Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Years ago I bought an endura jacket. It isn't exactly rainproof but it does ride lower in the back, has a back pocket and longer sleeves. Zip pits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

I got a cheapo pair of USB head/tail lights when I got my bike (as required for night riding in NYC), but they completely run out of battery after a week of sitting unused. I only bike at night like a couple times a month so I don't think to recharge them often, it's pretty annoying.

I got a Planet Bike Grateful Red tail light that just takes AAAs, which I'm excited about, since I can just pack a spare couple batteries in my bag for it and not worry about battery life. However, I can't find any particularly recommended head lights that take AAs or AAAs. Are there any y'all can vouch for? This is for biking in NYC so it just needs to be light enough for cars to see me, not to actually light my path. I was looking at the Planet Bike Beamer 3 (the Beamer 80 is their newer upgrade but apparently has a really common issue where the box just... doesn't contain the light itself, which is a truly astonishing QC fuckup; reviews at both Amazon and REI mention it!). Also would like the ability to quickly remove it from the handlebar mount (again, NYC biking, don't want to leave stuff on my bike when parked if I can help it..).

https://www.amazon.com/CAT-EYE-HL-EL135-Headlight-Commuting/dp/B0041D0XFO

Last one of these I had lasted 7 years in rain and snow, easy to take on and off, 2 AAs, and only $20 at the moment (I think I got mine for $12ish). I had to swap batteries maybe twice a year at most with 6-8hrs of use a week. It's not going to let you go fast on strange paths in the dark but it has decent cutouts so cars can see you from a wide angle from the front and sides.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

iospace posted:

Looking for a good rain jacket. Any suggestions?

I might be biased because they are a local company and seem to be the default for the cycle community (at least people willing to drop some coin on gear) but I love Showers Pass.

https://www.showerspass.com/

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

cleverhood is dope, keeps me dry in nasty weather

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This thing claimed multiple hours of my time and punctured several inner tubes. Finally found it and repaired them. It was wedged within the tire just slightly off the center, and wasn't at all exposed on either side when the tire was off the rim.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Those are the worst kind, congratulations. I had a similar secret tube poker last year except it was a sliver of glass. I finally found it by touch/sound after probing visible nicks in the relevant area of the tread with a dentist's pick.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cotton wool ball is good for that, and takes up a tiny amount of space in a saddle bag or jersey case

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
True, cotton balls are great, my fingertips thanks this thread for that tip. Only sometimes very rarely the pokey thing doesn't poke unless the tire is being ridden and there's nothing for the cotton to snag on which is when you have to go all detective like. Only happened to me once and it caused a tiny very slow leak, twice. Super annoying.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

#reasonstogotubeless

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How often do you guys replace the mechanical disc brake wire? I got a rear brake i can't calibrate it to have full stop force. I wonder if brake wire is the next step.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Given how cheap and easy cables are to replace there's no reason not to if you've already replaced or otherwise verified the pads are good IMO. My brakes are hydraulic but FWIW I change the shifter cable twice a year or so on to the main commuter because I ride through brine in the winter and it's a $7 twenty minute job and the shifter always works so nice with a new cable. I imagine the brakes will at least feel better with a new cable too (it sure improved the feel or my motorcycle clutch), and worst case you eliminate the cable as the culprit for the poor performance in which case it's time to look at the pads, caliper or disc again.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

How often do you guys replace the mechanical disc brake wire? I got a rear brake i can't calibrate it to have full stop force. I wonder if brake wire is the next step.
You want compression less brake housing. HTH.

Most bikes tend to come with full length slinky housing which is awful for a rear disc brake.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

raggedphoto posted:

I might be biased because they are a local company and seem to be the default for the cycle community (at least people willing to drop some coin on gear) but I love Showers Pass.

https://www.showerspass.com/

Ok, the map pattern jacket is awesome.

As for my commute, right now it's roughly 10-11 miles (return route is slightly longer for safety reasons). My route out is mostly downhill, my route home is mostly uphill (I'm riding to the lakefront).

I'm a year round rider, including into the single digits F and high 80s, but I do have a car for days where riding would not be safe (read: thunder storms, extreme heat or cold, wind advisories of any type). Snow doesn't stop me either.

https://www.showerspass.com/products/womens-navigator-jacket?variant=41842013470920

I specifically was looking at this one. Thoughts?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

iospace posted:

Ok, the map pattern jacket is awesome.

