Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fil5000 posted:

Gearbox CAN make decent games. The Borderlands series is good at what it's trying to do, even if that thing isn't to my taste a lot of the time. They just happen to also make plenty of poo poo (and then try to pretend that actually it was someone else that made the poo poo).

I mean Wonderlands took the good gameplay from Borderlands 3 and cut out all the dogshit dialogue and overly massive levels, and imo it’s a genuinely good game, not just one that is “good, but…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks to my steam deck (and extra memory card), I'm finally finishing my initial playthrough of Doom 2016 that I had started on another machine earlier this year, and it's not like it needs extra praise, but godDAMN this game is perfect. I have it on Switch, but kept getting killed by the cyberdemon when you switch over to hell but I might even go back and finish THAT version, too. I don't know why I couldn't beat him on Switch, and more or less wiped the floor with him on the deck. I'm essentially using the same controls (gamepad with gyro), so :shrug:

I just want more Doom. Next up is Eternal. Can't wait.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks to my steam deck (and extra memory card), I'm finally finishing my initial playthrough of Doom 2016 that I had started on another machine earlier this year, and it's not like it needs extra praise, but godDAMN this game is perfect. I have it on Switch, but kept getting killed by the cyberdemon when you switch over to hell but I might even go back and finish THAT version, too. I don't know why I couldn't beat him on Switch, and more or less wiped the floor with him on the deck. I'm essentially using the same controls (gamepad with gyro), so :shrug:

I just want more Doom. Next up is Eternal. Can't wait.

I'd imagine the better framerate would be a big help.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd imagine the better framerate would be a big help.

While I can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps, playing on one vs the other doesn't bother me. The game is, for 30fps, still very smooth and fast on the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, it's a good port and the version I completed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, it's a good port and the version I completed.

It's funny; when I got back into it a couple of days ago, it was maybe a level or 2 before the cyberdemon fight (i.e. - not the first level), and at first I wasn't sure if I would be able to quickly get back into the rip-and-tear flow of it all.

Then I did the rocket launcher rune that gives you The Rich Stay Richer (unlimited ammo for full armour), and that alone really put me back into Doomslayer mode, and it was as if I'd never left.

It was just so :black101: but really, in this game, what isn't?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Took me a long while to get to it but the second episode of HROT is a lot better than the first, dang.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/iiboharz/status/1594305691099037696

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a good article that crossed my radar today, from earlier this year: A detailed look at the making of Jedi Outcast.

Jake Simpson posted:

There's a fun story about this. It came about that LucasArts execs were visiting Activision, with a view to working out a deal where Activision would distribute their games overseas. They used to have a deal like this with EA, back in the '90s. While they were there, the execs were treated to a review of the upcoming games from Activision, and notably in the list was Star Trek Voyager : Elite Force.

Now apparently, there was a bit of a stunned silence from the LucasArts execs while it was being demonstrated. Once the demo was complete and the lights came up, the LucasArts guys looked at each other, and then asked for a quick sidebar, where they exited the conference room and had a quick huddled group chat. They came back in about 5 minutes later and sat down. Now the Activision people had watched this with interest, and one of them - ballsy chap - said, "Look, if we are going to be partners, we shouldn't have secrets. What was that all about?"

The LucasArts guys said, "We just cancelled the Obi-Wan game we were working on. It looks halfway decent, but it doesn't look anywhere as good as what you just showed us. In fact, until now, we've never considered Star Trek to be competition for the Star Wars brand, but that... yeah, that's worryingly good. We need to go back to the drawing board for Obi-Wan, in light of what we just saw."

Now, the Activision guys looked at each other, and one said, quietly, "Well, yes, it does look good, doesn't it? I wonder what Raven could do with the Star Wars License?" And that's how it came to be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Obi-Wan didn’t entirely get cancelled, but the PC release did. One of my earlier gaming disappointments, even though it turned out to be not very good. Lucasarts really started to struggle right around the push to get the Ep1 games out the door at the same times as the movie. Jim Ward got put in charge of that effort and because they managed to pull it off someone decided he should run the company. Which he did, right into the loving ground.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I mean Wonderlands took the good gameplay from Borderlands 3 and cut out all the dogshit dialogue and overly massive levels, and imo it’s a genuinely good game, not just one that is “good, but…

is there any point to getting the dlcs or is the base game enough

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

The Kins posted:

Here's a good article that crossed my radar today, from earlier this year: A detailed look at the making of Jedi Outcast.

This is really good! I loved those games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

quote:

Now, the Activision guys looked at each other, and one said, quietly, "Well, yes, it does look good, doesn't it? I wonder what Raven could do with the Star Wars License?" And that's how it came to be.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Does Cultic have a way to keep your weapon upgrades into a new game, like a new game+?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Cultic seems more the kind of game that would add a gremlin character who can steal weapon upgrades from not just your current save but the game itself

edit: I have decided that the little gun thief I'm imagining wears a lit candle as a hat

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I found a bug in Doom 2016 and I'm not sure how common it is, but it keeps happening.

