Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rationale posted:

Have you finished that toilet yet

Have you cooked any doughnuts in yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
No

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I'm not totally surprised that a person would randomly inherit a decrepit old building with no commercial value and try to find a way to monetize it despite it being a laughable boondoggle of an idea.

I am surprised that the person doing this is themselves in the trades and thus, of anyone, should absolutely know better?! Have you not worked on projects where you're just shaking your head, pissing away time and billing thousands upon thousands of dollars to make somebody's absurd, impractical, ludicrously over-valued dream come true? :shrug:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rationale posted:

gently caress all that you need to make a spreadsheet or two before you’re qualified to jimmy the shitter

Maybe not a spreadsheet but I at least measure the bits and write it down before I go to the store.

Unless... you know, I was trying to start a plumbing business. Then I'd make a spreadsheet about shitter jimmying.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Nice. I would eat this donuts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

those look pretty good op :cheers:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nice! W2G! How do they taste?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 20, 2022

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Those look delicious.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Found your coffee cups

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101213450/goatse-mug

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Lookin good. That one on the top right is perfect

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

CarForumPoster posted:

Nice! W2G! How do they taste?

The doughnuts themselves are so-so I’m just about over self-rising flour.

Wife made custard that came out really nice. I’ve bought worse custard.

These cost like 12.5 cents. I bet raised rings are cheaper.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Self-rising flour isn't making your donuts worse or better, it's just unnecessarily expensive. If you want to be concerned with your flour, start thinking about protein %. The main problem with those donuts is that plain cake donuts just intrinsically suck

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rationale posted:

Don’t forget to factor in the labour cost

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Anne Whateley posted:

plain cake donuts just intrinsically suck

Wh

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Anne Whateley posted:

Self-rising flour isn't making your donuts worse or better, it's just unnecessarily expensive. If you want to be concerned with your flour, start thinking about protein %. The main problem with those donuts is that plain cake donuts just intrinsically suck

plain cake is my favorite donut type lol :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
With no flavor and no glaze or toppings?? congrats you're eating bread

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rudager posted:

Don’t forget to factor in the labour cost

There are loads of costs other than the raw ingredients that the OP hasn’t considered, this is how businesses go under: they look at cost of sales and gross profit instead of net profit. These donuts will cost very much more than he thinks to produce after all other costs, which would be shaken out in a decent business plan.

Added to the fact that they are still boring and poo poo, so the finished donuts will need to cost a lot more to make a decent product that people will buy.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Ban this fucker for not knowing what bread is

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

The doughnuts themselves are so-so I’m just about over self-rising flour.

Wife made custard that came out really nice. I’ve bought worse custard.

Including oil? You gotta change oil a lot

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Quickbread obviously

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Quickbread obviously

You can’t talk, you’re dead.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

I love bread tho

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Anne Whateley posted:

They're not especially sweet cakes, get outta here!

Rationale posted:

I bet they aren't, considering you have to buy yeast. Cake donut mix has its leaveners already in it

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes that's why they are the best

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Really it’ll be like .6 to .75 for a donut and 1 to 1.25 for a latte

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Have you gotten anyone to look at t he spro machine yet?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Rationale posted:

Wife is filing the papers and she said she’ll name everything after herself if I don’t come up with a cool name in like a week does anyone have any cool names I can use?

One for the property and one for the business.

Deze Donuts [Inc.]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rationale posted:

With prices like that you’ll only need 35 customers an hour, every hour, eight hours a day, every day except Christmas, to gross 200k!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I for one am grateful that OP learned to fry a donut.

Rationale posted:

Lmfao.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I mean that’s what it’s gonna cost me to make the shits.

Suppose I sell a nice donut and a latte for $5 that’s about $3 margin and a better value than you’ll find most places.

200 orders a day like that and I’ll be making good money

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rationale posted:

That’s COGS though, right? This is only the raw materials, and doesn’t include any of your other variable costs, or the fixed cost that would go into a P/L.

Seriously, this is how businesses fail: by focusing entirely on the sale price less the cost of raw materials, you think you’re going to be making loads of money, but you need to sit down and work out (with your most pessimistic worst-case-scenario hat on) how much it will actually cost and how many you need to sell to reach break even.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
OP has a secret goal of making restaurant impossible in 2 years.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Im sorry I should have specified those unit costs are after the whole everything including a $20 baker or barista. Of course, labor costs involve letter math but if we’re all kickin rear end in there it’s gonna be .6-.75 for a doughnut and 1-1.25 for a latte.

I figure the first thousand dollars in sales each day will feed the beast and after that I’m making my margins. This derived from a $640 daily labor bill and the utility bills I find for similar enterprises. I don’t plan on hiring six people for opening day, though, so my overhead won’t outrun my business.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Rationale posted:

I mean that’s what it’s gonna cost me to make the shits.

Suppose I sell a nice donut and a latte for $5 that’s about $3 margin and a better value than you’ll find most places.

200 orders a day like that and I’ll be making good money

Buddy, you’ll be lucky to get 200 a week coming into that shithole

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Where are you getting these numbers from?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Where are you getting these numbers from?

See his avatar for artistic interpretation

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Rationale posted:

If I open and operate with cash money then yeah, the worst that can happen is it fails and I close and take donuts to every party I attend for the rest of my life. The dire warnings I’ve been getting are like “it’s a lot of work” and “you have to use commercial equipment “ which both go without saying really.

I posted this and forgot about it, 33 pages later and good lord this thread is good. Thank you for your updates OP, don't stop!

Let me rephrase the question.

Once you open and are maybe two weeks in and run out of cash, what are you going to do? Close after just two weeks? Or will you convince yourself to maybe dig into your savings "just for a bit" in order to "give the business a chance"?

What is the hard line where you will agree to abandon the donut idea and move onto something else? Are you emotionally/mentally capable of walking away once you run out of cash in the short term?

I also noticed you are doing this to "spend more time with your kids"

What would enable you to have more family time: A food business which requires someone(you mostly) to be there 12-18 hours a day for the first 2-6 months(incredibly optimistic here, most likely much longer) OR passive income from a rental property?

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 21, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Have you gotten a quote to grade and pave that lot for parking and a drive through? How much does that cost? I have no idea. You need to find out, because it doesn't matter how cheap your donuts are, no one is going to drive up around a grass perimeter to get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rationale posted:

Im sorry I should have specified those unit costs are after the whole everything including a $20 baker or barista. Of course, labor costs involve letter math but if we’re all kickin rear end in there it’s gonna be .6-.75 for a doughnut and 1-1.25 for a latte.

I figure the first thousand dollars in sales each day will feed the beast and after that I’m making my margins. This derived from a $640 daily labor bill and the utility bills I find for similar enterprises. I don’t plan on hiring six people for opening day, though, so my overhead won’t outrun my business.
It's cool and good you want to pay your workers $20/hr, but you know it's not like $20/hr and that's the end, right? Like, besides the $20, you're also on the hook for FICA and unemployment, plus you probably want to give them sick days, training, certification, workers' comp, insurance, etc. The only way $20/hr = $20/hr is under the table, which is A, illegal, and B, not in line with your goal of treating employees ethically

https://www.sba.gov/blog/how-much-does-employee-cost-you