Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
They removed getting experience in the Frozst Survival creative mode. (except timed) This stinks. I'll miss being able to easily grind out 2-4 levels in 30 minutes.

What are some creative mode maps that give good exp?

edit: Never mind, logged in today and got a message that Frozst Survival was undergoing an exp calibration. They gave me exp for a game I played last night.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
A common line of complaint I see, in many competitive multiplayer games, is to be upset when you very quickly lose a fight with few options to counterplay once the fight has begun.

The general line of response I take is that there was almost always something you could have done before the fight started. You skylined yourself, or generally stopped moving at the wrong time, and someone got a good shot off. The fight ended before the shot was fired, because someone with good aim was scoped in waiting for you to stop moving out of position.

It's definitely a qualitative change to Fortnite, but it's for the better: it makes Fortnite a more mature shooter where you are thinking about threats and positioning before you know a fight is happening. I'm not a sniper player, and I lose all the time to this stuff, but it's making me better at shooters in general and I just requeue when it happens.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1575968098536013842 double bag fumble, you hate to see it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a resource for finding cool creative levels? Outside of the ones on the main playlists, the in-game search kinds sucks and doesn't seem to let you search all tags, and while I've popped open a few websites where people post their stuff it's still a lot of cruft to sift through.

Mainly just looking for stuff for solo or small groups to mess around in.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

I will pick up those bags for ya
https://twitter.com/xK1/status/1575159482027581445

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

this happens to me a shockingly high number of times on both sides of this sort of play. i tend to remember the wins the most because of how absolutely rare they are.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nice victory umbrella

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
It's me,. Guys. I'm Geno. ⏱️🐰👑💀🎺👽 :ghost::toot::airquote:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nobody checks the floating buildings. Headshots rain down on the pubbies

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

tip for those who are doing the Bytes quests to unlock the different chrome blade designs: when you get to the mission that requires you to deal damage to chromed wildlife, the summons that the Herald boss spawns count for that, so you can easily knock it out just going for her and killing them a few times (they have more HP than regular wolves, too, so I honestly think its the intended way to get that one done quickly)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1577859759205752832 https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1577861290864906241 being able to get in an enemy vehicle while they're driving is such an underrated feature

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Finally finished the Byte quests.

The exploding goo gun is fun.

Headshots nonstop.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mix. posted:

tip for those who are doing the Bytes quests to unlock the different chrome blade designs: when you get to the mission that requires you to deal damage to chromed wildlife, the summons that the Herald boss spawns count for that, so you can easily knock it out just going for her and killing them a few times (they have more HP than regular wolves, too, so I honestly think its the intended way to get that one done quickly)

You could always just throw chrome at animals or cars or whatever to make it chrome. Just figured that out today!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there an actually active discord for someone looking to crossplay with other console players in no-build duos/triples/etc.?

Currently on a Switch while I try to acquire a PS5.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I finally got a solo victory.

Did I hide in a portopotty for 2 minutes? Yes.

Did I manage ambush someone anyway when I finally popped out? Yes.

Did I then find myself staring uphill at a guy with a long distance weapon? Yes.

Did I use explosive goo to damage him, destroy the tree he used for cover, and have the rolling tree log finish him off for the win? Yes.

King of Flukes. It owned.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Congrstulations!

How long has it been since you started playing?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe four months? I've had a lot of heartbreak 2nd place finishes but I can freely admit this was a win that came entirely down to luck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

New season starts December 6th.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shinjobi posted:

I finally got a solo victory.

Did I hide in a portopotty for 2 minutes? Yes.

Did I manage ambush someone anyway when I finally popped out? Yes.

Did I then find myself staring uphill at a guy with a long distance weapon? Yes.

Did I use explosive goo to damage him, destroy the tree he used for cover, and have the rolling tree log finish him off for the win? Yes.

King of Flukes. It owned.

Congrats. Getting your first solo victory owns.

