Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They've gotten so loving bad lately. I'd gotten used to tuning out the 40,000 perfume ads and now we get the gigantic sly and I want to scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah it's a case study in being really stupid. People can live with sidebar ads or top/bottom of page but giant ones that intrude into the middle are only going to get more clicks from people accidentally hitting them while trying to scroll and are massively annoying

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
When I cancelled my Athletic subscription the before you go banner was still promising an ad free experience. Glad to see they are keeping it seamless and unobtrusive or however they worded it.

Have any numbers released since NYT bought them out?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

This is an ad in the middle of an article on The Athletic app. It literally takes up the entire screen essentially. What the gently caress.

I canceled after the NYT deal but my subscription still runs through December. The ads have gotten ridiculous. I don't know what the subscription fee is even for anymore.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The athletic was enticing as an arizona resident when they had a beat writer or two for each team and now it looks like they don't have any. You're better off getting a candy bar from the gas station and reading espn.com

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just went to cancel and got a 70% off deal which I figure I'll take but they're like, two writers leaving away from there being no point for me anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

hifi posted:

The athletic was enticing as an arizona resident when they had a beat writer or two for each team and now it looks like they don't have any. You're better off getting a candy bar from the gas station and reading espn.com

Three beat writers for the Lakers though, all to just plagiarize r/lakers posts until Shams writes something for them to re-write.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
their sox/bears/LSU people are great, jeff gluck is great, and I just scroll past the ads

got a huge deal to renew, assume come July I'll get another

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Mine is set to expire in a month, and lol at the idea of paying $72 a year for what it is now. If they send me a coupon I’ll do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah I'm on the $1 a month right now after getting a couple free years from T-Mobile. I only read it on PC and the ads with my suite of ad blockers haven't been to bad. But I'm not going to pay anywhere near full price.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PC ad-blocker has been going well, maybe I’m lucky to be in a region their ad sales aren’t reaching because I’m only seeing house ads (eg for Athletic podcasts) in the app.

I’m subscribed through next summer but will be seriously considering it moving forward. The price is going up and the quality isn’t matching.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

PC ad-blocker has been going well, maybe I’m lucky to be in a region their ad sales aren’t reaching because I’m only seeing house ads (eg for Athletic podcasts) in the app.

I’m subscribed through next summer but will be seriously considering it moving forward. The price is going up and the quality isn’t matching.
The problem is that increasing numbers of sites aren't letting you access their articles if you have any kind of ad blocker installed.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I never used the athletic app and just login on my phone through the browser so it really negates alot of that annoying poo poo. Not defending this either, but I would stay away from the app now if they are dropping those big rear end ads.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

The problem is that increasing numbers of sites aren't letting you access their articles if you have any kind of ad blocker installed.

Whatever combo of iOS operating system-level blocker, ad block apps, and selection of websites isn't really impacting me that much. Last one that completely shut me out was something from a Twitter link, so it wasn't something I worried too much about.

Might replace the Athletic app with a web bookmark if it really bothers me. Hrm.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's going to be really funny if the Athletic collapses and Kalyn Kahler ends up back at Defector.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The X-man cometh posted:

It's going to be really funny if the Athletic collapses and Kalyn Kahler ends up back at Defector.

I'm selfishly ok with this because I enjoy her writing and have no desire to subscribe to the Athletic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm sad she stopped the QB2 videos when she moved because those were fun.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sheaserrano/status/1594770570331185152?s=46&t=GZTT1UiTztbDTmRqHcYTEw

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1595076313328631813

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm sad she stopped the QB2 videos when she moved because those were fun.

they're back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9cSZnT3_w

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Sorry for the random question but this seemed like the most appropriate thread on the front page to ask so...

How come the disabling of commentary on TV coverage isn't widespread? Commentary is handy in sports I'm not familiar with but when I'm watching cricket or football it just ends up annoying me. I remember seeing it as a feature on various channels in the past but no more. Is the problem that it's so popular a choice that commentators feel their jobs are under threat?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fuckpot posted:

Sorry for the random question but this seemed like the most appropriate thread on the front page to ask so...

How come the disabling of commentary on TV coverage isn't widespread? Commentary is handy in sports I'm not familiar with but when I'm watching cricket or football it just ends up annoying me. I remember seeing it as a feature on various channels in the past but no more. Is the problem that it's so popular a choice that commentators feel their jobs are under threat?

It obviously depends on the sport and broadcast but a lot of those commentators are also doing live reads for advertisers and upcoming programming and those reads are worth a ton of money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It used to be that if you have a surround sound system, you could disable the center channel and cut out all commentary that way while still getting the on-field/court sounds.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, other than that trick, I don’t recall there ever being a widespread option to not have commentary on any sports broadcast. I think some of ESPN’s MegaCasts have offered it buried on like ESPNEWS or ESPN Classic for some big college football games, and maybe it’s an option for some streaming services, but I don’t think it’s common and I can’t recall it ever being done on an NFL game in recent memory.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Capitals Playoff games were (accidentally?) commentary free on the SAP option. it was almost like being in the arena, especially during the always tense and usually tragic Game 7’s.

World Cup in 2018(?) had an option to see the whole field and also was commentary free.

But yeah, it’s a niche request so you’re usually not gonna be able to find it done purposely.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

You can cut all commentary and just have the sound of the on-field microphones on MLB.tv games.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Just pay a friend to go to the game, call you on the phone, and put you on speakerphone.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
22 Goals is such a missed opportunity, I’d kill for the same research to go into a series of articles instead of having Brian Phillips awkwardly overenunciate a monologue over typical annoying Ringer production

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

22 Goals is such a missed opportunity, I’d kill for the same research to go into a series of articles instead of having Brian Phillips awkwardly overenunciate a monologue over typical annoying Ringer production

The ringer publishes them as articles. I've read all of them, but have no desire to listen to it as a podcast.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

R.D. Mangles posted:

The ringer publishes them as articles. I've read all of them, but have no desire to listen to it as a podcast.

Oh hell yeah

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The one currently up about Michael Owen's goal at the 1998 World Cup tells you all you need to know about the British tabloids and how much the national team repeatedly steps on rakes

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Brian Phillips is wasted at the ringer, it sucks.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I had to stop reading the 22 goals articles. I like the idea and the stories are compelling, but Phillips has some tendencies that I find annoying and over the course of that many articles at that length they really shine through.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah I like Phillips a lot but the sentence "There is a question hanging over this essay like my mouse cursor over the ACTIVATE FREE TRIAL button on literally any streaming service with a Miss Marple vertical" is the kind of wild self-indulgence that really needs to be delivered sparingly

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

No reading The Athletic tomorrow

https://twitter.com/amandahess/status/1600547516059045890

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why is this supposed to be my problem

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Generally you want to not cross a(in this case digital) picket line.

No one is going to like hunt you down and kill you it's just a request to support worker actions.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

General Dog posted:

Don't cross picket lines unless it's a matter of life or death.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Are the Athletic writers part of the strike? I seem to recall recently the NYT writers were adamantly refusing to consider Athletic writers members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

General Dog posted:

When workers go on strike, consumers can show management that the workers have broad support by refusing to patronize the business until the strike is resolved. It's not rocket science.