Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Not only do stores get to write losses off in insurance (even in cases when they get the items back in perfect condition and sell them to someone else) but places like Walmart get to basically place a $600 charge on any caught shoplifter aside from the charges the cops get you with. If you don't pay, it goes on your credit report and wrecks it. The other customers don't pay for it.

Used to be a security guard; long story short, gently caress Walmart.

E: goddamn what a lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Only the most pathetic people get upset about shoplifters. They just do it because they like having someone to look down on and feel superior to.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

therobit posted:

They have quiet corridors in some places but it requires expensive infrastructure improvements to make sure nobody crosses at a bad time and gets turned into paste. A lot of places do not want to invest this money and consequently the train conductors have to blow the horn to warn anyone who might be on the tracks to get out of the way so they don’t die.

There is an entire neighborhood near me that has “station” in its name. Because there was a station there from the 1800s until the homes were built. It is also right where BNSF tracks end and Union Pacific tracks begin. The BNSF trains sometimes have to wait for anywhere from an hour to a day or two because of course Union Pacific gives priority to their own freight over BNSF. The trains have to stop in that neighborhood because in front is the UP tracks and behind is a bridge.

Whenever a train stays there idling for more than an hour the people freak out on NextDoor about it and say the pollution from the diesel smoke is going to kill them. Unlike most other people living next to an environmental hazard, all of these people are homeowners and because a lot of the homes have river frontage they all have money. They seem to be incapable of understanding that if you buy a property that backs to a rail line there are going to be trains, or that the trains need to idle so that the railroad employees have temperature control and don’t freeze or roast depending how n the season. The whole situation is a glorious bit of schadenfruede.

This isn't even about huge freight trains - this is a single track electrified branch of a regional passenger railroad. There's like one industrial customer left and they're about ten miles inward of Mark.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Edmund Sparkler posted:

They just do it because they like having someone to look down on and feel superior to.

I had a buddy who did security and got a thrill out of chasing shoplifters down and tackling and pinning them. Was a wrestler in HS.

He didn't give a poo poo about the business or the official "don't do that" policy.

Some people just need an outlet I guess. He never went too far with it. Leave that for the cops when they show up.

Never hit his partner either.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Only the most pathetic people get upset about shoplifters. They just do it because they like having someone to look down on and feel superior to.

I don't like shoplifting but I'm kind of a straight edge guy when it comes to that. Just don't steal. But that's a personal thing with me.

However, I am absolutely not going to lose sleep over someone stealing a candy bar from a multi billion dollar company. gently caress them. I mean, gently caress walmart in general. They can get hosed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RoastBeef posted:

This isn't even about huge freight trains - this is a single track electrified branch of a regional passenger railroad. There's like one industrial customer left and they're about ten miles inward of Mark.

Trains a train. Even a passenger train will take about two kilometers to come to a stop from normal speed. So they'll make a noise whenever there is a level crossing coming up on a bit of corner, or anywhere else where there's even the slightest chance there may be someone who needs to know it's a good idea to get out of the way. If they know some people will be working around the track is a pretty usually one.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't like shoplifting but I'm kind of a straight edge guy when it comes to that. Just don't steal. But that's a personal thing with me.

However, I am absolutely not going to lose sleep over someone stealing a candy bar from a multi billion dollar company. gently caress them. I mean, gently caress walmart in general. They can get hosed.

IMO if Walmart doesn’t want people to shoplift maybe they should have more than one register open.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

therobit posted:

IMO if Walmart doesn’t want people to shoplift maybe they should have more than one register open.

To be fair that's a common problem with literally every loving grocery store. I go to one here which is very nice and they have 8 or so self check out lanes and exactly 2, sometimes open, registers with the conveyor belt and all. One sign says "We bag" and one says "You bag." So they don't even want to pay for 2 baggers.

I go to the store rarely so I buy a full small cart of stuff (not a basket but those half carts) but it'd take me 10+ minutes to scan and bag the poo poo all myself. And I'd imagine there'd be an issue and the light would go off and some young girl would come over and scan her card and let me go again after she helps the other 2 people with the light going off.

Yeah maybe that's a boomer thing to bitch about but wtf. If you're going to make ME do my own work to make sure I give YOU money then go gently caress yourself. Scan it yourself you number crunching pieces of poo poo.

I wait in the line for the "We bag." I'm not about to take 40 items to the little kiosk.

gently caress these companies.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

To be fair that's a common problem with literally every loving grocery store. I go to one here which is very nice and they have 8 or so self check out lanes and exactly 2, sometimes open, registers with the conveyor belt and all. One sign says "We bag" and one says "You bag." So they don't even want to pay for 2 baggers.

I go to the store rarely so I buy a full small cart of stuff (not a basket but those half carts) but it'd take me 10+ minutes to scan and bag the poo poo all myself. And I'd imagine there'd be an issue and the light would go off and some young girl would come over and scan her card and let me go again after she helps the other 2 people with the light going off.

Yeah maybe that's a boomer thing to bitch about but wtf. If you're going to make ME do my own work to make sure I give YOU money then go gently caress yourself. Scan it yourself you number crunching pieces of poo poo.

I wait in the line for the "We bag." I'm not about to take 40 items to the little kiosk.

gently caress these companies.