If you're looking for a safer hiding place than a portopotty: find a chrome vortex in circle, go around until you reach the top, open your glider, fly to the center of the vortex, and just float around. As an added bonus you heal due to being chromed.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 22, 2022

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Alternately the Rocket League cars have opaque windows and can blend in with the terrain when chromed, made 2nd hiding around the big head at rave cave in one once

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1595056461654155265?t=qUuccIb7RQ1aH9WX6q5zRw&s=19

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Is it normal that I've won the first three games I've ever played? Are they trying to reel me in until I buy a gamepass then throw me into matchmaking hell? I know about bots and all, but I've killed plenty of custom funky skins, hell one of my highligts was doming a flying Goku with a clean headshot, that couldn't have been a bot! Don't rob me of this!

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Tafferling posted:

Is it normal that I've won the first three games I've ever played? Are they trying to reel me in until I buy a gamepass then throw me into matchmaking hell? I know about bots and all, but I've killed plenty of custom funky skins, hell one of my highligts was doming a flying Goku with a clean headshot, that couldn't have been a bot! Don't rob me of this!

Well don't buy the battlepass now since there's like...four days left in it. Wait for the new one if you want to buy it.

You were up against bots and very low ranked players to start, so it's completely normal that you won. Fortnite is one of the online shooter games that has skill based matchmaking, and bot filler if the match doesn't fill to 100 fast enough, so you should always have a decent enough chance. I personally just play it as a mindless quest thing so I just do whatever mission for my dailies/whatever weekly I feel like doing and then I shoot into the air to get someone's attention and let them kill me. Doing this seems to keep my ranking low enough for a fairly chill experience overall.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

funniest thing to me is focusing on a weird weekly or story quest, and when I snap back into reality it's the 3rd storm cycle and there's less than 20 people left. usually after that I'll just try to find the nearest firefight and party down til I eventually get sniped.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

My goal is usually to get one kill and complete one quest in a round; anything above that is a bonus. Occasionally I'll have a round where I play aggressively and run towards gunfire but I'm as likely to place #85 that round as I am to rack up 8-10 kills.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

What's the usual process for end of season events? This is my first one and I've been playing for the entire season.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

dorium posted:

What's the usual process for end of season events? This is my first one and I've been playing for the entire season.

Log in like 20-30 minutes before event time, around the time they start closing queues for any other game mode. You can probably still get in closer to the event and the promo stuff says you can join late, but this way you won't miss anything. Enjoy ~20-40 minutes of event, last one was kind of a rail shooter with whatever plot connecting the seasons/chapters happening in the middle.

Then the game goes down for about 12 hours or so and comes back up with a new patch.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ah ok, that sounds cool. thanks.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think starting around 30-60 minutes out you won't be able to join any games. You'll enter a waiting room lobby with a big countdown clock and everyone dancing.

Then right at the start time (I think this one is 4pm EST) the event will begin. It's usually an on rails cutscene where you can run & shoot but you can't die and won't affect any outcome. There's a bunch of Fortnite lore exposition that's mostly gibberish. Something will explode, you'll get a tease of next season, and then the game shuts down for half a day or so before you can play again.

They are kinda fun to experience and it's crazy how much effort they put in to something that people can only play once.

Edit: Beaten like me, when I play Fortnite

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is there usually a YouTube VoD of the previous Season finale's?

I would love to see the first season that I have played end, but I've got other engagements.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

People with insider contacts (or just, you know, leakers) have been hinting at the waiting room this time around having stuff for players to mess around with while the countdown is happening instead of just standing still :v:

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is there usually a YouTube VoD of the previous Season finale's?

yeah, the official channel usually posts a runthrough w/ generic players and obv there are streamers/content creators posting their own playthrough w/ reactions and stuff

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Blorknorg posted:

Well don't buy the battlepass now since there's like...four days left in it. Wait for the new one if you want to buy it.

