Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1594523846773727232?s=20&t=mLYRvthJPHyqploK2GmjKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Deadline are reporting it too.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh god WDWNT is going to be a nightmare.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So what really hosed up story is about to come to light because that's completely out of nowhere.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
This is very good for the parks yeah?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I can only see this as good news for Disney. Chapek has literally chapped the rear end of every possible customer since coming into power. Iger isn't perfect but he certainly isn't as bad as Chapek

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I guess charging $25 a pop for Rise of the Resistance was the last straw for Iger :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They did say there were going to be a lot of layoffs for the lower Q3 :v:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Beat it dweeb

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bottom Liner posted:

They did say there were going to be a lot of layoffs for the lower Q3 :v:

:drat:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/scottgustin/status/1594524102215274496?s=46&t=NZLujsEpUY_HWB1WQOFHuQ

The Michael Jordan "I'm back" statement

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I doubt it’ll happen but I hope they end up changing a ton of the bad price gouging decisions of the last couple years. Disney fans have a ton of goodwill towards Disney, but Chapeks goal clearly was to test its limit by nickel and dimming everything and making a lot of experiences worse.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Iger is Tyrion at the end of Game of Thrones. Your punishment is solving the problems you previously created.

Gonna have to cut CM pay a little more to afford the golden parachute, though.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 21, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh they’re absolutely going to keep doing evil Disney nickel and dining things, Iger is just better at covering it in pixie dust and has all the goodwill that Chapek doesn’t.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Iger sucks

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Can’t wait to see Chapek’s severance package. Probably 65 million or so assuming they payout all the stock.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Crazy.

Less so that Bob is out. More so that Bob is back.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Guess it's good they never changed the Golden mickey video on dcl to replace iger yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's why he's back. It was cheaper than a reshoot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

That's why he's back. It was cheaper than a reshoot.

Somewhere, Michael Eisner is introducing us to the Superstar Limo.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/tomkmorris/status/1594534898982797312?s=46&t=MlFBHigYCBnMLpfn1IPhog

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I heard a rumor a week ago that there was legitimate discussions with Universal to acquire the Marvel rights back in return for park usage rights to the The Simpsons and something else but they fell apart. Apparently Universals plan is/was to do a massive rethene of IOA once EU opens. Wonder if this is related to it.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

This was unexpected. Curious to see how Wall Street reacts. Was chapek setup to be a fall guy? Will have to see what Iger ends up actually changing if anything.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:hellyeah:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Disney war is gonna need a sequel after this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The video I posted last page explains pretty well how many of the issues with the Disney Parks today actually started under Iger. He definitely isn't good, but he at least does seem to take more of a "hands off" approach to the parks, aka letting people more in-tune with them handle things, vs. Chapek who was very clearly trying to exploit and extract as much as possible out of them while understanding nothing about them.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

worms butthole guy posted:

I heard a rumor a week ago that there was legitimate discussions with Universal to acquire the Marvel rights back in return for park usage rights to the The Simpsons and something else but they fell apart. Apparently Universals plan is/was to do a massive rethene of IOA once EU opens. Wonder if this is related to it.

I have heard something similar but I doubt it's related (unless Chapek was about to sell the farm or something ridiculous)

Could be related to how much money D+ is burning

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh they’re absolutely going to keep doing evil Disney nickel and dining things, Iger is just better at covering it in pixie dust and has all the goodwill that Chapek doesn’t.

maybe from some folks. I'm hoping bob 1 goes the gently caress away just like bob 2 just did. Let someone else ruin the parks for a while god drat it.

E:

Bottom Liner posted:

So what really hosed up story is about to come to light because that's completely out of nowhere.

Small world really is made of children and Chapek was found eating one late one evening so they just couldn't let that go on.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I hope he brings back shipping from park to resort, brings back annual passes, and brings back extra magic hours for resort guests.

Obviously, I would rather go back to the superior Fast Pass system, and remove park reservations, but that's not gonna happen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

I hope he brings back shipping from park to resort, brings back annual passes, and brings back extra magic hours for resort guests.

