Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Beef short rib pho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
bone-in soup

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

bone-in soup

The best kind.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nesamdoom posted:

That looks awesome. I would need to take a nibble to check if I was eating something horrid before diving in.

coward

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All day in the crock pot, plus reheating some bakery French bread to go with it and copious amounts of butter.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Shakshuka!

I had a bunch of potatoes so I cubed them and added them to the mix instead of cooking rice. I actually might prefer it this way.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I've neglected posting here for a while. Feel like I should correct that.

Prawn and bacon pasta tossed in a beurre blanc with sweet red peppers and capers, and garlic grilled ciabatta.

Chicken, cheese and heutlacoche quesadilla.

Garlic, chilli and prawn fried rice, fried egg and sriracha.

Southern fried turkey breast sandwich, homemade skin-on fries.

Beef bourguignon, buttered veg, roast garlic and spring onion mash.

Jamaican brown pork stew, coconut rice with spring onion, rosemary, thyme and bacon black eyed peas.

Chilli and dill salmon, garlic and pink pepper broccoli, charred onion.

Chipotle-marinaded chicken; leek, dwarf beans, baby sprouts and peas tossed in a chilli, mint and lemon sauce;

Chicken and chickpea red pepper and coconut curry with lemon and herb rice.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Needed to keep myself busy today with some bad news, so decided to take some time in the kitchen and make a trio of curries.

------------------------

Chaat-style chicken curry - tangy, bright, and a little bit of chilli heat.

Yellow split pea and red lentil daal-style curry - really thick, luscious and warming.

Cinnamon, honey, spice and almond marinated pork belly skewers.

Garlic and mushroom rice.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Simple dinner with a trial run on my mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving:

Pan seared salmon with mashed potatoes and sautéed asparagus.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At first I thought you made a gloopy bernaise. But the potatoes look good!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

At first I thought you made a gloopy bernaise. But the potatoes look good!

Very rich and creamy mashed potatoes with an unhealthy amount of cream and butter. I personally prefer mashed potatoes a little chunkier, but family always loves the creamy stuff for the holidays.

I started by sautéing some garlic in butter and then added 2 cups of cream along with two sprigs of rosemary. I let this simmer for about 30 minutes while I prepped and boiled the potatoes. I used a ricer on the potatoes and then added more butter, most but not all of the strained & infused cream, salt, white pepper, nutritional yeast and chives. Infusing the cream goes a long ways for flavor and I really liked the addition of the nutritional yeast. It gives that slightly nutty and cheesy flavor without affecting the texture of the potatoes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Aligot is where it’s at

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Aligot is where it’s at

oh god yes. finally mashed potatoes that understand me.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Olpainless posted:

I've neglected posting here for a while. Feel like I should correct that.

Prawn and bacon pasta tossed in a beurre blanc with sweet red peppers and capers, and garlic grilled ciabatta.

Chicken, cheese and heutlacoche quesadilla.

Garlic, chilli and prawn fried rice, fried egg and sriracha.

Southern fried turkey breast sandwich, homemade skin-on fries.

Beef bourguignon, buttered veg, roast garlic and spring onion mash.

Jamaican brown pork stew, coconut rice with spring onion, rosemary, thyme and bacon black eyed peas.

Chilli and dill salmon, garlic and pink pepper broccoli, charred onion.

Chipotle-marinaded chicken; leek, dwarf beans, baby sprouts and peas tossed in a chilli, mint and lemon sauce;

Chicken and chickpea red pepper and coconut curry with lemon and herb rice.

This post is delicious

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
pizza night

burrata salad

feta, maitake, red onion, basil, moz

sopressata, moz, basil, chiltepin, honey

moz, maitake, red onion, sopressata, pistachio,

not pictured a mortadella and pistachio pizza that was very tasty

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Incredible-looking 'zas

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also pizza, but from a pan and a regular home oven

Anchovy, capers and basil leaves

Lotta ham, parsley and kalamata olives

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Whole lot of good pizza on this page.

... I fried some chicken. Hot sauce wings, and mini fillets, with sriracha mayo to go with the wings.

(The wife wasn't feeling spice today, so two different batches makes sense. )

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Olpainless posted:

Whole lot of good pizza on this page.

... I fried some chicken. Hot sauce wings, and mini fillets, with sriracha mayo to go with the wings.

(The wife wasn't feeling spice today, so two different batches makes sense. )

loving nice!
Recipe?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

I like cooking and tonight I made a seasonal/end-of-fall-garden pile of food.

