Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You gotta be 4th dimension-capable to reach the even numbered slots.

finally, a reason to bust this thing out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished setting up an A8-7650K system for my mom as a facebook and posting station

She probably doesn't need 16 gigs of DDR3, but what the heck, I had the spare sticks lying around

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Crossposting from the pc build thread:

I have a 3700x cpu and a 3070ti running on a asus tuf gaming mobo with 16gb ram I think at 3200mhz. Am I being bottlecked by my cpu? Mostly playing stuff like cyberpunk and red dead 2 at 4K. I like enabling ray tracing wherever possible. I think I’m still gpu bound at 4K but I wonder if upgrading the cpu would help with the ray tracing? If so is there a viable upgrade path from the 3700x to slot into my existing mobo?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Am I being bottlecked by my cpu?
I like enabling ray tracing wherever possible. I think I’m still gpu bound at 4K but I wonder if upgrading the cpu would help with the ray tracing?

No.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

If so is there a viable upgrade path from the 3700x to slot into my existing mobo?

A 5800X3d is a viable upgrade if you needed it, but you don't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3700x to a zen3 would dramatically improve 1% lows and cybperpunk is pretty brutal about them.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Crossposting from the pc build thread:

I have a 3700x cpu and a 3070ti running on a asus tuf gaming mobo with 16gb ram I think at 3200mhz. Am I being bottlecked by my cpu? Mostly playing stuff like cyberpunk and red dead 2 at 4K. I like enabling ray tracing wherever possible. I think I’m still gpu bound at 4K but I wonder if upgrading the cpu would help with the ray tracing? If so is there a viable upgrade path from the 3700x to slot into my existing mobo?

I upgraded from zen2 to zen3 paired with a 3090 and cyberpunk's frame pacing improved a lot. If you're happy with 40 fps and trying to avoid the dips to 20, the x3d would be the way to go.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have a 120Hz monitor and while I can definitely notice when a game is always running at 120Hz or above, it's not as immediately obvious as when a few frames drop below an average of 60Hz - to the point that improving the lowest framerate is always the thing I look for.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
some good news

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1594030337922826244

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

That's nice, but it's the mobo prices I'd like to see come down. If I'm going for an AMD build, I'm probably waiting for a 7600 (non-x) to come out anyway, and the DDR5 prices should come down on their own. Just looking on pcpartpicker, the cheapest ATX mobo is $255 CAD ($200 USD, probably?). It feels bad looking at parts and expecting to pair that up with a <$300 CPU.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... For gently caress's sake, some more tangible info about what variants get V-Cache plz!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

unpronounceable posted:

That's nice, but it's the mobo prices I'd like to see come down. If I'm going for an AMD build, I'm probably waiting for a 7600 (non-x) to come out anyway, and the DDR5 prices should come down on their own. Just looking on pcpartpicker, the cheapest ATX mobo is $255 CAD ($200 USD, probably?). It feels bad looking at parts and expecting to pair that up with a <$300 CPU.

Yeah this was the sticking point when I was planning out an upgrade, the price of the CPUs is fine but the motherboards are loving ridiculous.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... For gently caress's sake, some more tangible info about what variants get V-Cache plz!
It genuinely looks like only 8c (maybe 6c). I'm not that optimistic for the vcache cpus this time around, but I'd love to be wrong.

I will try my hardest to wait for zen5 with vcache & whatever Intel releases as competition during that timeframe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Khorne posted:

It genuinely looks like only 8c (maybe 6c). I'm not that optimistic for the vcache cpus this time around, but I'd love to be wrong.

I will try my hardest to wait for zen5 with vcache & whatever Intel releases as competition during that timeframe.
I'm "still" on a 2950X. By no means a bad CPU. However seeing for instance what Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to manage in regards to framerates on an 3080 (at least on benchmarks ran on various YT channels), it seems like in regards to gaming, I'm screwing myself with the cross-die memory accesses from the Zen(+) Threadrippers. I mean, I have time until Starfield is gonna release, because that's the main target for the next upgrade, but if there's no V-Cache 16-core ones being released, why wait (then again, this CPU price drop).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

njsykora posted:

