Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

B-Rock452 posted:

I think that is kind of his plan but also it's going to drive away all the people that the alt right want to yell at and bully. If it's just a giant echo chamber it won't be fun for his fans, they want to be able call someone slurs directly over the internet and if everyone else leaves they can't do that

That's sortof a thing that happened with the KKK in the northwest. It ended up dying down in places because it was too white to keep the hate going. If there's no minorities around to bother, then it's hard to keep the minority bothering group together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drone_Fragger posted:

Elon doesnt understand thst the chuds want a place with LIBERALS!!! For them to bully. When the chuds get left in a big echo chamber woth people they only agree with thet eventually turn on themselves and start accusing eachother of being liberal plants or government agents or whatever, which then causes it all to fall apart. This poo poo happens repeatedly with those wierd militia movements, the tea party, even the republicans with their bizare RINO poo poo.

Doesnt matter how bad these poo poo eating bootlickers have it, they'll tolerate it forever, as long as, in their opinion, someone else deserves to have it worse. Elon should be careful that doesnt become him with that pathetic alex jones and donald trump debacle.

What I'm hearing is that Twitter is a pve + pvp open server

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

PVPRP

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Didn’t Musk admit that the whole hyper loop thing was just a scam/bluff to prevent some public transit plan?

E: Yup.
https://thepowerofknowledge.xyz/elon-musks-big-lie-about-the-hyperloop-has-just-been-exposed-c84af4a9c659

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Elon is looking to get some ERP going but his partner won't log in and stopped responding to his messages

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

B-Rock452 posted:

I think that is kind of his plan but also it's going to drive away all the people that the alt right want to yell at and bully. If it's just a giant echo chamber it won't be fun for his fans, they want to be able call someone slurs directly over the internet and if everyone else leaves they can't do that
Exactly. It's why right wing social media platforms don't work.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Frank Frank posted:

Didn’t Musk admit that the whole hyper loop thing was just a scam/bluff to prevent some public transit plan?

E: Yup.
https://thepowerofknowledge.xyz/elon-musks-big-lie-about-the-hyperloop-has-just-been-exposed-c84af4a9c659

This reads like AI generated garbage. Why would he need to tank a rail project? Occams Razor suggest incompetence and mismanagement are more likely, which Twitter is reinforcing.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Well, that’s not always true. Boomers love to go on Facebook and type in all caps about kids these days. Next door full of people calling the cops on black people. And a lot of much smaller forums across the internet like 4chan.

There’s a solid contingent of ring wingers (usually on the younger side, more angry but incapable of real “activism”) who are fueled by that outrage and just screaming into the void on Facebook about it just ain’t good enough.

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 21, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Drone_Fragger posted:

Elon doesnt understand thst the chuds want a place with LIBERALS!!! For them to bully.

Dale Reed sought no such thing

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Mr. Crow posted:

This reads like AI generated garbage. Why would he need to tank a rail project? Occams Razor suggest incompetence and mismanagement are more likely, which Twitter is reinforcing.

Yeah even a narrative of Musk as a conniving mustache twirler still gives into this image of him as an effective agent of industry, as opposed to a bumbling idiot.

I have no doubt it was a sincere belief he held that they’d push cars around in inescapable tubes. It’s just dead-on in terms of dumb ideas

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Rust Martialis posted:

Dale Reed sought no such thing

Boomers are gonna be boomers but don't underestimate how many right wing morons watch "Ben Shapiro's DECIMATES liberal college student with LOGIC" and want to try the same thing. But they don't care about the logic and just want to bully. That's all it is. They want to bully those they see as less than them cause they have nothing else in their pathetic lives

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Well, that’s not always true. Boomers love to go on Facebook and type in all caps about kids these days. Next door full of people calling the cops on black people. And a lot of much smaller forums across the internet like 4chan.

There’s a solid contingent of ring wingers (usually on the younger side, more angry but incapable of real “activism”) who are fueled by that outrage and just screaming into the void on Facebook about it just ain’t good enough.

Most of the right wing channers are in their 40s right now.

