Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
In case anyone cares, the official AYN discord announced that "the pre-sale of Odin console is over. If you order it now, your order would be shipped out very soon."

I got a Lite and love it fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the pro is fantastic

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How do the Lite and Pro compare to the RP3+ specs-wise?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

One reason I like the GPD clamshell design is it fits in my travel bag and I can easily fish it out on plane rides. My RP2+ and switch lite both have bulky travel cases and it’s hard to get it when your bag is chuffed under the seat.

Another dimension to consider is the “might get you laid” factor. Both the GPD and the Retroid were convo starters with the RP2+ scoring me a kiss on the cheek (which had nothing to do with my silky beard or urbane demeanor) whereas the GPD had some lady asking me about my kids in broken English.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Saoshyant posted:

How do the Lite and Pro compare to the RP3+ specs-wise?

The Odins are both more powerful than the RP3+, and about equal to each other, so at this point it's basically whether you'd rather have Snapdragon or Mediatek (and also whether you care about having video out from the USB-C port or not, since the Lite can't do that but the Base and Pro do).

They won't do any extra systems, but Gamecube and PS2 are definitely more reliable than on the RP3+, though both still require a lot of tweaking and you can expect some games to just not work still.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

coconono posted:

Another dimension to consider is the “might get you laid” factor. Both the GPD and the Retroid were convo starters with the RP2+ scoring me a kiss on the cheek (which had nothing to do with my silky beard or urbane demeanor) whereas the GPD had some lady asking me about my kids in broken English.

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: Another dimension to consider is the “might get you laid” factor.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

sethsez posted:

They won't do any extra systems, but Gamecube and PS2 are definitely more reliable than on the RP3+, though both still require a lot of tweaking and you can expect some games to just not work still.

Well, that was basically the one thing that would give them an edge for me, so I think I'll wait for more powerful devices from either of those companies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: Another dimension to consider is the “might get you laid” factor.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
when i bust out my pearl blue GBAsp watch out ladies.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My 353M came in yesterday, and I got it set up with JELOS. It feels a lot more balanced in the hands than the 351MP did, and I like the new sticks.

Now I don't have to lug my Odin around when I'm out and about and it can go back to being a bedstand handheld.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Doctor Hospital posted:

My 353M came in yesterday, and I got it set up with JELOS. It feels a lot more balanced in the hands than the 351MP did, and I like the new sticks.

Now I don't have to lug my Odin around when I'm out and about and it can go back to being a bedstand handheld.

Nice I’ve got one on the way I’m really looking forward to. I really like my 351p but the screen just isn’t great besides for gba and the 353m looks like a good compromise on that.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Eh I don't really see the point of a smaller Steam Deck. I doubt it'll ever fit in your pocket (unless you're a cargo jorts master) and it's hard enough seeing some things on the screen as it is.

What that thing really needs is an actually swappable battery and an OLED screen. You can go through 2-3 charge cycles a day easily, no way that stock battery will last very long.

all they need to do is remove the giant rear end touchpads.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

Na they are super handy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man my RP3+ is already out for delivery. That was fast, it left China on Friday.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
One day I might get my analogue pocket..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an actual way to upscale GBA games? I tried the 4xHq and it made things look ok but softer I guess? I did some google work and everyone suggested the 4xHQ scale option.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Silly start/select buttons aside, this is easily the most comfortable-to-use handheld I own now. The size is just perfect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Silly start/select buttons aside, this is easily the most comfortable-to-use handheld I own now. The size is just perfect.

drat that purple looks exactly like my Odin lol.

It’s a fine looking machine

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

endocriminologist posted:

One day I might get my analogue pocket..

they told me to finalize my address. it may be happening soon.

Rolo posted:

it's time for translucent plastic to come back.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haven’t done any emulator work with it yet but it runs XBOX cloud gaming way better than I thought it would, and it syncs with my PC save data.

Sitting here with a tiny portable Xbox. It’s awesome.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Picked up an Amazon fire stick in the black Friday sales. Installed retroarch and have been having fun with what is now a little plug and play tiny emulator box.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
hell yeah clurple

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What's the most reliable handheld for PS2? I assume steamdeck, so I guess aside from that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

What's the most reliable handheld for PS2? I assume steamdeck, so I guess aside from that.

Odin pro maybe?

I guess it depends on your budget

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rolo posted:

Sorry if I misunderstood, but is this your RP3+? Because it says “2”.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Odin or Steamdeck pretty much

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

lmao

uh clearly it means squared

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rinkles posted:

Its a 3+. It’s some weird effect of taking a picture of a super small thing, definitely looks like a 2 until you get zoomed way in.

It took me way too long to get this pic and now you have to look at it.

Update 2: I really like this thing. I would advise against getting the official case though, it’s like 4 times thicker than the thing and it freely moves around inside.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 21, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

Update 2: I really like this thing. I would advise against getting the official case though, it’s like 4 times thicker than the thing and it freely moves around inside.

I was regretting being in so much of a rush to order that I forgot to pick up the official case so I guess that ended up being the right call

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

kirbysuperstar posted:

hell yeah clurple

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Photex posted:

Pffff, good luck getting any lady kisses that way

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FweFSlRk_I

It's crazy that PS2 emulation is now better than GameCube

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AetherSX2 is just ridiculous in how well it performs. Though the RP3+ still isn't looking like the next handheld to crack that consistent PS2 emulation threshold.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Anbernic is behind in power (as expected) and design (it happens) but they do have a bunch of those nice Vita 5 inch OLED screens and they're going to keep putting them in new handhelds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTJQy7yND1U

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

AetherSX2 is just ridiculous in how well it performs. Though the RP3+ still isn't looking like the next handheld to crack that consistent PS2 emulation threshold.

Hoping I can get it to work well, my PS2 games folder is bigger than everything else on this device combined.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you were planning to try them out yourself anyway, I’d be interested in how less demanding 3DS games run on the thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I probably will eventually but it’s pretty low on my list because I have a modded 3DS already.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I shouldn’t have hesitated on getting a 3DS right before COVID struck. I was this close to ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got super lucky that GameStop had a drop of refurbished units that were indistinguishable from brand new a year or so ago.