I always line up for bagging. No scabs, not even myself.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/12/shadow-work-automation-tedious-jobs-oliver-burkeman

This is a brief little article but touches on how lovely self checkouts and similar shadow work enabling technology is

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Winco Foods here in the NW is employee owned (like actually not just as a fig leaf like Bi-Mart) and they have like 4-6 self checks but run like ten or more check stands on the weekend and even late night have checkers. It is all self-bagging unfortunately but they are cheaper than any other major grocery store in town and have a pretty decent selection.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i almost got into a fight with a stock checking robot they got in shoprite now. i was looking for my wife and finally found her in dairy, looking at yogurt and i walk up to her and I have to sidestep this goofy johnny five unit with googly eyes on it and i'm going around it and the thing actually runs into me and I says "watch where the gently caress you're going, you piece of poo poo" and i shove it and it says beep boop beep and it backed off but i was ready to throw hands fr

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

therobit posted:

Winco Foods here in the NW is employee owned (like actually not just as a fig leaf like Bi-Mart) and they have like 4-6 self checks but run like ten or more check stands on the weekend and even late night have checkers. It is all self-bagging unfortunately but they are cheaper than any other major grocery store in town and have a pretty decent selection.

Yeah, and even at other stores it's gotten to the point where I prefer bagging my own groceries even if I am checking out with a cashier. Throughout the pandemic I've been bagging my own groceries, and combined with bringing my own bags I've gotten pretty skilled at the whole process. I am fast and I don't end up crushing poo poo or bruising my apples or any of the other poo poo I've had happen sometimes in normal checkout lanes. :bahgawd:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I use self-checkout because I'm just an awkward, social anxiety-laden, miserable person who doesn't want to interact with a human.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 21, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

kntfkr posted:

i almost got into a fight with a stock checking robot they got in shoprite now. i was looking for my wife and finally found her in dairy, looking at yogurt and i walk up to her and I have to sidestep this goofy johnny five unit with googly eyes on it and i'm going around it and the thing actually runs into me and I says "watch where the gently caress you're going, you piece of poo poo" and i shove it and it says beep boop beep and it backed off but i was ready to throw hands fr

The robot was loving your wife in the dairy aisle dude

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Soul Dentist posted:

Seriously, she was getting that sweet sweet robo-cock.

Robo-jizz too.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
tally fucks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soul Dentist posted:

Calling her a Tally ho?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Wife-loving aside, those drat stocking robots are a loving menace and I hate them so much.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

wesleywillis posted:

Seriously, she was getting that sweet sweet robo-cock.

Robo-jizz too.

That explains the WD40 smell.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

gently caress I hate it when that happens to me. Cucked by our robotic overlords.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It would be pretty funny to attach a suction cuppable dildo to the tally robot. It doesn't have hands so there isn't poo poo it could do about it. Idiot.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

It was this robot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMquhqX8tLU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the let's go Brandon banner guy in a neighborhood near me recently stacked up piles of firewood in his front yard with a sign saying it's for sale. pretty sure it's a trap

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

hawowanlawow posted:

the let's go Brandon banner guy in a neighborhood near me recently stacked up piles of firewood in his front yard with a sign saying it's for sale. pretty sure it's a trap

Some people sell firewood for quick cash, others sell it for “blank 2024 mail-in ballots.”

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hawowanlawow posted:

Light them on fire

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

therobit posted:

Winco loving rocks, they spoiled me for every other grocery chain. Just like when I was a kid - more than three or four customers in the lines? Call back for MORE CHECKERS. Plus their bulk-food section is amazing in its breadth, do you know you can buy the Mac-n-cheese powder that comes in the little envelope by the pound? At Winco you can. Too bad they’re not more widespread.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, the other thing I like is that because of the true employee ownership and it being an union shop, the benefits there are apparently really good. From what I have been told by people in the grocery industry, if you work at Winco as a checker for an entire career and take your stock grants and pension, you can retire pretty comfortably. For this reason they also have people there that have been there forever and don’t seem burned out and dead eyed. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom knew the cashiers at the grocery store because they had all been there for years and were able to make a working class living checking groceries rather than struggling to keep their head above water.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

therobit posted:

Yeah, the other thing I like is that because of the true employee ownership and it being an union shop, the benefits there are apparently really good. From what I have been told by people in the grocery industry, if you work at Winco as a checker for an entire career and take your stock grants and pension, you can retire pretty comfortably. For this reason they also have people there that have been there forever and don’t seem burned out and dead eyed. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom knew the cashiers at the grocery store because they had all been there for years and were able to make a working class living checking groceries rather than struggling to keep their head above water.

Internally Winco has the 'Millionaires Club' which is for employees whose retirement plans have passed the million dollar mark. They get little pins that say millionaire on them, they aren't required to wear them but every now and again you'll see some cashier or shelf stocker wearing one. I can't find the article but there was an article that talked about how the Corvallis store has something like 150 employees and a total retirement value of $100 million collectively between them all.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
UPS used to be like that.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

therobit posted:

Most definitely. Back when I was driving semi-trucks after the ‘08 meltdown, I was going to try to get a regional route with Winco because of the good labor reputation it had.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bargearse posted:

That explains the WD40 smell.

WD 40

Women Dicked 40 (per day)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Me personally, I like to contribute to society in a negative way. Neutral at best, maybe.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

the post a week later definitely won't be GANGS OF TEENAGERS WITH SHARP WEAPONS ARE CASING THE NEIGHBORHOOD EVERYONE BE ON ALERT WITH PISTOLS DRAWN

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Teenagers are planting spiders in your leaf piles right now.

You'd like to take a roll in one but nope, just collecting and distributing big hairy spiders to leaf piles.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Something tells me that this person would not be willing to pay said students to rake the leaves and just wants free labor.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The teenagers may be paid in as many wet leaves as they want.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
these kids these days will learn a valuable lesson by doing a hard day's work and not playing on their phones doing twitter tocks all day

you can't teach that in school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe retirees should work together to rake leaves. To keep them out of trouble.