Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait you guys don't do daily loyalty pledges when you clock in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Sic transit gloria mundi

While we are at this, go and play Obsidian "Pertiment". Rather good point and click adventure set in medieval world, cool "The Name of The Rose" vibes. Lots of latin!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Crazy Ted posted:

No that is insane even by American standards.

I'm pretty sure neither California nor New York are Right to Work states, which means you have to have probable cause to terminate an employee. Hell even in a Right to Work state that "Hardcore" email bullshit is so loving vague in its terms that it's probably unenforceable as a contract

Pretty sure Musky broke all sorts of labor laws in the US as well, and he's going to get sued into the ground. This is why non-incest created company leadership consult lawyers for these things

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wait you guys don't do daily loyalty pledges when you clock in?

I give my boss a hand-job once, maybe even twice a day. I'm self-employed

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mik posted:

I give my boss a hand-job once, maybe even twice a day. I'm self-employed
That's not what your mom meant by continuing the family business.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The most wealthy man on the planet is also the most pathetic: amazing

Lmao when even Donny doesn't take the bait and calls you a loving moron

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm pretty sure neither California nor New York are Right to Work states, which means you have to have probable cause to terminate an employee. Hell even in a Right to Work state that "Hardcore" email bullshit is so loving vague in its terms that it's probably unenforceable as a contract

Pretty sure Musky broke all sorts of labor laws in the US as well, and he's going to get sued into the ground. This is why non-incest created company leadership consult lawyers for these things

every state has at-will employment except montana, you don't need cause to fire anyone in those states unless their employment contract specifies otherwise. california does have the warn act, though

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Yup, that email wouldn't fly even in Texas. According to the Texas workforce commission (the agency that administers unemployment benefits) this kind of action by an employer would put that employer on the hook for full unemployment payouts. An employer cannot drastically change the condition or scope of your job without it being considered an entirely new job, and an employee would be within their rights to walk as if they'd been terminated without cause.

Also, employment lawsuits are rather expensive even if the employer wins. Not only does the employer have to pay for legal counsel and spend manpower to defend themselves; but lawsuits also makes their employment practices insurance way more expensive.

Big daddy Musk has already killed Twitter as a business. It's only a matter of time before they're fire selling their assets to pay legal bills.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

TheMostFrench posted:

I'll never understand the appeal of vehicles that can have software failures for basic things like 'the headlights'. Any other car you could just keep a spare and change it yourself, but for this modern piece of genius, you need to wait for the company to release an update and potentially break something else, like its ability to recognise certain ethnicities of people at pedestrian crossings.

This is a really terrible take. Like, are you a boomer?

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

SRQ posted:

Furries in tech is funny.

I met someone I already knew via vintage computer stuff at a furry con and he was like, yeah man, if you know people in tech flip a coin for each.
Related a story of the first time he was 'out' at a company and someone was like huh, that's neat. First one I've met. "Lol no you work in tech try again."

They are also some of the most pure hearted people I've known and I would rather work in an environment where a literal fursuit is mandatory than at one where furries aren't allowed at all.

Pages back sorry, but this is something I always felt SA got wrong in the past. Furries and, oddly enough Juggalos are by and large good people. I’m glad we’re coming around.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

I don’t think that’s really boomery of an opinion? I was born in 91 and like, no I don’t want to have to rely on the internet to have my car to function? IoT hasn’t been working out too well?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

This is a really terrible take

It sure is

Who among us doesn't want our Cybercar to self-park, malfunction, and floor it at 200 mph slamming into every pedestrian the car sees like Steven King's Christine?

loving Luddites man :rolleyes:

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Mushrooman posted:

Pages back sorry, but this is something I always felt SA got wrong in the past. Furries and, oddly enough Juggalos are by and large good people. I’m glad we’re coming around.

Juggalos are always the most caring and nicest people I have ever had to deal with in all my years working with the general public.

I have updated my red flag list of people to avoid:

People who like Elon Musk, Libertarians, people who wear Confederate Flag clothing, maga hats, dudes in fedoras, anyone wearing a Rick and Morty t-shirt, patriotic clothing, thin blue line clothing....actually just nearly anyone.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Isn't BMW paywalling parts of their car's already built in functionality behind a monthly subscription?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Heated seats are a thing that I've heard being paywalled.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't think people used to say that Furries were bad people, just insanely cringey

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

TulliusCicero posted:

The most wealthy man on the planet is also the most pathetic: amazing

Lmao when even Donny doesn't take the bait and calls you a loving moron

Imagine being able to say the first part but arriving at the last part

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rabble posted:

Isn't BMW paywalling parts of their car's already built in functionality behind a monthly subscription?

goatface posted:

Heated seats are a thing that I've heard being paywalled.

BMW has started doing this in other countries (ie, not the USA). Not sure how much of that was because of the backlash in the press they faced. iirc they also tried doing that with carplay but weren't successful getting people to do it here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Imagine being able to say the first part but arriving at the last part

What are you talking about?