As for my commute, right now it's roughly 10-11 miles (return route is slightly longer for safety reasons). My route out is mostly downhill, my route home is mostly uphill (I'm riding to the lakefront).

I'm a year round rider, including into the single digits F and high 80s, but I do have a car for days where riding would not be safe (read: thunder storms, extreme heat or cold, wind advisories of any type). Snow doesn't stop me either.

https://www.showerspass.com/products/womens-navigator-jacket?variant=41842013470920

I specifically was looking at this one. Thoughts?

I can't speak to that Jacket specifically but the one I had lasted for years and my only complaint was the material felt cold and clammy against bare skin. I stopped bike commuting for a few years but since I started again I am in need of a cycling specific coat and will be buying a showers pass, not 100% sure which one yet.

My previous coat had a hood and I think I am going hoodless this time, I never used it while biking and it felt like a sail/rain catch.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah hoods are worse than useless for biking if you wear a helmet or need to look anywhere other than straight ahead from time to time.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I commuted down to D.C. by MARC train the other day to do some shopping

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I asked this the last time I needed gloves, but:

Does anyone have recommendations for very warm and waterproof gloves that will last more than a couple years? I've been using ski gloves but their insulation wears out like clockwork at about the 2 year mark. It's frustrating because the shell is usually fine. I usually don't notice as they fail during the previous spring, then about now I start to need them again and my hands are freezing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm big on the bar mitt + light gloves.
Last year I got a pair of the BikeIowa lite pogies https://bikeiowa.store/products/pogielites
I also have rock bros bar mitts. They're warmer but stiff/annoying. They come in either drop bar or flat bar. The BikeIowa ones can do either. Them you have the big boy versions like 45north that are too hot for my area.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
the weather is finally decent enough in my hell city for a 10 mile round trip commute.. the way back around 11pm is definitely more pleasant. starting to feel the need for a 2nd bike, my 89 cannondale crit bike is kind of feeling a little aggressive which is fun to ride fast but.. sometimes i feel like a nice steel frame with mustache bars, bailout gears and a not-slammed stem would get me on rides more often and maybe longer ones. plus i kind of feel weird about the aesthetics of a brooks on a bike lime mine, feels amazing though i can't imagine switching saddles

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Does anyone make a good short sleeved, high vis reflective jersey or top for commuting in the dark? I run too hot while cycling for a jacket most evenings, even in the winter but I'd like something more visible than the bright yellow tech t-shirts I'm currently wearing. I really want to avoid a construction style vest because the flapping will drive me mad but I can't find anything with a decent amount of reflective material without going long sleeved or waterpoof.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Loads of options if you search for a cycling or running high viz gilet

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Loads of options if you search for a cycling or running high viz gilet

A gilet on it's own would be quite the fashion statement, otherwise it's just another layer which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Edit: something like this Rapha top, but ideally not £50 https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-commuter-reflective-t-shirt/product/TRL01SSSGC

Yeep fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 11, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Cheapest option is to get a roll of 3M or knockoff sew-on reflective tape and go to town on whatever comfy t-shirt/jersey you're wearing now: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Silver-Reflective-Clohting-25mmx10m/dp/B07G3BNZCR

Tshirts are going to be flappy, and a jersey that doesn't suck/fall apart won't be cheap.

I am all for being as visible as possible, but it seems like more lights, reflective sidewall tires, or reflective tape on your bike/wheels would be a good solution if you're concerned about wearing extra stuff.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeep posted:

A gilet on it's own would be quite the fashion statement, otherwise it's just another layer which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Over a lightweight technical t-shirt it'd be fine

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The most comfortable reflective wind shirts I own are a couple running jackets from Adidas. Running brands tend to use fabric that's more breathable and feels more like cotton even though it's 100% polyester. If you don't zip up, it acts like flying cape when riding.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It's been snowing a bunch, well over a foot. Cops say "don't drive". Transit company says "don't ride buses or trains". I got to try to get to work - bicycle it is. Wish me luck.

E: made it in just under two hours (normal winter time is 45 minutes). Lots of drama including me running over a dislodged manhole cover (from plowing) that caused a snakebite puncture I got to fix, which sucked. That one could have gone a lot worse than a just flat. Also riding on the big road for a good while since the bike path was't cleared at all. Fallen trees blocking the road, people stuck in their cars, random piles of snow to climb. Quite the morning.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 21, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's ridiculous that anyone would be expected to commute in conditions like that unless they're "essential" workers

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
drat how much salt are you getting on your bike?

