Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SniperWoreConverse posted:

wait so held open doors still slow people down even tho they're open? What happens if you put chunks in the doorways?

let's find out :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

wait so held open doors still slow people down even tho they're open? What happens if you put chunks in the doorways?

A held open door will slow people down more than almost anything else, for some reason. Flesh Forge did the science back here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3598337&pagenumber=1228&perpage=40#post527543698

Additionally with the way the door coding works for allowing people to peak around a door corner and attack, it will let people attack through corners for an incredibly cheesy killbox where the enemy literally cannot attack you back.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How my last colony died: volanic winter + ideology that makes it so that eating meat / killing animals is abhorrent + never did research hydroponics = we can kill the rhino herd and use the meat but everyone is desperately unhappy, mood breaking, leaving the colony/going insane.

I could probably keep going and see who survives this spiral (the vampires probably) but it's time for more mods and a fresh start and smarter play.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

from left to right:
- held-open door + chunks
- held-open cloth animal flap + chunks
- held-open fence gate, no chunks
- solid line of chunks
- gapped line of chunks
- chunks/trees

inferring that solid lines of chunks is unhelpful, so one more variation, held-open door + alternating chunks (this is valid in vanilla, you can place stockpiles on top of doors):

a new winner emerges!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pawns are slowed going through doors that are directly adjacent to each other. If you leave a gap between the doors, they'll pass through at full speed.

Why that's the case, I have no idea. Doors are a giant list of exceptions in Ribworld.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

doing this gimmick colony of drunk and stupid bog trollish sweethearts and so far every one of them has acquired Beckon :btroll:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GaylordButts posted:

A held open door will slow people down more than almost anything else, for some reason. Flesh Forge did the science back here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3598337&pagenumber=1228&perpage=40#post527543698

Additionally with the way the door coding works for allowing people to peak around a door corner and attack, it will let people attack through corners for an incredibly cheesy killbox where the enemy literally cannot attack you back.

!?

kinda lame tbh. I'm philosophically against killboxes and have decided to sink excess wealth into rocket launchers cause a trade ship has 6 and i never really used them before. "You have to be crazy to use this weapon," what could possibly go wrong? Point and pull the trigger, right?

--

I'm now at the point where i have Too Many Colonists. Everything is fully researched and half the time it's just people wandering around or getting drunk, and I'm getting raids with double the entire colony and they're starting to get towards the turret defense lines. I only have like 4 decent-ish fighters and a dude waving around the same starting revolver that dropped with us, skill 2 in shooting, and an elephant and panther. The rest have engraved plasma and assault rifles. Engraved weapons are cool imo because they'll get names that are evocative or weird like "Night Hyena" or "A Chinchilla's Shanker." IMO if you're carrying a legendary or masterwork weapon you should get some kind of mood boost because of it.

I need to stick with devilstrand clothes + flack pants and vest + marine helmet, but the slowdown is noticeable. We'd go full marine armor except according to the wiki spacer tech does nothing against 70℃ summers for some reason? I got 2 quests to take out pirate camps that I should be able to roll over, but we need to pod in and back -- I never should have agreed to do these and instead should have just launched more gifts if i wanted the rep boost. It's the podding back that's annoying as hell, because I need to try and calc how much outbound pod space needs to be return fuel and who knows what's good in the camp and what i'd want to bring back and what the actual number of return pods I'll need to build, and if i burn down the entire enemy camp we'll be exposed to the elements for a couple days. Sparkles is getting very close to restoring her 20 in crafting tho, so it's not like I'm lacking for parts.

In order to get to the ship I need to load all this garbage and supplies and cool furniture I want to keep and relay pod a chain of bases to the south pole, which is going to actually suck when I have like 15 people & have to repeatedly set up a decent ish base 6 or 8 times in a row, and make sure I have enough food to survive. The last time I tried this it became impossible really quick because a ton of negative events started kicking in on both bases simultaneously.