As the game puts you in a large area and spawns a bunch of enemies, usually not letting you progress until you've cleared the area out, on multiple occasions, I've found myself stuck in a given area. No enemies left, and my compass isn't telling me to go anywhere (or if it is, like in Titan's Realm, there's a gate blocking the way). I'll check the map, but the goal is either not shown, or it is, but it's once again behind something that's locked off.

What ends up happening is once I reload to the previous checkpoint, I run through the whole thing again, and progress no problem. This has happened 3 times already. Anyone else having this issue?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

I found a bug in Doom 2016 and I'm not sure how common it is, but it keeps happening.

As the game puts you in a large area and spawns a bunch of enemies, usually not letting you progress until you've cleared the area out, on multiple occasions, I've found myself stuck in a given area. No enemies left, and my compass isn't telling me to go anywhere (or if it is, like in Titan's Realm, there's a gate blocking the way). I'll check the map, but the goal is either not shown, or it is, but it's once again behind something that's locked off.

What ends up happening is once I reload to the previous checkpoint, I run through the whole thing again, and progress no problem. This has happened 3 times already. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah I remember that happening a few times. I also had a really annoying bug with trophies that stopped me getting the Platinum on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Copper Vein posted:

Does Cultic have a way to keep your weapon upgrades into a new game, like a new game+?

God I wish. I wish there was a way to play around with upgrades or even alter then in the game too. It's just a quibble though

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I want to say this has happened to me too. It'd be nice if the game(s) had a sanity check where, if you were able to stand still for ~30 seconds without taking damage or shooting anything, it would determine that that the arena was empty and allow you to progress.

DoombatINC posted:

Cultic seems more the kind of game that would add a gremlin character who can steal weapon upgrades from not just your current save but the game itself

edit: I have decided that the little gun thief I'm imagining wears a lit candle as a hat

I like it--if it's good enough for Descent II or Quake: Scourge of Armagon, it's good enough for Cultic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not good enough for Descent 2, gently caress the thiefbot

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I want to say this has happened to me too. It'd be nice if the game(s) had a sanity check where, if you were able to stand still for ~30 seconds without taking damage or shooting anything, it would determine that that the arena was empty and allow you to progress.

Or they could just not lock in you so drat much.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

It's not good enough for Descent 2, gently caress the thiefbot

As a kid, I would clear out entire levels of everything but the thief bot, and then create a save specifically so I could chase it around the level without being bothered by anything else. I don't know why but I really got something out of chasing that stupid bot.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any opinions on the Duke Nukem Switch port? I know it's Gearbox but it's o80% off in EU eshop right now and I'm tempted.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Terminally Bored posted:

Any opinions on the Duke Nukem Switch port? I know it's Gearbox but it's o80% off in EU eshop right now and I'm tempted.

It’s fine. Has some slowdown in the new episode though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If I ever make a shooter I'm putting the candle-hatted gremlin thief in it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Terminally Bored posted:

it's good. has rewind.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Sold.

What's this about the game being full 3d? Was it remade?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/BuildEnginePics/status/1594417632853139457?t=4llc1Hznin8P17Mblt4_vw&s=19

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Terminally Bored posted:

Sold.

What's this about the game being full 3d? Was it remade?

yeah you basically have the old Build version where looking up/down looks really weird/warped but you can also play with actual 3D geometry

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Just imagine what Capstone could have done with that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SLIME SLIME SLIME SLIME SLIME SLIME

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is this is an ARG for Cruelty Squad's multiplayer expansion?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone get Prodeus on Switch? I see it's on sale. I know this version was delayed a bit but wondering how it performs.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.moddb.com/mods/second-encounter-deluxe-edition-incl-third-encounter-and-halten-sie
I've just released Second Encounter Deluxe Edition for the LZWolf source port, a conversion of the famous console/Mac level set and all its features for the PC that also includes the Mac-exclusive Third Encounter overhaul of the original 60 PC Wolfenstein levels, and Halten Sie!, one of Laz Rojas' greatest map sets, based on Laz's own PC conversion but with the Mac features (and a deleted MAP02) restored by AstroCreep. In all, you're looking at 101 classic Wolfenstein levels.

I've also refactored the Mac weapons to be more useful but also more situational, added burning and gibbing animations for the Nazis, and made the later boss fights more challenging with new boss behaviors, and wrapped this up in a unique look inspired by the Super Nintendo version's art style. And to top it all off, I've also included my WDC map definitions featuring hand-painted tiles using WDC's new 64-color palette that are much easier on the eyes than the default tileset.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That polytex video it's great because you can tell in seconds that the level design tool is basically the same as build, it just renders and processes things in a 3d space better than build.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone know what the gently caress that sky box is, in that engine demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anyone know what the gently caress that sky box is, in that engine demo?

...except distorted funny because skies are hard.