Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

the_steve posted:

Lol @ the Hunter's laptop story that won't die.

"There is allegedly a laptop full of incriminating poo poo."
"The laptop doesn't exist! Witch hunt! Republicans trying to do a whataboutism! Russian propaganda!"
"Ok, so the laptop exists and has proof that Hunter did a LOT of drugs and hookers."
"Actually the laptop was hacked by conservatives and Hunter is an innocent victim."

What part of "debunked" don't you understand buddy

It was DEBOONKED. That means it's FAKE NEWS

gently caress TRUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

are you saying it’s a mistake to go to a good public like Betkeley over, like, NYU or a weak Ivy like Cornell?

Mistake is too strong a word because there are other considerations like cost and specific major. But there is no question that in terms opening doors to the networking with rich people, your average ivy grad has more access to those than your average good public school grad.

Cornell students have a median family income of 151k, 64% are from the top 20% of income distribution at admission, and 39% of graduates are in the top 5% of the income distribution by age 34.

Berkeley students have a median family income of 120k, 54% from the top 20% of the income distribution, and 31% of graduates are in the top 5% of the income distribution by age 34.

"Ah, but Cornell grads are only doing better because they start out richer on average to begin with." Yes, that is precisely the point.

Edit:
The NY Times has a nice interactive feature from the Chetty opportunity project

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/

Graph combining family income and grad income at age 34 for Ivies:

For highly selective publics

For selective (as opposed to highly selective) publics

for community colleges

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Nov 21, 2022

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nichael posted:

Yeah, they really hate if you break kayfabe and call out how stupid meeting culture is.

I didn't trust them. I kind of expected this. It's still funny.

i got blackballed by all the anarchists in this city when i started boosting the psl so i can sort of relate

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

joepinetree posted:

Mistake is too strong a word because there are other considerations like cost and specific major. But there is no question that in terms opening doors to the networking with rich people, your average ivy grad has more access to those than your average good public school grad.

Cornell students have a median family income of 151k, 64% are from the top 20% of income distribution at admission, and 39% of graduates are in the top 5% of the income distribution by age 34.

Berkeley students have a median family income of 120k, 54% from the top 20% of the income distribution, and 31% of graduates are in the top 5% of the income distribution by age 34.

"Ah, but Cornell grads are only doing better because they start out richer on average to begin with." Yes, that is precisely the point.

Edit:
The NY Times has a nice interactive feature from the Chetty opportunity project

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/

Graph combining family income and grad income at age 34 for Ivies:

For highly selective publics

For selective (as opposed to highly selective) publics

for community colleges

this is really interesting, thank you! good post.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

tristeham posted:

I could take or leave her, overall, even though I did vote for her but the demonization she catches and has had to endure for decades is off the loving chart considering she's basically just a run of the mill, normal politician that gets up to some questionable poo poo from time to time like any other one does. You honestly don't get to that level - running for president - without a few somewhat shady endeavors but good lord the right thinks she's the antichrist.

aaaaaagggghhhh

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

remembering when a d&d mod admitted that they hoped the tara reade thing would just go away and then it was revealed that he was a member of the biden campaign with a serene smile of perfect wisdom on my face

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
another successful goon project

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

The DSA finally does a rectification campaign (good) but for people who bring dirt rite soda to the polycule meet n greet.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

and I'll repeat myself yet again: this is what happens when media/social media are silo'd to the degree that "the truth" is what everyone in your own lil universe is telling you, and not anything to do with facts or evidence.

I mean, the reason the initial 2020 stories about the laptop were censored to the extent they were was because 50 intelligence agency goons said it was all made up. The store owner went to the fbi with the laptop and was rebuffed, which was why he turned to ghouliani to get the story out.

which led to the convenient excuse among libs that THE LAPTOP WAS GIVEN TO GHOULIANI, WHICH PROVES IT IS FAKE.

just reading usce I can see these 2 yr old lies repeated, but ofc there's no pushback, bc to say otherwise (ie: examine the factual events) is "playing into the hands of the enemy," "repeating crazy conspiracy tinfoil poo poo" and "trying to divert attention from much-worse trump family crimes."

i've seen a lot in cspam but people getting probed and their post edited by cspam mods for posting hunter in the bathtub owned.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

My hot take on ableism/counterrevolutionary/problematic discourse that makes any sort of leftist organizing in the US is the result of the indoctrination by universities. Conservatives are right that there is indoctrination, but they are wrong about who is doing it (its admissions committees, not professors) and the end result (destruction of any possibility of solidarity, rather than turning kids into gay communists).

