Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I thought it was kind of hosed up that the white people working with the Central American crew chief called him Nacho until I learned that's the standard nickname for Ignacio.

but I learned that a very long time ago.

something I just realized yesterday: the little Android clock app icon shows the current time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Isn’t that how nachos got their name, the restaurant that invented them called them Nacho’s Special or something like that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bargearse posted:

Isn’t that how nachos got their name, the restaurant that invented them called them Nacho’s Special or something like that?

The town of Piedras Negras holds a three day nacho festival every year in his honor! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacio_Anaya

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It’s amazing how many famous dishes were invented on the spot to deal with a difficult customer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Perhaps someday we'll be discussing the origins of a "Karen cake"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Phosphine posted:

Also we called Beijing "Peking".

That's from an older attempt to romanize Chinese called the Wade-Giles system. It was officially replaced with Pinyin in the 50s but Taiwan kept using it until 2009 and a lot of the words have stuck around in restaurant dishes and stuff. "Cantonese" cuisine is from Guangdong, for example

"Peking" and "Beijing" are supposed to be pronounced the same

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Carthag Tuek posted:

They used to change like that. Guy baptized as Jürgen crosses from Germany to Denmark would be called Jørgen, then he enters Sweden and is called Göran, then Yrjö in Finland & Yuri in Russia. This because people considered them to be the same names, literally, the spellings were just regional variants. Mostly that stopped by the mid-1800s, but you still see it with royalty to some extent.

Note that it did not happen to any major extent at Ellis Island, as by then the paperwork was good. People had documents, the ships had passenger manifests, etc, so at least Europeans would generally be recorded with the spelling from their home country. Many did change their names afterwards though.

Italian family names are full of this poo poo, especially because "Italy" didn't exist as such until the 19th century. You'd have the Bellani family over in Verona, someone moves to Padua and suddenly their name might be Bellacati. You move to another province, your family name is Bellacera now, or Bellobuono, or Begliuomini, or Di Bella. It was all very loosey goosey.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's only Jesus if it's from the West Bank area of Palestine, otherwise it's sparkling Joshua.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bargearse posted:

It’s amazing how many famous dishes were invented on the spot to deal with a difficult customer.

The beloved Australian party snack lamingtons were apparently invented that way

quote:

The identity of the recipe's inventor has also been debated. Most stories attribute its creation to Lord Lamington's chef, the French-born Armand Galland, who was called upon at short notice to feed unexpected guests. Using only the limited ingredients available, Galland cut up some left-over French vanilla sponge cake baked the day before, dipped the slices in chocolate and set them in coconut. Impressed by Galland's creation, Lamington's guests were said to have later asked for the recipe. This version of events is supported by Lady Lamington's memoirs. Coconut was not widely used in European cooking at that time, but was known to Galland, whose wife was from Tahiti, where coconut was a common ingredient.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Phosphine posted:

Also we called Beijing "Peking".

Well I just learned Peking and Beijing are the same place.

Unrelated new information I just learned, after reading posts in a different thread from nine months ago: the pejorative human being doesn't come from the Bible. Its etymology is all over the place with a lot of conjecture but nowhere do I see does it come from the Bible. When I was twelve or thirteen, I joined the Mormon church for a year or so, and I definitely remember the bishop (the main church guy in a Mormon church; like a pastor or priest, I guess) telling us that homosexuals are called "faggots" because God looks at them as bundles of sticks to be burned in the fires of hell. He absolutely quoted scripture, either from the Bible or the Book of Mormon or that weird book they have about a pearl. It made perfect sense at the time: gays go to hell, faggots burn, therefore faggots = gays. But it doesn't; it's not even in the Bible at all. It's not even in the goddamn Book of Mormon. This guy just made it all up, and I believed it for twenty-five years.

Edit: for clarity I should just say that Mormons don't generally subscribe to the traditional firey-hell thing. Hell for Mormons is just living forever but without God's love, whatever that means. The fires and burning lake stuff is just for theatrics but is not meant to be literal.

Edit 2: or at least that's what the bishop explained to me, this bishop full of lies

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Nov 21, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's only Jesus if it's from the West Bank area of Palestine, otherwise it's sparkling Joshua.

Sparkling Josh, as opposed to Oily Josh

(khristos being a Greek word for "anointed" or smeared with holy oil)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Brawnfire posted:

Perhaps someday we'll be discussing the origins of a "Karen cake"

It's just a regular cake but delivered to the customer's face at 90mph.

credburn posted:

This guy just made it all up, and I believed it for twenty-five years.

It's a common hate-folk etymology. Shockingly, the actual "named after a bundle of sticks" group, i.e. fascists, aren't as eagerly being thrown into a fire. :thunk:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Beethoven went by Louis in France and Luigi in Italy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Implying that he had a more famous and successful brother named Beethoven Beethoven

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Implying that he had a more famous and successful brother named Beethoven Beethoven

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Oregon here and yeah can confirm.

Huh. Maybe it's an issue of proximity. Seriously, if you're going to be prejudiced against Hispanics here, you're not going to do much business. A LOT of small business here are owned by Hispanics, and many, many of them are very successful. If you're going to operate against Hispanic-owned businesses here, you/re really operating against yourself. Though I imagine the penetration of Hispanic-owned businesses in Oregon is less than in Texas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relatively Easy is the final track from Jason Isbell's 2013 album Southeastern. Isbell is an incredibly talented lyricist but there's one verse from the song that I think I interpreted wrong until very recently:

quote:

Is your brother on a church kick?
Seems like just a different kind of dope sick
Better off to teach a dog a card trick
Than try to have a point and make it clear

I've always read the "better off to teach a dog a card trick" line as it just being generally hard to hold a conversation with Jesus freaks when they're high on God or whatever. But now I think the actual meaning of the lyric is far more scathing: Isbell is still talking about the brother in that line, comparing his recent conversion to a trained animal that can perform a circus trick for peanuts rather than actually think for himself. It's pretty brutal when read that way and more in line with the general vibe of the song.