Yeah this was the sticking point when I was planning out an upgrade, the price of the CPUs is fine but the motherboards are loving ridiculous.
Board prices aren't bad in the US now. Lots of $199 models on Newegg/Microcenter, and Microcenter is offering a free 2x16 kit of ram AND $50mobo credit with a 7700X or up. With the cheapest board Microcenter has, that means board+ram+7700X is $510 before tax. Not bad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have time until Starfield is gonna release
Now that's a good joke, considering it was supposed to be launched the Friday before last.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the source that said they only know about 7600X3D and 7700X3D indicated they're probably releasing in Q2 next year. it's not impossible that there's others in the works too, just that's all that's been rumoured for now & so they might be coming later

sounds like 7600, 7700 and 7900 non-X are being unveiled at CES though

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That price drop for Zen4 is nice and all, the 7700X is now cheaper than the 5800X3D because retailers in Switzerland are still scalping the gently caress out of the 5000 series :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I want that X3D announcement because my 8700K is certifiably a CPU bottleneck in everything I play goddammit

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pricing for X3D will be interesting. I wonder if price cuts now are so they can fit the new products into the price slots that have now been vacated, or whether there's currently a bit of scrambling to find out where the post-COVID acceptable price-performance curve for customers is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alchenar posted:

Pricing for X3D will be interesting. I wonder if price cuts now are so they can fit the new products into the price slots that have now been vacated, or whether there's currently a bit of scrambling to find out where the post-COVID acceptable price-performance curve for customers is.

I'm really hoping that the companies are finding they're wrong when they imagined that covid gouging and scalping were prices that customers would accept forever, so this was just the new normal. And that they'll have to ratchet down to more like "+10-20% above pre-pandemic" rather than double.

OTOH the 4090 seems to be selling fine so maybe the :homebrew: audience is still going strong.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah my question was more like, if an iGPU uses system RAM as video RAM, and we expect iGPUs to get faster just from the move from DDR4 and DDR5, all other things being equal, if having lots of cache matters in that paradigm in any way

from the posts so far I'm guessing not because L3 cache for the CPU is just something that the CPU uses, and you'd have make "cache for the iGPU" specifically if you wanted something like that to work like it

You could set the system up in that way, and it would really help for IGPU performance. Being able to fit the render backends in cache is a massive boon for bandwidth-starved GPUs. It's just that any existing AMD APUs don't work that way, and we have seen no hints from AMD they intend to go there.

I do hope they would, I think it would make for an absolutely amazing laptop APU. Cache doesn't just increase performance, it saves a ton of energy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A reminder that this is in the context of 7000-series APUs, which will have up to 12 CUs, and could, therefore, have proportionally-diminished amounts of Infinity Cache compared to the full-fat RDNA3 GPUs.

The IC you require for same performance doesn't scale with CU count, but with resolution. (Which indirectly scales with CU count because if your GPU can't handle large resolutions, you'll maybe drop it down.) The big thing you want is to fit your render targets in the cache, because you do a poo poo ton of writes to those while rendering a frame, and locality for all other memory accesses of a GPU sucks anyway.

Klyith posted:

I'm really hoping that the companies are finding they're wrong when they imagined that covid gouging and scalping were prices that customers would accept forever, so this was just the new normal. And that they'll have to ratchet down to more like "+10-20% above pre-pandemic" rather than double.

The problem is that everything for sale right now was built during the pandemic-related inflated prices. This is less bad for CPUs and the like (because the companies have long-standing supply contracts for everything), but the motherboard makers and the like got hit really hard, because a motherboard contains approximately a zillion small parts that they typically just buy from suppliers JIT and suddenly all of those quadrupled in price. The big problem with AM5 currently is definitely the motherboards, but AMD can't really lean on their partners because they are not gouging, they just legitimately paid through the nose to build the things and now they aren't even selling at effectively zero margin prices.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 20, 2022

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Eeeeh I could see a ~$70 AM5 mobo being near 0 profit but even the cheaper B650 ones are still hovering around $150-160. Down a bit from launch high but still higher than it should be for the entry level mobos.

Plenty are around $250-300 with specs and features that you'd normally expect on something that cost around $50-100 less.

And that is before you get to the reeeeeeally stupidly priced $400+ stuff.

I don't doubt mobo vendor production prices went up but I also don't doubt they're being price gougy right now either. Its pretty obvious to see this when you compare vs similar featured Intel mobos. And there isn't anything special about AM5 vs LGA1700 mobos either.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Klyith posted:

OTOH the 4090 seems to be selling fine so maybe the :homebrew: audience is still going strong.

