Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

dogstile posted:

Echoing that the biggest problem with vet right now is just the sheer amount of pubs that fire one shot with their pistol or whatever and then grab ammo.

I've even had pubs straight up ignore horde fights to go nab all the ammo in the room. At some point they should just turn on friendly fire for whoever's being a loving idiot.

Aside from that, there needs to be a clearer "YOU HAVE A MEDIKIT/AMMO PACK" icon somewhere. Nobody ever realizes that they have them.

At least vets can source their own grenades. Unless I have a vet with that grenade generating feat on the team I have gone whole missions with the zealot and not being able to pick up even once cache of grenades. And even if you do I still think zealots need a more reliable way to get grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just want to have a team of ogryns with one vet with the grenade aura so they can have boxes to donkey Kong at specials all day long.

bagrada posted:

The emperor gifted my zealot with a purple knife with 50 damage more than the others available to me. Stabby time.

Has anyone done any sunny outdoor levels? My buddy got one day one as his first mission but none since, like they forgot to remove them from tester beta after going early access. He's done all the mission types and just needs to force push 20 enemies off a cliff to get his hat. I'm stuck at 6/7 I think and also need to melee kill a charger while charging.

I've done a few of the sunny levels but like 90% of the time they fog up the map so you can't see anything but yellow poison vapor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What, if anything, does damage directly to health?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I played Zealot in the last beta and I made another last night and uh does anyone else think the active ability might be a little bugged?

Sometimes it restored all of my toughness, sometimes half of it, sometimes all of it. I mean maybe this was just me taking massive damage at the same time and the UI was poorly conveying that, but after I saw it a few times I started really focusing on my toughness bar while charging and it didn't act the way I expected.

CM on Discord confirmed it was nerfed to 50% of toughness on Zealot ability. Wasn't updated in time.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Anything not ranged, arguably fire because it immediately zeros your toughness.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

bagrada posted:

The emperor gifted my zealot with a purple knife with 50 damage more than the others available to me. Stabby time.

Has anyone done any sunny outdoor levels? My buddy got one day one as his first mission but none since, like they forgot to remove them from tester beta after going early access. He's done all the mission types and just needs to force push 20 enemies off a cliff to get his hat. I'm stuck at 6/7 I think and also need to melee kill a charger while charging.

I got that mission on the first day. It consistently CTDed me in the big arena where enemies charge down the stairs.

I think the reason it's out of rotation has something to do with that.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Melee hits do a tiny bit of direct health damage through toughness. I think stuff like Bursters and of course getting slammed by a Mutant does too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Melee chips through health if you have toughness and otherwise does direct damage.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

CM on Discord confirmed it was nerfed to 50% of toughness on Zealot ability. Wasn't updated in time.

Thanks, and this is a good example of how you can doubt yourself, I was pretty sure it was restoring half but when I made the post I was like "eh, in the heat of battle I maybe saw it do a lot of things".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Level 26 with Psyker and level 8 with Zealot and Sharpshooter and just 2 with Ogyn, Psyker is by far my favorite I think mainly because you can completely bypass the need for ammo and any frustrations that arise from teammates topping themselves off while you've been empty for the last 5 minutes and spending your gold trying to figure out if the Magurkinjurkin MkII gun or the GooglyFoogly MkVII gun is the one that doesn't suck rear end to use, nevermind deciphering bar graphs on the guns.

Psyker after the second day patch feels pretty good to play, just keep brain popping anything dangerous as they show up, use the lockon over the other brain pop 99% of the time unless you hear a mutant or dog about to round a corner, the thing that makes brain pop so powerful right now is that once you hit 100% peril after a few pops you can just quell for a half a second to hit 97% and continue popping.

Think of Peril as just like reloading for any other class, except you have infinite ammo and it'll reload itself if you don't touch it for awhile.

For melee I didn't like any of the swords besides dueling sword, I did not like force swords moveset though the charge was very good damage for bosses but I did not like the shove costing peril because I'd usually swap to melee when at 100% and VT2 trained me to spam shoves, dagger was amazing, axes were up there too, I might try the force sword again and can see it's use though I'd like some different movsets.

Of the Staff weapons available I mostly wanted something for crowd control I could bring out to also keep my peril high for quietitude healing, I found the flamethrower and chain lightning to be very effective, flamethrower seemed to be good against anything fleshy while the lightning was good against anything in metal armor, made sense, though the flamethrower was noticeable better at melting fleshy bosses, the trauma/conflag staff very much needs fast charging and the "cannot be interrupted" trait but is "fine" as far as the staff weapons go.

