Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Something I noticed while doing some testing with it is that despite not being as explodey as the bolter lasgun wounds are pretty gnarly up close.

A headshot will crack open the skull and expose brain, torso and gut shots will leave ribs and organs exposed etc, its pretty gnarly.

Perhaps grim, maybe dark. You just don't usually notice because of the pace of the game.

The warp staves eat away at people corrosively with their primary hits, it looks real messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah i mentioned it earlier but genuinely if you're veteran or psyker try the accatran, its incredible how fast the firerate is and how pinpoint accurate it remains the entire time. It doesn't do quite the full dps of the braced autogun at close range but its nsuper consistent in doing taht damage at every range.

The second variant that has even faster firerate is hardly less accurate for it and just sounds like a buzzsaw, it rules.
I think the Accatran is Veteran exclusive, right? But yeah, from watching Beaglerush's stream that gun seems amazing; It's pretty much the closest thing to a hotshot lasgun right now.

Edit: He's using the plasma gun right now and that thing owns bones but seems really hard to use well; pretty much need a coordinated team for it to do work, but man does it do a lot of work

Exodee fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 21, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Something I noticed while doing some testing with it is that despite not being as explodey as the bolter lasgun wounds are pretty gnarly up close.

A headshot will crack open the skull and expose brain, torso and gut shots will leave ribs and organs exposed etc, its pretty gnarly.

Perhaps grim, maybe dark. You just don't usually notice because of the pace of the game.

Psyker staff bolts will do the same, the area will glow blue and when it fades the part will be burnt away to exposed flesh.

Orv posted:

The warp staves eat away at people corrosively with their primary hits, it looks real messed up.

What he said.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Orv posted:

I feel like we might be operating on different definitions of single-target here? The chain sword and dagger light attacks definitely aren’t in my book. Not to be pedantic about it, just thinking it through.

AFAIK every melee weapon does stumble damage to surrounding enemies. The chainsword that I have damages a single enemy while stumbling the others, same with the dagger :shrug:

Exodee posted:

It's really not that accurate; try hitting the skab gunner or mauler from the other side of the Psychkanium room and like 90% of your shots will miss.

edit: and this is on the Veteran with his ultimate active too, though I forgot if that boosted accuracy or not. Something like the headhunter or even the shotgun will kill that skab gunner much much faster at range.

Are the same weapons maybe different across classes? I recorded this immediately after reading your post, on a Zealot, with a level 4 Braced Autogun.

https://i.imgur.com/8R0OljH.mp4

But this is also silly because in any real-world situation I'd be sprinting forward meleeing and only shooting when a heavy melee special is barreling down on me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I enjoy that unless I’m revving it up or doing charged attack, more often than not a headshot with an eviscerator will crush their skull in instead of cutting it off. Which makes sense given it’s only technically a sword.

Meanwhile charged attacks cut almost everything clean in half at the waist. :black101:

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

AFAIK every melee weapon does stumble damage to surrounding enemies. The chainsword that I have damages a single enemy while stumbling the others, same with the dagger :shrug:

There’s no way this is the case I don’t think.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are the same weapons maybe different across classes? I recorded this immediately after reading your post, on a Zealot, with a level 4 Braced Autogun.
https://i.imgur.com/8R0OljH.mp4
I mean, doesn't that gif kinda prove the point? You're doing tiny amounts of damage really slowly, while with my headhunter I can two/three tap them at that same range with some headshots. (or just bolter them in the torso twice and explode them lol)

Edit: Just to put this to rest, here's the bolter in action on difficulty 4, and yes this is on my main which is a Zealot
https://i.imgur.com/CSbyXT3.mp4

Exodee fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 21, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sharkopath posted:

The lore reasoning behind lasgun wounds is that the laser energy superheats your fluids and causes basically a steam explosion at the point of impact if you nail someone with a direct hit. That and the initial charge up heating the ozone enough to cause a krack sound gives them a much cooler vibe than just a lil laser gun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Exodee posted:

I think the Accatran is Veteran exclusive, right? But yeah, from watching Beaglerush's stream that gun seems amazing; It's pretty much the closest thing to a hotshot lasgun right now.

Edit: He's using the plasma gun right now and that thing owns bones but seems really hard to use well; pretty much need a coordinated team for it to do work, but man does it do a lot of work

Psyker gets it too past the halfway of their leveling, its just you'd probably rather use the staffs instead I reckon.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is the accatran the laser machine gun? Because in the hands of someone who can left click good it's like playing with a good VT2 elf

Orv
May 4, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is the accatran the laser machine gun? Because in the hands of someone who can left click good it's like playing with a good VT2 elf

It is yeah. It has two variants, lots of dakka and all the dakka.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright I'm onboard with putting power level requirements on level 3+.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright I'm onboard with putting power level requirements on level 3+.

At least a guide would be nice, but I assume that will be a full game thing since we are still guinea pigs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I gotta say, despite how insanely difficult level 3 is, I actually won each time I played it by the skin of my teeth, it’s a really white knuckle experience lol.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tier 3 difficulty should probably require level 5 at minimum for public matchmaking

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I will say the arbitrary numbers on some of the weapons feel kind of bad, but I also no longer remember what the leveling experience was like in VT2. I do feel like a lot of weapons (both ranged and melee) just don't kill basics in a single hit, or else the death animation takes so long to play it just feels like that. I shouldn't need to nail every headshot to kill the game's basic units. Anything tougher, sure, but I should be able to reliably one shot trash with just about any weapon.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
people are just dropping the map that has you scanning for plague residue lol

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The elites don't want you to know this, but you can tag them and they will glow bright red for your entire team and then they'll mysteriously die.