Burning Twitter to the waterline is improving the world.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

In ten years some plucky young car company is going to sell a model that comes with all the bells and whistles and be subscription free and that company's founder will be hailed as a visionary.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Advocating for right to repair isn't a boomer take.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

BMW has started doing this in other countries (ie, not the USA). Not sure how much of that was because of the backlash in the press they faced. iirc they also tried doing that with carplay but weren't successful getting people to do it here.

Holy poo poo that's gross

loving making people pay for features in the vehicle they already bought is absurd

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Saw that people were raising a fuss about Alex Jones, and decided to take a gander....

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1594552252865384450

While that's definitely tragic, it also just helps further show what we already know - that the whole "free speech absolutist" thing is utter bullshit and it's all about his own personal likes and convictions.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Saw that people were raising a fuss about Alex Jones, and decided to take a gander....

While that's definitely tragic, it also just helps further show what we already know - that the whole "free speech absolutist" thing is utter bullshit and it's all about his own personal likes and convictions.

When even this loving disgusting wierdo thinks Alex Jones is a sick gently caress

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

teen witch posted:

I don’t think that’s really boomery of an opinion? I was born in 91 and like, no I don’t want to have to rely on the internet to have my car to function? IoT hasn’t been working out too well?

yikes. mods??! this poster just admitted to being a literal infant

come back when you were born on the right side of 1990

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo that's gross

loving making people pay for features in the loving vehicle they already bought is absurd

The argument for it (which I think is bullshit, let me be clear) is that it simplifies the production lines by not making them make multiple models. So the only difference between the base model and the fancy model is a software update, and if you want the extra features you buy them a la carte. So, hypothetically, you're not paying for the features you're not using even though the hardware is installed. The idea being that the manufacturer saves enough on simplifying production that they come out ahead even if they're wasting money installing unnecessary hardware in some vehicles.

Now, the cynic in me thinks this is probably bullshit and just cover for testing the waters on making the AC and radio in your econo-box a monthly sub.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh gently caress off, Elon.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

boofhead posted:

If you want a sixer from an infant, keep going but I think you’ll have to go forum to forum informing everyone afterwards

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
He hates Alex Jones because children. He was fine with all the other Right Wing poo poo he spread.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IBroughttheFunk posted:

lmao, alex jones is too vile for elon

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Zzulu posted:

I don't think people used to say that Furries were bad people, just insanely cringey

i think it helped the forum to grow up a bit and realise over time that a lot of the "cool forum superstars" making fun of the cringey subcultures werent cool at all, but actually basement dwelling fascists / paedophiles / racists / deeply troubled individuals / whatever

i remember donkeys years ago like the only time ive met a goon IRL and we were with some people who were being what i would have called (back then) pretty cringey, and she goes well, you can either laugh at them or with them.. i still think about that sometimes. as awkward as they can be, funnily enough its better to hang out with the nerds with good hearts, than the 'mean girls' or literal fascists

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

boofhead posted:

probably wouldn't go down that route, personally

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teen witch posted:

I don’t think that’s really boomery of an opinion? I was born in 91
More like baby witch

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

On the plus side, maybe Musk's tweet there might drive Ronda Rousey and all the other Sandy Hook deniers off of Twitter :)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cyrano4747 posted:

The argument for it (which I think is bullshit, let me be clear) is that it simplifies the production lines by not making them make multiple models. So the only difference between the base model and the fancy model is a software update, and if you want the extra features you buy them a la carte. So, hypothetically, you're not paying for the features you're not using even though the hardware is installed. The idea being that the manufacturer saves enough on simplifying production that they come out ahead even if they're wasting money installing unnecessary hardware in some vehicles.

Now, the cynic in me thinks this is probably bullshit and just cover for testing the waters on making the AC and radio in your econo-box a monthly sub.
It's totally bullshit because in the past with such production improvements, they'd end up simply making it base as a way to further differentiate themselves from the rest of the market for whom it'd be a premium option. Others would catch up and eventually it becomes standard across most lines, thus improving the product across the board. (When was the last time a new car sold without power windows?) And sure as gently caress I don't think a brand like BMW is going "oh we have to be aware of the penny-pinching consumer who demands value of every feature we sell!!!" Such transparent bullshit.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

boofhead posted:

It really shook me when I realized that people born after 9/11 are old enough to vote now

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the plus side, maybe Musk's tweet there might drive Ronda Rousey and all the other Sandy Hook deniers off of Twitter :)

Wait Ronda Rousey is a SH denier? Jfc I thought I disliked her enough already

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What "Conspiracy theories" does Kim.com think Alex Jones was right about? Going to assume the word "blood" is involved

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 21, 2022

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Elon Musk is Big Peeler.

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long long time...

He's dead right?
Or is he elinmusk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

teen witch posted:

Wait Ronda Rousey is a SH denier? Jfc I thought I disliked her enough already

It's safe to assume most MMA athletes are profoundly stupid, in many different ways - the amount of pseudoscience peddled in dojos is staggering

still not as profoundly stupid as Elon is, but it's up there