Most other advanced nations have what is called a binary system of higher education. At a relatively young age, the population is divided into kids who will go to the trades and kids that will go to university. That process is highly class based, but it means that by the time you get to college admissions, you're already selected in and where you go doesn't matter. No dutch kid is losing their mind over Erasmus vs U of Amsterdam.

But in the US, that class selection mechanism happens at the college admissions process. Whether you go to an Ivy, to a private school for those who almost made it into an ivy, to a good public university, a meh public university, a regional campus or a community college will have long term repercussions for you.

It is an inherently exclusionary process. Harvard could increase the size of their incoming class tenfold and it would barely make a dent in their budget, but the point is being exclusive. But the liberals who run these institutions are deeply concerned with seeming aristocratic. So candidates have to justify their selection through personal statements, diversity statements, etc. Now, the kids of the really rich and the working class don't have to worry about it (the first because they can just make a donation, the second because they don't even know the rules of the game). But everyone from the aspiring lower middle class to the low millionaire who can't afford an 8 digit donation is socialized from an early age to think of the angle they will use for admissions. It will either be some story of personally overcoming some difficulty (frequently centered around mental health/disability because few of these people actually lack something) or being personally involved, through volunteering, in helping someone else do the same.

And of course, because all of this is in the service of getting ahead in an exclusionary system, it can't be the sort of overcoming adversity that everyone shares. You gotta be able to argue that the type of adversity you overcame is special and unique to you. And it does not end at college admissions. Because then you have your grad school admissions. And your job interview/grant application.

So from an early age, kids of this sort of class/status are trained to think not "my problems are like other people's problems and as such I should develop solidarity." But rather "how can I frame my struggles as unique and personal so that my achievements look more impressive to admissions committees." That is why liberal anti-left discourse is so sui generis in the US. In Europe or Latin America it will be the more common "unions make people lazy and inefficient" type of thing, or it will be connected to foreign policy tropes (being critical of Israel is antisemitic, being critical of the US is communism). In the US it's the "actually unions or any other form of class based organizing is ableism, counterrevolutionary, racist and sexist" because from an early age liberal kids have been trained to think of how their struggles are actually special and separate from everyone else's.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Man farts would be so funny if you couldn't digest flour

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I long for simpler times when this was the funniest poo poo I've ever seen

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

watch bush start a motherfucking war

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Homeless Friend posted:

i've seen a lot in cspam but people getting probed and their post edited by cspam mods for posting hunter in the bathtub owned.

the mods are libs

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Nichael posted:

meanwhile in delaware

the left in delaware has finally completely imploded. the dsa and wfp here are doing dueling purges of counter-revolutionaries, and have made a bunch of super volunteers/donors refuse to do anything ever again. i was identified as a counter-revolutionary by both organizations. everyone associated with me has been purged.

everyone lost their minds.

i love it, i'm lmaoing harder than ever.

I'm lmao imagining getting purged by the dsa.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
imagine not getting purged

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cuttlefush posted:

imagine not getting purged

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what if Jeb had been blessed with this kind of energy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1594670483491983361?s=20&t=YSpqBD01KVuqvTjxmYp14w

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm lmao imagining getting purged by the dsa.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

if anyone wants to read some truly delusional 2024 presidential picks, have i got the article for you!

Who Exactly Do Americans Want Leading Them?

https://web.archive.org/web/20221121105006/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/2024-presidential-election-candidates.html

featuring:
Gretchen Whitmer
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar
John Fetterman
Mark Kelly
Larry Hogan
Jon Tester
Janet Mills
Mitch Landrieu
Bernie Sanders
Adam Kinzinger
Raphael Warnock
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Liz Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Charlie Baker
Ron DeSantis
Nikki Haley
Mike Pompeo
Mike Pence
Gavin Newsom
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Andy Beshear

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
nichael banished from the polycule(s)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Thank god you aren't facing Luxembourg!