Anyway go listen to Southeastern by Jason Isbell it's a great album!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
NileRed and The Action Lab are two different people

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the action lab guy is too awkward to watch

what gets me though are the guys who make youtube videos for a living, but the places they film are just total squalor, like cody's lab

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like Nurdrage for chemistry videos. He seems to be the most skilled and professional that I've seen.

NileRed is pretty sloppy, and always seemed to get crappy yields because he eyeballed something or spilled a bit or whatever. I stopped watching when he did one where the premise was "hey you know that really dangerous chemical I synthesised a while back, taking full safety precautions? I'm doing it again only this time not bothering with most of that safety lol". Besides the fact that people should never be cavalier about safety, he's not even a good enough chemist to justify that attitude.

I mean, he's not as bad as Colin Furze, but that was enough for me to go "yeah this is going to end badly one of these days, I'm out"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hyperlynx posted:

I like Nurdrage for chemistry videos. He seems to be the most skilled and professional that I've seen.

NileRed is pretty sloppy, and always seemed to get crappy yields because he eyeballed something or spilled a bit or whatever. I stopped watching when he did one where the premise was "hey you know that really dangerous chemical I synthesised a while back, taking full safety precautions? I'm doing it again only this time not bothering with most of that safety lol". Besides the fact that people should never be cavalier about safety, he's not even a good enough chemist to justify that attitude.

I mean, he's not as bad as Colin Furze, but that was enough for me to go "yeah this is going to end badly one of these days, I'm out"

I was about to say "nurdrage is great but he hasn't made a video in x months" but when i went to his channel to check exactly how long it's been, it turns out he uploaded a video 9 minutes ago

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

the action lab guy is too awkward to watch

what gets me though are the guys who make youtube videos for a living, but the places they film are just total squalor, like cody's lab

Explosions and Fire has you covered there.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DontMockMySmock posted:

I was about to say "nurdrage is great but he hasn't made a video in x months"

Yeah :(

quote:

but when i went to his channel to check exactly how long it's been, it turns out he uploaded a video 9 minutes ago
Oh! Sick!

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Captain Splendid posted:

NileRed and The Action Lab are two different people

I had this realization recently as well, I think the problem here is that a large bulk of YouTube science guys all have the same general cadence and pitch when they're talking

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I had this realization recently as well, I think the problem here is that a large bulk of YouTube science guys all have the same general cadence and pitch when they're talking

Again, we celebrate Explosions & Fire. He is the most entertaining of them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The song his channel takes its name from (and a snippet of which plays at the start of his videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUd_1m01-hM&t=0

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Phy posted:

The song his channel takes its name from (and a snippet of which plays at the start of his videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUd_1m01-hM&t=0

Let's rock

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The giant can of Red Bull at the back of the ridiculous Red Bull automobile is a storage compartment.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The control stick on the F-16 is exactly the same as the one on the A-10.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought this was pretty neat, cause of how the F-16's stick works compared to most other jet fighters of its generation*, but some quick checking of cockpit photos reveals that:

The F-16 and the A-10 do not share a stick, different switch layout on the grip as well as the big difference in how they work.
The F-15 and the A-10 do look like they have the same grip.
The Thrustmaster F-16 and A-10 joysticks for flight sims do have the same stick, and it's based on the -16's grip

*So where most aircraft flight controls had the stick connected to hydraulics (or even cables) that physically move the control surfaces on the wings and tail in a direct relationship to how far the stick is moved, the F-16 was one of the first to have fully electric fly-by-wire with no physical backup. The stick is on the pilot's right side, instead of between the legs, and it barely moves at all, sensing inputs through transducers in the base of the grip.

At first it was completely stiff, but pilots tended to overhandle it a little too much leading to bigger inputs than intended, so they had to make it just a little floppy. :flaccid:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't know about differences in how they work, but they do indeed have exactly the same switch layout. I found that out because I stumbled on a company that makes both (as in, actual real ones for the actual aircraft, not computer sim ones)

https://essexindustries.com/products/f-16-fighting-falcon-sidestick-control-grip/
https://essexindustries.com/products/a-10-flight-control-stick-grip/

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Nov 25, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The giant can of Red Bull at the back of the ridiculous Red Bull automobile is a storage compartment.

Yeah, it stores the wings.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, it stores the wings.

I wonder how hard it would be to turn that into a rocket artillery technical. It's already got a metal thingy on the back pointing in the right direction...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hyperlynx posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to turn that into a rocket artillery technical. It's already got a metal thingy on the back pointing in the right direction...

anyone ever try putting a mentos in there?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

They also have the same gps/ins, the same air data computer, and the same data cartridge reader

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Settle down Elon.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

In spaceballs mel brooks plays president skroob. which is brooks backwards.

30ish years and it never once dawned on me until today.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Boorks

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

In spaceballs mel brooks plays president skroob. which is brooks backwards.

30ish years and it never once dawned on me until today.

Please leave this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skrooby Doobie Doo