Sweet potatoes, roasted in high heat, mashed with butter, garden rosemary & sage, and a splash each of soy sauce, maple syrup, and cognac; sautéed chanterelles foraged on Saturday; garden figs from my espaliered container tree; roasted chestnuts; pears drizzled with local fireweed honey; pomegranate seeds; fresh bread; oven roasted chicken thighs with crispy skin (rendered skin side down with salt in cast iron, then roasted with the chestnuts at 400° until separated from the bone).

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Derek of the Andes posted:

loving nice!
Recipe?

Plenty (heaped teaspoon) of onion powder, garlic powder, black and white pepper, salt, and either MSG or nutritional yeast if you've got it; 3 heaped teaspoons of your favourite herb mix (mine is thyme, parsley, oregano, a little sage) in with your flour for the dredge. Also added some of my home recipe chilli powder for mine - again, about a heaped teaspoon.

Beat an egg for the binding layer, mix in a decent amount of some good hot sauce to your taste for the binding layer. Dredge chicken, and fry at about 160!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Food looks amazing.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Venus clam spaghetti, XO garlic butter and white wine sauce, gochujang crumb.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Raikiri posted:

Venus clam spaghetti, XO garlic butter and white wine sauce, gochujang crumb.

:five:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mongolian beef. Without bell peppers, the way I like it. Flank steak was $7.99 a pound, it was a foregone conclusion.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 20, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mongolian beef. Without bell peppers, the way I like it. Flank steak was $7.99 a pound, it was a foregone conclusion.

That looks really good, what’s your recipe? I love bell peppers but I need recipes that still work without them because I cook for people who don’t

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

That looks really good, what’s your recipe? I love bell peppers but I need recipes that still work without them because I cook for people who don’t

My wife used to hate bell peppers and I asked if she ever had them roasted. She hadn’t and I made them for her and she actually liked them. Then for a while I could cook with them as long as they were roasted red peppers. She just started eating them unroasted :devil:

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Bell peppers are great, I can't understand people that don't like them in food but enjoy bell pepper flavors in red wine like cab franc

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 21, 2022

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 21, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bell peppers are fine, I just don't like them in Mongolian Beef. Indeed, it would be blasphemy if I made gumbo without bell peppers! The best Mongolian Beef I ever had was just straight white and spring onions, and now that's how I like it.

DC Murderverse posted:

Made With Lau recipe, and then I just subbed out the bell peppers for more onions, used Lao Gan Ma (the crispy kind) instead of chili sauce.

edit: Also some leftover half-shallots remaining from other cooking earlier in the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9E6HPZurmE
https://www.madewithlau.com/recipes/mongolian-beef

edit: Cheesesteak sandwiches with the other half of the flank steak:

I uh. Demolished the first one before I remembered to take the photo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 23, 2022

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This really does look great.

thetan_guy42 posted:

Bell peppers are great, I can't understand people that don't like them in food but enjoy bell pepper flavors in red wine like cab franc

Bell peppers are an ingredient that very much wants to be the dominant flavour, so they can definitely overpower or unbalance a dish.

I love them though. Gimme them peppers.

... this wasn't peppers, but it was tasty. Finally picked up some sodium citrate, so I made modernist mac and cheese, with gammon steak, buttered leeks, and smoked garlic and truffle oil panini.

I am now entirely convinced sodium citrate is literal magic and plan to explore more; including something with a decent pepper cheese.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

We had someone eat so much they puked last night. So I guess the food was good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s always good when people throw up after eating your food.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The food was so good at my thanksgiving that every single person who attended ate so much they puked, 8 hours later.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

We’re bringing back the vomitorium at my house!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My house also has an entrance/exit

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

On Sundays I forego an actual dinner and just eat junk food while watching Sunday Night Football.

Homemade soft pretzels and beer cheese dip.

Mondays are leftover night so I made a shepherd's pie with some turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.

Cheap canned cranberry sauce is better than homemade and nothing can change my mind.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Quiet Feet posted:

Cheap canned cranberry sauce is better than homemade and nothing can change my mind.

Dad is that you???

For most of my life dad loves that canned cranberry crap so mom or me would always make two cranberry sauces - one actually good and one can-shaped.

Dad’s a very adventurous eater otherwise, but that particular bit of boomer childhood stuck with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

There's absolutely nothing wrong with canned cranberry sauce. It's sweet, it's tart, it's gelatinous. I think there's a place for both it and the homemade stuff, to which you can add things like orange and cardamom (like we did this year) or rosemary or pomegranate or whatever your heart desires. All cranberry sauce is good.