You can press the tag button as much as you want, I have tagged 3,772 enemies

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Game still doesn't run great but going down to 6 worker threads via launcher (based on some ancient VT2 forum post) is a night and day improvement in smoothness and consistent fps over the default 13 for my 5800X3D.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
After days of no problems, I can no longer make it through a single mission without crashing as of a a few hours ago. Verified, did a fresh reinstall, refreshed all of my graphical settings, tried all of the remedies Fatshark posted. Nothing worked.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

After days of no problems, I can no longer make it through a single mission without crashing as of a a few hours ago. Verified, did a fresh reinstall, refreshed all of my graphical settings, tried all of the remedies Fatshark posted. Nothing worked.

Do you have any overlays enabled? Steam, GeForce Now, Discord. I've noticed any of them cause me crashes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Whoever mentioned that the force swords for psyker absolutely chump assassination bosses (I know that was like an hour ago, I'm sorry!) lmao yes, yes they do.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Orv posted:

Whoever mentioned that the force swords for psyker absolutely chump assassination bosses (I know that was like an hour ago, I'm sorry!) lmao yes, yes they do.

Hitting the special and then light attacking is very fast and hits hard as poo poo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems like lots of people trying to make the jump from level 2 to level 3. The amount of carrying I need to do to get through a match is amazing, lol.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

terrorist ambulance posted:

people are just dropping the map that has you scanning for plague residue lol

I get noticeably lower FPS on that map compared to any of the others, and it’s the only map I’ve crashed out of multiple times. It has technical issues that need to be addressed.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Do you have any overlays enabled? Steam, GeForce Now, Discord. I've noticed any of them cause me crashes.

I've had all of my overlays turned off since the beta started. Just closed anything running in the background and had another CTD.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right now the biggest difference maker for FPS on my machine is ray tracing. Having it on has the action dip to 30fps or lower on a 3070 with an i5 8400, and off gets me around 60 fps on the capital ship (haven’t ran a mission with it off yet though)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

I've had all of my overlays turned off since the beta started. Just closed anything running in the background and had another CTD.

Can you / have you tried turning of RT and DLSS? If you have an ultrawide monitor, disable GSYNC.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Can you / have you tried turning of RT and DLSS? If you have an ultrawide monitor, disable GSYNC.

I have an AMD card. Weird stuff happened. Fidelity FX got turned off while Chill Mode got turned on. Don't know if I fat-fingered something or what, but that might have been doing it. I just made it through a mission no problem for the first time tonight.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Seems like lots of people trying to make the jump from level 2 to level 3. The amount of carrying I need to do to get through a match is amazing, lol.

Difficulty 3 is probably always going to be a huge loving nightmare to run with pubbies, especially early on, since it's broadly gonna be the hardcap for people who don't wanna learn how to do proper horde management or that running off on your own won't just get you killed, but could just lead right to a wipe.

A great litmus test for a pubbie being awful is if, when they get to a drop off point of no return spot, they just jump straight down and don't wait to make sure someone else is following behind them.

Overall I'm enjoying my time, though my one tiny gripe is that I can almost mirror my VT2 keybinds exactly, but while you can bind pinging enemies to mouse wheel up it doesn't actually do anything when you try it. I'm so used to idly scrolling up to make sure enemies get highlighted because even the friends I ran Cata with were awful at it, and now it's slightly more annoying to do.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Magitek posted:

I get noticeably lower FPS on that map compared to any of the others, and it’s the only map I’ve crashed out of multiple times. It has technical issues that need to be addressed.

I've never had problems with Hab Dreyko, but the other scan map (Vigil Station Oblivium) I've twice had my whole team disconnect at the end, during/after the hacking encounter. Luckily I was always able to reconnect in time and I think everyone else did too

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.
Is there a way to tell which missions have dregs or scabs as the enemy type or is it random? Quickplay has given me scabs for the past three missions when of course I need dregs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Murder Noveau posted:

Is there a way to tell which missions have dregs or scabs as the enemy type or is it random? Quickplay has given me scabs for the past three missions when of course I need dregs.

Pretty sure it’s random. I’ve never noticed any indicators anywhere.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

field balm posted:

Hopefully crafting unlocks soon? Or is that a launchday thing?

sounds like they're aiming to have crafting in at release or shortly after

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just had a game where near the end I dced, then on reconnect clipped through the entire stage, crashed, and did not get any reward from the mission.

Game is real fun but man I hope they hammer out the crash bugs during the beta period.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Heavy Stubber is life.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
anybody else on ATT Fiber internet not able to play this game?

even if I manage to get into a mission, it is extremely laggy and desynced before it either inevitably crashes or disconnects due to some error message (usually internal_error or the handshake error)

have tried changing DNS settings, firewall settings, but nothing has fixed it

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Did fatshark say when they're gonna hotfix all the crashes? Half my team is getting multiple soft crashes and hard crashes every mission now--if they launched like this dear god it woulda been bad.

Also the void staff is literally pre nerf VT2 fireball staff--did they not learn AT ALL? Watching a fireball go through an entire horde is hilarious while i just spam it rapidly then duck back to vent or ult and do it again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arghy posted:

Did fatshark say when they're gonna hotfix all the crashes?

:baby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arghy posted:

Did fatshark say when they're gonna hotfix all the crashes? Half my team is getting multiple soft crashes and hard crashes every mission now--if they launched like this dear god it woulda been bad.

From what Ive read most of the random crashes are basically the same random GPU hang issue that they're working on, so... maybe?