Top of stack pricing I think will always be ridiculous and I think the GPU market will detach permamently from the CPU market in terms of how much prices go up each generation. The other kicker is that for the average home user who wants to game there's very little reason to upgrade if you bought in the last 3-4 years, and doesn't look like much reason for some time to come.

e: actually I have no idea why I would wait for expensive hypothetical X3D cards. I game at 4k and the reality is that nothing more powerful than a 5600x produces anything more than marginal 1% gains.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 20, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
More and more people are realizing paying the 3/4 digit price of admission to play AAA games isn't worth it anymore versus watching them on streaming for $0. Me included.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

miles morales launched on PC over the weekend - apparently CPU bottlenecked for the 4090 if you have anything older than the current gen CPUs

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

miles morales launched on PC over the weekend - apparently CPU bottlenecked for the 4090 if you have anything older than the current gen CPUs
Or maybe it's just poorly optimized.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

I've been thinking for a while how consoles falling back to 30fps, which they are absolutely doing right now, could make 60fps hard to hit on PC.

The consoles increasingly don't have the GPU for 60fps, as seen in Plague Tale and the other current gen exclusives. If they aren't targeting 60fps, why not use the whole available 16ms of CPU time? The problem is, the fastest PC CPUs are barely around twice as fast as the basic console CPUs, so we could potentially see top-end CPUs necessary just to get to 60.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That Matrix UE5 demo was CPU intensive, right?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's been an obvious potential problem since the announcement of this generation. It wouldn't bother me much if games were using the power for cool mechanical stuff like better AI and more complex systems, but it seems to just be going to garbage.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

we're still stuck in the transition period of cross-gen games so who knows how something like GTA6 is going to run on consoles and PCs

i've been enjoying god of war ragnorak on the PS5 but drat do the claustrophic environments make it obvious it's a PS4 game

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The spider-man games on PC have pretty high crowd densities and lots of objects to account for when turning on ray tracing. It's also really heavy on the data streaming side of things. All of these things hit the CPU pretty hard, but I won't say that it can't be better optimized. Maybe they can patch the games to take advantage of DirectStorage 1.1/Nvidia's new GDeflate compression scheme to reduce the burden on the CPU for data streaming.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the solution for me is always to play the shitton other good games i have and play the latest unoptimized AAA jank when I upgrade my pc 5 years later and can get them for $5 on steam and run at 160fps :v:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
discounts might be a temporary black friday type thing, to make things more confusing

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1595057870390820867

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're also not very good deals, and in many cases (in the US at least) the total platform prices are worse now than they were last week.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The non-X pricing looks much more competitive. It seems like the 7700 is going to entirely squeeze out the 7600X, why would anybody buy the 7600X if the 7700 lands at $329?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kliras posted:

discounts might be a temporary black friday type thing, to make things more confusing

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1595057870390820867

I suspect limited time should be read as “Please buy the single CCD chips before the ones better for gaming come out”

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

loving hell. The 7950X is 650€ instead of 850€ now. That's a decent rebate, when only temporary.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I know it's hard to predict, but will there be noticeable difference between 7700 and 7700x3d in real life 1440p+ high details comparison? I saw some benchmark for 4090 and in 1440p difference between 13gen i9 and 5800x3d in 12 games was 6% for the fastest Intel. In 4k the difference was 3%. I feel like benchmarks are too fixed on high FPS fullHD eSports titles, or maybe it's just my usecase.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

alex314 posted:

I know it's hard to predict, but will there be noticeable difference between 7700 and 7700x3d in real life 1440p+ high details comparison? I saw some benchmark for 4090 and in 1440p difference between 13gen i9 and 5800x3d in 12 games was 6% for the fastest Intel. In 4k the difference was 3%. I feel like benchmarks are too fixed on high FPS fullHD eSports titles, or maybe it's just my usecase.

I mean, it depends. For example, if you play factorio…

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17601/intel-core-i9-13900k-and-i5-13600k-review/10

I’ve been playing DSP on my 5800x3d and the UPS just doesn’t drop there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, wat hobbes said

i play DSP a lot and stellaris with friends sometimes and i'm on a 3950x right now but i'm seriously considering sidegrading to 5800x3d because a) i no longer regularly require that much cpu power and b) stellaris performance difference between 5800x and 5800x3d is over 110% lmfao