Hell Musk is from that whole era (or claims to be for embarassing clout chasing) and he's 51.

There really are not a ton of young alt right people online- at most it's the few angry incels that get sucked into the Crowder/ Tim Pool/ Charlie Kirk vortex of pretending to appeal to 25 year olds for an audience of 50 year olds.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mr. Crow posted:

Ok, how about Time magazine then?

https://time.com/6203815/elon-musk-flaws-billionaire-visions/

quote:

He has a history of floating false solutions to the drawbacks of our over-reliance on cars that stifle efforts to give people other options. The Boring Company was supposed to solve traffic, not be the Las Vegas amusement ride it is now. As I’ve written in my book, Musk admitted to his biographer Ashlee Vance that Hyperloop was all about trying to get legislators to cancel plans for high-speed rail in California—even though he had no plans to build it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah even a narrative of Musk as a conniving mustache twirler still gives into this image of him as an effective agent of industry, as opposed to a bumbling idiot.

I have no doubt it was a sincere belief he held that they’d push cars around in inescapable tubes. It’s just dead-on in terms of dumb ideas

I thought I had read somewhere that the big thing that killed the high speed rail was every single petty politician between the two endpoints refusing to budge on rights of way unless the train stopped in their district resulting in a high speed line that had a route that looked like my ekg and a top speed of about 30mph

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Keep in mind it's very likely that Musk just assumed he could fire all of Twitter and that he would have a legion of people beating down his door to replace them for the opportunity to work for the Great Elon Musk (and was likely just as shocked when nobody clicked "yes" on that stupid email, leaving him with just the people who are stuck there due to visa concerns, and the hardest of hardcore bootlickers). He's not just an idiot, he's an idiot who's bought fully into his own hype, so trying (and failing) to anoint himself King of the Chuds via Twitter really wouldn't be all that out of character for him (and neither is the fact that he's doing it in the stupidest ways possible).

Given that he runs his other companies exactly like that, it's likely he though it would work here too. Both Tesla and SpaceX are notoriously abusive workplaces that are well known for hiring young idealistic engineers who buy into the hype and spitting out the broken husks a year later. That works there because he's been doing it for a long time so all the seniors who stayed on and ended up in management are self selected to be supreme bootlickers, so if someone dares complain about anything they are browbeaten by basically the whole hierarchy. Thing is that doesn't work when you buy a company that has a healthier work culture, since people who didn't sign up for this poo poo are going to resent the hell out of you and once a few have the courage to speak up and tell him to go gently caress himself, it tends to snowball as people slowly start talking among themselves.

Once you see a critical mass of other people start to speak up with what you think are valid and reasonable questions, even the meek employees who would have endured the abuse otherwise are going to start to make some noise. Once that starts Elon can either back down, make some conciliatory noises and then, later, slowly ratchet up the pressure and slow boil them so it never reaches that critical mass, or he can do what he did and double down and try to intimate them by going full Madman Theory on them and basically broadcast from the rooftops that he's not afraid to blow up the company to get his way. Since he's an impulsive dumbass he took the second route and it blew up on him, bad, so now he's stuck. He can't back down, even if his ego allowed it his net worth is tied in stock with insane valuation based solely of his Very Stable Business Genius image. That's why it's so chaotic now, he took a big gamble like he always does, then tried to bluff his way trough it once it started to go sour. Historically that has worked for him, but he never did it so publicly before.

So now he has the choice to VERY publicly eat crow to try and save Twitter and tank his stock and image, since the bootlickers would HATE him for that and everyone else would cheer to have him humiliated, or keep doubling down, basically write off the money he put into Twitter, and just keep trying to project a confident image.

I mean it's not like anyone who isn't in some way into the Cult of Musk thinks Telsa is worth 10 times Ford or Volkswagen, so the stock has nowhere to go but down if he backs off.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://post.news/

Another site looking to replace dead gay twitter

they're on the right track with "post", not so sure about the ".news"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Car companies tanking public transportation is as old as cars themselves, it doesn’t take a master to figure out that scheme

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bad Purchase posted:

they're on the right track with "post", not so sure about the ".news"

quote:

Remember when social media was fun, introduced you to big ideas and cool people, and actually made you smarter?