--

Is there a way to "give" a pawn to a faction? All my guys have cool and interesting backstories, except one is extra weird and different: an apocalypse pariah who's married to the leader of a faction. Basically i plan on trying to launch the ship with everyone except her, and then end the run the way the lone adventurer starts. Figure out where her husband is and try to reunite. Which seems either impossible (because i don't know where this dude lives or how to find out), or just crazily brutal. But if you can't give up a pawn then :shrug:

Whatever way it goes it should be cool, but honestly i load this loving game and it's just... "this is going to be a huge pain in the rear end." *alt+f4* It's the closest I've gotten to being able to complete this dumb global warming gimmick and... pfff...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that gives me an idea: highly technological colony that goes deep into genetic modding, eventually (d)evolving into a melee-only, alcohol-dependent, short, tough tribal-level xenorace
is there a way to reset research for a colony? i know you can technically restart the game with the same colonists in one of the game's endings (just dont know which)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the archonexus quest does this, it is essentially newgame+ and lets you handpick 5 colonists and 5 animals (possibly now including 5 mechs)
it lets you pick a new site, resets tech research etc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

It's all fine until your map repeatedly burns down because forced dog overrides all rain.

this did suck pretty bad, yeah I won't do that again. permanent rain would not be good either because of the performance hit and well, you get sick of permanent rain pretty quick.

Is there a way to "give" a pawn to a faction? All my guys have cool and interesting backstories, except one is extra weird and different: an apocalypse pariah who's married to the leader of a faction. Basically i plan on trying to launch the ship with everyone except her, and then end the run the way the lone adventurer starts. Figure out where her husband is and try to reunite. Which seems either impossible (because i don't know where this dude lives or how to find out), or just crazily brutal. But if you can't give up a pawn then :shrug:

you can pod colonists into foreign settlements and "give as gift" although it gives everyone at home "sold one of us into slavery" unhappy thought.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 21, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Whatever way it goes it should be cool, but honestly i load this loving game and it's just... "this is going to be a huge pain in the rear end." *alt+f4* It's the closest I've gotten to being able to complete this dumb global warming gimmick and... pfff...

This mod does what you want! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2873618148&searchtext=quest

quote:

Let go of colonists with an immersive quest that allows pawns to join other friendly factions permanently.

Too often, someone joins your colony, claiming they have nowhere else to go. And because of your Ideology™ (DLC not required), you can't just turn them away! Well, now they do have somewhere else to go! This quest gives you a nice, moral way to get rid of colonists you don't want hanging around - on top of a neat reward for doing so. You of course can choose which colonists are sent away.

Colonists you give away are set to belong to that new faction. Good chance you'll see them again in caravans - or in raids!

This quest is heavily based off the Pawn Lending quest from Royalty™ (DLC not required), and its rewards/regularity/etc.
If you have any suggestions for changes, I'm happy to hear them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this doesn't work at all :negative:

e: held-open doors (or fence gates, or animal flaps) are the trick to enable this, apparently :(

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 21, 2022

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It doesn't look like you have doors in there, I thought that glitch required doors to be placed on the corner tiles you wanted to attack into?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flesh Forge posted:

this did suck pretty bad, yeah I won't do that again. permanent rain would not be good either because of the performance hit and well, you get sick of permanent rain pretty quick.

you can pod colonists into foreign settlements and "give as gift" although it gives everyone at home "sold one of us into slavery" unhappy thought.

does this work if i have zero dlc? I wanted to do this run as my last ultra-vanilla one before just slamming cash into buying all the expansions (probably i have missed the sale on royalty because of this). It won't matter if she's the last colonist anyway. Although i've never beaten the game and don't know how to actually launch the ship, or if it can be launched with someone still left behind or anything. I don't think i have the ability to enslave people so maybe i can't just send someone to be enslaved?

When i finally get to the ship and set up the last base I'll see how it goes from there, could be the best option

Flesh Forge posted:

this doesn't work at all :negative:

cheese is for the weak, get out there and start :blastu: like a real hero of yore

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: shooting colonists to foreign settlements with "give as gift"

does this work if i have zero dlc?

yes I'm pretty sure that's core vanilla behavior.

cheese is for the weak, get out there and start :blastu: like a real hero of yore

also when I get to the point where I have several tricked out psycasters with barf pulse and skipshield etc, I'll show you some melee cheese

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 21, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am fascinated by this storyteller mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2890521969&searchtext=

quote:

Add "Atropos," a storyteller who regularly generates raids

Description

Have you ever encountered the following situations during a game?

- There is only one vampire character in the colony, but there was a raid during a death rest. Trouble.
- The colony was just a couple and their child, the father was out in a caravan and the mother was raising the child when the raid came. Trouble.
- The raid came during the birth of the baby. Trouble.