Though when I tried the fireball staff it does seem to be in a league above right now since they probably started building darktide on a version of vermintide2 before they nerfed the fireball staff, the thing shoots in a fast straight line instead of Sienna's slow lobbing arc and it'll damage everything it passes through on top of the explosion when it lands, incredibly easy to spam out and clear crowds.

I feel like Psyker is missing some feats that add an extra effect to warp charges besides the barely noticeable peril reduction and good ranged damage reduction that helps when popping gun squads, 3% damage per charge is really lackluster to chase after, but later on with free brain pop on hit feats or 4% chance to get a charge on anyone's kill means you'll be topped off most of the time without trying very hard, also soulblaze seems to be a 2 damage DoT per stack that lasts about 15 seconds, it's garbage and multiple stacks on a elite human enemy will take off about 10% of their health after 15 seconds, when you could just pop the head in 2.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Are the other staffs more accurate at clicking? I dumped the trauma staff because its fireballs are pretty inaccurate and the stagger is fine but you can do the same with a force sword push

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also I keep coming back to the axe, it reminds me of Saltzpyres machete, just fun to chunk things with

Orv
May 4, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Are the other staffs more accurate at clicking? I dumped the trauma staff because its fireballs are pretty inaccurate and the stagger is fine but you can do the same with a force sword push

I think the staff M1 is perfectly accurate if you're standing still? I haven't sat around and tested it but that seemed to be what I was seeing during gameplay.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's funny that of all the things that Fatshark cribbed from L4D the "clinging on a ledge because you walked over the wrong ledge" gimmick has remained through the years. Such a weird mechanic. I guess it's better than just plummeting to your doom but it's really hard to tell what ledges you can and cannot walk off sometimes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bought my first curio. What exactly does +1 wounds mean?

Also for some reason I can't equip or even discard this curio. I click it in the menu but when I go back to my operative's equipment screen the slot is still empty.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

marshmallow creep posted:

Also for some reason I can't equip or even discard this curio. I click it in the menu but when I go back to my operative's equipment screen the slot is still empty.

Wounds are for some reason what they call the pips of health, so this gives you +1 bar of health afaik
Edit: Oh I was a little off about that I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wounds are how many times you can be downed before dying, they're the discrete chunks in your health bar. Mind you without a +health/+max health trinket your HP remains the same, you can just go down one extra time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

You know those pieces your health bar is split into? Those are wounds.
If you go down once, one of them will be corrupted until you use one of the med stations, so having more will makes sure that you lose less max hp at a time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

sounds like they're aiming to have crafting in at release or shortly after

Oof, that doesn't sound good. They really shouldn't be releasing something as vital as crafting after release. It definitely does sound like they are building it as they're flying it.

It feels like they are trying to meet a release date. Wish they would have just delayed by a couple of months, but I suspect they didn't want to release into the holidays or the super packed month that February is lining up to be.

I'm still really enjoying it, but I get the feeling that it's going to be like VT2 at release where they had a huge amount of players who all just dropped off because poo poo was too janky.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
One other useful quirk of wounds is that whenever you get revived you're healed back to full minus the one wound. So if you have a bunch of extra wounds you'll barely notice the reduced HP from doing down, which can be quite useful at times when the game's stingy with medicae stations. (Although personally I've just stacked toughness buffs because of the Zealot synergy.)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hemale in pain posted:

I've succumbed and bought this. Praying to the emepror that i get lucky and it runs ok on my computer.

If you don't like it, steam let's you return it anytime in the early access window, so you can just return it on the 29th.

I rolled around with sharpshooter a bit last night. I've mostly been playing ogryn and Psyker so I've not been interacting much with the gunplay between psyker aim botting everything and the ogryn having kind of meh ranged options.

Gotta say I love the feel of the Las weapons. It's kind of nice to have a game that doesn't necessarily treat them as a joke for the sorts of enemies you mostly fight. Granted, crushers and maulers and the bosses are a big problem for it, but that's not anything that can't be solved by judicious use of an axe or shovel.

I'm not really hot on how slowly the new weapons show up though, and it seems like there's a bit too much overlap. Threres not much reason to use a regular sword when the power sword unlocks, there's a little bit too much overlap between the shovel and the Saber, except the latter does it faster, ect. It becomes really apparent on ogryn, who basically gets a weapon unlock every 4 ish levels, plus time it takes to get one from the store.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there supposed to be an equip button on the curio screen? Because I still can't equip this thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Is there supposed to be an equip button on the curio screen? Because I still can't equip this thing.

There is yeah, down in the middle bottom to the right of the curio window. I've seen reports that some people couldn't equip one until they bought a second? Unsure how real that is though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

You should be able to just double-click it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof, that doesn't sound good. They really shouldn't be releasing something as vital as crafting after release. It definitely does sound like they are building it as they're flying it.

