...

i knew that B fretted on the fifth fret was an E. so when i needed an F#, i'd go "oh i can do that on the 7th fret B string" and eventually make that connection so many times that i wouldn't need to think of my reference note anymore.

that, and i got way into altering my own chord shapes, by figuring out what note was under each finger, and seeing if i could comfortably move it somewhere else -- like, finding my octaves so i could lower them and get a 7, or my thirds so i could raise them and get a sus4. that sort of thing. i know those little decorations.

i know a good amount about the fretboard at this point, but it's entirely from trying to build my own chords and stuff like that, or learning a new chord shape and pulling it apart. i'm still not all the way there yet.

stage i'm at right now is still working on my close position triads, and i'm starting to get into drop voicings and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I dunno if it will help and maybe is obvious already but I recorded a simple bit of what I how I would practice scales daily in jazz school for technique. Played slow here, but of course, I would run it as fast as possible
https://on.soundcloud.com/nx468

It works best in a boxed position so you can ingrain muscle memory, but it's also important to practice breaking out of the position. Here I am starting in A major, instead of running straight up and down the major scale I am alternating thirds. The second run through is just running up the scale but emphasizing the root, 3rd, 5th by playing it once, resting, then again and continuing. One I've run up and down the scale twice I move to B Dorian at the same position I just played A major. You can just keep going through all the modes.

it can be very grating and torturous but it is a hell of a finger exercise.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 20, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh DUHH i just use the scale shape that corresponds to the chord the melody is over. like the jump between positions when something in a solo changes probably shouldn't even be that different from just playing the chords.

weird i didn't figure this out sooner, but at the same time, no one told me to approach it like this lol

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
since you're confident in triad shapes, use them as frameworks for lead playing. every scale degree in any of the church modes is either a semitone or a whole tone away from one of the notes of the corresponding triad, you can synthesize a position very easily by just taking your triad and building from there.

chord tones are the arteries, extensions are the capillaries that branch off from them.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

creamcorn posted:

since you're confident in triad shapes, use them as frameworks for lead playing. every scale degree in any of the church modes is either a semitone or a whole tone away from one of the notes of the corresponding triad, you can synthesize a position very easily by just taking your triad and building from there.

chord tones are the arteries, extensions are the capillaries that branch off from them.

yeah, it's just now that i'm figuring stuff like that out-- writing melodies that didn't sound like dogshit for songs suddenly became a lot easier cause i realized a lot of it is just chord tones with passing notes.

anyway, gear related:

i think i found an amp that scratches the Mesa Mk. 1 itch, or the same sort of sound, or something like that-- the sovtek/now-re-issued-by-ehx MIG-50.

that kind of raspy, grungy tone you can get out of it, goosed with a pedal going in, dialed to the right settings with a humbucker or a p90 and making high notes in chord voices absolutely sing in distortion-- that kinda garagey sound.

wondering if there's anything else that's a similar vibe? from what i'm reading, it's kind of similar to the bassman, but fender doesn't make a guitar bassman anymore, just the bass breaker, which seems like its own thing

e: every amp and distortion and guitar demo should have a few seconds where the demo-er has to just give you I-V-vi-IV in power chords. show me how it sounds with a basic punk texture, instead of just soloing/shredding. rhythm guitar applications is are most of what we hear anyway

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 20, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

stage i'm at right now is still working on my close position triads

this is the way

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

ok but i don't know anything about how to position my fingers and stuff like that for playing those lines.

like it's the sort of knowledge where learning music is hard and i'm reluctant to write it -- like i need to know fingerings and positionings and stuff so as not to develop bad technique and screw myself later

This exercise is kinda the OPPOSITE of technique- it's about intuition and understanding where the notes are and how they flow together. Worry about poo poo sounding good- that's literally the only thing that matters in music anyway. When it comes to lead playing, good phrasing and note selection beats technique 100/100 times. Technique will come with time if you want it to- just have a consistent warmup routine that emphasizes good technique and that will bleed into the rest of your playing. You really shouldn't ever be thinking about technique when playing. Just make cool noises!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

yeah, it's just now that i'm figuring stuff like that out-- writing melodies that didn't sound like dogshit for songs suddenly became a lot easier cause i realized a lot of it is just chord tones with passing notes.

anyway, gear related:

i think i found an amp that scratches the Mesa Mk. 1 itch, or the same sort of sound, or something like that-- the sovtek/now-re-issued-by-ehx MIG-50.

that kind of raspy, grungy tone you can get out of it, goosed with a pedal going in, dialed to the right settings with a humbucker or a p90 and making high notes in chord voices absolutely sing in distortion-- that kinda garagey sound.

wondering if there's anything else that's a similar vibe? from what i'm reading, it's kind of similar to the bassman, but fender doesn't make a guitar bassman anymore, just the bass breaker, which seems like its own thing

e: every amp and distortion and guitar demo should have a few seconds where the demo-er has to just give you I-V-vi-IV in power chords. show me how it sounds with a basic punk texture, instead of just soloing/shredding. rhythm guitar applications is are most of what we hear anyway

seems like a BadCat is also promising.

i say as if i'll have amp money even remotely soon lol

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Gramps posted:

Worry about poo poo sounding good- that's literally the only thing that matters in music anyway.