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

if anyone wants to read some truly delusional 2024 presidential picks, have i got the article for you!

https://web.archive.org/web/20221121105006/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/2024-presidential-election-candidates.html

featuring:
Gretchen Whitmer
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar
John Fetterman
Mark Kelly
Larry Hogan
Jon Tester
Janet Mills
Mitch Landrieu
Bernie Sanders
Adam Kinzinger
Raphael Warnock
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Liz Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Charlie Baker
Ron DeSantis
Nikki Haley
Mike Pompeo
Mike Pence
Gavin Newsom
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Andy Beshear

dire

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

fits my needs posted:

nichael banished from the polycule(s)

to be fair to myself, the dsa stuff was incidental. the local wfp had a dsa guy in it who had been mildly sexmonstering for the last 18 months, as well as the guy who tweeted the infamous "quarter jew" tweet who canvassed for the establishment dem in a contested primary. they finally purged those two dudes, but their stated reason was because their presence was giving one of the wfp milquetoast libs a bad name because the republicans called her a "dsa" member.... in a district she won by 16 points.

thus, with the sexmonster and the establishment dem canvasser/phrenologist/quarter jew tweeter purged from the wfp, the dsa had no choice but to counter. I don't really know how people I know ended up getting purged by them though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

featuring:
Gretchen Whitmer
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar
John Fetterman
Mark Kelly
Larry Hogan
Jon Tester
Janet Mills
Mitch Landrieu
Bernie Sanders
Adam Kinzinger
Raphael Warnock
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Liz Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Charlie Baker
Ron DeSantis
Nikki Haley
Mike Pompeo
Mike Pence
Gavin Newsom
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Andy Beshear

ctrl-f "harris" 0 results

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

featuring:
Gretchen Whitmer
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar
John Fetterman
Mark Kelly
Larry Hogan
Jon Tester
Janet Mills
Mitch Landrieu
Bernie Sanders
Adam Kinzinger
Raphael Warnock
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Liz Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Charlie Baker
Ron DeSantis
Nikki Haley
Mike Pompeo
Mike Pence
Gavin Newsom
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Andy Beshear

quote:

I align with the Republican Party. I’m happy with their openness to solving problems through the free market rather than through government programs. And I would like to see them assert America’s leadership role on the world stage rather than embracing increasingly isolationist policies. Hillary Clinton is cleareyed about her economic policies, experienced on the world stage and is in the best position to capitalize on the social issues that are important to many voters. — Thomas Larrison, 28, unaffiliated, Tampa, Fla.

omg

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Rubellavator posted:

it's really funny even in an absolute list of losers like that she can't even crack the bottom chunk. Her arc is easily the funniest of the dem losers, she had one of the only good hits on Biden with that 'and that little girl was me' and instantly walked it back to help secure the vp slot and it's just done nothing for her.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

they found the one republican voter who's also Still With Her

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My wife's work is trying to unionize, made the mistake of going to a DSA meeting, don't really think helping organize work places is their thing really, glad we didn't tell them much

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

28 self-id'ed republican florida man saying hillary.......... it's gotta be a bit (please be a bit)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

:yeshaha:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

featuring:
Gretchen Whitmer
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar
John Fetterman
Mark Kelly
Larry Hogan
Jon Tester
Janet Mills
Mitch Landrieu
Bernie Sanders
Adam Kinzinger
Raphael Warnock
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Liz Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Charlie Baker
Ron DeSantis
Nikki Haley
Mike Pompeo
Mike Pence
Gavin Newsom
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Andy Beshear

can’t take a 2024 list without Jess Scarane on it seriously

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wamsutta posted:

can’t take a 2024 list without Jess Scarane on it seriously

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

is Sherrod Brown a real person or is he just some sort of meme that's tossed around every few years as a "palatable dem"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

300 people a day are dying from fentanyl?

that doesn't sound true

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Also, I like that the headline image for the "Who exactly do Americans want leading them?" article looks like it was made by an alien or an AI.

I missed this earlier, but drat this person loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

You can engage with a trot org and get purged by the worst people you've ever met or you can engage with psl and get purged by a council of rapists