It feels like they are trying to meet a release date. Wish they would have just delayed by a couple of months, but I suspect they didn't want to release into the holidays or the super packed month that February is lining up to be.

I'm still really enjoying it, but I get the feeling that it's going to be like VT2 at release where they had a huge amount of players who all just dropped off because poo poo was too janky.

I get there is a level of Fatshark jank to be expected, I played way more vt2 at launch than I should have. Crafting not being ready for release has me :catstare:-ing harder than anything else, especially given how weird and inconsistent getting new gear and upgrades can be. I figured they were holding back for launch because they didn't want beta people getting too much time on it and/or curbing crafting material stockpiling. It just not being ready is a while other level of wtf.

It makes me wonder what they could be referencing for the launch day surprise. What could they have ready to spring that wouldn't pull dev cycles away from finishing core functionality? A day 0 5th character could be a potential if they already had art and voice assets stewing since the announcement trailer, and getting like a ratling or commissar or the like could be interesting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be clear, the CM that said that about crafting being "launch or week 2 patch" said immediately after that they were hedging their bets just in case and expected people to freak out about it, release is the planned time for crafting to be available.

Whether that pans out or not I dunno, but it's a bit out of context there.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Can't wait to see the kind of slot machine mechanics theyve invented for crafting this time around

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I get there is a level of Fatshark jank to be expected, I played way more vt2 at launch than I should have. Crafting not being ready for release has me :catstare:-ing harder than anything else, especially given how weird and inconsistent getting new gear and upgrades can be. I figured they were holding back for launch because they didn't want beta people getting too much time on it and/or curbing crafting material stockpiling. It just not being ready is a while other level of wtf.

It makes me wonder what they could be referencing for the launch day surprise. What could they have ready to spring that wouldn't pull dev cycles away from finishing core functionality? A day 0 5th character could be a potential if they already had art and voice assets stewing since the announcement trailer, and getting like a ratling or commissar or the like could be interesting.

It will be a t-shirt for the Ogryn. It will have the fatshark logo on the back, and "MY LARGE SON" on the front.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Orv posted:

There is yeah, down in the middle bottom to the right of the curio window. I've seen reports that some people couldn't equip one until they bought a second? Unsure how real that is though.

I think they may be on to something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think they may be on to something.

Can you double click it?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Orv posted:

To be clear, the CM that said that about crafting being "launch or week 2 patch" said immediately after that they were hedging their bets just in case and expected people to freak out about it, release is the planned time for crafting to be available.

Whether that pans out or not I dunno, but it's a bit out of context there.

That's perfectly good context, but there shouldn't be an or. It's something they should have already had ready.

Fishstick posted:

Can't wait to see the kind of slot machine mechanics theyve invented for crafting this time around

They could have just taken the crafting and loot from Vermintide 2 and it would have been an improvement.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

explosivo posted:

Can you double click it?

Tried that. Nothing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tried that. Nothing.

Figured but thought I'd ask. Seems hosed!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

When waving the incense burner over your keyboard and reciting the prayer, was your heart sincere?

Orv
May 4, 2011

That's perfectly good context, but there shouldn't be an or. It's something they should have already had ready.

While I don't disagree, remember that in the closed beta people didn't share crafting material pickups - which is in itself absolutely absurd - so I suspect they had to rapidly revamp whatever ridiculous bullshit the crafting system was.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orv posted:

While I don't disagree, remember that in the closed beta people didn't share crafting material pickups - which is in itself absolutely absurd - so I suspect they had to rapidly revamp whatever ridiculous bullshit the crafting system was.

Jesus I didn't realize that. I think I was scooping all of those up that I saw haha.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

They could have just taken the crafting and loot from Vermintide 2 and it would have been an improvement.

Didn't vermintide2 have a issue where they sped up the glacial slow crafting speeds and that ended up regularly crashing the game for people because the game couldn't keep up with the new speed?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

terrorist ambulance posted:

The first staff's fireballs are actually pretty good, you can land headshots with them on static targets or those that are running at you head on pretty easily. It's not a sniper rifle but it works pretty well. You just have to account for the slower projectile movement and sometimes have to shoot a few times, which is helpful because you effectively have infinite ammo and can purge while moving with the staff out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My hot take is that item power and all that poo poo is AIDS and they should have left it at VT1's coloured rarity+random effect rolls. :colbert:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Didn't vermintide2 have a issue where they sped up the glacial slow crafting speeds and that ended up regularly crashing the game for people because the game couldn't keep up with the new speed?

If that's true, I suspect that was when they started letting you open multiple loot boxes at once. I don't know, I wasn't playing when they made that change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I get the vibe that they're doing everything they can just to keep this thing up and running right now, and the features people are expecting will just have to wait until they have the basics down.