Technique is an important part of sounding good though. It doesn't matter what your note choices and phrasing are like if its all buried under string noise and dead notes. Also technique itself can create cool sounds eg sweeps and ultra fast alternate picking/hybrid picking runs. Gotta put it all together and not just focus on one aspect over the others (I say, as I pointedly ignore this jazz theory book I bought while alternate picking 3nps scales all day)

landgrabber posted:

I played with a guy who had an original MIG-50 and I'd say its much more marshall-y than boogie-ish. That was a while ago and I've never heard the EHX reissues in person. I don't know of anything that does the mesa mark sound except the mesa mark series. Maybe the Mesa DC series might get close? I see them come up cheap around my neck of the woods pretty frequently. Sovtek MIGs are rad as hell though, too bad people caught on and sell them for absurd prices now when they used to be so cheap

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Technique is an important part of sounding good though. It doesn't matter what your note choices and phrasing are like if its all buried under string noise and dead notes. Also technique itself can create cool sounds eg sweeps and ultra fast alternate picking/hybrid picking runs. Gotta put it all together and not just focus on one aspect over the others (I say, as I pointedly ignore this jazz theory book I bought while alternate picking 3nps scales all day)

I played with a guy who had an original MIG-50 and I'd say its much more marshall-y than boogie-ish. That was a while ago and I've never heard the EHX reissues in person. I don't know of anything that does the mesa mark sound except the mesa mark series. Maybe the Mesa DC series might get close? I see them come up cheap around my neck of the woods pretty frequently. Sovtek MIGs are rad as hell though, too bad people caught on and sell them for absurd prices now when they used to be so cheap

it may have been the cab i was hearing in the demo or the pickup or something.

in any case my amp tastes are expanding a little so it's more like "oh this kinda sounds like what i like about that".

like i also would probably like a JTM45 or something a lot, if they weren't so expensive that it's not worth thinking about owning one. a new MIG-50 is like $680 on sweet water or something like that, and yeah you need a cab but that's an extremely reasonable price.

my understanding was that mesa, marshall were both kind of created from different ribs of fender bassmans. have also heard VOX overdrives described as bassman like.

allure of the badcat is that i've read it described as "a slightly more beefy/marshally VOX" which sounds heavenly

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The MIG-50 has a little more of the JTM-45 vibe than straight Bassman, but it's the cheapest way to get the JTM thing at the moment. Expensive circuits as Marshall only does them as reissued (although the SV20 is pretty nice too).

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

really i shouldn't have compared it to the mesa because what it actually is is like...

the tone i get out of my hod rod deville with the settings dialed right and relying on my RAT kind of gestures toward the tone i want. a similar setup going into a MIG-50 IS that tone.

so maybe i've just wanted something marshally the whole time.

it would probably sound better with P90s too so we'll see if i ever get a les paul special like i've been periodically talking about since before i started playing guitar lol

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

landgrabber posted:

anyway, gear related:

did they ever make a "guitar bassman?" it's a bass amp (that's why it's called a bassman) that people nevertheless like to play their guitars through. have I misunderstood something? what's a bass breaker?

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 20, 2022

gregday
May 23, 2003

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

fender assman

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

aerodyne strats looking sick af though. might just see if i can trade my gibby for one

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is there a stratocaster with a 12" fretboard and a rounded neck-joint? Ideally with the CBS headstock too.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Doctor Dogballs posted:

did they ever make a "guitar bassman?" it's a bass amp (that's why it's called a bassman) that people nevertheless like to play their guitars through. have I misunderstood something? what's a bass breaker?

The 'Bassman' named circuit Fender offer at the moment is a high output solid state bass amp - very different from the older circuit. Bassbreaker was their new range a few years back which was loosely based around Bassman circuits with a bunch of modernisations for gain.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Pondex posted:

Is there a stratocaster with a 12" fretboard and a rounded neck-joint? Ideally with the CBS headstock too.

Some of the charvel pro mods have a rounded heel, flatter radiuses and licensed headstocks. This is a pretty nice SSS strat style: https://www.charvel.com/gear/series/pro-mod/pro-mod-dk22-sss-2pt-cm-mahogany-with-walnut/2969016557

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Pondex posted:

im pretty sure there is not a fender strat you can get off the rack that has all 3 of these things. the ultra strat has a slim neck joint and a compound radius fretboard but no CBS.

when I build my strats I use the MIM deluxe neck, which is the CBS headstock, 12" radius, and a really really nice feeling carve to them. they absolutely shred. but you'd have to drill a new hole for the bolt if you want to put one onto a body with a rounded heel.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the charvel pro mods are sick

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
My acoustic journey continues. Played a bunch of stuff mostly Taylor PRS epiphone and Yamaha. Honestly feel like the Yamahas were at the top in my 1k budget. Really felt the Yamahas were best sounding and playing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

muike posted:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm mostly just spitballing, don't really have the budget (or need really) for a new guitar right now. But the next one is going to be a strat.

