Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

If that quote reads the same to you as massing 170,000+ troops with plans for a multi-axis invasion on a specified timeline, that is just your own bias or lack of reading and understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cerebral Bore posted:

explains a lot about mlmp that he thinks making the same prediction over and over until it eventually comes true due to sheer coincidence is some sign of genius

He took the saying "A broken clock is right twice a day" as aspirational.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Generation Zenz

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Breedlove is one Bond girl-rear end name

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
not all broken clocks are right twice a day, the clock in my office gets the time from a radio transmitter but we have a bad signal here so its right zero times a day and we cant adjust it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/joekellyca/status/1594683641350815746

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I was wrong about Russia invading but the same people who were right immediately went “lol Russia didn’t bring enough troops to invade.” That’s why I thought they wouldn’t! believing they would with not enough troops is a dumb belief that happened to be correct.

also the same people who were right about Russia invading have spent the war saying Russia has lost every battle, has continually been out of ammo and will be out of missiles “tomorrow” so they’re just spouting propaganda that’s been consistently wrong. The propaganda was right on the invasion happening though but it hasn’t exactly been covered in glory since then.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

idk why people think being right and wrong about predictions is such an own anyways. everyones just wild rear end speculating here most of the time, people itt dont claim to be OSINT dweebs

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

idk why people think being right and wrong about predictions is such an own anyways. everyones just wild rear end speculating here most of the time, people itt dont claim to be OSINT dweebs

people still post about what people in gbs predicted from 2001-2003

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

speng31b posted:

prediction is basically a form of gambling where you bet the right to dunk on the people who were wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the important thing is the remember when you were right and forget when you were wrong

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

if your entire personality is based on pedantic quibbling you don't have many other options, i guess

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well when the propaganda machine puts out stories like this

If they’re the ones doing it, they can predict a terrorist attack in Belorussia, obviously they would be blamed, and now they’ve come out ahead of it.

I don’t think war was inevitable in January, and the western certainty was at least in part because they ensured that from the Ukrainian side no other options were being offered.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
actually the important thing is to be right all the time :colbert:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
As long as you predict both outcomes you'll always have a post you can point back to and show you were right.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Best Friends posted:

I was wrong about Russia invading but the same people who were right immediately went “lol Russia didn’t bring enough troops to invade.” That’s why I thought they wouldn’t! believing they would with not enough troops is a dumb belief that happened to be correct.

this was my belief at the time which turned out to be correct, anyone aware of the political situation in January could have looked at the buildup and immediately concluded "oh they're going to need like 3-5x as many troops as that if they're seriously trying to invade and occupy territory, and invading and occupying territory probably won't actually realize any of their goals and just make the rest of the world hate them". its just that Putin is apparently much stupider than a bunch of armchair internet generals and I guess thought ukraine would surrender and negotiate right away

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe we should wait to see what the final settlement is before giving people performance grades

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In 1967 the Soviets mobilized troops, readied them for deployment and made it clear that if Israel continued to drive towards Damascus or Cairo, they would enter the war. The US, seeing the military preparation and receiving the diplomatic communications, told Israel to back down through backchannels.

If instead they went to the press with story after story “Soviets plan to invade Israel”, encouraged Israel to keep going etc. could we credit their predictive powers?

e: The other thing is yeah, the reported Russian troop count was too low for an invasion, and it was mud season, so it followed that they were posturing and not planning an operation. Well, politics trumped planning and here we are.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

maybe we should wait to see what the final settlement is before giving people performance grades

no its time for the midsemester progress report

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Well, folks, when you're right 52% of the time, you're wrong 48% of the time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Uh what the gently caress is going on with Serbia/Bosnia/Kosovo right now? I now have a meeting scheduled for it this afternoon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone say "WATCH PUTIN START A loving WAR"?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://ria-ru.turbopages.org/turbo/ria.ru/s/20221121/zaes-1833097938.html

Schroedingers public statement

quote:

"But most importantly, I think a security zone will only be possible if it is approved by Washington. Whether it will be approved in Washington, I do not know, but it seems to me that the great distance between Washington and Zaporizhzhya should not be an argument for the leadership of the United States to put the brakes on the decision on the safety zone. As you know, the atom knows no borders, and radioactivity knows no nationality, so many leaders of many of the world's leading powers need to come to their senses and already restrain the politicians in Kiev, who seem to be starting to allow nuclear incidents to be used in their own interests, among other things.

English twitter: They're doing a false flag!

Russian telegram: They're running away again!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Uh what the gently caress is going on with Serbia/Bosnia/Kosovo right now? I now have a meeting scheduled for it this afternoon.

I thought it was the license thing that got put off for a few months?

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1594712193031110656

A few weeks ago it was all posturing.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1594745699094118405?s=20&t=YSpqBD01KVuqvTjxmYp14w

speng31b
May 8, 2010

good guy bad guy brain is a hell of a drug, literally watching the warcrimes happen and thinking "it doesnt look like anything to me"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Group A :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Excellent use of passive voice.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

good guy bad guy brain is a hell of a drug, literally watching the warcrimes happen and thinking "it doesnt look like anything to me"

It seems way more like Officer Involved Shooting Brain, which is par the course for liberalism.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Being right or wrong doesn't matter, what matters is that you post through it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s anti Turkish discrimination https://twitter.com/antiturkism/status/1594747391676137490

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is this from the 1944 world cup

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

You did a warcrimes denialism!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

is this from the 1944 world cup

definitely not from the 2022 world cup lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip senegal, destroyed by NATO

speng31b
May 8, 2010

IAEA statements ukraine shelling Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant but not being allowed to say it's Ukraine results in some funny quotes

Al Jazeera posted:

UN atomic watchdog chief Rafael Grossi has denounced the “targeted” strikes at Ukraine’s Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, calling for a “stop to this madness”.

Around a dozen strikes had targeted the plant, he said, and the situation was “very serious”, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) told French broadcaster BFM TV.

It was an outrage that some people “consider a nuclear power plant to be a legitimate military target”, he said.

While he did not blame either Russia or Ukraine, Grossi said: “Whoever it is, stop this madness!”

“The people who are doing this know where they are hitting. It is absolutely deliberate, targeted.”

hey, you over there! yeah, you know who you are. stop it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the nuclear plant is being shelled by a mysterious third faction. no way to know

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

isnt constructing a shell around the facility a good thing?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Rutibex posted:

maybe the nuclear plant is being shelled by a mysterious third faction. no way to know

Greenpeace up to their old tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ukrainians trying to make the first dyson sphere and we're mocking them