On the other hand, how about this?

- There have been no raids for almost 10 days now. It's a free day.
- Colony defense is perfect. I want more many raids to occur.

To handle situations like this, I prepare a story teller who can adjust the interval between raids as desired by the player.

- I wanted to enjoy the combat as an element of the game, but not knowing when the raid was coming was a problem.
- Other story tellers sometimes have short intervals between raids and do not recover in time. Once a raid occurs, I don't want it to occur for a few days.
- On the contrary, I want raids to occur every day.

I think we can meet these requests.

It is almost identical to Cassandra in terms of everything except that it generates raids on a regular basis.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm currently building the ship in order to send off the colonists I don't want. I do like the idea of that mod sending off the colonists.

But I also like the wealth hit from having built and sent off the ship, as well as the huge number of raids. Thematically I like it too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

Cynapse — Today at 12:51 PM
Version 1.4.3555 is up now on the unstable branch! The stable branch will be updated to the current unstable branch today.
- Updated creative rewards content.
- Update the description for "child not in growth vat" to make it clearer that it relates to the pawn's child, not just any child.
- Fix: Missing translation keys.
- Fix: Remove reference to damage over time in acid spray description.
- Fix: TakeDrug gizmo doesn't use ingestCommandString for translation if available.
- Fix: Misc conflicting translation keys (AddPrecept, Value, Title).
- Fix: Pawns gain certainty during deathrest.
- Fix: Teenagers getting random backstories on save/load.
- Fix: Right clicking injured pawns can cause usage of un-researched bioregeneration cycle.
- Fix: Growth points are gained during deathrest when learning need is frozen.
- Fix: Bloodfeeders sometimes do not ingest all taken hemogen packs, depending on food need level.

also/instead :confuoot:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/294100/announcements/detail/3449222798339268051

quote:

1.4 content update adds more integration between expansions
New Ideology precepts, gene-modding improvements, player-made xenotypes in the world, polux tree seeds, and more!
Hi there!

RimWorld's 1.4 content update is now available! It adds cross-expansion integration with new Ideology precepts that link to Biotech, gene-modding and inheritance improvements, diplomatic reactions to pollution dumping, polux tree seeds, tribalwear for kids, and many other miscellaneous changes.

In a previous announcement, Ty covered the juicy details of this update. That same announcement has been shared below, as well as the changelog with our latest rounds of testing.

Thanks to everyone who helped us test this update. The community goes above and beyond with feedback and reports, and it genuinely helps us get these updates out so quickly. We've also tested the update for savegame and mod compatibility. If you’d like to help test our updates in the future, please join the official RimWorld Development Discord.

If you want to keep playing on the previous version of 1.4, you can use the Steam beta branch "version-1.4.3542". To do this, r-click RimWorld in the Steam library, go to properties, open the betas tab, and select the version from the dropdown.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 21, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2734032569

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
My next Rimworld adventure I'm going to enable saves so I have the courage to explore and understand more of the game. I basically don't understand how leaving your home map works and I've never done it in hundreds of hours played.

I've been told it's not a big deal and I mostly don't care but I need to open up my options.

Right now I've having problem with personnel. None of my colonists like each other, and none of them are hooking up. I have 10 at the moment, but I really need a few more to keep things running smoothly. Humanoids almost never attack, and when they do I've been efficient at killing them instead of imprisoning them (favoring assault rifles at the moment). Maybe I need to consider a "capture" party defense. The game is almost exclusively sending mechanoids, insects and manhunter packs at me.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Also I have this 101 year old colonist and call me disrespectful of the elderly or whatever but he is frail and super depressive and I'm curious do colonists die of old age?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

marumaru posted:

yeeeeeeah that kinda put me off too

Good news! I asked the Callouts 1.4 mod guy how to edit the text and got a detailed response:

quote:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882283988&tscn=1669047416

Yeah you can open the mod files at steamapps\workshop\content\294100\2882283988 and change the rules around. I recommend making a private copy (copy the folder and move it to steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods.
An in-game editor is currently not being planned. I believe there was some mod or another that lets you edit defs in-game, you could use that too.