There's a Harley Benton that's 95% a Charvel pro mod that I've been making eyes at too. Fusion-III.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Bassbreaker is fenders plexi like range based on the logic that early Marshall’s were modified fender bassman circuits anyway.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

muike posted:

:yeah:

Pondex posted:

There's a Harley Benton that's 95% a Charvel pro mod that I've been making eyes at too. Fusion-III.

That looks pretty sweet, especially for the price. Has an actual Floyd on it too

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

kinda looks like this:
:derptiel:
:yosbutt:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I should hold off on anything but very cheap guitars for now (I'm thinking of a cheap base for modding) but I think at some point I'm going to make a Meteora my first "proper" Fender (as in not a Squier) the silverburst finish looks gorgeous online at least, and I feel like it might suit me a bit better than a Jazzmaster that it shares a lot of spec space with. Although I have been looking at Schecter and Reverend lately as well.

I lucked into finding a Looper Pedal on Amazon's "Black Friday" (It's not Black Friday yet) "week" (It's substantially longer than a week) and I'm having a lot of fun with it, including switching guitars and laying bass and rhythm than soloing over it. Still need to play with porting .wavs over USB. Not the one I was going to get originally but it seem to have all I need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TVMXNTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also got a D'Addario tuner that had a few pounds knocked off which is much more convenient than my old Korg, especially having basses as well.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
there's a hello kitty strat on reverb with an autograph by MIKE HUCKABEE

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

The Fear posted:

there's a hello kitty strat on reverb with an autograph by MIKE HUCKABEE

How much are they paying for someone to take it?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

BCRock posted:

How much are they paying for someone to take it?

Mr Clean Magic Eraser will take it right off but might dull the surface. Rubbing alcohol will probably work, too.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

That looks pretty sweet, especially for the price. Has an actual Floyd on it too

They make them with/without FR. HH, HSS, SSS. 22 or 24 frets. It's nuts.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Helix Native is half off for black friday, making it $50 for Helix/HX unit owners:

https://shop.line6.com/software/?utm_source=shophomepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=wbsSSS

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

curried lamb of God posted:

Helix Native is half off for black friday, making it $50 for Helix/HX unit owners:

https://shop.line6.com/software/?utm_source=shophomepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=wbsSSS

Wow. Full price of $199 is not that much higher than the 2 neural dsp archetypes I was considering. Does anyone have experience with both?
EDIT: actually I guess it's more like 3-4 neural plugins. internet consensus seems to be neural is easier to dial in quickly but that both are capable. more effects in helix.

havelock fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 21, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

havelock posted:

Wow. Full price of $199 is not that much higher than the 2 neural dsp archetypes I was considering. Does anyone have experience with both?
EDIT: actually I guess it's more like 3-4 neural plugins. internet consensus seems to be neural is easier to dial in quickly but that both are capable. more effects in helix.

I just swapped helix to neural. For my use case, I was recording with the same sound and post-processing it 99% of the time anyhow so all the effects didn't really do much for me.
Plus I have guitar rig from forever again if I want to feed any of the neural sounds into a tremolo or something.

Though if you have the hardware the appeal of sharing configs between each is pretty powerful

But longstory, if you enjoy tonechasing the helix will satisfy you endlessly. You can do fun poo poo like set up parallel processing chains and blend basically two amps at the same time. The high gain stuff is just no comparison against neural though, so if you want to meedlymeedlymeedly or chug you want neural.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, I think ultimately you can get the same quality from either with a good set of IRs - Neural will sound terrific out of the box, while Helix's default patches are crap but the software gives you a looooot more options.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Helix range just got an update that massively improved the sound of the stock cabs so you dont really need to mess around finding third party IRs anymore. The constant updates are why I'm a big fan of it. They even hired ex digitech devs a few months back to do some new reverbs.

Neural stuff sounds good but I dont really get the philosophy of only giving you a few effects per package.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Guitar related and this is the funniest thing I have seen in months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJMNYpRikE

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Guitar related and this is the funniest thing I have seen in months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJMNYpRikE

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I need someone to tell me not to buy a Meteora right now, really need a break from buying guitars.

Instead I thought I'd do an overhaul of my old strat clone starter guitar. I was thinking replace the HSS pickups and maybe just replace all the electronics as one of the tone pots seems to have come loose from the scratch plate. Can anyone recommend a pickup set or should I just shop around?