No.

quote:

Remember when it didn't waste your time and make you angry or sad? When you could disagree with someone without being threatened or insulted?

No.

This post.news place sounds like a real whiff whiff whiff

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol at a company saying Social media was good at some point

Like when?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

https://www.just.post would be a sick name for a twitter replacement.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Keep in mind it's very likely that Musk just assumed he could fire all of Twitter and that he would have a legion of people beating down his door to replace them for the opportunity to work for the Great Elon Musk (and was likely just as shocked when nobody clicked "yes" on that stupid email, leaving him with just the people who are stuck there due to visa concerns, and the hardest of hardcore bootlickers). He's not just an idiot, he's an idiot who's bought fully into his own hype, so trying (and failing) to anoint himself King of the Chuds via Twitter really wouldn't be all that out of character for him (and neither is the fact that he's doing it in the stupidest ways possible).

It worked for his previous companies because SpaceX and Tesla gets nerds with savior complexes in the door, but no one's going to jump on board a sinking social media platform because they want to change the world.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Alas, the .post domain is only for postal service types of things.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This innocuous nothing post I made on nextdoor is now over 100 replies from boomers who assume every software dev is 20, gargling trump's balls, yelling about minimum wage, etc

Nextdoor owns.

e:
oops I forgot this one

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 21, 2022

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Not too late to pivot to post.bike and also update your website with the admittance that everyone loving hates social media, at the core of their heart.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sockser posted:

This innocuous nothing post I made on nextdoor is now over 100 replies from boomers who assume every software dev is 20, gargling trump's balls, yelling about minimum wage, etc

Nextdoor owns.

What is this fresh new hell, why are the colors so garish, and why is everyone's opinion utter trash?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Sockser posted:

Nextdoor owns.

Thanks Sockser!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thanks!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TulliusCicero posted:

What is this fresh new hell, why are the colors so garish, and why is everyone's opinion utter trash?

Just nextdoor being nextdoor

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Thank you!

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

2001 a space odyssey going through the stargate scene except at the end you're doomscrolling on facebook in the year 2076 and "once in a lifetime" by the talking heads is playing on repeat

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ups_rail posted:

So why dont they buy accounts and go to cspam?

What makes you think they aren't already there

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chainclaw posted:

Don't the coal rollers hate Musk? They're all over on the Trump side of the rightwing fence, aren't they?

No. They love him for pissing people off. I cannot tell you how Manu conversations I've heard or been part of at work the past week where it's just guys talking about how great musk is for making those pussy rear end people quit cause they don't wanna work.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Frank Frank posted:

Just nextdoor being nextdoor

It's not. I see loads of these terrible nextdoor screenshots and they're nearly always American.

I'm in Ireland and my nextdoor feed is just lost/found pets, people looking to offload unwanted items for free, or complaints about bin collection. I've never seen anything remotely political on there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's not. I see loads of these terrible nextdoor screenshots and they're nearly always American.

I'm in Ireland and my nextdoor feed is just lost/found pets, people looking to offload unwanted items for free, or complaints about bin collection. I've never seen anything remotely political on there.

That’s like saying Twitter and Facebook aren’t toxic shitpiles because some sweet grandmas post about bake sales.

Nextdoor is staggeringly bad even by social network standards

https://the-ard.com/2022/01/31/nextdoor-racist-problem-modernizes-racial-profiling/?amp=1

quote:

it’s been labeled “the social network of systemic racism”

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2022

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sockser posted:

Nextdoor owns.

e:
oops I forgot this one

kill everyone who lives near you, tia

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I genuinely did not know nextdoor operates in Ireland. I assumed it didn't since I've never heard of anyone using it, so in the relevant thread I have occasionally posted stuff from my town's Facebook group, which is overwhelmingly kind and positive.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo did we miss this?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1594737017094545413

because that's just :negative:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's been 48 hours and Trump hasn't actually used the account, soooooooooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo did we miss this?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1594737017094545413

because that's just :negative:

Miss what?