Obviously, I would rather go back to the superior Fast Pass system, and remove park reservations, but that's not gonna happen.

I could see park reservations going away in 2024 or 2025. FP won't come back and I agree I'd rather have it back. I'd be shocked if we don't have AP available after the run disney event in january.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Am I the only one who doesn't have fond memories of the old FP system? Not saying G+ is much better, by any means, but the other one was flawed in its own stupid ways

alg
Mar 14, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't have fond memories of the old FP system? Not saying G+ is much better, by any means, but the other one was flawed in its own stupid ways

For us, only going once a year, knowing we had all the rides we wanted before we went on our trip was way better than stressing out each morning, sitting on our phones all day, trying to make sure we have a good time.

edit: also it was free

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m excited for my vacation, but it was definitely a bummer trying to plan my first park trip in ~20 years and being like ‘oh, there’s no magical express anymore’, ‘oh theres’s no sending stuff to your hotel anymore’, ‘oh, there’s no dining plan anymore’.

I didn’t even have fond memories of the fastpass era or whatever, but it felt like a lot of expected convenience perks were missing without a reduction in price.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

For us, only going once a year, knowing we had all the rides we wanted before we went on our trip was way better than stressing out each morning, sitting on our phones all day, trying to make sure we have a good time.

edit: also it was free

For the first timer that doesn't know the ins and outs of Disney's convoluted systems, they might just show up and be unable to ride any E tickets at all without dedicating half a day to waiting in line.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well good news! Dining plan rarely worked out as saving you money unless you ordered the most expensive thing possible every time you ate, so you're saving money anyway!

couldcareless posted:

I loved the 2012 version of it which Paris had until recently. I'm the kind of idiot who will absolutely spend his day sprinting around the park trying to grab fastpasses on the way to the ride I've got my window for now, so I recognise that not everyone else wants to use Disney as cardio.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

couldcareless posted:

For the first timer that doesn't know the ins and outs of Disney's convoluted systems, they might just show up and be unable to ride any E tickets at all without dedicating half a day to waiting in line.

Yeah, I get that, but that's not me...and the same could be said of Genie+ and Lightning Lane. The idea of spending all that money on a vacation and not doing simple research to see what is required is kinda crazy to me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anecdotal, but I've at least found rides that have had totally unreasonable queues prior to G+ being much easier to wait in. I waited in FoP standby at least 3 times in the last couple of years and didn't want to blow my brains out. That said, this evidence is likely tainted from most of my trips since G+ being in covid era.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

Yeah, I get that, but that's not me...and the same could be said of Genie+ and Lightning Lane. The idea of spending all that money on a vacation and not doing simple research to see what is required is kinda crazy to me.
Back in 2012 we winged it. In 2014 we assumed we knew what was up based on previous experience and ended up having barely any fastpasses and not really using them in the end. In 2022 we knew all there was to know and picked what worked for us.

Honestly the worst part about Fastpass+ and Genie+ is the expectation that you want to spend your holiday on your phone. I stare at screens all day for work, I want to not stare at screens when I'm not working.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I mean poo poo just bring back normal park hopping and you need a generic "reservation" and it's something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Anecdotal, but I've at least found rides that have had totally unreasonable queues prior to G+ being much easier to wait in. I waited in FoP standby at least 3 times in the last couple of years and didn't want to blow my brains out. That said, this evidence is likely tainted from most of my trips since G+ being in covid era.

Iirc you've also always been very anti-G+/FP+/"line skipping" perks stuff, yeah?

For me, being the medical wasteland that I am, being able to pre-plan my trip in the most circular way possible by getting FP+ 60 days out was always a huge perk. DAS is great, but it leaves me with empty time sometimes. And there's not a lot of disabled-friendly seating these days.

Tim Whatley posted:

I mean poo poo just bring back normal park hopping and you need a generic "reservation" and it's something

I would be stone-cold dead shocked if normal park hopping is not back by the same time APs pop back up.