Last week was the first time I put on "full winter gear" when I commuted. Thick and comfy snow shoes and 2 pairs of gloves. A 3-layer hiking jacket on top of a monkey man fleece. My "winter helmet" which I volcre flux flur around it already.

I had the lobster thing on my last bike but now I have a new bike I try to not use it this year. Every ebike food delivery guy has the lobsters on his bike.

I also set the temperature setting on my phone to "feel like" instead of actual temperature and it reported sub zero temperatures, scared me for a bit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

It's been snowing a bunch, well over a foot. Cops say "don't drive". Transit company says "don't ride buses or trains". I got to try to get to work - bicycle it is. Wish me luck.

E: made it in just under two hours (normal winter time is 45 minutes). Lots of drama including me running over a dislodged manhole cover (from plowing) that caused a snakebite puncture I got to fix, which sucked. That one could have gone a lot worse than a just flat. Also riding on the big road for a good while since the bike path was't cleared at all. Fallen trees blocking the road, people stuck in their cars, random piles of snow to climb. Quite the morning.
hahahaha what a loving ordeal. well done.

I biked to our datacenter and chose the looooooong and shallow way up the hill. Wasn't too bad, but I didn't have studs yet so I rode like scaredy squirrel.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had brand new winter tires on so that was good, only I didn't get the chance to break them in properly. I tried to be kind to them but things happen, hope I didn't rip any studs out. It's anecdotal but my impression is if I inflate to max pressure and ride cautiously on asphalt for an hour or two (doing s-turns because gotta seat the studs yo) the studs stay in the tire for its entire lifespan. Or maybe it's just that I upgraded to the schwalbe "plus" which are stiffer and more substantial.

I thought I had a real good reason to be at work, found out fifteen minutes after getting there that I didn't. More snow coming (unless it turns to rain) so tomorrow will possibly be scetchy too. Last time it snowed like this was 2015 IIRC so it's rare enough that there aren't any protocols for closing down schools and things like that. A functioning society would fix this but I'm under no illusions.

No salt this morning, but during normal winter riding I get ALL of the salt. This kills the bicycle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

stephenthinkpad posted:

I had the lobster thing on my last bike but now I have a new bike I try to not use it this year. Every ebike food delivery guy has the lobsters on his bike.

Maybe you have your terminology mixed up -- are you talking about lobster gloves or pogies?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe you have your terminology mixed up -- are you talking about lobster gloves or pogies?

The ones that are fixed on the handlehars.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

The ones that are fixed on the handlehars.
Those are pogies. Lobsters are the gloves where two pairs of fingers are stuck together (or the index finger is separated from the rest).
https://www.google.com/search?q=lobster+gloves

IME there's only 2 things that work decently in a real cold: bigass mittens or pogies and normal gloves.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

evil_bunnY posted:

IME there's only 2 things that work decently in a real cold: bigass mittens or pogies and normal gloves.

Same. My beaver fur mittens just showed up, I look forward to many years of toasty hands.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those beaver mitten look good! Are there cheaper mittens that are almost as warm?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Those beaver mitten look good! Are there cheaper mittens that are almost as warm?

I've always gone pretty expensive on mittens cause it's worth it for heat and longevity. Before these I had North Face winter climbing mittens for about eight years. I think they were a bit cheaper but it was a long time ago.

E: The synthetic climbing mittens are still good and could do another winter or two but they've been through it at this point and it shows. The liner is also pretty much done.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

evil_bunnY posted:

Those are pogies. Lobsters are the gloves where two pairs of fingers are stuck together (or the index finger is separated from the rest).
https://www.google.com/search?q=lobster+gloves

It is, however, required by law that when ever you put on the Lobster gloves you try to click them together, and do the "whoob woob woob woob" Zoidberg sound.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

It is, however, required by law that when ever you put on the Lobster gloves you try to click them together, and do the "whoob woob woob woob" Zoidberg sound.

It's only right to keep the traditions alive.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

SimonSays posted:

It's only right to keep the traditions alive.

We do, after all, live in a society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The only rule that matters. Ride your bike wear your clothes and drink your coffee however you want but do respect the claw.