And now I'm learning all about rude words to call someone:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good news! I asked the Callouts 1.4 mod guy how to edit the text and got a detailed response:

And now I'm learning all about rude words to call someone:

neat!
also lol at those insults. wew

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2889440091

glass half full type mod

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the setting it would be kind of funny to see a medieval lord yelling archaic insults at people.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jelly posted:

Also I have this 101 year old colonist and call me disrespectful of the elderly or whatever but he is frail and super depressive and I'm curious do colonists die of old age?

They'll suffer heart attacks and various sorts of organ failure, or just get the plague and be unable to overtake its progress even with glitterworld meds and a masterwork bed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

wondering how it works if you get the anti-senescence gene but don't have the ageless gene :thunk:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

easily the worst part of the vanilla expanded mod sets is the godawful names the storytellers get

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only one that always bothered me was "Diego Industrial". You're going to keep the vanilla alliteration theme for like ten other storytellers and then go with "Diego Industrial"??????

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As opposed to Randy Random and Cassandra Classic?

Kanos posted:

The only one that always bothered me was "Diego Industrial". You're going to keep the vanilla alliteration theme for like ten other storytellers and then go with "Diego Industrial"??????

It's a slightly more technologically updated version of 'Diego Dire', who locks the world to old-west tech. Still, bad name, I agree.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Should have gone with his brother, inigo.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Flesh Forge posted:

wondering how it works if you get the anti-senescence gene but don't have the ageless gene :thunk:

You have a perfectly healthy old person until the point they die of a heart attack, I guess? Dunno if heart attacks are covered by the gene, but it's what's happening to my chickens

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

easily the worst part of the vanilla expanded mod sets is the godawful names the storytellers get

The thing I like most about Winston is how they added an entirely new interface for rewards and boss waves and general information about what's about to attack you, be nice to see more storytellers start getting interfaces like that for niche storyteller roles

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

And they're all essentially the same. Only Winston stands out in my mind as doing something slightly different.

SRTS or someone else had a really good storyteller that scaled off of Science level, not wealth.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Jelly posted:

I don't actually know if they do, usually death from aging in Rimworld comes from participating in firefights until a pawn's number comes up (the intended system seems to be gaining health conditions on aging up).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I don't think there is any specific critical existence failure state due to age, it's just you're rolling a shitload of debilitating and hard to fix conditions and immunity craters as you age so diseases become unsurvivable even with good medicine, have to stuff them in the fish tank every time they get a cold.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kris xK posted:

And they're all essentially the same. Only Winston stands out in my mind as doing something slightly different.

SRTS or someone else had a really good storyteller that scaled off of Science level, not wealth.

I think it was SOS2

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anticheese posted:

You have a perfectly healthy old person until the point they die of a heart attack, I guess? Dunno if heart attacks are covered by the gene, but it's what's happening to my chickens

Yeah anti-senescence makes you immune to all of that bullshit.
e: I'm fairly certain there's some non-obvious stat modifiers inferred purely from age, like wound healing and immunity gain

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 21, 2022

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

From how its described they'll live a lot longer and not get the assorted old age afflictions but will still suffer the aging penalties to immunity speed and healing rate and the like so they'll still eventually get taken down by something. Not sure how long the actual effective lifespan would be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Jelly posted:

My next Rimworld adventure I'm going to enable saves so I have the courage to explore and understand more of the game. I basically don't understand how leaving your home map works and I've never done it in hundreds of hours played.

I've been told it's not a big deal and I mostly don't care but I need to open up my options.

Right now I've having problem with personnel. None of my colonists like each other, and none of them are hooking up. I have 10 at the moment, but I really need a few more to keep things running smoothly. Humanoids almost never attack, and when they do I've been efficient at killing them instead of imprisoning them (favoring assault rifles at the moment). Maybe I need to consider a "capture" party defense. The game is almost exclusively sending mechanoids, insects and manhunter packs at me.

I got rimworld back in early access before caravans and played most of my hours back then and then never engaged with the system after release. That is until biotech and my current run! Caravanning so far for me has just been exploring the random places that pop up near my settlement. It's a good little system once you know how to form and move your caravan around.

I missed a couple of rescue missions before I figured it out which is a shame. I'm also still making mistakes like not having medical skill in my caravan but it certainly expands your options a lot rather than waiting for Randy to hook you up with this month's terrible tragedy.

I've also figured.out what to do with my kids! One of them just got a life development and is my first pawn with a passion for crafting!