Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Gort posted:

What do other players do when their states are in turmoil? I just sort of ignore it and eventually it goes away on it's own, and I know there's the "Violent Suppression" decree I could use if I needed to, but I was wondering if there were tools beyond that.

cops make the turmoil do less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gort posted:

What do other players do when their states are in turmoil? I just sort of ignore it and eventually it goes away on it's own, and I know there's the "Violent Suppression" decree I could use if I needed to, but I was wondering if there were tools beyond that.

yeah i just ignore it lol

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gort posted:

I've just been ignoring it. The turmoil goes away on its own once the number of radicals goes down, which you should be trying to do anyway by various means.

Violent Suppression gets disabled if you have good laws (guaranteed liberties I think?), so I've never actually tried it. There's also a decree that expands welfare payments, but I think that might or might affect the turmoil depending on why the pops are pissed off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why is the cotton gin just a throughput bonus rather than a production method? That seems like a weird outlier.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Another thing they should fix regarding AI balance is to make the overlord more controlling vis-à-vis the puppets/dominions and more prone to intervene if they fall out of line ideologically. I’ve turned my Cape Colony into a communist vanguard dictatorship without any reaction from the UK, which I doubt would have happened irl. They should demand a regime change the moment you start radicalizing.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Gort posted:

Either ignore it/invest in cops/build a bunch of poo poo there if there's peasants/unemployed. Right now I'm at the part of the game where spending your whole Investment Pool at once is tough, so that last one might not be available.

I really wanted to build a Worker's Coop for Russia in my run, but it's starting to chug and become unstable, so I might put the game back down for a while until that's fixed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Having done a bunch of warring now, the models of little batteries on the map are very poo poo and could very much benefit from some depictions of actual people or at least the bullet emissions coming from the right places. The 2D art that pops up OTOH is super evocative, dang. Seeing the contrast of an industrial army with dark, towering siege guns erupting into fire against a backdrop of smoke, fighting against a picture of dudes against a clear blue sky made me feel kind of sorry for what I was doing in a way Paradox-game war has never hit me before. Then all the armies being made of actual pops you can see models of in peacetime too…

Not having to madly scramble microing around probably helps actually internalize it better too. The war definitely needs some more passes to be “good” but I’m enjoying it a lot.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mandoric posted:

Also note, "market access" is entirely a pathfind from the state in question to the market capital (usually, but not always, either your capital if independent or your suzerain's capital if not) that multiplies the initial 100% at each step by % of infrastructure available (for land) or % of convoys available (for sea).

You can't, say, build self-sufficient economies in both America and the Phillipines, or Honshu and Manchuria, or European Russia and along the Amur, and have them stay working perfectly on their own even if your commerce is being raided or you haven't finished sufficient rail capacity through the Urals and past Lake Baikal; the only solution to limited MA other than solving what's reducing the MA is to have a balanced market in each individual state, something that's near-impossible given how basic sulfur, iron, and coal all are/how rare it is to have all three mines available.

Put another way, it's kind of like modern American grocery shipping where just about everything gets distributed through Chicago even if it's manufactured a county or two over from you.

Ah, I was wondering why my Lanfang playthroughs ended up with such massive economic crashes whenever China was getting pillaged by the euros. I thought it was just that I'd accidentally built my domestic economy badly, but this makes a lot more sense.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

scaterry posted:

You can destroy China's market access in a single war using this strat. Liberate Joseon, take the two counties surrounding their market capital, snipe the only two ports they have and suddenly everyone is starving. Even though 99% of China is still connected to each other, they can't reach the market capital so they just give up

Regions with zero market access should probably splinter into a separate market to solve that problem.

How does this work with treaty ports btw? If you have a treaty port in a state with 0% market access, can the holder of the treaty port still get full access to the neighbouring market?

Koramei posted:

Having done a bunch of warring now, the models of little batteries on the map are very poo poo and could very much benefit from some depictions of actual people or at least the bullet emissions coming from the right places. The 2D art that pops up OTOH is super evocative, dang. Seeing the contrast of an industrial army with dark, towering siege guns erupting into fire against a backdrop of smoke, fighting against a picture of dudes against a clear blue sky made me feel kind of sorry for what I was doing in a way Paradox-game war has never hit me before. Then all the armies being made of actual pops you can see models of in peacetime too…

Not having to madly scramble microing around probably helps actually internalize it better too. The war definitely needs some more passes to be “good” but I’m enjoying it a lot.

I love seeing craters and fires whenever I look at invaded countries. There are many good bits of flavour that the models seem so very lame in comparison.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Why is the cotton gin just a throughput bonus rather than a production method? That seems like a weird outlier.

minimizes complexity of the game + the cotton gin was pretty much a necessity for economical production of cotton so its not much of a choice

it is a bit incongruent with the idea of bessemer steel being a production method but :shrug:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Regions with zero market access should probably splinter into a separate market to solve that problem.

The problem there is that the entire simulation is built around a country belonging to one and only one market. Splitting a country into submarkets is fundamentally not a thing it can do. I guess you could split the country. More realistically the AI should consider moving market capitals after losing/gaining territory if doing so will connect more of its industry, which'll fix most of it.

It's rare that you run into issues where a market capital gets isolated unless a player is intentionally trying to do an exploit. It happens to parts of Prussia sometimes, I think? It's not a huge issue.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

How does this work with treaty ports btw? If you have a treaty port in a state with 0% market access, can the holder of the treaty port still get full access to the neighbouring market?

Treaty ports are technically just a province you conquer that confers special privileges on any adjacent markets (no tariffs, can't be embargoed(?)). It's totally unrelated to market access since it's part of your market, not theirs

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Minimizing complexity is one thing, but as I understand it the main reason the cotton gin was historically relevant was that it drastically reduced the amount of manual labor needed for cotton plantations, thus weakening the slaveowners' economic advantages. Which seems like it should be the entire reason for including it as a tech - it's a textbook real-world example for V3's core motif of new production methods changing the way people work and the unforeseen knock-on effects that has in the political realm. It would be like Crusader Kings not having any special mechanics for Jerusalem - isn't that the canonical case of the thing your game is about?

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Is there any way to control or manipulate the forming of political parties? I just had the Bougie/Industrialist fascist party win an election with 100% of the vote because the trade union/military/Intelligentsia Social Democratic party ceased to exist without a popup during the election cycle.

I realize I can just not pass any of their lovely laws, but I have no idea why even after 3 years of everyone else being out of the government their has been zero pressure to create a new party. None of the remaining FOUR non-marginalized groups have any interest in joining the fascists nor even standing as their own parties.

Anybody had this happen or got any ideas?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think new parties usually don't form until an election starts, but don't quote me on that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

minimizes complexity of the game + the cotton gin was pretty much a necessity for economical production of cotton so its not much of a choice

it is a bit incongruent with the idea of bessemer steel being a production method but :shrug:

If that's the case then it probably should be a lot bigger than 25%. Look at other production methods. Like upgrading to sawmills literally doubles your lumber output.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

megane posted:

Minimizing complexity is one thing, but as I understand it the main reason the cotton gin was historically relevant was that it drastically reduced the amount of manual labor needed for cotton plantations, thus weakening the slaveowners' economic advantages. Which seems like it should be the entire reason for including it as a tech - it's a textbook real-world example for V3's core motif of new production methods changing the way people work and the unforeseen knock-on effects that has in the political realm. It would be like Crusader Kings not having any special mechanics for Jerusalem - isn't that the canonical case of the thing your game is about?

The way I've heard it, the cotton gin reducing the amount of manual labor was one of the few things that made slavery based cotton plantations profitable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You are correct. The Gin's invention makes the cotton fields into gold mines overnight.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Yes, the introduction of the cotton gin resulted in a big big increase in slavery.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Yes, the cotton gin massively increased the power of the slaveocracy in the short and medium term

edit: oops

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ah, fair enough.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yes, the

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a mod that makes it so man of wars can't sink ironclads?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Also it seems that mechanically plantations just don't get production methods until reasonably late in the game. So I suppose it would be inconsistent no matter what way they did it.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

is there a mod that makes it so man of wars can't sink ironclads?

Don't know, but that would be a trivial one to make yourself. Just edit the numbers in the Naval Base production methods so there are bigger gaps between them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bold Robot posted:

I've just been ignoring it. The turmoil goes away on its own once the number of radicals goes down, which you should be trying to do anyway by various means.

Violent Suppression gets disabled if you have good laws (guaranteed liberties I think?), so I've never actually tried it. There's also a decree that expands welfare payments, but I think that might or might affect the turmoil depending on why the pops are pissed off.

It's hard to tell the impact of militarized police (and it's a late-game option that requires a high level technology to unlock), but it seems to "help" with radicals somewhat. Even with public health reducing mortality, high turmoil will push past what your public health will manage and will "peacekeep" the number of radicals down over time.

Granted, this only really works if you have an excess of peasants or unemployed workers that you can't build factories fast enough to employ.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

If that's the case then it probably should be a lot bigger than 25%. Look at other production methods. Like upgrading to sawmills literally doubles your lumber output.

Some of the low-level techs are just really low impact. For example Paddle Steamers gives a fat 10% bonus to convoy production, a modifier that AFAIK nothing else in the game uses. They seem like they're filler techs that exist to make low-tech-start tags have more catching up to do. Or they exist as a technical proof-of-concept -- forcing some modifier to exist and be possible to apply.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is the best economic system to run once you become a council republic? I usually run Laissez-Faire for the huge investment pool, but that won't work with council republic. I think I read a few pages ago that Command Economy secretly sucks. I guess Interventionism seems like the winner?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fray posted:

Don't know, but that would be a trivial one to make yourself. Just edit the numbers in the Naval Base production methods so there are bigger gaps between them.

if its so easy why hasnt anyone done it

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

What is the best economic system to run once you become a council republic? I usually run Laissez-Faire for the huge investment pool, but that won't work with council republic. I think I read a few pages ago that Command Economy secretly sucks. I guess Interventionism seems like the winner?

Interventionism makes sense - subsidies when and where you need them. Laissez-Faire actually seems like it wouldn't be the worst though if you're going to run a deficit. Even without the investment pool, the cheaper loans are quite strong.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It's a couple of files. If you want to do it, just go ahead and do it. I've made a couple of tweaks in a personal mod that changes how infrastructure/taxation works because I dislike the way that per-state bonuses work.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Be the change you want. Or don't.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

only mod i need is one that removes the red stink lines from turmoil

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fuligin posted:

only mod i need is one that removes the red stink lines from turmoil

but that's how you can tell when people are revolting

:dadjoke:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Anyone else having a problem where you win a battle and only take a single province? Did I gently caress something up?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

no paradox did

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Anyone else having a problem where you win a battle and only take a single province? Did I gently caress something up?

Could have been an unfavorable roll, mud+chemical warfare would do it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do you think there's a way they could add peaceful diplo-annexing? It seems really counter-intuitive that the best-case result to incorporate a neighbor in a friendly manner is to get a friendly protectorate relationship through customs union and then protectorate someone, then completely tank your relationship and expel diplomats and whatever else, until you can DP->puppet->annex them. This seems very frustrating. I can sorta understand it because it gives neighbors an opportunity to intervene in the different gradations of integration via the DPs, but it would be nice if there was a "friendly" diplomatic play where their willingness to back down was based off how much they liked you, not hated you, or similar.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I really hope they do flavor nicely in DLC. HOI4s newspapers and focus trees really did a whole lot of storytelling

E: also im really happy that you can zoom in a bunch and watch little towns grow and change over time. It is extremely my jam

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

buglord posted:

I really hope they do flavor nicely in DLC. HOI4s newspapers and focus trees really did a whole lot of storytelling

E: also im really happy that you can zoom in a bunch and watch little towns grow and change over time. It is extremely my jam

love it, wish it was toned down a bit for the sake of my graphics card and cause you get some incredible urban sprawl that should feel rarer outside a few places by the end date