You were up against bots and very low ranked players to start, so it's completely normal that you won. Fortnite is one of the online shooter games that has skill based matchmaking, and bot filler if the match doesn't fill to 100 fast enough, so you should always have a decent enough chance. I personally just play it as a mindless quest thing so I just do whatever mission for my dailies/whatever weekly I feel like doing and then I shoot into the air to get someone's attention and let them kill me. Doing this seems to keep my ranking low enough for a fairly chill experience overall.

Too late, I am sick at home and got the battlepass. Between the three victories, the noob exp boost and the noob exp missions I am well on my way to get the cat skin and the 950 bitcoins for the next season. I haven't won anymore but I got lots of top tens because I'm a sneaky bastard. Doing silly stuff is fun!
But honestly, for all the hate I've always heard hurled towards the game I'm surprised that Epic provides the means of self sustaining the next BP while not saddling the game with an ungrindable wall.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Something Fortnite does better than every other battle pass game, imo, is the constant drip feeding of poo poo to actually do? Even if it’s just getting kills with a weird gun, it gives a sense of accomplishment and progression even when you don’t win.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Tafferling posted:

Too late, I am sick at home and got the battlepass. Between the three victories, the noob exp boost and the noob exp missions I am well on my way to get the cat skin and the 950 bitcoins for the next season. I haven't won anymore but I got lots of top tens because I'm a sneaky bastard. Doing silly stuff is fun!
But honestly, for all the hate I've always heard hurled towards the game I'm surprised that Epic provides the means of self sustaining the next BP while not saddling the game with an ungrindable wall.

The game is oddly good about stuff like self sustaining battlepass stuff, where every other game seems to squeeze every penny possible. Even the PVE mode the 'gacha' has a mechanic that every game should have (and never will) where you see the contents of the box you're about to open before you buy it. They even removed the requirement/ability to pay for the PVE gacha stuff in vbux a while ago. It's true that they seem to be tightening the vice in terms of being able to easily get to level 200 every season without buying the extra levelling pack etc, but still they're better than basically everyone else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1598316267957526529?t=5mrLdn0YT97Br2gyDLUfJQ&s=19

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Heck yeah, I managed to nab Gwen on the Battle pass by systematically doing the metric ton of weekly sidequests. The Noob exp boost helped a lot though, I don't think I would have managed to do without it; now I cry a little every time I see a puny 1000 pop up every time I scrounge chests.

One thing that's really not explained anywhere is that to unlock the pink variants of Twyn equipment you must unlock the Twyn to Twynette transformation. Which is a bitch because it's locked behind another skin that requires like 80 unlocks to unlock.
Locks within locks.

But it was worth it because now I have a fabulously pink kite and backpack for my pink Catvatar. The edgy Catvatar gets the black kite and spiky anarchy bag obviously.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Good job. 👍

Yeah the battlepasses are designed to be unlocked through the season with the extra weekly events to help get the fun extra skins. The sneaky part is the battlepass isn't 100 levels but 140 to get the nice unique stuff that isn't just color swaps.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i like the new skin that dropped for the Crew members.

Pretty cool. Really dig the sword, that'll work for some other skins quite nicely.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Mr Hootington posted:

Good job. 👍

Yeah the battlepasses are designed to be unlocked through the season with the extra weekly events to help get the fun extra skins. The sneaky part is the battlepass isn't 100 levels but 140 to get the nice unique stuff that isn't just color swaps.

The only thing I'd like from the extra levels is the alternate suit for notSamus. The palette is really nice and It modifies all of her equipment too. But I've got just 5 stars and I'm not even near unlocking the page, let alone sink another 30 for the thing. I'm quite content with what I got.

The rest isn't really anything special, Gwen maskless head is HUGE and all the final pages are just ugly translucent reskins for bragging rights. They even did away with Gwen's pink silhouette shader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

dorium posted:

i like the new skin that dropped for the Crew members.

Pretty cool. Really dig the sword, that'll work for some other skins quite nicely.

They also teased that one of the other two characters in the loading screen will be "coming really soon" so presumably either in the next battle pass or a shop drop during next season :eng101: